Thread: black things

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default black things

Hi ,

In my bulletstorm I have 2 black bars up the screen and down the screen I would like to know how can I take them off
    I've never had this problem in other games

God King

I guess you have a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor, right?
    I have one too. I'm not sure whether its controlled by the game's ini or not, but the inis are locked anyway and I don't recommend to change that as it is not allowed by Epic and PCF. And I'm not sure how that would affect online play and if it would be seen as cheating.
    They made the game with 16:9 in mind so nope, there is nothing you can do about that.

Try to ignore them, imagine it as a game presented as a "first person movie" (similar to the first person scene in the DooM-movie), it worked for me.
    Apart from that transitions between cutscenes and gameplay elements are smoother because both have those black bars, if you could change that, every scene would have looked odd with the bars compared to the gameplay (as you cannot change this anymore, those are matinees recorded with a software in 16:9, that's why I think this might be why you are not allowed to change it).
    Last edited by Sly.; 01-28-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

I dont know I have 1440 x 900 screen every game I play I have an option to choose 16 :9 and I always play with 16:9

God King

Ok, this is weird... Could you post a screenshot maybe? It could be possible that it's a bug.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

a screenshot about what?

God King

A screenshot of the game. It could be that we're talking about different black bars or that it's a bug, only a screenshot of the game can tell. Just launch some Echo map and take a screenshot. You'll have to use some external program to take one or you use the print key on your keyboard and paste it in Paint and upload it either as an attachment here on this forum or via some image hosting site like imageshack. For this its best to save the picture as a jpg before doing so, bitmaps take ages to load. If you're using imageshack, please don't forget to set it to "do not resize picture". Since that option is available many people upload a resized picture without knowing it which has a resolution of around 600x400p which makes it hard to recognize anything.

S l y .

God King

Oh, yeah, pretty sure this has to do with the resolution. You seem to have an "exotic" screen format, just like mine. Mine is 5/4, not very common. Most screen formats are 4:3 and 16:9. Yours is 8/5, that would be probably the reason why you have these black bars.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

and how can I take them off? it only happens in bulletstorm

God King

There's nothing you can do. It's the way the game is made.

S l y .

Iron Guard

There is program calles Flawless widescreen. Heres example link.

http://www.gamebanana.com/dukenukemf...gamefiles/2360

Not sure If it would work on Bullestorm. All i know that it was used by The Witcher 2 players before patch 1.3 :P.
    Hope it would help.

Edit:

Ok. Theres maybe other way, but i'm not sure if it works properly. Firsty u had to dowload ini encrypter (if you can't find it send me PM, then i will try to help you with that), put it inside C:\Users\(NameofUser)\Documents\My Games\BulletStorm\StormGame\Config

At least it looks like that on Vista. Basically u have to found it somewhere in your account location.

Then you have to open folder where you installed your Bulletstorm/Engine/Config and take BaseEngine.ini to the Config folder in your documents where you have your encrypter. Then drag ini to the encrypter icon. Ini was succesfully encrypted. Open BaseEngine.ini and find lines which looks like this(ctrl+F is your friend):

ResX=1280
    ResY=720

And change it to values you need. Save the file, drag to encrypter again and move ini to its original directory. I think it should work, but i don't guarantee anything. And by the way. I think that game sets ini's to their standard values when you change anything in options menu.
    Last edited by Fartuess; 01-30-2012 at 12:19 PM.