Register

Welcome to the Epic Games Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Key drops in NG

Iron Guard

Default Key drops in NG

The amount of gold one gets from gold bags in NG is so low ($19-$100) it's not even worth the effort to pick them up. So the main source of "income" if you will comes from keys.

Here is a list of places (or occasions) where one can get a key 100% of the time in each NG:
    • RB1. Small key from the chest after killing the first enemy (Horned Wilding).
    • RB1. Thane V1. Medium key near the chair to the left of Thane. (not obvious at all, thanks to the forum for the tip)
    • Any RB. Small key to the right of Archivest (found mid-way through the cut scene prior to the fight).
    • Any RB. Medium Key drop after killing "the Beast" in the arena for the 1st time.
    • Any RB, Large key from killing MX-Goliath.
    • Use Key treasure map, get a key each time you go to top of the Thane tower (look and click to your right). Large key for the first time, and small keys afterwards.

Here are the additional places/occasions where I also have found a key (and the approximate chance)
    • In the beginning of any RB. Small key lying on the ground near the lower-left corner of the screen. <10%
    • Any RB. Small key from the chest near the castle gate after killing the second enemy. 10-20%.
    • Any RB. Small key lying on the ground near the chest to your left before or after killing the second enemy. <10%
    • Any RB. Key drop after killing the second enemy near the castle gate. I have gotten small, medium, and even one large key (after killing Fel Siren). Very rare. <5%
    • The side entry in the plaza (where the enemy drops down from a hole). One can get a small key from either key drop or the chest. 10-20%
    • Any RB. In the Library hallway. Lying on top of the railing to your right. 10%
    • Any RB, The chest to the right after entering the open arena. 10%

There may be other random key-drop after a battle, but they are too rare and sporadic for me to remember.
    Last edited by ruggedland; 06-03-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: updated for V1.2

Redeemer

I find small keys in the grass mound near the small chest before you kill the second titan but you might be able to see it better after you killed it and it's about 20% of the time, Also i have found them as you enter the hallway ( The hallway near the fountain area the one you must go through on first time in the game) I find them sitting on the handrail on the upper floor on the right I also get those 20% of the time.
    Sorry if my directions are not clear if need be i will try to make them clearer or try to explain a different way
    That's What She Said!!!
    Dual is the skill of Champions™
    According to the Simpsons, In Australia we play Knifey-Spooney in our local pubs

Nice info
    Don't those percentages depend from the Perk drop item gems?
    "Skillbuilding as a lifestyle"
    The God King Club ID#1|Ultimate GK Slayer |True Jedi |
    NG Code follower
    =Dual Guide=

Redeemer

:O Do those work for keys? I could possibly find them every RB if that works
    That's What She Said!!!
    According to the Simpsons, In Australia we play Knifey-Spooney in our local pubs

Iron Guard

I normally wears gold+ gem. If ItemDrop gems works for keys, I may start wearing them instead (or alternate).

Aussi - Yes, I've founds keys in both places as well. I'll add them to the list.

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by ruggedland View Post
    . [*]Any RB, Large key from killing MX-Goliath
    AFAIK, this only drops the first time you defeat him. At least in OG, not played through NG enough yet.

Redeemer

It gets dropped every time in NG because you have to go to the next NG to fight him again
    That's What She Said!!!

There is usually a small key to the right side of the Archivist. You can get it once you trigger the cutscene. Not sure if there is an 100% chance of the key appearing.

Redeemer

Only while he is alive?
    That's What She Said!!!

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by -Nightslayer- View Post
    There is usually a small key to the right side of the Archivist. You can get it once you trigger the cutscene. Not sure if there is an 100% chance of the key appearing.
    Are you looping through rebirth 1? Because you're only supposed to see it one time. Haven't seen it since I picked it up. It's just like the Thane key.

@Aussie, it's late in the cutscene before you kill him. It's easy to skip over if using fast-forward.
    ​There can be only one!

I tried it in NG+ and it has appeared so far in all of them. In OG, once you pick it up you don't see it anymore.

Iron Guard

Confirmed. Saw it in the middle of the long cut scene (when Archivest is making his speech) before the fight. I was fast-forwarding all the time till you mentioned it. Added it to the 100% list.

I also saw a small key to the right of MX-Goliath today (half-way up the wall). But it's not repeatable and probably a rare occurrence.
    Last edited by ruggedland; 01-15-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruggedland View Post
    I normally wears gold+ gem. If ItemDrop gems works for keys, I may start wearing them instead (or alternate).
    It's not instead, cause perk drop gems are not hexagonal. If it works, it'd be a good decision for NG since there keys are the main gold farming way
    NG Code follower
    =Dual Guide=

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ruggedland, can you please make a list of Key drops in OG as well?

Iron Guard

I haven't spent much time in OG myself, so I'll leave that to OGer like Darth to compile that. I imagine the difference between the two is small for key drops.

"OGer Darth", nice abbreviation!
    NG Code follower
    =Dual Guide=

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yes I was about to ask Darth, because he already has helped me out a lot, but you started the topic so I thought it was only fair to ask you in first case.

Redeemer

Thanks for the info, I just jumped to NG, this will help alot
    "Everberry Pie is to die for!"---Raidriar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oov4sUHDG3I -IB1 Story Slideshow

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny1st View Post
    can you please make a list of Key drops in OG as well?
    Hey Johnny, I assume that the keys drop in all the same places for OG and NG. The only exceptions are the Thane and Archivist key since they will only be there once for each time that you go through rebirth 1 (you will keep seeing them with new NGs).

The map of the castle also has key locations you might want to check out.
    Last edited by DarthDuck; 01-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    ​There can be only one!

I have also found a medium key during the cut scene at the top balcony after climbing the tree for the first time in each NG. Hope that makes sense.
    is this thing on?

Iron Guard

Updated OP for v1.2
    Last edited by ruggedland; 06-03-2012 at 01:34 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've got an extensive guide on the wiki here that I occasionally update. I'm far too lazy to remake everything in a thread here, just thought I'd post.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I found a key the other day laying on top of the pile of machinery to the left of the door that leads to the top of the tower in the MX-Goliath room. Was a small key. Found on a rebirth after killing MX-Goliath.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I make money off titans...
    I get +/- 250.000 per kill...
    Siris' Revenge
    hated by all©

lvl 800+/NG^16 RB 12+/HP:60000/Att:1000/Shield:250/Magic:300

Owner of a Spectrum and a Darkfire +2000

Skaarj

I've also picked up a medium key during at NG+ 1 to 10 around the top of the stairs heading out of the Stone Demon cave area... Though I haven't gotten one there in the last three or so new games. Still, it seems to be a worthwhile place to check, especially on the first go round during an OG.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Kqd1 View Post
    I've also picked up a medium key during at NG+ 1 to 10 around the top of the stairs heading out of the Stone Demon cave area... Though I haven't gotten one there in the last three or so new games. Still, it seems to be a worthwhile place to check, especially on the first go round during an OG.
    This key Can be found quite often. The exact location is on the small ledge to the right of the stairs.
    You can see the ledge when the Blue Circle is, that indicates the way to the stairs.
    The Blue Circle circles the Ledge and also marks the location of the Medium Key.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by CreHater; 07-12-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    IB3 Levels: Siris 312 Awakening 582 - Isa 314 Awakening 582 - WoS 8550
    IB2 Levels: Siris 8000 NG200 - GK 19950
    No glitches, no cheats --- GameCenter ID: CreHater