Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SCOTT KOHLMEIER

Default Tried Out Gears of War 2 - Again...

I found my old copy of Gears of War 2 and wondered what my level in it was before, since I gave up on the game a long while ago. I know the Gnasher Gold Weapon Skin would be a wonderful addition, and thought I might try to unlock it.

I popped the game in, updated it and saw the old familiar dashboard. Loaded up a game of Guardian, which I loved back in the day. Entered the lobby, and seen my level. A pathetic 37. "Damn... this is going to take a while to reach 100." I thought. Maps were then brought up, and Blood Drive was the map chosen. As the counter reached zero, I clenched my controller and was excited to begin the game.

Game started, and then... I stopped and began to refresh my memory with the interface. Threw up my Tac-Com. "Hmm Fuzzy as ****. Can't see anything. At least the team mates are showing up." I thought to myself. I then began to push forward, and our team was Oscar-Mike headed for the enemy. It was at this point I stopped, and did some intel on my situation here. What in the Hell?!" I said to myself, as I began to take note of the speed we were moving. "This is just like a Private Match with the bots on Casual difficulty" I expressed to myself.

If you have never played a match with casual difficulty bots, well they all move in this slow-trotting-like motion, and everything seems to be crawling at a slow-ass pace. Kind of how a sloth moves. Well, now that you have that image in your mind, please take note.

Here are some other things I noticed:
    Textures: The map/characters = Poor
    Gameplay: Movement/Animation/Fluidity = Poor
    Sounds: Prescott's Voice at the End of a Match = Poor (He sounded nothing, like the new)

I do not know what happened to the game, but it is just became incredibly distorted. I never remember it flowing like that, or the pace of it. If that is how it is always been, then ladies and gentleman Gears of War 3 has spoiled me. I just cannot begin to express how much more amazing this game is then Gears of War 2, and if I had a copy of Gears of War 1 I would also try to compare it now, since it has me interested in how much of an amazing technological advancement and years of experience that has been used to create the best 3rd Person Competitive Shooter out there. That is Gears of War 3.

Now as much as I would love to have the Golden Gnasher skin, I cannot bare another moment of Gears of War 2. It is old, and is like comparing Windows 98 to Windows 7. A Wagon to the Automobile, and so on.
    I find it amazing how we always, always forget how good we have it or miss the things we once took for granted.

So enjoy your Golden Gnasher, I had missed the event with the insane xp, thus unfortunately I will not try to earn my GoW 2 wings. However, I do have a wonderful Chrome Skin for it, which matches my Chrome Hammerburst skin. Take care Gears and I will maybe get the chance to verse you in Gears of War 3.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Toxic Laxatives PSN ID: BALDINGVENGEANCE

I just played gears 2 few days ago. I am a damn level 9. I got reset 2 times. Blegh.
    Once more into the fray,
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know,
    Live and die on this day,
    Live and die on this day...

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Felix brehh

I completely agree with the speed of it.
    When I used to play it, I guess I got used to it, but I started playing again, and it was like the whole floor was tar, I literally pulled the analog stick as far as possible thinking i would move faster.

It was very frustrating, especially when I'm going to hit somebody with the gnasher, I end up hurting him, instead of the gib. (too far, too slow, not close enough just yet)

gah, frustrating slug movement.
    Thanks to JayWangYu for the LGS code!
    Thanks Capt23n for the Com Dom code!
    Thanks again to Capt23n for the Savage Grenadier Elite!

SCOTT KOHLMEIER

@Felix

Yes, lets just let Gears of War 2 die in dignity.

I just cannot see how people would even consider going back to any previous gears. On a bad day, Gears of War 3 just trumps over the past installments.

Boomshot
    Soloing Top Lane. Can't camp your tower I got perfect harass.

I enjoyed playing it a month ago for the gnasher battles but only because I had a few buddies. Otherwise yeah when the games hit a lag spike it was atrocious and overall the quality just felt poor.
    Need help with the 500 Silverback Rocket kills achievement? Visit the Silverback Service Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Totallysafe View Post
    I have never seen someone give someone else a code because they were fed up. This is a first.
    Enjoy your LGS EXTREME NOOBHUNTER. Thanks FL4K for my Mech Baird and III LYCAN III for my SGE.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Affinity vSn

I haven't played it since Gears 3 has dropped, but I have watched some of my old videos and such, and I completely agree, it seemed like such a clunky, foreign game. A lot of things are like that, like when I re-watched the first 2 Harry Potter movies I was just like no way the actors were that young lol.
    My Awesome GoW3 Content ^_^: Youtube.com/AffinityvSn
    The channel is dedicated to my life as a Gears of War player!
    Includes game play, commentaries, highlights/montages, reviews, and fun ^_^

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Fishead John View Post
    I enjoyed playing it a month ago for the gnasher battles but only because I had a few buddies. Otherwise yeah when the games hit a lag spike it was atrocious and overall the quality just felt poor.
    Speaking of lag!
    You won't believe it, every game I joined, I literally glitch the f**k out. I was shooting everybody! But my ammo never went down and I never killed anybody. I was so shocked, I literally smiled and said, " *** * *** * ***"
    Yes, a continuous outburst of cursing. With a smile, of course.

I have to admit, RAAM looked better in gears 2, not like Gears 3 where they gave him those ugly Christmas lights on his chest and back.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LT3 MichMasteR

congrats....?
    signature removed by admin~ content not allowed

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: R o IN I IN

Lol i was stuck at lvl 96 for almost a year because i couldnt stand the slower cms. It took almost 3 months be4 the gears 3 beta to get my wings and only played gears2 once since. Lmao never going back

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MARKY310

I'll always love Gears 2 over Gears 3. It's like your first girlfriend. No matter all the times she b***** at you and thought you were cheating or something, you had those great 1st experiences (I only played campaign on G1 then immediately jumped on G2). Gears 3 is like your rebound chick. Does all the same things (plus more) but its not mind blowing no more

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rraymos

I played the other day and it just didn't feel as fluid to me. And while I did have fun with gears 2 back in it's heyday. I just couldn't go back to it. Gears 3 has spoiled me. This was a great thread by the way!
    Gnasher>DBS
    So, that Savage Kantus and Mechanic Baird just gathering dust in your drawer? I've got a place for them to play
    GT: Rraymos
    Level 100: 1/2/12

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Also, did you take a gander at that gnasher? I downed somebody across the map!

The new Gears 3 players would do a back flip and cry in the corner after seeing what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishead John View Post
    I just play it for the campaign now. I frequently play through all three if them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMcClure View Post
    Nice Find. It was a legit bug and fixed in the retail version today.

So once Gears 3 releases, when you use the torque, take a bit of pride in knowing you helped make it better

SCOTT KOHLMEIER

haha i think its great many agree. It's just like, "really? This is what it was like?"

By the way since nobody else has said it, I will. "Cool story, bro."

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KnokaBrokaTowah PSN ID: KnokaBrokaTowah

I think Prescott sounded so much better in 2.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MARKY310

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Theron View Post
    He had a different VA in 3, and I agree, good sir

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Affinity vSn

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Theron View Post
    In between rounds, wasn't it Hoffman that talked and not Prescott?? Am i losing my mind?
    My Awesome GoW3 Content ^_^: Youtube.com/AffinityvSn
    The channel is dedicated to my life as a Gears of War player!
    Includes game play, commentaries, highlights/montages, reviews, and fun ^_^

SCOTT KOHLMEIER

Hey sorry if I made a mistake. It might have been Hoffman, I had the volume lower so I may have not heard it correctly and instead assumed it, since I have become familiar with Gears 3.

If I'm wrong then, I apologize and thanks for the correction.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GetBaffinity View Post
    In between rounds, wasn't it Hoffman that talked and not Prescott?? Am i losing my mind?
    Nah, Hoffman was only in Gears 1, while Gears 2 and 3 used Prescott.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Prime Regicide

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_Brehh View Post
    Nah, Hoffman was only in Gears 1, while Gears 2 and 3 used Prescott.
    ADD: Gears of war 3 has a new voice actor for Prescott.

GT :: EvrythingUndone | LEVEL :: \\★//91 | YouTube Channel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Onyx Medals :: 55/65 | (33/43 Versus, 8/8 Campaign, 7/7 Horde, 7/7 Beast)

Thank you Cher for my awesome Lancer Prop. | Updated 12:21am Sep, 9, 2012

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by EvrythingUndone View Post
    ADD: Gears of war 3 has a new voice actor for Prescott.
    Yeah, I actually prefer the VA from Gears 2, he was more serious and had a few outbursts of anger.
    Example: "You're not done soldier, not by a long shot." and suddenly, "WHAT IN THE COG'S NAME WAS THAT?! That was a Joke! A mockery! A waste of my time and yours!"

This new Prescott sounds whiny and frail.

SCOTT KOHLMEIER

Ah good point. I forgot the old prescott, and did not realize they hired a new one. Nonetheless, the new Prescott was a good VA then, because he is supposed to make you hate him. It makes for a good counter to the hardened, front-lines Colonel Hoffman who everyone respects.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Prime Regicide

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_Brehh View Post
    Yeah, I actually prefer the VA from Gears 2, he was more serious and had a few outbursts of anger.
    Example: "You're not done soldier, not by a long shot." and suddenly, "WHAT IN THE COG'S NAME WAS THAT?! That was a Joke! A mockery! A waste of my time and yours!"

This new Prescott sounds whiny and frail.
    I agree 100%. I'm not really digging Gears 3 Prescott.

GT :: EvrythingUndone | LEVEL :: \\★//91 | YouTube Channel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Onyx Medals :: 55/65 | (33/43 Versus, 8/8 Campaign, 7/7 Horde, 7/7 Beast)

Thank you Cher for my awesome Lancer Prop. | Updated 12:21am Sep, 9, 2012

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SSFelco

i agree, i played gears 2 a month ago i think right before christmas just to play for a bit and its ridiculous how much smoother gears 3 is... i have friends that refuse to play gears 3 after playing gears 1 for years and being scarred for life by how bad gears 2 was lol

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sklorbit PSN ID: sklorbit

I like this post. People are starting to forget how bad gears 2 really was. My friend who got into gears 2 after tu6 thinks he likes gears 2 better, and I tell him all the time he doesnt understand the pain and suffering players experienced when trying to play that game before all the title updates.

I still think the game is garbage after tu6 and that gears 3 was better than gears 2 ever was on day 1.
    Thanks Wizard Toast for my Green Liquid Metal SKINS

Thrashball Cole/ Golden Hunter
    HYPE lancer/ Onyx or Gold gnasher

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Simmons x tFG

I only keep my copy to play the campaign. Haven't played it abit, but from what you said in the original post, I'm glad Gears 3 is as smooth as it is.
    I have a rendezvous with Death
    At some disputed barricade, it may be he shall take my hand
    And lead me into this dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath........
    I have a rendezvous with Death
    And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous.

I support the lifesaver movement. Get well soon, Melissa

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Still trying to get veteran gear though. I enjoy horde in Gears 2 much more. None of this money business, or fortifications. Just classic horde.
    I also noticed I get 800xp every wave regardless of how many kills I get. Slow and steady, but I'll get vet gear soon.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xNevermind1982x

Gears 3 is amazing compared to Gears 2. Gears 3 is so much better.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ViperousAmoeba

As soon as I got my Wing on Gears 2, I took the disk out and I haven't touch it since. Touched the case but not the disk. Rest in peace Gears of Lag 2.
    Gears of War 1250/1250
    Gears of War 2 1750/1750 Reset 3 times
    Gears of War 3 1235/2000 Reset 1 time, got that back up now.
    Hey Epic about that Flaming Retro ? Im I being punished for getting reset ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms A Chievement View Post
    I lol'd. Imagine if Martin Luther King had said that. "I... Have a dream, but I don't want to elaborate."

Banned

Maybe it's just the rose tinted spectacles...but i don't remember previous Gears filled with spawn-killing, nooby frag camps, campers, kill steals, etc. (Probably due to lack of TDM for one, but still.)
    But yeah; graphics and tech and suh GoW3 is best.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Evil Crimelord

Hi op

That is exactly how GoW2 always felt to those of us who played the awesome original.

Just like running in treacle, that is why so many players quit playing the game and never bothered trying 3.
    Such a shame because if they had stuck to the original formula the Gears community would now be huge.

Now with 3, they have returned to the speed & movement of 1 but ruined it with overpowered rifles.
    Gamertag: Evil Crimelord GoW 1250/1250 ... GoW2 1500/1750 (I hated it!) GoW3 1600/1750
    Mande merdam et morere!
    Who said I was uneducated?
    I can't believe that all the xp I have received since getting my wings has been lost!!!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Britneyy Spears

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT KOHLMEIER View Post
    @Felix

I just cannot see how people would even consider going back to any previous gears. On a bad day, Gears of War 3 just trumps over the past installments.
    ehh gears 3 overall has better features but doesnt have that......i dunno but nothing to make me want to play for hours and hours....i still play gesrs 2 from time to get a few games of guardian back...i know some of us guardian plays go back because frankly the playlist in gears 3 sucks....but thats personal preference....im not a fan of alpha (no hb and 4v4), TDM is boring, execution is cool only playing stacked....warzone is full of the easiest plays and is boring, KOTH is for bad players or teams who want to dominate bad players lol...

I'd go back to play it, just to whore it out since I didn't get the chance to play it much at all. Only reached Lvl 45 and only cos they had a Horde Tickers only just before GOW 3 was released. Also looking at beating it on Insane...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: horkrux

@Felix

That's because you have never played them seriously. I've tried out Gears 1 on 360 the last few weeks (only had the PC version back then) and i realized: IF your latency is right, this game can still be very fun despite the release of Gears 3. Sadly it only happened to me once, the other games were all virtually unplayable.
    Can't share your opinion regarding sound and graphics either. It's just not true. The graphics style was definitely different, but not worse. I dislike what Prescott says after a Gears 3 match 'Hurry up'???!!! HURRY UP!!?? His Gears 2 sounds were more atmospheric than what he has to say now imo.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ThEvilHasLanded

I never felt the need to play it again (Got 100% Achievements)

I may run through the 3 campaigns again for fun
    GearsCON Staff
    Forum Custom Lobby Montages | Official GCON Channel
    Raised By Wolves
    Twitter @ThEvilHasLanded

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rvs300z

I play it every now and again. It feels like I'm moving in slow motion. But it's good to play gaurdian again.
    \\*// E x e c u t i o n
    _,,,,,_....I.... .........,,_i\____
    (_.-|X|__RVS___|-..._____))»»»»
    » /_/{ ||*||=,,-,,=/
    ```````\__\

Boomshot

I played Gears 2 the other day it was so slow compared to Gears of War 3, Gears 3 runs alot smoother and more easy to play.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: K5 stifmeister

Gears is like 5 bucks used at gamestop get it
    Hello there check out my
    Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/civil238
    Corpser sculpture - http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...2#post29520842
    Amazing Gears cake - http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...1#post29520831
    Please comment and share your thoughts\

Seriously...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DenyThisFlesh

I can't imagine myself ever playing Gears 1 or 2 multiplayer again. Gears 3 is so much better. I will play the campaigns again though.
    Thank you to Gear1987 for my Savage Grenadier Elite!
    Thank you to IBLEEDgears for the Jungle Tai!
    Thank you to Gears_Of_Law for the Judgment Team Metal code!
    Thank you to III LYCAN III for the Alex Brand code!
    Proud father as of 10:54pm(central time) on 7/27/2010

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XxVv DANNY vVxX

Sounds: Prescott's Voice at the End of a Match = Poor (He sounded nothing, like the new)
    its Hoffman not Prescott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast