Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L0RD oF DRAG0NS

I thought I was young trying to work up to go into the game developing industry.... I am 16 but XXWeaponXX7 is 13. At your age I was trying to figure out UT2 Editor and didn't even know about 3D Modeling... However back on topic. I am in a group with 25 other people trying to make a game but no one except literally 9 of us do anything and everyone is almost under 17 (with the exception of two). This video honestly makes tons of sense from my perspective because it describes almost all the people in our Team (BVG Studios). I am going to say it outright, I want to work at 343i or Bungie which are AAA companies, which are really high goals to even perceive. Back to my topic -> I honestly tell people at my school about my project and they say stupid stuff like Weapon mentioned "Put a nuke on the Longsword" it just doesn't work and are worthless comments or "Can I test the game?" I just extremely dislike it along with not ever being able to get into some type of Design class at my HS... Sorry I am off topic AGAIN, I have been Modeling for like 12 hours today...Anyways to make sense. This video is very true, because I have ideas but I made the mistake of not learning anything and trying to post ideas to make my own team (I am the student robot). I see it is annoying so I am going to learn more about UDK FPS system that I don't get before even trying to setup a new original project. Thanks for showing this video it has helped me figure out a few things I need to learn and do differently before anything else.
    Last edited by BloodBrothers; 01-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by BloodBrothers View Post
    I thought I was young trying to work up to go into the game developing industry.... I am 16 but XXWeaponXX7 is 13. At your age I was trying to figure out UT2 Editor and didn't even know about 3D Modeling... However back on topic. I am in a group with 25 other people trying to make a game but no one except literally 9 of us do anything and everyone is almost under 17 (with the exception of two). This video honestly makes tons of sense from my perspective because it describes almost all the people in our Team (BVG Studios). I am going to say it outright, I want to work at 343i or Bungie which are AAA companies, which are really high goals to even perceive. Back to my topic -> I honestly tell people at my school about my project and they say stupid stuff like Weapon mentioned "Put a nuke on the Longsword" it just doesn't work and are worthless comments or "Can I test the game?" I just extremely dislike it along with not ever being able to get into some type of Design class at my HS... Sorry I am off topic AGAIN, I have been Modeling for like 12 hours today...Anyways to make sense. This video is very true, because I have ideas but I made the mistake of not learning anything and trying to post ideas to make my own team (I am the student robot). I see it is annoying so I am going to learn more about UDK FPS system that I don't get before even trying to setup a new original project. Thanks for showing this video it has helped me figure out a few things I need to learn and do differently before anything else.
    Its a pleasure and as I said to the previous young man, the world is your Oyster at your age!
    If I can help in any way along the road, drop me a line on YouTube because I tend to go on there everyday answering questions, as well as trying to help young folk like yourself...

Good luck in your endeavours and take care..

Lex

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
    Its a pleasure and as I said to the previous young man, the world is your Oyster at your age!
    If I can help in any way along the road, drop me a line on YouTube because I tend to go on there everyday answering questions, as well as trying to help young folk like yourself...

Good luck in your endeavours and take care..

Lex
    Alright Thanks! I will most likely be asking alot questions about how to get FPS Arms working and of the sort but I will do that when I get home from school. Thanks for the support!

Prisoner 849

Alright Thanks! I will most likely be asking alot questions about how to get FPS Arms working and of the sort but I will do that when I get home from school. Thanks for the support!
    If you can't get me on here, make sure you message me on YouTube!
    I recently disabled messaging but now its enabled again....

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for your support, guys. This really means alot to me.

Lex, You're right. The world really is for the taking. There is so much more that we can do, that we don't. I won't forget your words... whatever they were.
    Just kidding.

To Blood Brother, I can tell you right now, you need to keep trying. Those guys in your studio that can't do anything but give a bad idea, you can't keep them around. There's no point in helping them, it'll take too long. The ideas that they will contribute, will, no doubt, hinder you in contrast to help you. If they can't model, texture art, or script for your team, they're just going to bog you down with details that only they want. I hope I'm not being controversial, but you need to do something about that. They're not there for you, they're there for themselves. For the 9 men that can script, texture, and model, you need to push them fore-ward. They can do something, and have already started climbing the learning curve. You just need to help them.
    Get ideals from other games (Think: Why was Hard Reset or Vanquish bad?) and apply them to your own. You can probably do this better than me, I'm sure of it, and I can safely assume that you're here to stay, to become something more than what you are now.
    And when your team gets to the top of the learning curve? Hope you've brought a sled.

As well, in the first video, the cardboard man says somethnig about a gun with gravity. How would you be able to change that in unrealscript? I'm thinking...

*Get the location of where the gun is pointing in the game world.
    *Set the gravity to invert direction, or invert the vectors relating to that direction altogether. (Or better, perpendicular to a surface!)
    *release a button to stop the beam.

I can see all sorts of ragdoll physics in my head right now.

Oh, and here's the link I promised.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...e.-*Onslaught*

Argh, FPS arms the bane of FPS's. I hate script ing htem.
    http://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/15/86/17/59/stirwo11.jpg

I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Blender and GIMP. You can PM me any questions you have on either of these, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by XXWeaponXX7 View Post
    Thanks for your support, guys. This really means alot to me.

Lex, You're right. The world really is for the taking. There is so much more that we can do, that we don't. I won't forget your words... whatever they were.
    Just kidding.

As well, in the first video, the cardboard man says somethnig about a gun with gravity. How would you be able to change that in unrealscript? I'm thinking...

*Get the location of where the gun is pointing in the game world.
    *Set the gravity to invert direction, or invert the vectors relating to that direction altogether. (Or better, perpendicular to a surface!)
    *release a button to stop the beam.

I can see all sorts of ragdoll physics in my head right now.

Oh, and here's the link I promised.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...e.-*Onslaught*

Argh, FPS arms the bane of FPS's. I hate script ing htem.
    Are you thinking of implementing these features then, lol..........If you succeed Let me know...........

MSgt. Shooter Person

There's no way I'm putting a gravity rifle into my game. But, It is a fun idea in the video, And I want to see how it could work.

I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Blender and GIMP. You can PM me any questions you have on either of these, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Prisoner 849

There's no way I'm putting a gravity rifle into my game. But, It is a fun idea in the video, And I want to see how it could work.

Go on do it....I want one lol

MSgt. Shooter Person

Lol...I have had moments where if I could have ripped 3ds max out of my computer and given it a good beating I would have...The same with UDK on occasion....

What these videos primarily demonstrate though is that only shear dedication, blood sweat and tears will make you a successful indie developer...
    Epic Games,Rockstar,Valve,Ubisoft etc etc are only going to employ you if you're exceptionally skilled!
    Great ideas are ten a penny !
    Actually getting down to the nuts and bolts of it and making it happen are what's needed...

As Hourences said " Game development isn't a career but a calling " and I strongly believe that!
    I totally agree, game development is no different than any other "hard work" and Hourences's saying sounds right to me as well,
    naturally it is much simpler when you work at a good game company,
    than it is to be an Indie Developer or even starting a new company etc,
    the most important fact in all this is that making games is all about selling a product,
    therefore game development is actually just a part of the big picture in a successful company!
    All I have done as 3D artist and game developer I did purely out of passion,
    unfortunately financially things still aren't working out for me as I would wish and need,
    so I am forced to do other jobs here and there to support myself , it was a struggle for me to get to this point,
    but it does give me a big personal satisfaction to do and finish things I have always dreamed about.
    However , all this made me think a lot, I learned and know so much, I really can do a lot,
    but I still have nothing , my social life was affected as well,
    working 12-16 hours\day for months just isn't right and will give you problems sooner or later,
    we live and we learn but years are passing by faster and faster... I'll never give up thou

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Jurij View Post
    I totally agree, game development is no different than any other "hard work" and Hourences's saying sounds right to me as well,
    naturally it is much simpler when you work at a good game company,
    than it is to be an Indie Developer or even starting a new company etc,
    the most important fact in all this is that making games is all about selling a product,
    therefore game development is actually just a part of the big picture in a successful company!
    All I have done as 3D artist and game developer I did purely out of passion,
    unfortunately financially things still aren't working out for me as I would wish and need,
    so I am forced to do other jobs here and there to support myself , it was a struggle for me to get to this point,
    but it does give me a big personal satisfaction to do and finish things I have always dreamed about.
    However , all this made me think a lot, I learned and know so much, I really can do a lot,
    but I still have nothing , my social life was affected as well,
    working 12-16 hours\day for months just isn't right and will give you problems sooner or later,
    we live and we learn but years are passing by faster and faster... I'll never give up thou

Ditto......Almost a carbon copy of my life...........

I'm making some money but not the millions I hoped too lol........And I'll stick to it because I enjoy it............

My motto is "Create a game, Kill bots, Blow everything up in your game, be the champ" and try to sell it one day Its great fun if nothing else!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Theres a rule: "If you hate what your doing... your working. If you love what your doing..... your playing!"

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by terranceklue View Post
    Theres a rule: "If you hate what your doing... your working. If you love what your doing..... your playing!"

.......I agree with that.....

MSgt. Shooter Person

.......I agree with that.....
    Hi Lex,

I couldn't send you a message on YouTube because it said I had to be a contact or something. Can you contact me on the forums here please ?
    I haven't messaged you on here because a lot of people don't reply to messages on the forums and I wanted to make sure you read this.

Thanks AMC.

PS. Yes my name was after Scatman Crothers by the way, . If you watch some of his music videos on YouTube he was the original hip hop man in the 1950's, long before hip hop was even born

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Yeah Lex I have not gotten a response from you on YouTube I am kendallCMPracing

Prisoner 849

Appman,

I have messaged you now on YouTube....

If you look on my channel there other ways to contact me if you're having trouble on YouTube!

Bloodbrothers,

what exactly did you want?
    If people ask me questions that have already been covered in my tutorials, I ignore them...
    If you're the guy that has asked about the last modular pawn video, I answered that by saying that video was damaged and I had to re-record a new one! When I have time...
    I don't have the time currently...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Appman,

I have messaged you now on YouTube....

If you look on my channel there other ways to contact me if you're having trouble on YouTube!

Bloodbrothers,

what exactly did you want?
    If people ask me questions that have already been covered in my tutorials, I ignore them...
    If you're the guy that has asked about the last modular pawn video, I answered that by saying that video was damaged and I had to re-record a new one! When I have time...
    I don't have the time currently...
    That was not me...

Prisoner 849

That was not me...

Ah, OK,

What did you message me about then ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Woah. Didn't realize there was a conversation going on. sorry to bumb in between you, BloodBrother and Lexluthor.

On a slightly more serious note, I got a gravity gun to work within UDK. it's really, really buggy, and has weird effect in the terrain. However, it works!" I'm thinkling of not letting it move once the player activates the gun...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Ah, OK,

What did you message me about then ?
    Properly setting up FP Arms, and what you recommend. The regular FP style, or TFP.

Prisoner 849

Woah. Didn't realize there was a conversation going on. sorry to bumb in between you, BloodBrother and Lexluthor.

On a slightly more serious note, I got a gravity gun to work within UDK. it's really, really buggy, and has weird effect in the terrain. However, it works!" I'm thinkling of not letting it move once the player activates the gun...
    Properly setting up FP Arms, and what you recommend. The regular FP style, or TFP.
    XXWeaponXX7

BloodBrothers

I properly set the first person arms up in the series, did you watch it ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi Lex, sorry to bother you again.
    I've posted a thread in the iOS section asking if Kactors are supported on iOS, do you know if they or aren't?

Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've posted a thread in the iOS section asking if Kactors are supported on iOS, do you know if they are or aren't?

Thanks

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by AppManCrothers View Post
    I've posted a thread in the iOS section asking if Kactors are supported on iOS, do you know if they are or aren't?

Thanks
    I haven't used KActor's myself on iOS but as far as I know, physics isn't supported fully on iOS yet...I'll look into it because surely by now they must have something working on the physics front!

Palace Guard

PhysX works fine on iOS.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    PhysX works fine on iOS.
    It doesn't work with characters dying..I tested it on an iPad 2 and when the character dies, he just disappears!

Banned

Here is what i think, job in the gaming industry is fun. You will have to work one way or another. Every job is a job, but you are gonna get bored working at some boring office as an accountant or whatever. When you have to work why dont you do something that you love and that is fun.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Thazzrill View Post
    Here is what i think, job in the gaming industry is fun. You will have to work one way or another. Every job is a job, but you are gonna get bored working at some boring office as an accountant or whatever. When you have to work why dont you do something that you love and that is fun.
    If only it was as simple as that

If only it was as simple as that
    It is. What part of it isn't as simple as that?

It's only hard if you don't don't love what you're doing. So if you hate it then you must not love making games, so your view on it is WAY different from everyone else. If you really love making games then it wont exactly seem like a job, more of an activity.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Dr3d1337 View Post
    It is. What part of it isn't as simple as that?

It's only hard if you don't don't love what you're doing. So if you hate it then you must not love making games, so your view on it is WAY different from everyone else. If you really love making games then it wont exactly seem like a job, more of an activity.

What? It's only the truth. If you don't like what you're doing, why do it in the first place?
    Lead 3D Modeler, Lead Texture Artist, Environment Artist
    New Society Gaming
    NSG Company Site
    NSG Facebook Page
    NSG Let's Play YouTube Channel

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

What you're missing is that people get bored because they are faced with repetitive tasks. When the repetitive task ceases to be interesting, that's when the issue takes hold. Work in accounting for a while, and the tasks you do every day become boring because you do it every day. Work in programming for a while, and it's the same.
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    What you're missing is that people get bored because they are faced with repetitive tasks. When the repetitive task ceases to be interesting, that's when the issue takes hold. Work in accounting for a while, and the tasks you do every day become boring because you do it every day. Work in programming for a while, and it's the same.
    I've given up trying to explain that point ambershee..
    I suppose if the shoe was on my foot and someone was telling me years ago that the industry wasn't any different to a 9-5 job, I'd have told them where to go

MSgt. Shooter Person

I was reading that thread "Seeking character animator for UE MMORPG" and this thread came to mind about what tyrants some video game companies are

Prisoner 849

I was reading that thread "Seeking character animator for UE MMORPG" and this thread came to mind about what tyrants some video game companies are

Yep Appman, its scandalous posting a thread by a big developer offering no money! I don't know how they've got the front to do it!

Prisoner 849

They changed it to paid now if you want a job appman

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

They haven't changed it:
    We are seeking talented character animators to work as interns, with the possibility of a paid salary soon after
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

MSgt. Shooter Person

I really enjoyed the videos, the second one was the best. They were very entertaining, but true, and I had a few laughs watching them.

Palace Guard

"possibility of a paid salary soon after" ... yes, now hop into the back of the van where a faintly visible tear stained mattress awaits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitpawz View Post
    Glue a camera to the back of the bowl? Why would you want to make that kind of movie anyway? It's sick.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    They haven't changed it:
    I didn't realise ambershee because the sly f*****s have changed the forum prefix from unpaid to paid in order to dupe people... So I just thought our comments on their thread had given them a change of heart.. Obviously not and they've made the thread even worse by changing the prefix...Outrageous !

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNUT View Post
    "possibility of a paid salary soon after" ... yes, now hop into the back of the van where a faintly visible tear stained mattress awaits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast