Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Idracil

Default False Advertisement? Xbox 360 Gears of War 3 Limited Edition 320 GB Console

So yesterday i went took the bus with my lil sis and bro so i could by this console bc we loves gears that much that id by a whole console for it. Lol.

Anyway i checked the storage and it only has 290GB instead of the 320GB advertised. Does anyone know where i can to complain about this issue?

Its just 30GB but im a GB lover. I have a 2TB external with my music and movies and i just bought at the beginning of the year and ppl told me that id never use that many GB's lol.
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe and... he's wonderful."
    -Tim Latimer
    Support the Pendulum Wars DLC! Click Here!

Redeemer

you do know that no HDD is ever the full amount of what GB it is said to be. It's always rounded up! But 30GB is a large amount of Gigs missing. I would take it back to the store that you got it from(if they sell the 320gb HDD) ask if they would swap it out! if not the contact M$
    Oh, Yeah! Feel the Heat, B!t*hes, FEEL THE HEAT!
    <DEUCES>

Redeemer

Oh and good luck with it.
    Oh, Yeah! Feel the Heat, B!t*hes, FEEL THE HEAT!
    <DEUCES>

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ELMER PHUD

Ur 2tb I bet was 1.9...

Like post above stated, never what they advertise, I think its some default software needed to make the memory work, so much per block of memory ....
    Thank You So MUCH > II EVOL ONE II < For My NEW DashBoard

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: VNobleSquirrelV

Same with our Xbox, Microsoft fills the HDD with useless files so you cant mod it.
    Gears of War is a tactical shooter, the gnasher doesn't dominate the field anymore. What are people talking about with this "code"?Gears of War was a cover-based game that demanded you to take cover when needed. This isn't Gnashers of War. If you really want Gnashers of War, you have UDK, go do it.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Drone

It's to do with the filesystem. Notice on your PC hard drive it may be advertised as 160gb but it will only be 149gb.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SNACKBAR View Post
    Ur 2tb I bet was 1.9...

Like post above stated, never what they advertise, I think its some default software needed to make the memory work, so much per block of memory ....
    Yeah, i know that usually thats how it works with hdd's its never the actually amount that is says on the packaging.

I agree, with GOWKratosCole, i think 30GB is a bit too much. I would of been fine with a 310GB and 10GB worth for system use or whatever.

I already, have alll GoW2/3 DLC on there. I ahd to transfer licenses to get my dlc to work yesterday. So would getting a new hdd require to transfer the licenses again?
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe and... he's wonderful."
    -Tim Latimer

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ELMER PHUD

License transfer (which you can only do every so often) is only needed if you get another console, not a HDD, even if u switch consoles the Dlc would.still.work.on new system you would just have to re-download it, goto download history and select download again it would say this is licensed to another console but it will still work. I have 3 systems and sometimes play In diff rooms as long as your gt has purchased the.content it will.work.on the console your gt is.currently playing on. Even without a license transfer. License transfer just makes it easier when you initially purchsse Dlc stuff, works instantly vs 1 min later (when you download again)

I think only way you have a problem.is if you have two accounts on the same.system playing the same game that.both have the dlc, then you may have a.conflict
    Thank You So MUCH > II EVOL ONE II < For My NEW DashBoard

Banned

The licences are tied to the MAC address of the console. the HDD has nothing to do with that. youll be fine.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

So i called the gamestop where i purchased the xbox. The same girl who answered the phone is the one who sold it to me, but that doesnt really matter, anyway i explained that i checked and it was only 290 GB out of the 320GB advertised an told her that i understood that it isnt always the amount said. but that 30GB is a bit to much.

She proceeded to tell me that the memory was used for the system processes (which i knew) and the dashboard, and the noises it makes. (When you open/close the disc tray via the button and turn it on/off with via the power button). She offered to give me a number that i call so someone at microsoft could tell me the specific. I was put on hold for about 7 minutes and she gave me...

the xbox support number... ( which i call every month or so i can turn of auto renewal for my lil bros' xbl, since we take advantage of the 1 month for a $1 offers, lol.)

I did a little math. (Correct me if im wrong)
    My Lil brother's xbox has 4GB internal memory. 3.3GB are the available amount for usage. So that means the .7GB are being used for the system itself.
    so .7/4 = 0.175 So 17.5% of the total memory.

If you apply this percentage to the 320GB (idk if internal memory and hhd behave the same, but assuming they do) then 17.5% of 320 is 0.175*320 = 56.

So does that means that i should be missing 56GB instead of the 30GB? Am I better of missing 30Gigs instead of 56? Lol.

im going to call xbox support later, after i make breakfast for my siblings, and see whats up.

Thanks for the help guys.
    -Tim Latimer

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ekrezem

It varies alot from system to system, but tbh 30gbs doesnt sound much, but it would also depend on the harddrive itself, alot of it has to do with what's actually advertised, what's actually are on them, and what the system actually sees on it. So honestly you lost a less than 30 gbs, since there are some already being used for system itself. I remember reading an article a while back stating that for every gb, you have a loss of about 7.0 - .02% per gb so 320 would loose about 28gbs, but again, it depends on what it actually was on it, not what was advertised, hope this helps.
    Last edited by ekrezem; 01-17-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    "Why is it that people always want that which they dont have, yet disregard that which they do?" i call it, human nature!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sentinel 187

it should say on the bow or whatever that its really 290gb, i thought that i just used like 40gb in the first few days of having my new xbox
    Baird | SGE
    Proud member of EGFC
    XBL: Sentinel 187
    Steam ID: Sentinel_187

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have a 12 gb hard drive. how messed up is that?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Felix999478

Damn xD u guys know how to warm up cold ****
    GT: Felix999478
    My Brother to the End: Gundel AvHeadi
    Thanks to you guys who gave me the Flaming Lancer, SGE and now Jungle Tai You are the best :P

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: scmark15

This gets asked alot by people buying hard drives. Manufacturer's usually go by approximently how many bytes (usually rounded) are on the drive (approx. 320,000,000,000 bytes in OP case) then convert it to Gigabytes based on that. However, usually when they convert it they do this...
    320,000,000,000 bytes
    =320,000,000 kilobytes (bytes / 1000)
    =320,000 megabytes (kilobytes / 1000)
    =320 gigabytes. (megabytes / 1000)
    then advertise 320GB HDD

but in actuallity it's supposed to be divided by 1024 (Ex. 1 GB is actually 1024 MB not 1000 MB, same with 1 MB is actually 1024 KB, and so on), like this...
    320,000,000,000 bytes
    =312,500,000 kilobytes (bytes / 1024)
    =305,175.78 megabytes (kilobytes / 1024)
    =298.023 gigabytes (megabytes / 1024)

your loss on this is would be approx. 21.977 GB...

Plus I believe the xbox HDD is partitioned (divided if you will) into a few sections with some hidden, one would be the "system cache" (This is where your TU's are stored), one is your storage (Ex. System Settings > Storage > HDD), maybe another one for dashboard insall temp (where your dashboard update unpacks to before it installs).

Also, On a PC depending on what operating system you have, the size of the HDD cache, and whatever FAT type you format the drive to will also change the size of the drive after it's formatted.

Add that together and I'd say it could easily hit 30+ GB
    Last edited by scmark15; 02-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    GoW2: \\★// Member of the Old Guard as of Oct. 31, 2010 | 1750 / 1750
    GoW3: 81 | Onyx Medals: 41 / 65 | Seriously 3.0 Tracking: 80.15% | 1850 / 2000
    GoW3 Beta: Beta Tester Medal | Flaming Hammerburst, Lancer, Gnasher, Sawed-Off | Golden Retro | Cole Train
    Seriously...Going for Seriously 3.0?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: IIPABLOII

That's sounds good
    Anthony Carmine//Golden Hunter
    Level 58

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TwoMINIFamily

Also remember that Micro$oft likes to include a lot of demos, videos and useless stuff as well so that could be where some of your space has gone. If you don't want/need the videos,demos and other crud they put on there then delete it and get some of your space back.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMINIFamily View Post
    Also remember that Micro$oft likes to include a lot of demos, videos and useless stuff as well so that could be where some of your space has gone. If you don't want/need the videos,demos and other crud they put on there then delete it and get some of your space back.
    the FAT (file allocation table) will always use space on any drive as well. Its marketing at its best. They really aren't lying to you, you do have a 320GB HDD, it just isnt 320GB of usable space
    G3