God King

Map - Capture the Flag (PC) CTF-Citius

Name: Citius
    Game type: CTF / Greed
    Version: 1.0
    Players: 12 - 20
    Requirements: UT3 + patch 2.1 + Titan Pack
    Story / Histoire:

Citius is a water filtration plant located on an unknown planet high on rocks in the middle of the sea whose Liandri owns. The installation began experiencing some operational difficulties so it is now used for team competitions.

Citius est un plant de filtration d'eau situé sur une planète inconnue localisée sur le rock au beau milieu de la mer dont Liandri en est propriétaire. L'installation a commencé à éprouver quelque difficultés de fonctionnement, par conséquent, Liandri s'en sert maintenant pour le déroulement de compétitions d'équipes.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Downloads:

Game-Maps, Mediafire, UTZone.de

Installation:

Extract the archive into :

“My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps” directory. If this folder is not currently on your system, you can safely create it. The archive contains :

CTF-Citius.ini
    CTF-Citius.txt
    CTF-Citius.ut3
    CTF-Citius_LOC_int.upk

Details:

I started the dev of the map December 11th 2009. This map was supposed to be part of the 'UOF Map Pack'. Since I had a lot of work to do left, I've decided to release the map individually. Since 2009, I've spend countless hours worked on it. No need to say that I found it very difficult to mesh my levels out since I like them very detailed but not cluttered so flow and gameplay remains great

After 2 years of hard work, I can finally release this map Honestly, I didn’t thought I would finish it giving the map size! This map is freaking huge, the meshing, lighting, optimizations and other things took me months to compete. In the end, it took me 1.5 hours to perform a full rebuild! When I build a map, team play and flow are my most important aspects. Awesome visuals are also a requirement for me but I still have a lot of things to learn to reach my final goal. I always try to make them look better. So I hope you will enjoy this map. I’ve put everything I’ve learn since the last 2 years in it. This is my last CTF, so enjoy.

The features:

- Many custom materials, like the sky, most of the floor tiles, tiles on the ceiling, the caution bars, the grey grid, the glass, the main rocks, the sea, the redish water caustic, the decals, etc
    - Custom emitters for the water steam + others effects
    - Custom music, the track is 'Mona Lisa overdrive' by Juno Reactor and Don Davis edited by me
    - Enhanced many stock materials by adding more details
    - Techy voices will announce some random messages telling the Citius facility as working problem
    - In Greed, the skulls that falls into the sea will be teleported on the big platform in front of the waterfall since it's the neutral zone, representing the middle of the map

Prisoner 849

Steve's done a superb job on this map!
    The meshing is top notch and the visuals match the excellent gameplay!
    I highly recommend this map to any CTF fans out there!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

MSgt. Shooter Person

Top work Steve. This one has some frightening awesome visuals and yet has very economical FPS, which is no mean feat.

This is a lot of fun to play, imho you've nail CTF mode.

Big thanks for all the work you put into this one.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Steve I must say you are more better mapper for CTF maps than DM maps because with fatima and now this map a lot of z-axis action is very funny and addictive ( mainly this last map ) Is very top notch great job congrats!

I think you could try to map more ctf mapping and a bit less dm mapping ( I dont have any doubt with your dm maps all is good but understand me im a ctf player from begginin ut away at nineties XD )

Make CTF map is an order!

PD: Its joke

Boomshot

Congratz Stevie, top job on visuals....like always...and top job on the gameplay, a keeper for ctf fans
    thx for all thoses hours spended to build this sexy map
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

God King

@All

THX all for the nice words, I'm happy you like it & I wish you many hours of fun with it

@DarkSonny07

Well, CTF maps are to much work for me. The reason why they aren't typical CTF maps is because I put what I like in DM into CTF. That mean z-axis moves, open spaces + closed range spots. I didn't know you prefer CTF over DM. While I enjoy both DM / CTF as a player, CTF ask to much of my time as a mapper. So enjoy my CTF maps because I don't intent to make another one anytime soon. THX for your support along the way dude

MSgt. Shooter Person

Will try to get this up on the Nox Chicago server asap! Looks great, can't wait to try it out!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by stevelois View Post
    @DarkSonny07

...The reason why they aren't typical CTF maps is because I put what I like in DM into CTF. That mean z-axis moves, open spaces + closed range spots.....
    Thats the true secret for a good CTF map also applies to DM maps in same parameter ( with no flags XD ), good thinking Steve that sums all what a good map needs to be classified as good map..Not only the visuals.

I bet you in the long future yiu will finish up making another ctf map Hahaha The times places all people in their correct place ( joke) LOl

Weh if not anyway I have ur dm map with tha same essence for making maps in this way XD
    Last edited by DarkSonny07; 12-03-2011 at 10:45 AM.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by SpY View Post
    Will try to get this up on the Nox Chicago server asap! Looks great, can't wait to try it out!
    Great, let me know what players think of it

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
    Thats the true secret for a good CTF map also applies to DM maps in same parameter ( with no flags XD ), good thinking Steve that sums all what a good map needs to be classified as good map..Not only the visuals.

I bet you in the long future yiu will finish up making another ctf map Hahaha The times places all people in their correct place ( joke) LOl

Weh if not anyway I have ur dm map with tha same essence for making maps in this way XD
    Well, time will tell Therefore my upcoming maps are 3 DM + 1 Greed + 1 DOM. I started another DM this week, no idea of what I'll end up with lol Maybe someday I'll make another CTF but it's not in my plan, still we never know!

MSgt. Shooter Person

@ stevelois ~ couldn't wait to try this one out - played it on my break last night on my gaming rig (single player)

Great gameplay overall, and looks amazing! I felt the map was pretty big, will play best with a full server. I'm still finding all the little ins and outs and sneaky paths.

Would love to network with you sometime and chat.. peace!

God King

He he, that's awesome, THX for the compliments

The map is huge indeed, so I strongly suggest to consult the readme for gameplay tips, so you will understand more the map design, each path as his purpose This map is a blast in Greed with 32 players

Well, I'm not often on chat apps, except Facebook, you can always add me in your friends list (Steve Loiselle) so maybe we'll have the opportunity to talk live

The Sacrifice
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Anubis202

First of all, I like to say, that I'm really happy, that you are done with this map and I do like it very much! I personally like the design and lighting, makes a nice atmosphere there. However, I'm in love with that beautiful looking skybox. Despite that, the gameplay is also a lot of fun on this map, because it is can be pretty narrow in there, that's why shock combos and triple rockets are pure madness then. All in one, it is indeed a very nice map and very well done! And because of that, I'm really excited about all your other maps, once they are done. Just keep it up, mate!

Nevertheless, I noticed something, which is kinda familiar to me, because several maps have this weird behaviour. When you stand at point A and look at the direction of B, the fps is still in the green level, but the game runs as it is in the yellow level of fps. However, once you get closer to B, the game runs better and better, but it is the same thing from B to A. I don't know, if some of you guys have noticed this too, but when I download a new map, I always pay attention to the structure and fps. Anyway, I don't know, what might be the reason for this weird behaviour, because I'm always about 40fps, but it runs as I'm below 30fps. Nevertheless, this doesn't ruin the gameplay, the map is still playable, but it is kinda weird, e.g. play VCTF-Rails or VCTF-Containment and look from one base to the other base, you get the same result.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    There is nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past so look ahead or risk being left behind. ~Claudia Black, Stargate SG1
    In love with the Unreal franchise since 1998 and gonna love it forever!

Steam~GeForce~YouTube

God King

I'm happy you like the map & enjoy it

I also hope you will like the upcoming maps

For a brief explanation about raising & falling FPS (been located at point A & look at point B & vice-versa), it's normal that you get this behavior simply because many objects are rendered in the scene and many of them are calculated dynamically (players shadows, projectile effects, AI & so on) which cost FPS when you add them together. Even in solo, just looking at some spots, even if your alone, the engine as to render dynamics materials, emitters, particle effects in real time & that cost something. The more you have, the more your FPS will be affected.

From the pic if located at spot "A", the "B" sector isn't rendered because it's all culled BUT since the line of sight from "A" is very, very far, I couldn't cull some stuff & that is why you get a FPS drop mainly caused by the particle effects on the jumpads & the total poly's to render from that spot.

I know that at some spots, FPS will fall, but that's the cost of playing a very high detailed map. That is why I optimize this map like a maniac or else you couldn't play it & would have 5 FPS instead of 30 & up

THX for the review, much appreciated

The Sacrifice
    Gamer IDs

Of course, I will like your upcoming maps, because I like all your current maps, which you have released so far!

Besides that, thank you very much for this brief explanation! Good to know about that, now I can imagine things, in this case, much better. You know, I did mapping for UT2004 a long time ago myself, but I'm out of the business for some time, but there is always a will to do mapping, but I don't have time to do that. That's why, I always say, what I think, especially when something confuses me a little bit.

Nevertheless, I like this map very much!!! I know mapping is a special kind of art and not that easy, but it is a great pleasure to do it. Anyway, keep it up, mate!
    There is nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past so look ahead or risk being left behind. ~Claudia Black, Stargate SG1

Steam~GeForce~YouTube

MSgt. Shooter Person

Logged to just drop a word: astonishing.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis 'Shadowgod' View Post
    Of course, I will like your upcoming maps, because I like all your current maps, which you have released so far!

Besides that, thank you very much for this brief explanation! Good to know about that, now I can imagine things, in this case, much better. You know, I did mapping for UT2004 a long time ago myself, but I'm out of the business for some time, but there is always a will to do mapping, but I don't have time to do that. That's why, I always say, what I think, especially when something confuses me a little bit.

Nevertheless, I like this map very much!!! I know mapping is a special kind of art and not that easy, but it is a great pleasure to do it. Anyway, keep it up, mate!
    Well, explanations never hurts héhé

& yep, I map like a maniac hihihi

Quote Originally Posted by lowenz View Post
    Logged to just drop a word: astonishing.
    THX for the brief stop & this simple word that say it all, much appreciated

Congrats Stevelois on completing this map. As I have said before, the visuals are great, game play is very smooth with the multiple routes (makes it fun for Greed as well). The details are what we should expect from your maps. Someday, I hope to have the "stuff" to make a map like this. Awesome work man.

God King

I didn't congratulate to your final yet, did I?

Time to do so:
    Congratulations!

I always thought this map had an oldskool feel to it. It reminds me of some UT99 maps somehow.

This is probably your biggest success so far! It's a 1+ map!
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

I will try to give you constructive criticism, kinda like a sandwich [start with good things- then bad things- and end on good things ]

- Also note i have only spent 3 minutes on this map.

1. Looks great; i really like CBP3 -Octopus, and this is definately in its league, as far as visuals and layout are concerned. Great stuff.

2. Unfortunately i experience very erratic changes in FPS.

3. Loving the layout and gameplay potentials..

4. Not liking the predicatable bots- They all take [run] the same route [i play on Godlike]

** I have some images and some examples/ questions ; i am sorry if this is too late, or totally useless to you....

* Post processing;
    * i only see 1 volume [for the water], and for me it is too blue, a minor desaturation or increased blur kernal would be my personal preference.
    * i wanted my mirrors edge maps with great colour and Little or no PP, for this i used Colour Scale Volumes and still added PP volumes with only minor adjustments.- Would this benefit this map?
    - maybe this will make a difference/ maybe you already tried it and decided to have it like it is now// this is not for me to say, but i can give you my ME PP using a simple Copy/paste in notepad/ or upload an image of your map using this PP surrounding it...

Now some pictures too highlight somethings:

* i Get FPS at average of 40, now the last time i saw FPS this low was in Demigod's DM-RB-Democraft, i was gettign 25 - 40FPS on this, i made my own version that looks identical and get between 128 and 600 FPS with no visual difference. [this suggest there is room for improvement within Citius]
    - in the air i get 60-70 FPS, and looking at the sky i get over 100... from this believe Individual light points may be the issue/ misused ligthing channels is the issue.

* personally i feel the 2 teleporters [Udamage] are too close togerther:
    - but that is not really important

*Lighting Channels:

* Mesh that uses Unlit materials, but it is in the "Accept dynamic lighting" channels. water????
    - i cannot understand why you have done this as it is my understanding that this is unnecessary

Static Mesh
    * you have some light points that do not effect the dynamic channel, however, your Static Mesh is in the dynamic channel.

- given that this mesh is inside a structure, it only needs to be lit by a light that is not dynamic, and a light taht is preferably next to the mesh
    - you could remove this channel and gain a few fps, with no damage to Visuals

*** like i said, sorry if it is too late or if the info is totally rubbish information, but i only just heard of this link and its way too late at night to be fully testing a map of this magnitude, its huge.

* Seriously, this map would easily beat cbp3 octopus..
    Very nice for CTF
    Many Thanks
    Last edited by TKBS; 12-10-2011 at 12:26 AM.

God King

Hey dude

THX for your comments, glad you like it in all. Your info isn't totally rubish ya know, it always can serve another wip map

I'm surprise that I didn't disable lighting on the water meshes ! The editor give me a warning habitually, odd. But no, it's not supposed to be that way & completely unnecessary as you mention.

It's normal you see meshes that as all standard lighting channels enable & a light actor that is set to a specific channel. If you take a look at all meshes near the light actor that as a specific lighting channel you will found meshes that will benefit that extra light. This is a standard technique to add some color / brightness to meshes. Same thing in my previous maps.

As for FPS lot's of thing can cause their high & drops. I'm surprise you get more FPS because those things are to minor & are in a small number to affect anything like FPS ? Dynamic lights are a requirement for playing CTF / VCTF for me simply because the meshes won't receive light by dynamic actors (weapon projectile, translocator, flag carrier & such) so that is why dynamic channel is all enable on meshes that players can interact with them.

I never heard of "Colour Scale Volume" ? But since I like to know what I'm doing I prefer to look at it myself. THX for the copy proposal, I appreciate

So, I don't intent to work on that map anymore. I'm done but I appreciate that you share your thoughts. Constructive & positive feedback is always welcome

THX & have fun

MSgt. Shooter Person

So, I don't intent to work on that map anymore. I'm done but I appreciate that you share your thoughts. Constructive & positive feedback is always welcome
    No day version on this, stevelois?

God King

ColorScaleVolumes are also a riddle to me. I never found a tutorial that explains their usage.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nope, this project is a thing of the past, working on this instead

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Very cool Stevelois! Where do you get all your inspiration? ! ?

The Sacrifice
    Gamer IDs

Nope, this project is a thing of the past, working on this instead

Hmm...yum yum! This looks delicious!

Steam~GeForce~YouTube

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey Steve! I'm putting this up on my Chicago CTF server if thats okay with you. Will give it a good run through later tonight!

!DTS... CTF Chicago
    68.232.182.164:7777

God King

Quote Originally Posted by bombs View Post
    Hey Steve! I'm putting this up on my Chicago CTF server if thats okay with you. Will give it a good run through later tonight!

!DTS... CTF Chicago
    68.232.182.164:7777
    Yes, plz do and have fun !!!

Cool

Hey cousin, finally have a bit time to make a "fly-by" on it,
    Damn amazing work on it, the visual is so PRO dude !
    The circular stairs are very well made, I like so much this part !

Good job and take care

Nova

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Thumbs up Heart of the spell.

Long time to make a short review of this map; I was little nervous to post this individually. But anyway, this is one of the most enthusiastic CTF maps ever made, pure ecstasy and great aspects about the lighting and static meshes. Playing offline with bots to test this map that will proves true. The missing here is the location of the enemy flag carrier sounds (i.e. In the blue base, Near the red base, etc.) I dunno why this map makes me feel good with your work? Congrats man!

5 out of 5 stars!
    PS: I'm the one who added this map to UTzone.de; linked directly to MediaFire.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Android View Post
    Long time to make a short review of this map; I was little nervous to post this individually. But anyway, this is one of the most enthusiastic CTF maps ever made, pure ecstasy and great aspects about the lighting and static meshes. Playing offline with bots to test this map that will proves true.
    He he, don't be nervous, I don't bite LOL. THX for the kind words

The missing here is the location of the enemy flag carrier sounds (i.e. In the blue base, Near the red base, etc.)
    Mmm, odd about the sounds, I switch team often and bots say all of that ?

I dunno why this map makes me feel good with your work? Congrats man!
    Not sure I understand well this part, do you mean your not liking my other maps ?

5 out of 5 stars!
    PS: I'm the one who added this map to UTzone.de; linked directly to MediaFire.
    Cool, THX for everything, much appreciated

Redeemer

Big Grin fun CTF map!

Water filtration plant? Looks like this may have been taken over by the Necris at some point. I like all the custom textures/meshes, lighting, skybox, stairs, outside crags and good music track (was this in one of the "Matrix" movies?). This one has good weapon/item placement and I like all the choices for routes and teleporters. The bots could be better in here though.