Register

Welcome to the Epic Games Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Infinity Blade II issue on iPad1 and iPod Touch devices - working to fix!

**UPDATE***

We've released an update to Infinity Blade. For those iPad1 and iPod Touch users experiencing problems playing the game please install the update (1.0.1).

After installing the update your should restart your iOS device.

Here’s how Apple recommends you properly restart an iOS devices: First turn the device off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until a red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider and the device will turn off after a few moments. Next, turn it on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears then wait for it to continue booting up.

For those experiencing the issue we thank you for your patience!

(original post follows)

Folks,

For some users Infinity Blade II seems to be running out of memory on their heavily laden iPad1 and iPod Touch devices.

For example if you have a large number of apps installed iOS must cache all those icons to give you smooth performance when you hit the home button. Unfortunately the machines we tested on didn’t have massive numbers of apps installed on them so we think this how we think we missed this particular condition.

We’re working on a quick fix and will submit an update to the store as soon as possible.

In the meantime we're going to update the description in the iTunes App Store to mention that we're aware of this issue.

One more thing. When apps run of memory at loading time that is something that is often fixed by restarting your device. So I recommend that people try restarting their device to see if that solves it for them. I say this because the game runs fine on my iPad1 which I restarted before playing the game.

Here’s how Apple recommends you properly restart an iOS devices: First turn the device off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until a red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider and the device will turn off after a few moments. Next, turn it on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears then wait for it to continue booting up.

Last edited by Mark Rein; 12-03-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Banned

Good to hear that but please make sure the patch won't break the game on other devices at the cost of fixing the bug for iPad 1/iPod touch.

I`ll keep those Advise in Mind when i will do the Recordings. Thanks for those.

Default a working FIX

1. clear out Multitask bar
    2. Reboot
    3. start IB. I immediately did the double tap so that the multi-task bar shows
    4. Wait for the IB logo to disappear, screen will be black, wait around 20 -30 seconds.
    5. tap the black screen and you will see a spinning logo on the bottom left.
    6. As soon as logo disappears, the IB Pause button will appear in top center, double click home to bring up multitask bar again. LEAVE IT!
    7. The intro with the dude in chair will play, do not touch anything!
    8. Wait for the black screen and you should hear wind, birds, bells - leave for 20 -30 seconds.
    9. Tap the screen and hopefully, the game will start!

hopefully the update will address problems

MSgt. Shooter Person

tRYS1S3,

I don't think I'm following your solution on Step 3 and Step 6. Why are you bringing up the multi-tasking bar during the loading of the game and the intro scene? What's the purpose if you're not actually doing anything? Are you looking for or waiting for something in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by Dahmenator View Post
    tRYS1S3,

I don't think I'm following your solution on Step 3 and Step 6. Why are you bringing up the multi-tasking bar during the loading of the game and the intro scene? What's the purpose if you're not actually doing anything? Are you looking for or waiting for something in particular?
    i don't know what it does exactly(i think it makes the game load more!?). anyway you should start from step one every time you try!

The fix above works for
    Me on iPod 4g iOS 5.0.1
    Just keep the task bar (when you double tap the home button) open untill the intro cut scene has played and them you can start to play fine.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Mark, what about iPhone 4 users also?

The choppy frame rate makes it unplayable.

I have rebooted as above, only have IB2 open, and yet from the first enemy in the tower onward, it's a slideshow every Rebirth cycle regardless.
    Last edited by WeegieMac; 12-01-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post

I have rebooted as above, only have IB2 open, and yet from the first enemy in the tower onward, it's a slideshow every Rebirth cycle regardless.
    On an iPhone 4? First I've heard of that one. What version of iOS are you running? Please are verify that it isn't jailbroken.

Maybe this will also be solved with the ipad1 patch. I usually have good framerate, but sometimes it struggles. When the notification bar shows a new message, the game becomes very slow and it takes its time to recover. The notification bar is great, but I think it takes loads of memory to work correctly. Mark, I think IB1 slowdowns might have to do with the same problem of the icons. Can this be? Thanks. EDIT: my iphone 4 has ios 5.0.1 and is non-jailbroken. For IB2 to run smooth, it must be the ONLY program running (kill all processes in the multitask bar). Also, if you experience slowdowns due to excessive notifications, just exit the game, kill the app from the multitask bar and run it again. It should do the trick.
    Last edited by VirtualBoyFreak; 12-01-2011 at 05:13 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    On an iPhone 4? First I've heard of that one. What version of iOS are you running? Please are verify that it isn't jailbroken.
    Non- jail broken, iOS 5.0.1

I done the following prior to buying at midnight:

Restored iPhone 4 in DFU mode.
    Only installed Infinity Blade 2.
    Reboot device using method above.
    Ran game.

Initial opening cut scene and first two fights went ok, a few touches of slowdown, but it was when you enter the tower and fight an enemy in the chamber with fire baskets on the walls where it went downhill. Regardless of the size or type of enemy faced at this point, the game becomes a slideshow. Swipes are difficult to register and pressing either dodge button has no effect sometimes, especially the faster the enemy on higher levels.

There have been some other similar complaints here and on the likes of TouchArcade. I still think iOS 5 is to blame, as it made the first Infinity Blade run very choppy on iPhone 4 compared to how it ran on iOS 4. Thanks for taking the time to read, respond and listen to the fans of the series, Mark.

Non- jail broken, iOS 5.0.1

I done the following prior to buying at midnight:

Restored iPhone 4 in DFU mode.
    Only installed Infinity Blade 2.
    Reboot device using method above.
    Ran game.

Initial opening cut scene and first two fights went ok, a few touches of slowdown, but it was when you enter the tower and fight an enemy in the chamber with fire baskets on the walls where it went downhill. Regardless of the size or type of enemy faced at this point, the game becomes a slideshow. Swipes are difficult to register and pressing either dodge button has no effect sometimes, especially the faster the enemy on higher levels.

There have been some other similar complaints here and on the likes of TouchArcade. I still think iOS 5 is to blame, as it made the first Infinity Blade run very choppy on iPhone 4 compared to how it ran on iOS 4. Thanks for taking the time to read, respond and listen to the fans of the series, Mark.
    yeah the part in bold was very laggy for me also

I'll be damned! That fix worked for me on my Ipad1! Graphics and sound a bit chucking thougt, but playable, until EPIC makes an official patch! Cool game btw...

Iron Guard

speaking of notifications, is there any way to disable to notification pulldown menu thing at the top? sometimes my sword swipes trigger it during fights :/
    Infinity Blade Speedruns
    I beat IB3 in 45:26 (Video for 55:50)
    My Twitch
    IB1 Guide (over 300k views)
    IB1 Fan Spotlight Interview

I'm on a non jailbroken ipad 1 running iOS 5.0.1. After checking this thread, I went and deleted most of the apps on my device. I then put the device into airplane mode, restarted, and was finally able to play by pulling down the notification bar while it was loading, something I had tried but didn't work before. So it definitely has something to do with the number of apps on your ipad. It isn't free-space related, because I have around 10gb free, and it would work for me at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    For example if you have a large number of apps installed iOS must cache all those icons to give you smooth performance when you hit the home button. Unfortunately the machines we tested on didn’t have massive numbers of apps installed on them so we think this how we think we missed this particular condition.

One more thing. When apps run of memory at loading time that is something that is often fixed by restarting your device. So I recommend that people try restarting their device to see if that solves it for them. I say this because the game runs fine on my iPad1 which I restarted before playing the game.

I appreciate you're acknowledgement of the problem and your support. However I believe you may be incorrect on your assumptions. My reasoning is this: I erased ALL data from my iPod touch 4g 64gb using the "settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings" function on my ipt. Then, after the initial setup, I installed ONLY Infinity Blade II. That means I opened absolutely NOTHING else prior to running IB2 and had no more than the default number of apps on my ipt.

The thought has crossed my mind that this may have more to do with apple than epic/chair, because of the crashes that have been occurring with other games since the IOS5 release, but I imagine you would have more knowledge on that than I would.

@MetalLight and it still didn't work? make sure you restarted (which i assume you did) and try airplane mode and the notification bar trick.

Quote Originally Posted by brrobotix View Post
    @MetalLight and it still didn't work? make sure you restarted (which i assume you did) and try airplane mode and the notification bar trick.
    I appreciate your response. I did not try airplane mode or the notification bar trick because I believe that, especially on closed platforms such as the ios devices, applications should work without roundabout tricks and other assorted methods, especially on the latest devices in their respective category (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, and the iPod Touch 4g). This sounds more abrasive than I mean it, so please note I'm not taking a shot at you or your help.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just read through some reviews on the App Store, and there's a lot more iPhone 4 owners complaining of low frame rates and sluggish gesture recognition. The people saying it runs "perfectly" on their iPhone 4 are, quite frankly, either liars or have a high tolerance of skipped/low frame rates.

Mark,

I would like to bring to your attention another subject concerning Ipad 2 users with firmwares pre 5.x, non-jailbroken. Myself and others here and on other forums, we're not getting the lightshaft/real time shadow effects. It would be greatly appreciated if you could clarify if the 5.x firmwares is a prerequisite for these, or if this is just a bug.

Thank you in advance.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The iPhone 4 performance is highlighted in this review:

"However, one of the major setbacks in the game is the fact that the frame rate chugs on my iPhone 4 to unacceptable levels when I’m in the middle of a fight. *The game is listed as being able to run on as far back as an iPhone 3GS or an iPod Generation 3, but I can only imagine you’d be watching a slideshow of action on that hardware. *Obviously, the game was designed around the latest and greatest iPhone 4S or the iPad 2, and the regular hitching during combat completely takes away from the experience. *Is the game unplayable? Not at all, but the responsiveness to the controls are a major disappointment.

While on the top end of iPhone games as far as price goes, if you’ve got the latest and greatest in iPhone or iPad tech in hand and you enjoyed the first*Infinity*Blade, this game is a must buy. *I can’t think of any other iPhone titles that I would actually stop playing console games to sit on my couch and delve into like the Infinity Blade series, and the improvements to the game make me all the more excited to go through my quest to take down the God King once again. *But for those of us with inferior tech, you may want to give this a pass until they either patch it so dumbed down systems can handle what the game is throwing at it at a solid 30 frames per second".
    Last edited by WeegieMac; 12-02-2011 at 07:25 AM.

I just wanted to share my experience so far. I have an iPad 1!
    I hadn't updated to iOS 5 yet because my friends told me it was a little unstable and all and I trusted them. I'm currently on the version 4.3.3.

Even thought, while starting the game, it strongly suggests to update my version, the truth is, while I see lot of people with iPad 1 having trouble running the game that have iOS 5, I can run the game flawless. It works just fine on my iPad 1. I would dare to say the problem lies somewhere in the iOS version.

Oh well, just wanted to share my knowledge.

I am on Ipad 2

finshed the game once...lv 40...decided to try dying on the tutorial again to see if there was a negative timeline....ended up lossing all my progress...this discourages me to keep playing this masterpiece
    Last edited by johangsl; 12-02-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by johangsl View Post
    I am on Ipad 2

finshed the game once...lv 40...decided to try dying on the tutorial again to see if there was a negative timeline....ended up lossing all my progress...these is very descouraing to keep playing this masterpiece
    What iOS are you on? Were you on a brand new save slot, the same save slot you completed the game on, or a New Game+ save slot?

I am on 5.0.1

by the way on Icloud I see several save files, there is a bigger on size one, about 22.8 kb, I suppose that should have my correct information

I was not on newgame +, just beated the final boss and went back to the tutorial, I died on purpose to see if there was a negative timeline (like in Infinity Blade I) after I died I putted restart from last rebirth....and it went to rebirth 1, LV 1, and lost everything i had, i was lv 34 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Straxus View Post
    What iOS are you on? Were you on a brand new save slot, the same save slot you completed the game on, or a New Game+ save slot?
    If I reinstall IB 2 will it map the save files from Icloud correctly?

my fear is that my lv 34 character gets overwritte, wich well I'm assuming it already happened since I'm at lv 1, rebirth 1... and its not new game plus, enemies are also at lv 1

Super Moderator

If I reinstall IB 2 will it map the save files from Icloud correctly?

my fear is that my lv 34 character gets overwritte, wich well I'm assuming it already happened since I'm at lv 1, rebirth 1... and its not new game plus, enemies are also at lv 1
    On your character save slots, are you still seeing the option on your main save slot to start New Game+?

On your character save slots, are you still seeing the option on your main save slot to start New Game+?
    nope...I'm lost right?

@Mark Rein

In the meantime we're going to update the description in the iTunes App Store to mention that we're aware of this issue.
    and when are you going to do this as there is still no change to the description on the UK iTunes store...
    Last edited by infinite-loop; 12-02-2011 at 03:10 PM.

So is my save file lost?

whenever i start the game on my iphone 4, it keeps coming up with same opening sequence and saydhi's palace. my stats are still the same but i dont wann keep loosing where i am in the castle. on my icloud save, it has one big one and allot of smaller ones. im on ios 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by tRYSIS3 View Post
    1. clear out Multitask bar
    2. Reboot
    3. start IB. I immediately did the double tap so that the multi-task bar shows
    4. Wait for the IB logo to disappear, screen will be black, wait around 20 -30 seconds.
    5. tap the black screen and you will see a spinning logo on the bottom left.
    6. As soon as logo disappears, the IB Pause button will appear in top center, double click home to bring up multitask bar again. LEAVE IT!
    7. The intro with the dude in chair will play, do not touch anything!
    8. Wait for the black screen and you should hear wind, birds, bells - leave for 20 -30 seconds.
    9. Tap the screen and hopefully, the game will start!

hopefully the update will address problems
    Dude are you serious... How did you even figure that out!?

I have an iPhone 4 and on IOS 5.0.1
    My phone is not jailbroken

When I first start playing IB2 I have the game freeze at the title screen but later I realize if I wait a bit longer (ard 20+ seconds) the game will start so I guess it takes time to load up.
    My real problems are:
    1) the auto reset to lvl 0 (i.e. back to the tutorial scene) everytime I try to re-enter the game.
    2) the choppy frame rates

My questions are:
    1)It seems like my saved game are still on iCloud cause I notice the file size has become larger since I have started playing, but they are somehow unable to link with the game. Everytime I quit the game and re-enter it later I will always go back to the tutorial scene. I have no such problem when playing IB... I wonder what causes the auto reset.

2) My iPhone is loaded with apps. I have installed over 100+ apps but I always tried to run one app at a time so I often delete apps in the multitask bar and I usually keep ard 3-4G space left for my iPhone. I am not a tech savy guy so I dunno if this has anything to do with the choppy frame rates or will it cause any running out of memory problem on IB2...

All I wanna say is I dun intend to delete any other apps on my iPhone just to play Infinity Blade 2.
    You know I am playing a game and not the game playing me. I really hope Epic games can work out a fix for these problems ASAP

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple Heat View Post
    You know I am playing a game and not the game playing me. I really hope Epic games can work out a fix for these problems ASAP

Thanks!
    I couldn't have said it much better myself.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I sent a tweet to Mark a day or so ago, just again suggesting perhaps dropping some of the fancier particle effects from the iPhone 4 to save the frame rate.

He replied, simply but encouragingly, with "We will figure it out".

Superb stuff. I think it's a shame that Epic and ChAIR have been taking a lot of heat about this on various forums though, as I still think the culprit is iOS 5 somehow. Just like Lion is to Snow Leopard, iOS 5 is not as great performance wise as iOS 4 despite doing very little more that taxes the system it's running on.

Looking forward to the update, guys.

I sent a tweet to Mark a day or so ago, just again suggesting perhaps dropping some of the fancier particle effects from the iPhone 4 to save the frame rate.

He replied, simply but encouragingly, with "We will figure it out".

Superb stuff. I think it's a shame that Epic and ChAIR have been taking a lot of heat about this on various forums though, as I still think the culprit is iOS 5 somehow. Just like Lion is to Snow Leopard, iOS 5 is not as great performance wise as iOS 4 despite doing very little more that taxes the system it's running on.

Looking forward to the update, guys.
    I think Infinity Blade II is an amazing game, even taking into account I might have lost all my progress by a bug. I already finished it before loosing my data, but still, I think it
    sets a new standard in mobile gaming.

Epic will sort it out, they are top notch developers.

Player Experience Specialist
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fl4k

Thank you very much Johan, we hope to have word soon.
    Player Experience Specialist
    Stacey Conley
    Epic Games, Inc.

Default On iphone 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    Thank you very much Johan, we hope to have word soon.
    Just to let you know, I was trying IB 2 on my Iphone 4S, and it ran perfectly, but, yeah...I'm still getting my character resetted to lv 1
    IOS 5.0.1

Redeemer

Also waiting for the various bug fixes in IB 1. I trust they will get to it, and am awaiting word.
    "I am not some peasant to be toyed with! I am not an irritation! I am not some daeril plaything, crafted from the flayed souls of men! I am king and god, destroyer and lifegiver. I am your doom…you do not take what is mine."
    GC: Charlie0214
    Crimson Crusader #10

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think Infinity Blade II is an amazing game, even taking into account I might have lost all my progress by a bug. I already finished it before loosing my data, but still, I think it
    sets a new standard in mobile gaming.

Epic will sort it out, they are top notch developers.
    I don't doubt they will sort it out. However, I can see why people are posting that the iPhone 4 version is faultless, because for the initial period of the game, the slowdown is nothing but a few skipped frames and it's more than fine. It seems that the issues kick in around the first boss fight (woman who's name escapes me, the one you ask a question should you win), and then gets worse in the section where you enter the tower in search of the Worker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast