Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MSgt. Shooter Person

I tried an app called Texmod that claims to extract textures from games while they are running and it worked sorta.It could not save materials though which is why I tried it with UT3 as I had hoped that I would be able to get the water material from the game while it is running but it can't.Unfortunately it won't work with the editor of UT3 since it uses the ut3.exe with command line to run as I had thought maybe I could save it if I could run the editor but nope.

Meanwhile there are far better ways to extract content from UT3 packages. UModel, for example, is a universal tool that can extract meshes, staticmeshes, animation data and textures from packages of many Unreal Engine games.
    Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives

<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
    Note that your questions via PMs will be ignored if they actually belong in the forum.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
    Meanwhile there are far better ways to extract content from UT3 packages. UModel, for example, is a universal tool that can extract meshes, staticmeshes, animation data and textures from packages of many Unreal Engine games.
    As we all know it doesn't extract the material as seen in the unrealed v4.0 or the game as it extracts a file called a .mat which is a simple text file.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Does anyone know who made the following mods in DM-deadbolt_lit and DM-Deadbolt2(have both maps and play in both): the UT99 Udamage,UT99 shield belt and the UT99 armour as I would like to get permission to use them as a base for my UT3 power-ups mod in UT2k4.I tried and modified the UT99 Udamage it with the UT3 Udamage plus pickup sound.... for use in a number of maps I am busy with.

Thanks.
    Last edited by maxdamage; 09-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Question about keeping brushes snapped to the grid: Does one have to keep Static Meshes and movers snapped to the grid like the regular brushes?

God King

About extracting textures: You can't extract procedural materials in any way, because they are procedural. They get modified at run time to show up as they are. You can extract static materials by using UnrealEd just fine.

About UT3 powerups: You should not bother with that, as they are already included in my UT3 Style Mutators mod. If something is missing, feel free to contribute to the mod.

About snapping to the grid: Technically there is no need to snap anything to the grid at all. But it's a good idea to snap brushes so that you could align them properly and avoid any rounding errors that could result from not sticking to the grid. For static meshes, it's even less of an issue, since rounding errors don't effect the BSP tree. You might still want to snap to the grid to align them neatly, however, but it's optional.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Another question- What does Snap to Floor do? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with keeping brushes snapped to the grid or not, since the past 2 maps I've designed, one being in a playable state and the other being choppy like crazy since I haven't zoned it out as much, have had issues with BSP Holes. In other words, since none of the 3D Buzz tutorials seem to explain how to do it clearly, nor the Unreal Wiki, I'm wondering how you keep brushes snapped to the grid. Thanks in advance!

"Snap to floor" and "Align to floor" trace downward to find world geometry, move the selected actor down to barely touch whatever the trace found and in case of "Align to floor" also adjusts the selected actor's rotation according to the trace hit normal.

<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
    Note that your questions via PMs will be ignored if they actually belong in the forum.

God King

To make sure that brushes are snapped to the grid, the only real thing you need to do is look at the brush pivot. If it's on the grid, then you're good. If it's in an area between grid lines, then it's not as good (but it could still be snapped, try lowering the grid size). If it's off the grid, you can make it snap back to it by right-clicking the pivot. It's a bit dodgy sometimes, though.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    About extracting textures: You can't extract procedural materials in any way, because they are procedural. They get modified at run time to show up as they are. You can extract static materials by using UnrealEd just fine.

About UT3 powerups: You should not bother with that, as they are already included in my UT3 Style Mutators mod. If something is missing, feel free to contribute to the mod.
    Thanks but I don't want to link to an external mod at this time with my map I am slowly working on.Anyway the stuff I needed I have converted over to ut2k4 format anyway.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is there a way to take "screenshots" of the materials in ued v4.0 at say 1024 x 1024?

God King

It depends. You can set their size in "View", if the textures have the size of 512x512, you can set the display of textures in the browser to 200% in View, that will make them 1024x1024, just as an example.

EDIT: Oh wait, UEd4? Ah right, you want to export them, my bad, I'll have to look it up again. You are talking about the UT3Ed/UEd4 from UT3, correct? Because there are major differences to the UDK Editor/UDK's UEd4 by now.
    Last edited by Sly.; 10-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    It depends. You can set their size in "View", if the textures have the size of 512x512, you can set the display of textures in the browser to 200% in View, that will make them 1024x1024, just as an example.

EDIT: Oh wait, UEd4? Ah right, you want to export them, my bad, I'll have to look it up again. You are talking about the UT3Ed/UEd4 from UT3, correct? Because there are major differences to the UDK Editor/UDK's UEd4 by now.
    UT3's UED v4.0. I'm sure there is a way to get the material as a "screenshot" which could be saved to the hdd?I have tried but I can't make the material big enough to then take a screenshot and save it in an image editor like PSP 8 as they are not bigger than 512 x 512 or 256 x 256 cut out of the sceenshot.The smaller size has the xyz axis on the bottom left hand corner of the image as my dad's laptop is wide screen at 1366 x 768 which doesn't help either.
    Last edited by maxdamage; 10-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Screenshot of the material? Excuse my choice of words, but that sounds like a stupid idea. That captures one possible result, but ignores all the "interesting" properties. Transparency, self-illumination and specular highlights, for example, are not visible in a screenshot.
    You will never be able to duplicate the UT3 look in U2004, so you could as well start from the exported textures and combine stuff with an image editor and the features UEd3 has to offer. Keep in mind that UE3 also has stuff like normal maps, distortions and bloom that you can't use in UE2. If you have such effects no a material, they will make your screenshot even worse. It gets even worse with dynamic materials, where stuff moves or changes in other ways. Sometimes those are relatively easy to convert manually without making the results too different.

The time you spent on trying to semi-automatically convert this stuff so far could have been used to manually convert a good share of the materials you need based on the textures UModel can export.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
    Screenshot of the material? Excuse my choice of words, but that sounds like a stupid idea. That captures one possible result, but ignores all the "interesting" properties. Transparency, self-illumination and specular highlights, for example, are not visible in a screenshot.
    You will never be able to duplicate the UT3 look in U2004, so you could as well start from the exported textures and combine stuff with an image editor and the features UEd3 has to offer. Keep in mind that UE3 also has stuff like normal maps, distortions and bloom that you can't use in UE2. If you have such effects no a material, they will make your screenshot even worse. It gets even worse with dynamic materials, where stuff moves or changes in other ways. Sometimes those are relatively easy to convert manually without making the results too different.

The time you spent on trying to semi-automatically convert this stuff so far could have been used to manually convert a good share of the materials you need based on the textures UModel can export.
    I have done that and the screenshots are ok for what I want them for in ut2k4.Anyway I have a problem with a map I am working on in ued v3.0:
    ONS-RaptureECE
    I am having a problem with the map in adding a collision mesh to the glass dome seen in the picture above using the save brush as collision mesh.....Here is the error message:
    Code:
    Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2100 MHz with 1789MB RAM
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G (6658)

General protection fault!

History: FPoly::Split <- AddConvexPrim <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- ModelToHullsWorker <- KModelToHulls <- UEditorEngine::Exec_StaticMesh <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (STATICMESH SAVEBRUSHASCOLLISION) <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop
    I can add the brush as a water volume which doesn't crash the game but if I add the brush as a blocking volume it gives me the same error message as above.

Thanks.
    Last edited by maxdamage; 10-19-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Didn't want to start another thread so just picked a random one
    When i open mylevel package in the static mesh browser, it shows all meshes that's used in the level in a big pile

I don't know how but i found out that the reason for that is that i have a group called mylevel in my mylevel package
    I deleted everything from it, saved the map and re-opened it again. Everything was fine, static mesh browser was working ok but then mylevel group appeared again.

It's empty, but i can't get rid of it and the mesh browser doesn't work again...
    any idea how to fix it?

MSgt. Shooter Person

@UnShame

I have the same thing with the textures mylevel folder and I can't get rid of it even though I moved all the images,etc... into sub-groups.There still appears a separate mylevel group with all the textures,shaders,etc... in it or "linked" to the mylevel group.Honestly I don't know if it is a bug or what??

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ReiDevJord

It's not a bug. It just displays everything that's in 'mylevel' that doesn't have a folder name. If you click on any of those textures or meshes in this 'mylevel.mylevel' folder, you'll see that none of them are actually named 'mylevel.mylevel.something', they'll be named 'mylevel.something' or 'mylevel.somefolder.something' instead.

If you don't have anythingthing named 'mylevel.something' without a folder, you won't see this.
    Last edited by jefe; 02-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Does anyone know where I can find a static mesh of a walkway that is used over a train track with steps leading up to it on either side?I am looking for one that I can use in my map that has a number of live train tracks with trains whooshing by when you walk onto the tracks.

Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a static mesh of a walkway that is used over a train track with steps leading up to it on either side?I am looking for one that I can use in my map that has a number of live train tracks with trains whooshing by when you walk onto the tracks.

Thanks.
    Anyone?

Thanks.

Redeemer

I think there is none, but try building one yourself using the HumanoidHardware walkways with either the corresponding steps or the Pipe_Static Tubestair or HumanoidHardware jpipestair.
    BÚla AndrÓs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Baryonyx View Post
    I think there is none, but try building one yourself using the HumanoidHardware walkways with either the corresponding steps or the Pipe_Static Tubestair or HumanoidHardware jpipestair.
    Thanks.I did bookmark a map with trains,railways,etc.. in and that might have what I am looking for but I can't seem to find the bookmark yet.

[edit]Found the map:ONS-RAIL
    Last edited by maxdamage; 03-25-2013 at 06:56 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    [edit]Found the map:ONS-RAIL
    Unfortunately the map was a bust... I did however try and make one and here is a screenie of part of it so far:

Redeemer

Looks alright in my opinion.
    BÚla AndrÓs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12