Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: All Sham No Wow

Default Dedicated Servers: How They Work

Day in and day out this forum is riddled with threads concerning dedicated servers. You could safely say that all of them stem from someone having experienced lag while playing Gears of War 3's multi-player, and it's even safer to say that they will be about one of two things: The player was gibbed by a Sawed-Off past it's range or their gun damage was inconsistent.

These threads usually consist of the OP stating that this is definite proof that they are not playing on a dedicated server, and that is not case. The only conclusion I can reach towards posts like this is that the OP does not understand what a dedicated server does and how their connection to these servers work. I will attempt to explain how dedicated servers work and how you still can have latency issues when playing on them.

Your Personal Connection

To preface my section on dedicated servers, I want to use this opportunity to help players who may have moderate or strict NAT's. This doesn't affect latency but hinders your ability to connect to other players. I'm not sure if a strict or moderate NAT can hurt your search options when trying to find a dedicated server, but it's better to be safe than sorry. To guarantee that you can connect indiscriminately, your NAT type must be open.

The first step is to give your Xbox a remote IP address on your router that will not be over-run by another device. I personally use a Linksys router which grants me 50 IP addresses between 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.150. Different router brands are going to use different default IP addresses but the idea is the same. Give your Xbox an address in a high number - at least past 15. This will ensure that any other device in your home won't be given this address by default and override your Xbox.

To manually set up your Xbox's IP address you must go to the Network Settings on your Xbox and then Configure Network. Note your Subnet Mask and Gateway because you will need to re-input these yourself. Now go to the IP settings, change it to manual and put in the information required.

Now that your IP address is set, the next step is port range forwarding. There should be a section for gaming in your router settings. Go to it and look for a sub-section called port range forwarding or port forwarding. Microsoft says that the ports required are 88 under the UDP protocol and 3074 under both TCP and UDP protocol. Input these port numbers and assign them to your Xbox's IP address.

Another option is to enable DMZ on your Xbox's IP address if your router allows you.

Edit: These were solutions that worked for me but if you need more details and other fixes for a strict or moderate NAT you can look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979000 (Provided by: Doc Holliday v2)

Edit: As an example, here is what port forwarding and enabling DMZ would look like on a Linksys router - along with my IP address setting on my Xbox: Settings.jpg

Dedicated Servers

Now that your router settings are in shape we can talk about dedicated servers. A dedicated server is a purpose-built computer that can read and transmit data to players faster than a peer 2 peer network. They are most common in games that allow a vast amount of players in one room - think MAG or World of Warcraft for very large numbers. The servers have an upstream bandwidth built to handle the players way more efficiently than the average broadband connection can. This allows a lower ping and an overall better experience for the player.

However, they aren't perfect. The servers are set up in different regions and when you connect to a game it will attempt to connect you to a server that is closest to you, giving you the best connection possible. Sometimes you may be connected to a server that is outside of your region. I, for example, live in South Carolina. If I connect to a server that is far west or north, I have the possibility of having a high ping compared to the other players in the game.

If my ping is high it will cause discrepancies in my experience. We'll use the example of the Sawed-Off gibbing beyond it's range. The fact is that the Sawed-Off isn't gibbing beyond it's range, latency is causing me to view it as such. For those who play Call of Duty, we all have the experience of "ghost bullets". You run behind cover and somehow an enemy still kills you. If you look at the killcam, you notice that in their view you were not behind cover. This is caused by latency and it's the same effect that you experience with the Sawed-Off seeming to gib beyond range.

The mistake I often see is that players expect a dedicated server to provide zero latency. The fact is when you are connecting to a server there will always be latency. It cannot be avoided. Whether your ping is 1ms or 100ms, data takes time to travel. We all have to accept that sometimes we may connect to servers outside of our immediate region and experience a higher latency than other players. We also have to accept that even when the servers are down that Gears of War 3's network coding is leaps and bounds above Gears of War and Gears of War 2. When our games our sometimes peer 2 peer the connections are way better than they were in the previous Gears of War titles. Epic Games put forth a fantastic effort in making Gears of War 3 the best multi-player experience in the franchise and should receive due credit.

If you took the time to read this post, thank you, and feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by AllShamNoWow; 10-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    www.youtube.com/user/AllShamNoWow

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MorbidSavior

Thanks you soo much. Love your video's big fan

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidSavior View Post
    Thanks you soo much. Love your video's big fan

Thanks a lot.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Aidan3252

Hopefully this should reduce the amount of people constantly complaining about "LAGGG!!1" "WTF My gUn Is nOt workIng??". Thank you. SO. MUCH.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I Count Wins

Very well put together. But I wish you had not put the sawed-off thing in there. Simply, because there was a difference power between the beta and actual game.
    That being said. I wished you talked briefly about server overload. But the knowledge you displayed is solid and pretty awesome.
    GT: No Actives
    I'm on MLG Gamebattles. Hit Me Up
    Check Out My Music

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: suppafinga

I know my NAT is Open, but are there specific numbers we need to put in the port forwarding and address sections, or just any number?
    www.4rumboys.com- 4RUM competed in CODXP 2011
    4rumboys Youtube - Check us out for Gears 3 gameplay and commentary
    Onyx Guard/Savage Grenadier Elite - Gold Lancer - Liquid Green Gnasher
    I'm an EMT, married to an RN and I have a 3 year old daughter. Shocked that I have a life?
    Thanks to Butterysteelo for my Liquid Green Skins!
    Quote Originally Posted by All My Rage View Post
    There is no legit argument for the sawed off. It's a crutch weapon and Epic has said it themselves. If you use it, you're bad. That's all there is to it.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FLY78

will why does it take so many shots to kill a guy and very few for him to blast me to little bitty bits??
    sometimes with active reloads?? even point blank range
    just feels like nothing more than host advantage to me
    Somebody once wrote: "Hell is the impossibility of reason".
    That's what this place feels like - hell.
    i hate it already and it's only been a week.
    Some goddamn week!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Primopratsy PSN ID: Primopratsy

Thank you for explaining this in really good details, for all the newbies/noobs out there complaining about the magnificent dedicated servers that Epic games is providing us with.

How can people not have lag if they are running on a restricted NAT with 512kb of internet download speed? But wait, that not even the worst part of it yet, if you ask any of this noobs about their internet speed or if they have an open NAT they don't know either.

Maybe with this thread they will come to sense and feel stupid for all the time they have been complaining about the dedicated serves.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Okay I'm confused. I'm not newtork savvy so could you explain in detail where I go to put these settings in my router, or are all of these options in the Xbox's settings? I NEEDZ HELP!
    I'm an EMT, married to an RN and I have a 3 year old daughter. Shocked that I have a life?
    There is no legit argument for the sawed off. It's a crutch weapon and Epic has said it themselves. If you use it, you're bad. That's all there is to it.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by suppafinga View Post
    I know my NAT is Open, but are there specific numbers we need to put in the port forwarding and address sections, or just any number?
    As a reference, here is what my settings look like:

Settings.jpg

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by AllShamNoWow View Post
    As a reference, here is what my settings look like:

Settings.jpg
    Thanks but do you know if that works for all routers or just LinkSys? I've got a Belkin if tht helps.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Thanks but do you know if that works for all routers or just LinkSys? I've got a Belkin if tht helps.
    I have never used a router brand other than Linksys, so I am not sure what the interfaces look like. The general idea behind putting in the information shouldn't be very different though. If you're unsure, try Googling it. Google knows everything =)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

exactly and mines is netgear

this is all nonsense you should not have to mess around with your internet
    you should just be able to connect to these magical servers automatically
    Some goddamn week!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CorkonionCowboy

Well explained op, epic should be more pro-active like you. I was one of the people complaining but at least now I know a bit more,
    but what I do know is that even if you get a few rough games the majority are miles ahead of gow2!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Slaughterize

I'm still convinced that if the connection is p2p it doesn't provide the sawn off update so the range is still increased over being on a server. Plus you can still easily tell the difference between a p2p connection and a server. When everything is running smoothly and you notice consistent spikes in the connection where you reappear where you were on cover two to three times in a row before you can finally move off the cover that cannot be a dedicated server. As well as rolling across the air when they should be rolling down steps, ect. I run into many p2p games every single night. In your entire thread all you spoke about is latency issues which should be common knowledge.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
    exactly and mines is netgear

this is all nonsense you should not have to mess around with your internet
    you should just be able to connect to these magical servers automatically
    When you're using a router, it doesn't work that way. The router is a hub with a main IP address that then transfers information to the devices connected to it using Network Address Translation or NAT. If the NAT is strict, the router may not know what to do with the information and discards it.

If you're interested you can read an article on how NAT works in full: http://www.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughterize View Post
    I'm still convinced that if the connection is p2p it doesn't provide the sawn off update so the range is still increased over being on a server. Plus you can still easily tell the difference between a p2p connection and a server. When everything is running smoothly and you notice consistent spikes in the connection where you reappear where you were on cover two to three times in a row before you can finally move off the cover that cannot be a dedicated server. As well as rolling across the air when they should be rolling down steps, ect. I run into many p2p games every single night. In your entire thread all you spoke about is latency issues which should be common knowledge.
    pretty obvious its p2p
    its nowhere near as smooth as release day or the rest of that week
    after that is just got worse and worse
    seems for some people its brilliant but for others not so good
    as for me and alot my friends bad!
    Some goddamn week!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've been posting a reply in the server threads with a similar point to OP's post, but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't that the majority aren't on the dedicated servers, but the servers aren't sufficient enough to provide a generally smooth experience for the large amount of players during peak play times (at least in the regions with a bigger pool of players). To put it in simpler terms, it's like running a 64 person BF server off your 5 year old e-machine. I've yet to experience a host change while playing, so it seems more likely that the servers just aren't powerful enough. It seems even more so likely, if the statement I've been hearing that M$ is the one actually owns the servers and Epic just has full access to them for in-game changes.
    Really the only answer for a completely smooth and lag free fps experience is personal run servers, a system that games like counter-strike have used for years. Though something like that would never happen on 360 since M$ likes to have an iron tight grip on the online experience.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

When you're using a router, it doesn't work that way. The router is a hub with a main IP address that then transfers information to the devices connected to it using Network Address Translation or NAT. If the NAT is strict, the router may not know what to do with the information and discards it.

If you're interested you can read an article on how NAT works in full: http://www.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm
    im interested man, this game is going to be the death of me lol
    my nat is open and i run of 50mb internet
    Some goddamn week!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

im interested man, this game is going to be the death of me lol
    my nat is open and i run of 50mb internet
    Some goddamn week!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefist View Post
    I've been posting a reply in the server threads with a similar point to OP's post, but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't that the majority aren't on the dedicated servers, but the servers aren't sufficient enough to provide a generally smooth experience for the large amount of players during peak play times (at least in the regions with a bigger pool of players). To put it in simpler terms, it's like running a 64 person BF server off your 5 year old e-machine. I've yet to experience a host change while playing, so it seems more likely that the servers just aren't powerful enough. It seems even more so likely, if the statement I've been hearing that M$ is the one actually owns the servers and Epic just has full access to them for in-game changes.
    Really the only answer for a completely smooth and lag free fps experience is personal run servers, a system that games like counter-strike have used for years. Though something like that would never happen on 360 since M$ likes to have an iron tight grip on the online experience.
    This is also a good point; server overload can be a huge problem. Sadly I don't know how the dedicated servers are run for the game so it's hard to comment on the matter. Personally I've experienced just one host migration but I'm sure I've been in many peer 2 peer games.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: zSiiKn3Zz

Life would be so much easier if everybody just got a wired connection.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AddictedtoKaos

Okay I'm confused. I'm not newtork savvy so could you explain in detail where I go to put these settings in my router, or are all of these options in the Xbox's settings? I NEEDZ HELP!
    http://portforward.com/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by zI S 1 C K Iz View Post
    I have a router and still use wired connections for everything but my laptop. Having to use a router and having a wireless connection are not necessarily the same thing.
    GT: Nephaerius - Feel Free to Add me for Gears or Other Games Anytime
    Resistance is Futile - forums for gamers by gamers. A great place to connect with your fellow Gears players! (Work In Progress atm)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by zI S 1 C K Iz View Post
    I assume you mean a direct cable connection to either a router or your modem and that is definitely true. I use the wireless adapter on my Xbox and anyone else that uses it should also take that into account when it comes to how good their connection is. The best option is to have your Xbox directly connected to your modem without a router.

Banned

If you need settings for other routers you can go to portforward.com and see if they have anything for you.

Select your router, then in the upper right corner of the next screen click "Skip This Advert".
    They don't list GoW3 but they do have GoW2 instructions, I think they'll work.

Some routers (my linksys for example) will let you give priority to a given address. You can sometimes speed things up this way if you have other people in your house on the same router.
    Last edited by Squeezins; 10-17-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add info

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheCitizenDrunk

I'm entirely aware of how dedicated servers work and I can say with certainty that the servers Epic is using are below what I'm accustomed to playing on in BC2, TF2, etc. You could try to shrug it off as Gears not having netcode that's as good but the first few days of GoW3 the servers were flawless. It felt like having host it was so crisp and I can safely say no SO bodied me outside of it's range. The GoW3 servers are laggy compared to other games as well as compared to the first few days of it's release.

What I don't understand though is why Epic doesn't just list our pings IG already.

I have been saying this same thing for months. People here dont get it man, and they are either going to ignore this thread or come after you because frankly, you have proven many of them wrong. Especially the ones who say "EVEN THOUGH WE ARE ON SERVERS, THE SERVER STILL PICKS A PLAYER AS HOST AND WE ALL CONNECT TO THAT PLAYER", and then the nonsense starts spewing forth.

Nice thread though, I implore people who are in the fog about this to read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMcClure View Post
    Nice Find. It was a legit bug and fixed in the retail version today.

So once Gears 3 releases, when you use the torque, take a bit of pride in knowing you helped make it better

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LobotiCastation PSN ID: LobotiCastation

Today is the first day the servers haven't been up to snuff for me.
    It's pronounced "Gib" with a hard G sound, not a j sound. Epics wrong

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AddictedtoKaos

Ya, I wish they would just go back to the server browser and we could pick which server we wanted to join.

I know now that if it says <5 available games I cancel out of match making and start again. My assumption is that the lobby pings each available game and sorts according to fastest to slowest response then tries to join in that order. If you only have 1-5 servers your option are not that good.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: arCtiC zYn

Some good information in here, hopefully people take note
    El Capitan Team AmazYn
    My Blog: www.reflectzyn.com
    My Youtube: www.youtube.com/arcticvbi
    Hit me up on Twitter!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by arCtyC View Post
    Some good information in here, hopefully people take note
    Thanks a lot. You're a bro and your videos are top notch.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I Count Wins

Belkin router kind of suck. They come equipped with a strict NATs. You could open it up better. But it is easier to buy a Linksys or Netgear. Belkin, of course, is a german router brand. Therefore, it works better in germany or for businesses or homes that need an extra level of security.
    GT: No Actives
    I'm on MLG Gamebattles. Hit Me Up
    Check Out My Music

MSgt. Shooter Person

If your NAT is open, don't mess with anything, there is not benefit. Also, placing your console in the DMZ will not allow media sharing to function. In most cases, forwarding ports is not preferable and actually causes more overhead. In other words, if it works, don't fix it.

The real problem with dedicated servers, is the quantity and their geographic location. There aren't enough of them (ie: only two data centers in the US) and those data centers are located on the East and West coasts, leaving 2/3 of players in the US at a latency disadvantage.

Karried

I don't even know what people are complaining about, I have Clear internet and it's pretty horrible, I got a SpeedTest grade of a F+ - D-, and I do fine, and experience little lag. Nothing serious, and that lag I experience is just movement lag, nothing what so ever to do with weapons, where I'll have to lead shots to get a kill.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Trustno1702

I get what you're trying to do here dude, I really do, And im gonna let you finish "TEHE" but, I do networking for a living and I can promise you theres something wrong with Epics servers.

My connection speed is 14.4 MBS down, and 5.0 up "more than ample for gaming". I have an open NAT, all port forwarding is done, QOS set to my 360 and my Xbox is hard wired to the router. Hell I even tryed by passing my router and connection straight to the modem, Still had problems.

I have ZERO lag problems on any other games, And in fact I had zero lag problems for the first 2 weeks of Gears 3. The last 5 days have been horrid for me with lag.

I can promise you the problem is not on my end. The problem is on Epics end. And just because some people are not having problems does not mean that others arnt.......
    Last edited by Trustno1702; 10-17-2011 at 04:20 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xPTLx Goose

You don't need to DMZ and forward the ports, just one or the other. If you have two xbox's, then one should be in the DMZ and one should have the ports forwarded. You can also create a static IP to save the box's IP address so you don't have to worry about something else taking it over.

If someone said this on a different page, I apologize.

This needs to be stickied so people know how to set up their boxes.
    C.Carmine|Miner|Hammerburst|Gnasher|KoTH

Avid Gears fan since E-day

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Avid Ashes

Thank you for posting this, as it actually helped me with my NAT.
    Thank you Epic for making one of the most insane games I've ever played!!!!
    Check out my YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/incineratefire

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by LastQuestion View Post
    What I don't understand though is why Epic doesn't just list our pings IG already.
    The reason no 360 games will show a in-game ping is because (and I may be wrong, but this what I gathered from the short time I played black ops) that even on a the "full bar" gauge, you can still have a latency of 150-200ms. Which if you've played any pc shooters you'll know that's ridiculous, and practically unplayable for most people. When I play CS or TF2 I typically only go to servers I ping 10-80ms to.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Trustno1702 View Post
    I get what you're trying to do here dude, I really do, And im gonna let you finish "TEHE" but, I do networking for a living and I can promise you theres something wrong with Epics servers.

My connection speed is 14.4 MBS down, and 5.0 up "more than ample for gaming". I have an open NAT, all port forwarding is done, QOS set to my 360 and my Xbox is hard wired to the router. Hell I even tryed by passing my router and connection straight to the modem, Still had problems.

I have ZERO lag problems on any other games, And in fact I had zero lag problems for the first 2 weeks of Gears 3. The last 5 days have been horrid for me with lag.

I can promise you the problem is not on my end. The problem is on Epics end. And just because some people are not having problems does not meant that others arnt.......
    My goal wasn't to deflect and claim that there aren't issues with the servers. The goal of this thread is to provide basic information as to how a dedicated server works and why you can still experience latency issues when playing on them. Hopefully educating the community as to why their experience may be sub-optimal. Of course there are issues with the servers; every game has issues with their servers. I, however, am not versed in the details of how the servers are maintained for this game so I really can't speak on the matter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast