Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lambent Veteran

Default Defeating Tempest on Insane; Impossible

How are you supposed to do it? It's friken impossible! Lol!
    Founder/Director for PWE
    QA for BM Team
    Betrayl | Pendulum Wars Elite

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: El SaNTo 325

Done it. Twice. 1 hour. Each.

Secret:
    (Mutators)
    Ranked #12 in Public TDM LeaderBoard on Gears of War 3 Beta
    http://i53.twitgoo.com/fbgfhv.jpg

When you are so Pro at gaming, the Sun then becomes your true enemy...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mad Matt P

I did it with in co-op arcade without using mutators

If you look for a thread on here somewhere there was a video showing a good spot to be. Its basically using the elevator you came up on as cover. We planted frags around too to stun or kill the guards that tried to ambush us, that actually helped a lot. Try to just ignore the guards completely and hope that the bots (assuming youre not playing with 4 humans) can hold them off. Make sure you get her off the tower as quickly as possible when she jumps onto it, its honestly worth risking dying to get good shots off to get her off the tower quickly. another thing worth mentioning, when you get her downed, it takes a while for her to get back up if you dont hammer her, so use that time to fill up on ammo, run back into the hiding spot, then hammer her when its safe.
    Thanks to Delta Spartan16 for hookin me up with Com Dom
    Thanks to ShadowSniper V2 for hookin me up with the Green Skins

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ZP Xai Xo

Not impossible.

Hell, one of my clanmates did it solo in cinematic mode (as in not Arcade, so no mutators).
    www.ZombiePimps.net - The home of the UK-based Xbox LIVE clan!
    ZombiePimps YouTube - Featuring Gears of War 3, Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3!
    All Flaming weapons | All Chrome weapons | All Gold weapons | All IO weapons | All Liquid Metal weapons
    Anthony Carmine | Savage Theron

Done it, took about an hour almost went crazy trying to do it tho lol

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SwisS ChEeZeR10

Quote Originally Posted by XaiXo View Post
    Not impossible.

Hell, one of my clanmates did it solo in cinematic mode (as in not Arcade, so no mutators).
    That is BOSS if it's true

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you're playing solo, let the bots take care of the palace guards. They're like immune to the Tempest's death ray. When it goes to attack the tower, spot the Tempest so the AI will focus on it.

If you use the elevator method, the only difficult part is when you run out of ammo for the hammer. You'll have to run out in the open to get more. But when you're behind the elevator, you can target the Tempest from there. You should also just blindfire with the Lancer when the Tempest fires its beam at you because you want to take it down asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Z O M B E A S T View Post
    Done it. Twice. 1 hour. Each.

Secret:
    (Mutators)
    Then you dont count. Not until you can do it on standard campaign, cinematic campaign, without mutators like some of us have I do not count you among those who have completed it. I did it alone on cinematic mode. Strap up my friend

Back to the OP - its a bit of pot luck - it took me a long time, but one time for whatever reason I got fewer palace guards than usual and they were not really aggressive. Try to stay back by the elevator and use that as your base of sorts. The bots on your team are the key. You need to focus your time on the Tempest.

Some times though you just get too many screechers and palace guards. Sometimes you wont get all that many, some luck does play in. Was frustrating as hell but youll get it.

Just keep trying.
    Last edited by NFI; 10-15-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMcClure View Post
    Nice Find. It was a legit bug and fixed in the retail version today.

So once Gears 3 releases, when you use the torque, take a bit of pride in knowing you helped make it better

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrAussie View Post
    That is BOSS if it's true

I did it this way as well, it is not impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMcClure View Post
    Nice Find. It was a legit bug and fixed in the retail version today.

So once Gears 3 releases, when you use the torque, take a bit of pride in knowing you helped make it better

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CuencaUnit

I've done it solo without mutators and split-screen with an idle 2nd controller for a co-op medal, also without mutators. More human players = more tempest health and more Theron. In addition, teammate bots can't die and do lots of damage (seemingly if playing on casual).

I haven't unlocked the "Comet" mutator yet, but it would make you invincible while in roadie run which would seriously decrease the frustration.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ll ALEX76 ll

Did it in Arcade and alone.
    It's very possible.
    Getting old

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lambent Veteran

I just did it! I had one of my friends help me. He didn't do it before, but he beat Beast and Horde on Insane. And we didn't fail once! But at the beginning, he didn't know what to do, we kept going behind the wood box things. So we failed two times because of a mutating drudge killed us there. But not once did we fail! And I didn't turn on Infinite Ammo! Just Instagib Melee, and Super Reload. WOOO!!!!! Thanks for the suggestions anyway, guys.
    Founder/Director for PWE
    QA for BM Team
    Betrayl | Pendulum Wars Elite

Have you tried passing power weapons to your bots beforehand? It might help with the guards while you focus on Tempest. It'd kinda be like Tsavo Highway in Halo 3 if you passed fuel rod guns to the marines, then load up in a transport hog.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: iFail 69

I just did this on Arcade with no mutators using the elevator method. Just to confirm that it really does work, Insane with no mutators alone, but damn it was close at times (especially ammo runs).
    EGFC member #125 and proud!
    Click for my first Gears fan-fiction: Growing Up; current status: In-progress; feedback: Very much welcomed!
    Reppin' the COG - Anya Stroud player!
    Gears 2 - Horde player; Gears 3 - Horde + Beast mode addict; Gears Judgment - Overrun + Survival. I'm yo' medic!
    LF Alex Brand code. Would <3 you forever if you'd hook me up I'm already spreading the love to TAO Devil for the Jungle Tai code!
    Representing the Necris Black Legion since 1999! Cryss / Freylis of the Necris Black Legion.
    Rainbow signature is best signature!

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: OO629

the lift where you came from give you a cover against that laserbeam AND it give you an angle for the second part. fire the HoD in burst to do more damage. get ammo while shes down.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bobbo176

I've done it solo in cinimatic mode, tho it took about 40 min to do..... When I go for Arcade mode Insane, I will use the mutators for sure

Banned

Did it on insane (4th playthrough now) and you CAN INSTA-GIB the boss too :P
    When a teammate is Hammer of Dawn'ing her, have another run up to her stomach and melee
    Obviously need the mutator.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by OoPpEe View Post
    Did it on insane (4th playthrough now) and you CAN INSTA-GIB the boss too :P
    When a teammate is Hammer of Dawn'ing her, have another run up to her stomach and melee
    Obviously need the mutator.
    You have made my day, thank you sir.

If there was no friendly AI at all, I think it would have been manageable. The only things the AI do consistently, are run to and stand in front of your reticle, attempt to occupy the same cover which forces you out of cover and ignoring me when I'm DBNO. So far, I have not died to the boss directly, I've only died when one of the above three things, especially the second, occurred.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Griffo The Grif

I did it on Insane (twice) without any mutators I thought it pretty easy.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/iwantbobo#p/u/6/d4-UifNb4Nk
    GoW3 - LvL 79/BEASTLY - FOR RAAM!
    COG - A.Carmine/Locust - Beast Rider
    Sawed-Off Shotgun Discription: Two small cocks that have been welded together that fires hot exploding jiz onto your opponents. Extremely effective at long range.