The Glory of the Theron Guard Soiled?
Ok... so the Sawed-Off is nerfed and all is well and good in the forums... but if I may, is there anyone else who thinks that AI Savage Therons in the campaign/horde are.... just a little too slow on the melee reflexes for being the most elite of Locust warriors? There have been numerous well documented cases of Savage Therons making huge tactical errors like running into walls and heading mindlessly towards players, despite the obviousness of the dangers and tactical flaws... not to mention, their reflexes in melee combat are severely lackluster. This has lead to many people seeing the Savage Theron as more of a cannon fodder, a worthless, easy enemy that can be killed by Snub pistols for fun.
So, Why Does this Bother Us?
These Locust warriors represent the elite of the Locust... the elite guard, the onyx guard of the Locust. Theron Guards have always brought a kind of fear with their presence since Gears of War 1... the haunting, reptilian whispers and their tendency to insta-kill you with ferociously well-planned attacks. Though the Hollows were flooded... they still represent the peak of Locust military prowess, especially due to their now-limited numbers. A Savage Theron, simply put, would be a really nasty foe to face in combat... they would not be willing to throw their lives away for nothing. If they were going to pick up a cleaver and use it... they would use it very effectively, they would wield it in a way that makes people fear their presence and respect them, otherwise they would drop it for something more effective. These Locusts are the Queen's chosen elite, even when Savage, they are commandos of the Locust Horde.
Here are the prime examples of these flaws:
- They run terribly slow, don't take cover, and don't employ the cleaver's roadie-run... often times, they can be seen running into walls or taking the most blunt, direct route to reach an enemy... making them a severely obvious target in most occasions.
- They cannot mantle or mantlekick over cover with the cleaver, making them terrible at almost all forms of melee... the Butcher Cleaver suffers from many drawbacks normally, but it is severely amplified when the AI is trying to use it.
- Their reflexes in melee combat are *very* slow, you can walk up and melee one before it takes a swing at you... I've tried this myself, and it has been confirmed by various horde/campaign players even on Insane difficulty.
- The cleaver by standard swings twice for every one swing... thus leaving the Theron open to just about any melee attack or shotgun blast you desire. An elite, adept warrior would never make such a glaring mistake.
- They have absolutely no resistance to chainsaws, and most people carry lancers in campaign/horde... perhaps they should be able to parry a chainsaw blow and stun the user? THAT would be dangerous... even if it wasn't innately a cleaver ability for players. The cleaver is difficult to use even for the most elite of players... Savage Therons at least deserve some kind of defense.
- They drop their cleaver and use a boltok, regardless of whether the cleaver is nearby, or if there are friendly-dropped weapons nearby... this is not imperative to fix, but once disarmed, their effectiveness in combat naturally decreases to something of a minor combat-support role with the boltok.
Please Epic, You Are Our Only Hope!
The Theron Guard has been a long-time staple character of the series, I have played as a Theron Guard in every single Gears of War game... I was so very excited when I found out there was going to be Savage Therons fighting alongside the Savage Locusts. When I got the game at launch and played through the campaign on hardcore... I felt empty, having seen the Savage Therons run foolishly up to Delta and get cut down like petty drones. But, I brushed this aside and hoped it was just luck on my side... then went through again on Insane solo. Still that glaring flaw... then, still hopeful, I went to horde. Even on hardcore horde, insane horde, these Therons act like nothing more than a butcher with a smaller hitbox. They do not employ the cleaver roadie-run that looks like it was designed especially for them... they do not strike fear in the hearts of Gears... indeed, they rarely get a single kill, unless they somehow manage to sneak up on a manned-turret gunner, which even that is a rarity.
Please Epic... please Developers, heed our humble words!
We think the Savage Therons deserve something more than what they have... yes, they may just be AI characters, but they are iconic and beloved as being one of the coolest Locust in Gears of War since the very first title. They are the Theron Guards... and now they are also iconic as the hardest Locust to unlock in GoW 3, by having to beat Insane Beast mode without losing... ever since I unlocked the Savage Theron, I've played as one in every single Versus match, despite his flaws in AI... hoping to restore the glory of the Therons and indeed the Locusts as well.
Do You Think the Savage Theron's AI Needs Buffed?
Click Here and Vote Now!
All of us here love the Theron Guard, and we think their legacy shouldn't be soiled by these flaws in AI any longer... please, help out the cause. We greatly appreciate every single contribution you can give.