Default Anyone wish the Steve Jablonsky score was a little better? (minor spoilers)

Outside of the now-famous Gears 2 theme replaying during some moments in Gears 3, I found the Steve Jablonsky score to be kind of unmemorable and more "space-filler".

Anyone agree?

He did such a good job on the Transformers movies. What happened here?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think they should have got Kevin Riepl back who did the first gears of war songs. All those songs he did for gears were amazing and realy captured the feel of the game. The only good song Steve did for gears of war was hope runs deep and even that was kind if meh. Kevin Riepls stuff was bad ass especialy when you got into the heat of battle. So yea I agree with you.

Best gears theme ever---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RoOarRix6Q

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hooded Claw 006

Quote Originally Posted by 8nasher View Post
    I think they should have got Kevin Riepl back who did the first gears of war songs. All those songs he did for gears were amazing and realy captured the feel of the game. The only good song Steve did for gears of war was hope runs deep and even that was kind if meh. Kevin Riepls stuff was bad ass especialy when you got into the heat of battle. So yea I agree with you.

Best gears theme ever---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RoOarRix6Q
    100% agree. Kevin Riepl's work was better. The Gears 3 soundtrack is the worst of the trilogy.
    HUGE thanks to TAO Devil and Saxaphone18 for my Aftermath Era Baird 12th Feb 2013. HUGE thanks to DxM for my Jungle Tai character skin. 28th Feb 2013. HUGE thanks to Cher for my Cole Plushie.
    28th Feb 2013. HUGE thanks to poppirt for the Brisk Skin. 9th Mar 2013. HUGE thanks to TAO Devil for my Judgment Demo. 16th Mar 2013. HUGE thanks to PopeAdrian37th for my Neon Skin 27th April 2013. HUGE thanks to III Lycan III for my Team Metal Skin 25th Aug 2013.
    Thanks to III Lycan III, Insane Rumbler and BRUTE for codes for my friend. I Helped The Community Banner awarded 9th Aug 2013.
    ***Gears of War 2 \\*// 6TH September 2010 -- Gears of War 3 Level 400 \\*// 18th July 2012 -- Embry Star - 11th December 2011 -- SERIOUSLY 3.0 - 1st June 2012 Seriously Judgmental - 27th March 2013***

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheEternalKira

Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Claw 006 View Post
    100% agree. Kevin Riepl's work was better. The Gears 3 soundtrack is the worst of the trilogy.
    It does have it's moments though, some do stand tall next to the songs from 1 and 2.
    (Formerly rebeltrooper123) "You want me to give you a code, AND ADD YOU?!?!? Who do you think I am, Jesus?!?!?" -Tkavil3

Banned

steve sucks that he didnt even bring back the crimson omen theme from gears 1 menu.Kevin Riepl's track are amazing even till this day i listen to all his track from gears 1 specially 14 years after E-DAY and fish in a barrel.steve's tracks are all boring and repetitive if u ask me.

can't never forget this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNXOz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUChc...eature=related

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XxNoMercyxX431

The guy who did the instrumental for "Mad World" after Dom's death (And on Gridlock) should be the new composer.

No excuses.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah Honestly this soundtrack was absolutely terrible there was like no soundtrack at all except for at some parts a barely revised Gears of War 2 theme, which was better in Gears of War 2.
    Stop Killstealing Eating cereal takes more skill than using the Sawed Off Shotgun. Hammerburst Veteran Number 18!
    Trance Forever!
    Iĺm looking for a semi competitive Gears team, send me a PM if you wanna recruit me.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Axiom Divine

I remember thinking there were certain parts during the campaign where it didn't seem like the music quite "fit". Steve Jablonsky is still awesome though...Armored Prayer is incredible. Kevin Riepl did a tremondous job. He laid the groundwork for Jablonsky.

I'm not familiar with Kevin Riepl outside of Gears 1. Does he mainly do video game scores, or also TV and movie work? That excerpt posted did remind me of the great theme used in Act 5 when you are on the way to fight RAAM. Very cool music.

Steve seemed to miss a lot of opportunities in Gears 3. Like the underwater level could've used something haunting and otherworldly. Sadly most of the music felt like "generic, loud, muddy percussion action music" rather than showing any musical creativity and distinct melodies. Even John Williams composed some good new themes for the third film, Return of the Jedi ("Enter The Trap" for instance)

I don't think Steve has run out of ideas. I guess he was either distracted with Transformers 3 work or maybe Gears 3 went through so many changes that it was a hard game to score?

thx for posting some score examples. I like listening to them.
    Here are two of the great themes cooked up by Steve for Transformers:

"Scorponok" (everyone's favorite part starts at 2:31)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDFns0LA7O0

"Arrival To Earth"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JD...eature=related

Prisoner 849

His score for Gears 3 was alright, but didn't stand out enough for me. I think Riepl's work is by far the best in the series, and the main theme of the first game that someone posted..its amazing it was never used in the sequels, its such a stand-out. I have to admit to a bit of confusion as to why they changed composers, but there we go.
    "I've been making men into corpses for 30 years boy."

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Big Mikey 052

I can't stand the score for Gears 1. Mainly because it seemed like it was played every 2-3 minutes in the campaign. Which was annoying! I'm just gonna leave it at that.

But I did like the scores for Gears 2 & 3. Because it really seemed to go along with the story more that the score of Gears 1. To me anyway.
    Not dead which eternal lie...
    Stranger eons, death may die
    !

Ohh...bacon!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheLynchBox

Gears of War 1 Main Menu + RAAM boss fight > all else.