Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kantham

Default Lance - Gauntlet Update [Open for mappers]

Gauntlet update is finally available for people to try!

What's Lance?

Lance is a long-time Gears of War PC mod that plays like a offline TDM. Anyone who owns the game for PC can play this for free.

What's new?

This version includes too many changes for me to list all of them, but the major changes are the following:

-A new game mode (Gauntlet).
    -Gauntlet is a dynamic, score/objective-based gametype.
    -Gauntlet feature a new type of foes, the guardians.
    -Easier install.
    -Accessibility.
    -New content.
    -New presentation.
    -A load of tweaks.
    -AI deal respective damage to players with every weapons now.
    -Hardcore mode has been revised and when turned off is offering players a second chance on challenges.
    -Hardcore makes the AI tougher in movement - they will roll at random intervals, making them unpredictable and dangerous.

Install and download

Step 1:

Download the zip from Mediafire, HERE

Step 2:

Open the zip, and locate your "my games" folder under your "documents" folder from most windows platforms
    You are NOT looking for the "C:/programfiles/Microsoft games/" ETC folder!

Step 3:

Drag and drop the files in \My Games\Gears of War for Windows\
    IMPORTANT: When asked to overwritte, click yes.

Step 4:

Open the game and open the console (should be the key next to 1, Q and TAB keys)
    type in the exact following: open lge_redalert

If it didn't work, make sure you have the latest patch installed.
    If that's still the case, and you don't have a retail version of this game, I can not help you.
    Otherwise leave a comment here.
    Known issues

There are some issues I am well aware of, and note that I have no power to fix them with the tools I/we have.

-Sniper AI will headshot you under extremely nonsense circumstances. (I which I could fix that)
    -Anya's face is messed up when in cover facing left (Gears of War 3 models have different face bones).
    -Anya's face is creepy as fk when reloading the Longshot.
    -Anya doesn't gib (expect for the head).
    -Anya is tagged as "Stranded".
    -Anything else related to Anya.
    -Some characters doesn't have their respective gibs. (We (modders, with the tools provided) can not make the custom gibs work from custom models)

All you need to know for Gauntlet

Gauntlet is won by accumulating points. You get these point by doing the following:

Regular kills: +20 ptns
    Guardian kills: +160 ptns
    Reviving a teammate: +180 ptns
    Destroying an enemy crate: +320 ptns
    Securing a friendly crate: +560 ptns

Currently, the goal limit is 3500. Once you've reach that mark, you will win the match very briefly.
    IMPORTANT: The guardians will spawn if you haven't destroyed the enemy crate. You will still get points for killing them, but there will be NO MORE crates spawning until all guardians are erased.

Why only one map?

Currently, this beta version only has a single level, the reason for that is because Lance's visual code is held individually in every single maps, therefore it would be a major hasle to re-port all the maps when the beta has edded it's testing phase.

How many maps are planned for final?

Every single maps released before (revised) plus newer maps eventually. Do the maths.

Who is Burned and why his name is grayed out in the credits? Who else works on this project?

Burned helped me with this project as I've been inspired around 3 years ago. He has done the spawning system and supported me with the visual coding, I am in charge of everything else that you see in the mod. If you have any questions you should ask them to me.

What do you mean by easier install?

I am publishing the files in their respective folders, players just have to drag and drop the files in the right place.
    Instruction are/will also be/made easier.
    Last edited by Kantham; 06-28-2012 at 06:51 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for still being loyal and supporting us delivering sweet offline goods man.

Palace Guard

Yet again, lance still remains the dominant mod, hehe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitpawz View Post
    Glue a camera to the back of the bowl? Why would you want to make that kind of movie anyway? It's sick.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheronDevil

I would love to play this right now but Im still at work and I got nothing to do. This is gonna be a long day...
    Yesterday I have spent few hours playing lance. It seems like Im gonna spent another few hours with your mod today. Thanks !!!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Drone

I will work on rigging the GOW3 characters to the standard GOW1 bones soon.

Also for your bug fixes. Would you be interested in tools that let you control your mod server-side? This is a much easier process for both you and the player as bug fixes are rolled out automatically like a breeze when they launch gow. This will require a hierarchy re-work of your mod, however I am willing to take care of that. My goal is to make modders lives easier for mod distribution and maintenance. This also gives you much more control over your entire mod and LGE settings configuration and lets you tweak it over the air. Fun events are also possible to keep things fresh. I can help you maintain the mod if you wish.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Good news for the bones.

You lost me at server-side. You mean that it helps prevent unusual bugs that happens when people start the game?
    It sounds like a big operation, I'm not sure how it would help or make a really big difference. What happens if the servers are down? Also if I make changes to the .upk package people have to re-download it anyways.

What I would highly be interested in is a way to sort out the audio files replacement. The game's anti cheat system seems to make it nearly impossible to have custom weapon sounds and whatnot, but I figured that someone of your skills could probably have a hint on how it could work.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

No server-side as in a replacement startup.exe alongside a gamelauncher.exe (which is the original startup.exe). The replacement startup exe checks for updates and if theres an update it is downloaded automatically, if the file size is over 10mb for the update then the user will be prompted with a notification window telling them an update is available. It can also be used to send message broadcasts on startup. This saves you having to upload everything all the time to moddb and such and allows you to only change what needs changed. I will look into weapon sounds, as far as SoundGroupClasses for characters though, I don't think the sound bytes and such can be changed there. I do know it's possible to change SoundGroupClasses for characters for example, change marcus to hoffman's voice through a console command. I randomly came across this whilst experimenting a couple of months ago. Servers down? It's not a masterserver so it won't stop the player from playing the game, it just means if the host server happens to be down at the point an update is available, it would show an error saying it couldn't update and will continue to launch Gears. My PW download manager also has a completely automated install process, it downloads it, installs it, done.

So for instance, you wanted to roll out a fixed version of anya. Without these you'd have to upload the whole package again onto Moddb and such and let the forums know an update is available. With the PWBinaries this is automated and handled at my end. The player's Gears will download an update at launch and hey, presto, new anya.

There are a few screenshots of the update process in that thread. These binaries have been tested with a few people with several updates and proven to work as they should, ironed out a few bugs and improved them as I wen't along also.
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ses-these-days

The reason I originally developed these was to make it easier for myself to maintain my own mod. But now I wan't to make it easier for other modders on the forums to update and tweak their mods.

An example scenario:
    My mod has different playlists. So it's like a multiple mods in one type of idea. Now, if I wanted to make a new playlist, it would be a matter of developing it, pushing out a small update and boom, it's there. I use these for fun event variants of playlists also.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    I will PM you with more info on how they work, have you got xfire?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

On paper this does sound quite complicated. But in theory it's a fast simple process.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jcb100

just finished playing this . Savage Grenadier was my favourite character .
    Horde 2.0 | ModDB: Horde 2.0 | [TUT]New AI | [TUT]C++ Fix
    Favourite COG: Civilian Marcus | Favourite Locust: RAAM | Loadout: Lancer, Gnasher, Snub Pistol, Frag Grenades
    I understand they have located another squad. Our strategy remains the same. Cut off the head of the snake... and the body dies... We will win this war, it is only a matter of time.
    They do not understand. They do not know why we wage this war. Why we cannot stop. Will not stop. Until we win... or we die. And we are not dead yet.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyLocust View Post
    So for instance, you wanted to roll out a fixed version of anya. Without these you'd have to upload the whole package again onto Moddb and such and let the forums know an update is available. With the PWBinaries this is automated and handled at my end. The player's Gears will download an update at launch and hey, presto, new anya.
    I do see the use of that, but the thing is that you still have to upload the whole thing either way, the only difference being that the players don't have to check the forums.
    To be honest, I like using the forums to let people know about the updates I'm delivering, considering the vague amount of players showing interest in this game, I don't think implementing such system would be beneficial. But it's a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyLocust View Post
    I will look into weapon sounds.
    Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ardanui

an other good work by katham, but dizzy and kantus? what happened to them?

Palace Guard

Dizzy and kantus aren't in it, oh noez!
    Glue a camera to the back of the bowl? Why would you want to make that kind of movie anyway? It's sick.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: wizard200

I just tried out Anya, very nice =D
    As you said her face can get a bit buggy, but I don't mind that all, it's kind of minor IMO. Im just very greatful to have Gears 3 anya playable in Gears PC

I do have 1 question though =]
    Would it be possible, in any way shape or form.. for me to make Reskins of Anya? Then of course use her in your Maps. I've been a modder for a few years myself and I've become pretty good at re-skinning IMO (And so I'm told that is :P ) I just thought it'd be a blast to give anya an over-haul on textures

Banned
    Gamer IDs

You don't need to upload the whole mod again, you would be syncing it at the convenience of your desktop with dropbox. I will send you a PM going into more details so I am not bamboozling everyone else on the thread :P

MSgt. Shooter Person

QUOTE=Kantham;29163482]I am releasing Beta.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...et-Update-BETA
    If you have suggestions to make, right now is the good time to do it.[/QUOTE]

How about, being able to choose on customization menu if you want gauntlet or TDM, so you may choose, for example, how many lives youll have on gauntlet, cuz, I think I forgot how to play gears since I cant last even 60 seconds on gauntlet on 1 live. Choosing how many lives better than trying different tweak combinations to balance gameplay.

Being rewarded with one of those super powers when destroying a enemy crate would be nice, would make surviving on 1 live easier.

ANd, if it is even possible, a UI with how many points you got would be good.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by XxXbObXxX View Post
    QUOTE=Kantham;29163482]I am releasing Beta.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...et-Update-BETA
    If you have suggestions to make, right now is the good time to do it.
    How about, being able to choose on customization menu if you want gauntlet or TDM, so you may choose, for example, how many lives youll have on gauntlet, cuz, I think I forgot how to play gears since I cant last even 60 seconds on gauntlet on 1 live. Choosing how many lives better than trying different tweak combinations to balance gameplay.

Being rewarded with one of those super powers when destroying a enemy crate would be nice, would make surviving on 1 live easier.

ANd, if it is even possible, a UI with how many points you got would be good.[/QUOTE]

It's things like these that make server-side tweaking useful

MSgt. Shooter Person

I turned hardcore off, and had more fun, hehe, and being rewarded with powers like seeker and shi... such, that would be good if you could set it off or on on customization menu, my suggestion is, more customization, more good. If I said something dumb, I am sorry, I am somewhat frustrated cuz I didnt play GOW near 1 month.
    Last edited by XxXbObXxX; 10-06-2011 at 04:45 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

OnyX Guard starts damaged every time it spawns, but the thing is, it did not do dat before, only Onyx, not anya, not savage Grenadier, but da ONYX!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have to check Onyx before full release.
    Last edited by XxXbObXxX; 10-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

OnyX Guard starts damaged every time it spawns
    Enemy or friendly version?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
    I do have 1 question though =]
    Would it be possible, in any way shape or form.. for me to make Reskins of Anya? Then of course use her in your Maps. I've been a modder for a few years myself and I've become pretty good at re-skinning IMO (And so I'm told that is :P ) I just thought it'd be a blast to give anya an over-haul on textures
    Go wild, but I have the right to say no if the re-skin is inappropriate or lacking that *something*.
    But if you are as good as you claim to be, I doubt that would be the case and I could add your skin to lance.

Actually, if you are interested, you may re-skin Cole to something resembling to GOW 3's classic version of him (Which is turning grays into white mostly)

I'd do it, but I'm starting college and I'll be quite busy.
    Last edited by Kantham; 10-07-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Palace Guard

Ohhhh, Kantham is growing up now!

Don't let those bastards crush you, you are an amazing modder, you deserve to have your chance in the gaming industry

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

I'm not sure what made you think I was in college for Video Game Design...

... but it isn't impossible.

Palace Guard

Lance pretty much made me think that way, you are talented.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

This is not compatible with other lance editions maps , when i choose kantus or dizzy they are empty is there any way to make these work in two maps?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Put the older Lance Elite into a folder called "Lance Elite" inside CustomMaps and the gauntlet update into a folder called Lance Elite Gauntlet

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

well cowboylocust, now when i start the gauntlet version, and then, the old lance elite version the two has the same menu.My problem is, if it is posible to separate it.
    thanks

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Then it's a package conflict. The packages have the same name, renaming won't fix this it will just mean the map won't find the package.

MSgt. Shooter Person

You will have to remove new Lance from your documents and add old lance to play on old maps, and remove old Lance from your documents and add new lance to play on the new map.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAVAGE SPOONDIP

SOOOOOO...... whats the scoop?!?
    hows the project going?
    NEW MAPS?
    MORE CHARS?
    im interested in what you got going on..............

The Sacrifice

Is the mod dead already?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAVAGE SPOONDIP

same thing i was thinking. im sure its not but i never got a response after the last one i posted RIGHT ABOVE YOURS

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Stxtty

i can't get it to work :/ lge_redalert doesnt exist
    same with hrd20_menu a video tutorial would be helpful

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Alright, long time guys.

Long-short story: I am unable to feel this game anymore, I've overplayed it and will no longer be making additional content for GoW PC.

Good news is, I've decided to give you GoW PC die-hards the privilege to continue this mod by adding maps to this version of the mod. There's an etiquette for that and I wish for anyone to respect it as they provide additional content to this community. They are the following:

• You MUST use this version of the mod. Keep the core concept intact - do not produce different version of this mod "IE: Gauntlet 2.0" nor modify the user interface without my approval first!
    • You are free to convert all my old maps. However, If you must convert MP maps from other authors you must ask them permission first! This is very important!
    • Have fun converting.

PS: This version is/was beta, but is working as a final product, please ignore "Beta".
    Lastly, if you have any help request for converting, drop me a PM and I'll try to help out.
    Last edited by Kantham; 06-28-2012 at 06:56 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Lance+Therons security = THE highpoint of gears modding. Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Dang, what a shame, all it needed was more character models to mess around with, a way to implement all those models to the AI, and moar maps.

It was a fun ride while it lasted, one of the best GOW mods.
    Last edited by XxXbObXxX; 06-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

It was a fun ride while it lasted.
    While I am not adding additional content, it doesn't mean the community should with this mod..

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: matrix121391

How long does it take to port one map over? I'm extremely inexperienced with the editing software, but if there's a single formula or list of steps that I can follow, I'd definitely be more than happy to attempt it.
    "I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by DaNCeSWiTHBuLLeTS View Post
    How long does it take to port one map over? I'm extremely inexperienced with the editing software, but if there's a single formula or list of steps that I can follow, I'd definitely be more than happy to attempt it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMTJyKTFZ8

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Much appreciated, bOb. How different is this from porting maps to Gauntlet?
    "I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by DaNCeSWiTHBuLLeTS View Post
    Much appreciated, bOb. How different is this from porting maps to Gauntlet?
    The boxes of gauntlet use the same path nodes as the AI,(spawn in the same place) so it SHOULD be the same procedure.

EDIT: Last time I checked the kismet, I saw nothing that indicated need for extra steps although I am not sure. When I return home to my desktop pc, I may make a test port if I got time.
    Last edited by XxXbObXxX; 08-03-2012 at 07:53 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

If there are no changes, then is it possible to run older LGE maps on Gauntlet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast