Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default Does it matter...720p or 1080p

    What settings are you running... Or does it not matter?

  2. #2
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    854
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: a fat greek cat

    Default

    Honestly, I think 720p looks better for gaming. Don't ask me why. My TV is great and looks amazing in 1080p, but I just feel like the picture is gorgeous for gaming in 720p.

    In reality, it doesn't make much of a difference (though some people will rush to tell you that it does).

    My final highest social wingman rank in GoW2: 201. Social Wingman will always be my babygirl <3
    R.I.P. WINGMAN

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    411

    Default

    With the Xbox 360, no, because the games are being rendered at most 720p, most of the time lower than 720p. When you select 1080p, the Xbox 360 is upscaling the game to 1080p. It's better to let your TV do that than the Xbox. Now, if you're watching content that is natively 1080p ( 1920 x 1080 pixels ) than it will look better than 720p.

  4. #4
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maison Izumo, Shinto Teito, Japan
    Posts
    1,822
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Ms Kazehana

    Default

    Honestly, I don't see much difference between 720p and 1080p. But I keep mine on 1080p just because my TV is capable of it.

    "Tief in meinem Herz Bist du Verbor" R.I.P. Rory BumGod I think about you every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteNub
    it's about your preference, teammate pops a spot after you smoked, run through the mist predator style
    I'm Sekirei #3, Kazehana. There are only 2 people that are allowed to talk down to me. And YOU are neither of them.

  5. #5
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Any reason why gears isn't rendered in 1080p or any other games to say the least? What's holding games back

  6. #6
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,442
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: WarMachine lx

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SILVERBACKXXL View Post
    Any reason why gears isn't rendered in 1080p or any other games to say the least? What's holding games back
    Old hardware.

    Pretty sure only a few arcade titles are native 1080p.
    Adversity - Gone, but not forgotten <3

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SILVERBACKXXL View Post
    Any reason why gears isn't rendered in 1080p or any other games to say the least? What's holding games back
    It's the Xbox console. Of all the games that are made that each console can play, COD, Madden etc. the Xbox console compared to the PS3 is vastly inferior. The reality is that the technology used to make a game for Xbox could play on a PS3, but not the other way.

    Basically it has to be dumbed down for Xbox.

  8. #8
    Palace Guard
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Walsall, UK
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    i only ever use 720 because of my HD PVR but when ive had it on 1080 for my ps3 and blu rays, theres barely any difference
    Lycan & Cheezmo <3

  9. #9
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    283

    Default

    xbox releases more games in 1080 than the ps does... i usualy buy games for the box simply because of that. try playing the same game minus the 1080 and you'll see the difference.

  10. #10
    Iron Guard
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    612
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: EvilTaffyapple

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gears 206 View Post
    It's the Xbox console. Of all the games that are made that each console can play, COD, Madden etc. the Xbox console compared to the PS3 is vastly inferior. The reality is that the technology used to make a game for Xbox could play on a PS3, but not the other way.

    Basically it has to be dumbed down for Xbox.
    WTF are you talking about?

    The Playstation has a slightly better CPU, the Xbox has a slightly better GPU. They cancel each other out. The difference between performance on both machines is >1%.

    Nothing is 'dumbed down' for any machines, apart from PC ports like Battlefield 3 where the consoles cannot handle 64 players.

  11. #11
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    280
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Panasonic3DO

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTaffyapple View Post
    WTF are you talking about?

    The Playstation has a slightly better CPU, the Xbox has a slightly better GPU. They cancel each other out. The difference between performance on both machines is >1%.

    Nothing is 'dumbed down' for any machines, apart from PC ports like Battlefield 3 where the consoles cannot handle 64 players.
    This is true. I would also like to mention most games are multiplatform. So basically if a game is made for both 360 and Ps3 they have to create the game so it would run on both. So even if the Ps3 is hypothetically more powerful it wouldn't matter because the game has to run on it weakest platform. This is why alot of the PC guys get the shaft because most games have to be able to run on 6 or 7 year old console hardware with the rare exception of games that have seperate versions just for the PC like Battlefield 3.
    R.I.P GEARS

  12. #12
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,442
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: WarMachine lx

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panasonic3do View Post
    This is true. I would also like to mention most games are multiplatform. So basically if a game is made for both 360 and Ps3 they have to create the game so it would run on both. So even if the Ps3 is hypothetically more powerful it wouldn't matter because the game has to run on it weakest platform. This is why alot of the PC guys get the shaft because most games have to be able to run on 6 or 7 year old console hardware with the rare exception of games that have seperate versions just for the PC like Battlefield 3.
    Yeah we get shafted a lot. Look at Crysis 2, what a joke. Can't do much though, consoles are where the money is. I know I support the industry buying all my games, even though a lot of them are at ridiculously low Steam sale prices

    But yeah, that guy you quoted shouldn't even have given that troll the satisfaction of a response.
    Adversity - Gone, but not forgotten <3

  13. #13
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    280
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Panasonic3DO

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentCamper View Post
    Yeah we get shafted a lot. Look at Crysis 2, what a joke. Can't do much though, consoles are where the money is. I know I support the industry buying all my games, even though a lot of them are at ridiculously low Steam sale prices

    But yeah, that guy you quoted shouldn't even have given that troll the satisfaction of a response.
    Agreed 10 CHARS
    R.I.P GEARS

  14. #14
    Palace Guard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pillow Pet Factory, MD
    Posts
    3,945
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: girl poison

    Default

    I think I've read or heard that you need at least a 46" TV to notice any slight difference between 720 and 1080.
    Decay Nation
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    LINKS: GIRLPOISON.COM × TWITCH.TV/GIRLPOISON × TWITTER × FACEBOOK × YOUTUBE



  15. #15
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Guangdong, China
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentCamper View Post
    Old hardware.

    Pretty sure only a few arcade titles are native 1080p.
    #

    A couple of full retail titles are also 1080p.

    Sacred 2 and Virtua Tennis are two I recall.

    In general most games are upscaled because the Xbox 360 struggles with high resolutions while keeping a stable frame rate.

    Blame Cliffy B for not pushing for a more powerful GPU aswell as that extra 256mb of RAM he ordered.
    Check out my Gears of War fanfic Demons of War

  16. #16
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girl poison View Post
    I think I've read or heard that you need at least a 46" TV to notice any slight difference between 720 and 1080.
    The physical size of the display device doesn't matter, only the size of the source image that's being displayed what what screen resolution the display device supports. Because Gears of War 3 is rendered natively at 720p there will be almost no visible difference between the 720p and 1080p screen resolution, as even with the resolution set to 1080p, all that's happening is that the 720p image that's being rendered is being stretched out to fill the 1080p space, this is known as "upscaling".

    Example
    This is what it would look like with no upscaling.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Isn't it better to run in 480, just to have the best framerate possible?

  18. #18
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeCiiSsiVe View Post
    Isn't it better to run in 480, just to have the best framerate possible?
    Vsync and other framerate limiting solutions would make the difference negligable since the framerate will never be allowed to exceed 30fps, the only improvement you'd probably notice in Gears 3 is certain cutscenes becoming a bit smoother in the campaign.

    Losing that extra horizontal screen space and the corresponding field out view (as 480p renders using a 4:3 aspect ratio, iirc) would also be a significant disadvantage in multiplayer, it will be very easy to sneak up on you.

  19. #19
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    280
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Panasonic3DO

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    The physical size of the display device doesn't matter, only the size of the source image that's being displayed what what screen resolution the display device supports. Because Gears of War 3 is rendered natively at 720p there will be almost no visible difference between the 720p and 1080p screen resolution, as even with the resolution set to 1080p, all that's happening is that the 720p image that's being rendered is being stretched out to fill the 1080p space, this is known as "upscaling".

    Example
    This is what it would look like with no upscaling.
    Quite honestly most of it is marketing bs. It is like people buying gold plated audio cables due them being better conductors when no human ear could tell the difference.
    R.I.P GEARS

  20. #20
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Guangdong, China
    Posts
    956

    Default

    An upscaled (just under) 1080 image of Halo Reach. Click then zoom to see full size).

    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

    If you saw this image in its native resolution it would be of much better visual quality.

    It's easier to not notice much difference when an image is dynamic and you're sat a fair viewing distance from your display.
    Check out my Gears of War fanfic Demons of War

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeCiiSsiVe View Post
    Isn't it better to run in 480, just to have the best framerate possible?
    Hell no. Do you know how nasty a SD resolution looks on an HDTV?

  22. #22
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    So what does gears 3 look like on a PC with the settings dialed up?

  23. #23
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turmanate View Post
    With the Xbox 360, no, because the games are being rendered at most 720p, most of the time lower than 720p. When you select 1080p, the Xbox 360 is upscaling the game to 1080p. It's better to let your TV do that than the Xbox. Now, if you're watching content that is natively 1080p ( 1920 x 1080 pixels ) than it will look better than 720p.
    I disagree with the bolded part. The 360 has a good scaler, use it. If the game is rendered at 600p, with your scenario, you'd be using the 360 to scale to 720p and the TV to scale to 1080p. Thats two lossy scalings instead of one lossy scaling. Set your 360 to 1080p, and it will scale the 600p straight to 1080p, one scale is better than two.

    Not to mention, if the game is rendered at 540p, thats a clean scale (no loss) into 1080p. I think you should set your console to the native resolution of your TV. Let the console do the work.
    Last edited by Hixbot; 09-28-2011 at 08:21 AM.

  24. #24
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Vsync and other framerate limiting solutions would make the difference negligable since the framerate will never be allowed to exceed 30fps, the only improvement you'd probably notice in Gears 3 is certain cutscenes becoming a bit smoother in the campaign.

    Losing that extra horizontal screen space and the corresponding field out view (as 480p renders using a 4:3 aspect ratio, iirc) would also be a significant disadvantage in multiplayer, it will be very easy to sneak up on you.
    There is a 480p widescreen mode. The pixels are rendered wide not square in widescreen mode. but yeah i agree, no frame rate benefit from running 480p. The game likely renders at only one resolution, setting the console to 480p likely results in downscaling - no frame rate benefit.
    Last edited by Hixbot; 09-28-2011 at 08:22 AM.

  25. #25
    Prisoner 849
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Guangdong, China
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SILVERBACKXXL View Post
    So what does gears 3 look like on a PC with the settings dialed up?
    Gears 3 isn't on PC. Original Gears is though and that looks alot better than the Xbox 360 version.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •