Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Redeemer

Default True First Person Demo 2012-04-18

2013-01-23 UPDATE: Added Mediafire alternate download link (see below).

Download links (includes source):
    tfp20120418.7z GameFront
    tfp20120418.7z Mediafire

True First Person Demo

Version: 2012-04-18

UDK Version : 2012-03

Installation:
    Decompress to fresh UDK install, making sure to overwrite existing files.

Includes:
    • true first person view
    • simple weapon collision
    • iron sight / ADS system
    • item pickup via key
    • sprinting
    • walking
    • visible shouldered weapons
    • visible item pickup
    • head/face tracking via Seeing Machines FaceAPI
    • misc bugs

Source included.
    I focussed on making sure replication worked well.
    Fairly clean, lot of commenting.

Anyone looking into unreal script, animation trees, playing animations or replication should find it useful.

Enjoy.

-Kris
    Last edited by slowJusko; 01-22-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: New version.
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH
    Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter
    Rule #11: Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Iron Guard

impressive man, really looking good
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very good!

I have one question regarding this How did you set up the weapon hold types? i tried checking the animsets but all that i could saw was just Additive animations

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YakZSmelk

Awesome looking, i'll definitely be looking at how you set up the weapon pickups this is something I've been trying to figure out. Want a weapon pickup system like that in the Halo titles.

I'am really excited to see what you end up creating with this!

My only critics and I know this is still WIP but the gun running animation is really intense! Possibly make a less violent animation and for shooting add a crosshair or create your weapons to have true ironsights.
    Current UDK Project: Wild Wild Western
    Personal Website: robhow.com

Redeemer

@alvarofer0021: The additive animations are part of it. Rather then using an AnimNodeAimOffset node, the animation tree uses an AnimNodeSequenceBlendByAim node. Then you add or remove animation sets via code. As long as the animations names in each set match (aim_CU, aim_CC, ready_run, ready_idle etc) they will play and blend correctly.

The code is pretty straight forward.
    Two new functions - ClearPlayerAnimSets() & AddPlayerAnimSets() - and an array for the weapon - PlayerAnimSets.
    Check out the WeaponAttachmentChanged() function in tfpPawn.uc for the logic.

@YakZSmelk: Don't plan on replacing the default UDK player animations or models - you'll have to live with it
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YakZSmelk

Eh! Either way it's cool I've been having fun shooting bots in it!
    Current UDK Project: Wild Wild Western
    Personal Website: robhow.com

Great work, SlowJusko. I've been following your work for a while now and am keenly interested in this type of camera/control for a UDK game, so it's very generous of you to have provided your work. I'm just about to start up with the new beta, now is a good time to take a look at what you've done here

HI,

Got a slight problem, I extracted teh files as directed started teh game and it ran fine, Some really cool stuff and very well done.
    However when trying to launch the game again, it just reverts back to the old game with none of your features running at all.

Any Help ?.

Redeemer

Need to pick the TFP.TFPGAME under "GAME MODE".
    It reverts to UTDeathMatch for some reason.
    I'll have to do some proper UI work.
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

Banned

I don't have any sword in the game help?

thanks I worked it out in the end, BTW really nice job.

Redeemer

@GentlemenGraphic: You're not supposed too. The sword stuff in the code/assets was just me mucking around with a melee weapon. Thought the snippet might come in handy for someone and I may it properly later.
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: arcanumgames PSN ID: arcanumgames

Very Nice Source Code

This is awesome. Thanks for this.

So well slowJusko In order to get my Own weapon hold types to work I just export 1 frame animations with every pose? Left,Right crouch etc? And what if i wanted to use the aim offset system?

Redeemer

@alvarofer0021 :
    You could use a AnimNodeAimOffset if you had some standard aim offsets and use the AnimNodeSequenceBlendByAim for all the rest.
    From memory, Gears of War does this.

Otherwise, yes, 1 frame animations for the AnimNodeSequenceBlendByAim in each pose - CU, CC, CD, LU, LC, LD, RU, RC, RD.
    Once created, you turn them into additive animations in the AnimSet editor (see Creating an Additive Animation).
    As long as the name of the animations follow the proper naming conventions (Ready, ADD_Ready_CC etc) it will work with out modifying the animation tree further.
    You will need idle animations and such too, unless you want the poses blended with the default idle animation
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: none

WOW!...very nice;thanks.
    What have we become!...

Sorry for asking here again but i got one last question about the additive Animations

If lets say i create a animset holding all my weapons stances

Then ok i create a weapon that uses those animsets

But if i create a weapon that lets say Uses a diferent hand pose But the rest its the same as the animations

I need to create the whole set of animations for this weapon too?

Redeemer

Yes/no.
    It would depend on how different the animation was.
    If it was a simple shift of the left hand on the front of the weapon, then no.
    If it was a completely different style of aiming the weapon, then yes.

You could, for instance, share all the animations between an M4 Carbine and a FAMAS, with the FAMAS reload animation in a new animation set.
    Make sense?
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

Hi slowJusko,
    I was wondering how to implement a basic weapon using your true first person demo (Which is fantastic by the way);Should I derive from your shock rifle classes or the base UT shock rifle classes. The test I did made a gun (derived from the tfp files) that only pointed downwards, couldn't fire, and didn't do anything at all. It was derived from the tfp shock rifle class (With edits only to the class names and the skeletal mesh, which is a 3P mesh by the way), so is that the issue or something else?
    Thanks for the demo and any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Magitek View Post
    Hi slowJusko,
    I was wondering how to implement a basic weapon using your true first person demo (Which is fantastic by the way);Should I derive from your shock rifle classes or the base UT shock rifle classes. The test I did made a gun (derived from the tfp files) that only pointed downwards, couldn't fire, and didn't do anything at all. It was derived from the tfp shock rifle class (With edits only to the class names and the skeletal mesh, which is a 3P mesh by the way), so is that the issue or something else?
    Thanks for the demo and any help!
    you should always derive from the main weapon class (tfpWeapon)

make sure that your weapon had a fire projectile and damage type applied on its defaultproperties

It works now...I forgot to copy the sockets from the tfp shock rifle...noobish mistake.
    Last edited by Magitek; 10-18-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Banned

I changed the default pawn to my own but now the camera is not behind my character or following it is just sitting still in the middle of nowhere how would I change this?

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemenGraphics View Post
    I changed the default pawn to my own but now the camera is not behind my character or following it is just sitting still in the middle of nowhere how would I change this?

You will need to update your pawn to support the viewpoint via GetViewLocation(), CalcCamera() etc.
    Probably just easier to modify tfpPawn directly or at least base your pawn off it.
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slowJusko View Post
    You will need to update your pawn to support the viewpoint via GetViewLocation(), CalcCamera() etc.
    Probably just easier to modify tfpPawn directly or at least base your pawn off it.
    Thanks but I don't know what to do. Could you explain in more detail please.

Redeemer

GetViewLocation() should be GetPawnViewLocation().
    Aside from that, what other details do you need?
    The code and model is right there
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

Banned

Hi. I have used your sword in-game but when I try to attack with it it does no damage. What do I need to do to have it kill a bot? MELEE!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lord aZzy

Make sure you assign some damage to the sword. Then tell it what happens when it hits an enemy. ( take away damage )
    aZtekk Productions.

Stuck? Give [UDKC] a visit!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aZzy View Post
    Make sure you assign some damage to the sword. Then tell it what happens when it hits an enemy. ( take away damage )
    Thanks for the advice aZzy but I think it already has damage assigned as it says in the code use scorpion blade damage type or something. Is this not what I need in the code?

What do I need to add or change in the code, the uc file?

Thanks aZzy and/or anyone else who helps.
    Last edited by GentlemenGraphics; 10-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Redeemer

@GentlemenGraphics: I PM'd you back, but as I said in there, it was working last time I used it, before I disabled it.
    Have no idea why it wouldn't work.
    May re-enable it at a later date...
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

Dunno if this has been covered at all...but could this method be used to see the full body? The shoulder/arm effect looks great...what would it take to be able to look at your feet or body while playing...I've always found games that you cannot see your own legs frustrating!

And thanks for sharing your materials. I think the community will get a lot out of it
    Life is a game. Life is a Character Tutorial. Life is a Website.

Redeemer

You don't have to do a thing - it already does that
    Haven't hear the term 'true first person viewpoint' before?
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

MSgt. Shooter Person

well not sure why yet as I am trying to find a reason but it seems to crash in the new october release in the editor. anyone else tried it there yet ?

Redeemer

Just shifted everything over to the October release and did a full recompile to test this myself.
    I experienced no issues my end, but I manually updated the October config files.

Perhaps copying the tfp demo configs over the October configs results in a bad setting?
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

MSgt. Shooter Person

the weird thing is i am getting the crash from the character package. not sure whats wrong .... I maybe have a bad file or something but if you started from scratch would you have to modify more in the configs than to add your compile to the default? is there something i am missing?

So anyways did a fresh install of both the sept and oct release and if you package the game it wont start for whatever reason it just leaves you in spectator mode and sometimes it disables all keys so you cant even exit out.
    I will look deeper as I am sure its something in the config files, but in the mean time if anyone else is having this issue and has resolved it

thanks again Jusko
    Last edited by DJMidknight; 10-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Redeemer

Update in the works, based on October 11 version of UDK.
    • Fixed misc sprint issues.
    • Added swimming, but I found that default swimming had the player model bobbing up and down like crazy or clipping the ground. Fix is simple and it should replicate fine.
    • Updated jumping to transition between a short and long fall (allow aiming / no aiming) as well as lean into jumps and out of falls.
    • Added sitting animation while in manta.
    • Working on replication.
    • Need to fix missing sound errors.
    • Need to add gibs.
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH

[*]Working on replication.

I freaking love you!

by the way slowJusko how did you made the Weapons Profile Animsets? i mean Just using the UDK editor or in a external software'?

@slowJusko thanks a billion for this .. though I have one question, i started learning Unrealscripting recently.. I just can't see where u did the Code for ADS .. is it in the playercontroller.uc ?

tfpPawn check the StopAltFire function and ToggleIronSights

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast