Bring TRUE Objective Game Type Strategy to Gears Judgment
First, before automatically voting no because Gears hasn't had this before I ask that you simply think about the possibility of this game type and how it would fit in with the Gears gameplay. Please read before voting.
Capture the flag is the classic objective mode in competitive multiplayer games. It is in or has been in nearly every major competitive shooter. There is a reason for this of course - it's a f*cking BLAST when you have a good team. I've been playing shooters for 15+ years now (games in general for going on 30 years - yes I'm an old man) and some of my best memories are while playing CTF in various games (actually one of them being Epic's own Unreal Tournament/Championship). The reasons I think a CTF game type would be amazing in Gears Judgment are as follows:
1. Gears first and foremost is a team orientated game. Unlike other major shooters, you NEED a good team to truly do well. It is one of the things that separates Gears from other shooters and makes me love it all the more.
2. The 5 on 5, 3rd person perspective, tactical gameplay of Gears fits a mode like capture the flag amazingly well from a dynamics perspective.
3. The map design and weaponry in Gears Judgment will be ideal for CTF gameplay. The combination of up close weaponry (where teammates would attack and defend each other while escorting a flag carrier) and ranged weaponry (going for that down or flag carrier stop from distance) is perfect. You combine that with the symmetrical map layouts and you have the ideal breeding ground for epic CTF matches.
Just picture if you will, a blue COG flag on one side, red Locust flag on the other, and teams of 5 fighting to get to the other side. Roadie running is like it was designed for CTF from the outset. You can run, but you can't shoot and it can be a challenge to navigate quickly sometimes due to the 3rd person perspective and screen shaking. Imagine roadie running (limited speed most likely) with a flag (lessened speed similar to running with shield) while you have your 4 teammates using various loadouts to try and help you get back to base to score a flag?
Imagine Blood Drive with a flag planted at the top of either of the main steps outside of where you spawn. You have a choice, go up the main steps which will be very hard due to the visibility of the other team seeing you coming or go through the back, past grenades, and with more cover but a longer distance to travel. Imagine the battles with your teammates to get there and grab the flag. Better yet, imagine the tension you would feel after you got the flag and had to try and roadie run all the way to the other side without getting downed (which would make you drop the flag). I'm smiling just thinking about it!
Now some people will say "But we had Submission and now we have Capture the Leader". Let's face it, Submission was the least liked game type overall and Capture the Leader simply isn't fun nor well received by the community either (even more apparent now that Guardian came back!). They don't have the same dynamics of a true CTF game type. Why? Because once you grab the leader, the battle doesn't move from that area. You move extremely slow and all your team has to do is setup a perimeter to try and protect you. Submission of course you had to move but the pace was terrible and the ring moving made it even worse.
The KEYS to capture the flag are tension and speed. What makes it so much fun is the tension you feel as you are RACING with the flag to try and score. And as you have to move the flag quickly, the game changes on the fly because teams are in a constant struggle to do many things at once which include guarding the flag, getting the flag, and stopping/protecting the flag carrier which happens all over the map. This simply does not happen in CTL or Submission.
I keep dreaming of a real CTF game type in Gears. It really could be amazing on all levels. And really, I'm not sure it would even be that difficult to implement at this point. I understand how Gears likes to have its own unique modes, but as I said there is a reason that CTF has been in nearly every competitive shooter. Epic implemented Team Deathmatch in Gears 3 despite previously not having a respawn deathmatch game type, and look how that turned out - it is the #1 played mode BY FAR. We should ALL hope for things that will make Gears a better/deeper overall experience online. Please at least consider it.
Additional Ideas Added by Supporters:
- Movement speed should be about the same as when running while holding a boomshield. This adds to the tension and increases the need for teamwork.
- You should not be able to use any weapons while carrying the flag but the flag can be used as a melee weapon. We could even have a flag specific execution.
- The game could be setup to cap 2-4 flags a round with the first team winning 2 rounds winning the match. Score limits and round counts could vary by map / CTF game type (single flag or multi-flag).
- Another idea is to simply set the 2 rounds with a time limit and have whoever caps the most win. If at the end of the time limit in the 2nd round the teams are tied, then the game goes to sudden death OT. There would need to be a final time limit which could result in a tie or have a tie-breaker of some sort like "Most Flag Grabs" or "Greatest Flag Movement Distance". Whatever works best....
- The flag should likely be returned on a short timer (maybe 5 seconds). This will help balance map size and cover for the flag carrier.
- Characters could have specific quotes for capturing a flag or executing with a flag. Imagine the possibilities!
- Spawns would have to be modified so that you could spawn near your flag with spawn protection.
- A big concern is map size for something like say Checkout versus say a map like Sandbar. A good way to balance these could be to have two variations of CTF - One Flag (where teams take turns attacking/defending) and Standard/Two Flag/Multi-Flag (where each team has a flag and your flag has to be in place to score the opponents flag). A map like Sandbar could be excellent for attack/defend while a small,symmetrical map like Checkout could be perfect for Two-Flag.
We passed 1,000 supporters:
We're rollin, rollin, rollin.........
Nothing can slow us down.......
Nothing is gonna scare us off............
And we're ready to steal some flags classic style.......
Let's take a look:
- Over 1,000 supporters.
- Over a 4.5 to 1 approval rate.
- Over 80,000 views.
And now EPIC...........we wait on you.