Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dungeon Escape! (Released!)

Dungeon Escape is a first person adventure UDK level. The goal is escape, there is hidden treasure and speed bonuses.

DOWNLOAD
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeon...dungeon-escape

VIDEO
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNq8YKmpF0

SCREENSHOTS
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Last edited by Max Power; 10-08-2012 at 01:17 AM.

that looks great =D

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice work as usual matey! those crunchcast vids are quite fun too!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blast Hooligan

Nice job man - quick visual question though, looks like the ceiling in most parts is pitch black (or is it missing?) Anyway, great stuff, keep it up!

In one of the main areas there is no ceiling. I plan on modeling in a vaulted ceiling maybe tonight. Also, my rough stone material is too dark, which is used as a ceiling in some areas.

I have to fix the levels on all the sounds. Working late I was using these loud headphones. I noticed today in the video most of the ambient is too quiet. Anybody hear that piano?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Clown 117

Sweet Jesus Chris(see what I did there?), do you ever stop?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very nice. Reminds me of TES Oblivion.

-Mr. Illusive

Thanks you guys.
    Here's an update vid: http://youtu.be/m5c0NCRmlPM
    a lot of new art and corrected audio levels.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Clown 117

so, when will this be up?

quick video update
    http://youtu.be/hffWpfQvkqc

Cleaned up a lot, and added new sounds. For fun, did a recreation of the classic deathmatch map, Bad Place to stetch the set's versatility.

Ok I took the idea from my WIP thread post, and applied it to this dungeon set since they were a perfect match. Now I have a creepy dungeon that changes as you play.

previous vid http://youtu.be/EBIrW9yMFEg

After a brief hiatus, I'm back on this with a big update.

First is the new gameplay video (placeholder art)

Modular Dungeon, the first minute

next post, work flow tutorial vids

I'm starting to replace all the temp art, and decided to document the workflow

Hand Painted Realistic Stone Tile Tutor

UDK Modular Brick Creation Tutor

UDK Modular Brick Tutor example 2

Here's some more arts, another example using basically the same technique

These images are pretty huge, love the shot tag

Playing with some different techniques to create an overly detailed, simple asset.

Steps:

quickly setup two displacement (height) maps in photoshop.

Applied each of those displacements to planes in Max. Using a similar technique of stacking a displacement on a turbosmooth. Adjusting iterations of the turbosmooth makes it a lot easier to work with while jacking up for detailed render.

Combined those two meshes on each other, and applied a wood and metal textures. Added another plane and shaped out the hoops (metal rungs) slightly. for baking out a diffuse, normal and lighting map.

After baking out materials, duplicated, bent, FFD'ed the low poly mesh and extruded in the cap. Created 2nd channel UVs for UDK lightmapping and imported to UDK

Flats: multipled a leveled AO over the diffuse color, painted in some edge highlights / additional shading. Added rivits, generated specular, cleaned up normal.

Also created a cap wood texture for the top/bottom of the barrel.

Final result in UDK is pretty good. Still needs some clean-up, but I'm happy with the result of the technique. It yield huge source textures, displacement maps, and a quaded mesh for easy LODs.

Iron Guard

It's a nit picky thing that comes from having a genius of an audio lead that hammers these things home but your audio needs a bit of mixing work. It's not accurate for the environment in which it's being heard. Almost sounds like the sample rate is a little off as well.

If that's important to you that is, might not be
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very slick man.

Not as related to this project; I put up a demo video of displacement tessellation over the weekend. Should be useful for those looking for info on it

Here's a quick cave I put together over the weekend using my dungeon set. I didn't need to make any new assets besides the cave shell mesh itself. Very early WIP, plenty of Dear Esther inspiration.

God King

Love the DX11 tests and the cave is great! Didn't think you would be able to do modular in asymmetric designs such as caves etc.

People love steps. I hope this explains what I did for the cave. I admit this result is a little sloppy, but these steps are more discussing quickly blocking out a scene for aesthetics.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Awesome examples of the new features. Thanks a lot for sharing them!

God King

How do you get a continuously tiling texture such as for a cave of stretch of road without uv-mapping it in a way that's just for a "skin".

I was never able to really get to that or understand the process. Thank you!

I use Max, what I prefer to use flatten mapping in the UV editor. This automatically lays all the UVs out. Then stitch everything together picking where the seams should be. For the seams, I pick corners or other hideable edges via propping.

Note: the flatten mapping process will scale the UVs down probably smaller than you'd want. I always scale them up when complete. To be sure the pixel ratio is good, I like to use a UVW Map box as a reference.

You can take this a step further by blending two textures. Use 2 different UV channels, and move the seams to other spots. This will give a seamless cave result.

Video Tutorial: Creating a UDK Torch with Displacements in Max

Created a new door in a Google+ Hangout tonight. I do this regularly if anyone is interested in joining.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey, that's looking really nice. I remember running into your lava shader a while back, nice work.

Just found you and added you on G+... might catch the next hangout.

Is this fully lit? Can we see the diffuse channel? Dark or noisy saturated tones in the diffuse channel will mess with your light-bounced colors. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but the screenshot gives a hint of that.

I love the modular dungeon approach. I've been thinking about using UDK as a virtual tabletop for RPGs and modular environments definitely seem the way to go.

New stairs. There's some seams and bugs to clean up, created 100% in a g+ hangout

I would love to see some more value separation, as well as some hue variation in those stairs. At least to separate the ground from the wall..

It looks gorgeous though, this level is starting to really crystallize into a solid 'folio material. Are you thinking about some kind of highlight prop to get some focal eye candy into the level?

Deathless

looking awesome there. I gotta do a modular dungeon at some point soon so this is inspiring

Your level looks great! I enjoyed watching your run around in it doing Google+ hangouts!

UDK Modular Dungeon Closed Beta ready to go.

Let me know if you're in. This isn't for everyone.

indiedb page authorized today. http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeon-escape

check it out, 8 new screenshots.

lol. I tried to think of a more esoteric name, but this simple one stuck since it wasn't used anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast