MSgt. Shooter Person

Lightbulb Vroom! is on the app store - updated, and now 99c

We're up on the store!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vroom...1634?ls=1&mt=8

Please let us/me know about any issues you have and we'll try to get them fixed in an update real soon.

So back in April my team (two other guys) and I decided we'd make an iOS game based on our old Half-Life 2 mod from 2008, Shotgun Sunrise. That game is Vroom! And it's just been submitted to the app store. We are super excited about it.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I'm having some serious internet troubles lately so I don't have time to make a better video than this clumsily-filmed over-the-shoulder one but I reckon it'll do the job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsSn8xBbzUU

This is the first game any of us have ever sold and it's a pretty good feeling having it submitted. It should be on the store within a couple of weeks for iPhone (3GS and 4) and iPads, and all the iPod Touch 3rd-gen-and-ups. It'll be $1.99 and there's also a lite version going up for free. The game is all about driving around hitting zombies in your truck and doing ridiculous jumps.

Here's the description going on the store:
    Vroom is a racing and vehicular-zombie-flattening game made with the UDK. Drive your big blue truck around three zombie-infested tracks, boosting up half-pipes, catching mad air, and revelling in your extermination of the loathsome undead.

-3 levels (so far!)
    -Customise the aesthetics of your already amazing pickup truck
    -Marvel at the ragdoll physics as you mercilessly slaughter the walking dead
    -Use said slaughter to fuel your Vroomometer and set incredible new lap times
    -Featuring the incredible musical stylings of Jonathan Yandel
    Hope you folks buy it. Thanks, forums! You've been helpful.

Official site's over here: http://www.impromptugames.com/vroom

Hey dudes there's new news on the internet.

http://impromptugames.com/2011/09/01...-vroom-update/
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

That picture you’re staring at is what we look like when we’re standing in Valve’s lobby just being incredibly handsome, after going on a tour and hanging out with Gabe Newell for a bit. For me this was the second time I’ve hung out with Gabe. Last time I had him shipped, but since we were in Seattle anyway for PAX this week, visiting Valve seemed the more practical option. Gabe played Vroom for a bit on the iPad 2, and did a barrel roll. He didn’t say anything specifically bad about it, so I’ll chalk that up as an endorsement.

Randy Pitchford of Gearbox also played Vroom and enjoyed it enough to tweet about it, and Tycho of Penny-Arcade described it as hot ****.

On Vroom! – I’d like to thank all ya’ll for all the feedback. Some of you love it and some of you hate it passionately, and you’ve all got some good points, some of which are addressed in the update we’re planning to submit to the store any minute now. It’s going to take a few days for Apple to verify it, though. Here’s a changelog that is 100% certain to have some things missing.

• Fixed the issue where the entire game looked inexcusably absymally terrible on the iPhone 3GS and 3rd-Gen iPod Touches
    • Vroom theme now plays in the main menu
    • Added congratulatory notification when you beat a previous best lap time
    • Added admonishment when you fall off a cliff
    • Added signs with big red arrows on ‘em to help guide you around the tracks
    • Fixed some of the stupid movements the zombies would sometimes do
    • Fixed lighting on truck and truck items so they’ll never show up all black and stupid-looking anymore
    • Fixed round end score text sometimes displaying over the top of the loading screen
    • Made round end/timer text larger and more in-charge
    • Improvements to the smoothness of the camera tilt, it should feel less sluggish now
    • Fixed some collision issues on level 2, where really amazing people could sometimes get on top of the world
    • Fixed similar issues on all maps, actually
    • Fixed the issue that was causing level 2 to be pretty much impossible to lose
    • Zombies will now also spawn when you drive the wrong way around the track. Added “wrong way” text but then took it away again because that’s no fun at all. Drive wherever you want, you guys
    • Various optimisations to hopefully improve performance somewhat on most platforms. Certainly load times are better. More FPS improvements on the way
    • Improved blood effect, it actually looks like blood now
    • Fixed zombie LOD issue on 3rd-gen devices
    • Other Stuff Also

Keep that feedback coming, chums.
    Last edited by Lacabra; 12-14-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Redeemer

Awesome job guys. I'm always curious to see how well these projects actually do once they go live. Any chance you could give us a "basic" post-mortem of how well it did after say a month of being available? Obviously I don't expect you to give out detailed financials, but I'd be curious to see whether sales met with your expectations, exceed them or fell short. Just a request Looks fantastic.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sure, I think I can swing that. Just be sure to link all your friends.
    Thanks!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey dudes there's new news on the internet.

http://impromptugames.com/2011/09/01...-vroom-update/
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

That picture you’re staring at is what we look like when we’re standing in Valve’s lobby just being incredibly handsome, after going on a tour and hanging out with Gabe Newell for a bit. For me this was the second time I’ve hung out with Gabe. Last time I had him shipped, but since we were in Seattle anyway for PAX this week, visiting Valve seemed the more practical option. Gabe played Vroom for a bit on the iPad 2, and did a barrel roll. He didn’t say anything specifically bad about it, so I’ll chalk that up as an endorsement.

Randy Pitchford of Gearbox also played Vroom and enjoyed it enough to tweet about it, and Tycho of Penny-Arcade described it as hot ****.

On Vroom! – I’d like to thank all ya’ll for all the feedback. Some of you love it and some of you hate it passionately, and you’ve all got some good points, some of which are addressed in the update we’re planning to submit to the store any minute now. It’s going to take a few days for Apple to verify it, though. Here’s a changelog that is 100% certain to have some things missing.

• Fixed the issue where the entire game looked inexcusably absymally terrible on the iPhone 3GS and 3rd-Gen iPod Touches
    • Vroom theme now plays in the main menu
    • Added congratulatory notification when you beat a previous best lap time
    • Added admonishment when you fall off a cliff
    • Added signs with big red arrows on ‘em to help guide you around the tracks
    • Fixed some of the stupid movements the zombies would sometimes do
    • Fixed lighting on truck and truck items so they’ll never show up all black and stupid-looking anymore
    • Fixed round end score text sometimes displaying over the top of the loading screen
    • Made round end/timer text larger and more in-charge
    • Improvements to the smoothness of the camera tilt, it should feel less sluggish now
    • Fixed some collision issues on level 2, where really amazing people could sometimes get on top of the world
    • Fixed similar issues on all maps, actually
    • Fixed the issue that was causing level 2 to be pretty much impossible to lose
    • Zombies will now also spawn when you drive the wrong way around the track. Added “wrong way” text but then took it away again because that’s no fun at all. Drive wherever you want, you guys
    • Various optimisations to hopefully improve performance somewhat on most platforms. Certainly load times are better. More FPS improvements on the way
    • Improved blood effect, it actually looks like blood now
    • Fixed zombie LOD issue on 3rd-gen devices
    • Other Stuff Also

Keep that feedback coming, chums.

MSgt. Shooter Person

First update is out for Vroom!, fixing a bunch of issues, including that the game looked terrible on 3rd-gen devices. There's never been a better time to give us your money! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vroom...1634?ls=1&mt=8

MSgt. Shooter Person

Version 1.2 just came out. The game is also only 99c now. Here's the change log:

-Performance optimisations
    -Added cockpit view option, can be toggled in pause menu
    -More zombies
    -Added fancy specular effects to some objects/snow on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S
    -Light shaft effects are now enabled on the iPhone 4S
    -Improved camera positioning and behaviour
    -Zombie walk animation improved
    -Added Zombie Gibbing
    -Added slow motion effect when you hit zombies while boosting, because it's awesome
    -Fixed issue that was preventing zombies from spawning in some areas, making level 1 sort of goddamned boring
    -Boosting no longer prevents you from turning sharply
    -You can now jump the ravine in level 2 as a shortcut to the next checkpoint if you are badass enough
    -Moved truck's booze keg
    -Added extra jumps to level 3
    -Improved rendering of fonts
    -Made level 2 less easy to drag on forever, again
    -Improved readability of the U-turn on map 1
    -Improved help menu, which is now "How To Play"
    -Added link to impromptugames.com on the main menu
    -About menu now contains information about us and our previous projects
    -Garage menu changed around a bit
    -Startup and loading videos should scale correctly to all devices now
    -Zombies no longer disappear when you turn around suddenly
    -AND MUCH MUCH MOAR

Totally go give us obscenely positive reviews.

Archer - sorry, missed your post before. It's not really selling at the moment, but so far it's made us about $100 each (there are four of us). Better than a poke in the eye with a glass house, as they say.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Lacabra View Post
    Version 1.2 just came out. The game is also only 99c now. Here's the change log:

-Performance optimisations
    -Added cockpit view option, can be toggled in pause menu
    -More zombies
    -Added fancy specular effects to some objects/snow on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S
    -Light shaft effects are now enabled on the iPhone 4S
    -Improved camera positioning and behaviour
    -Zombie walk animation improved
    -Added Zombie Gibbing
    -Added slow motion effect when you hit zombies while boosting, because it's awesome
    -Fixed issue that was preventing zombies from spawning in some areas, making level 1 sort of goddamned boring
    -Boosting no longer prevents you from turning sharply
    -You can now jump the ravine in level 2 as a shortcut to the next checkpoint if you are badass enough
    -Moved truck's booze keg
    -Added extra jumps to level 3
    -Improved rendering of fonts
    -Made level 2 less easy to drag on forever, again
    -Improved readability of the U-turn on map 1
    -Improved help menu, which is now "How To Play"
    -Added link to impromptugames.com on the main menu
    -About menu now contains information about us and our previous projects
    -Garage menu changed around a bit
    -Startup and loading videos should scale correctly to all devices now
    -Zombies no longer disappear when you turn around suddenly
    -AND MUCH MUCH MOAR

Totally go give us obscenely positive reviews.

Archer - sorry, missed your post before. It's not really selling at the moment, but so far it's made us about $100 each (there are four of us). Better than a poke in the eye with a glass house, as they say.
    All it needs is Game Center (with Achievements of course) and it would be perfect

MSgt. Shooter Person

We're on it

The Sacrifice

how about that post mortem would be interesting like someone else said to know about sales figures and if it did or didnt live up to its expectations.
    this would be a true eye opener for the other indie teams, all looking to get where your at, to know the realitities and challenges.

personally, i am very interested to know - please contact me if youd rather do that privately
    Project Manager
    Critical Point: Incursion Project Site & Studio Site
    CP:I are recruiting: link here
    Check our our Showcase thread here: link here
    Check our our Facebook page here: link here

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool Game! Congrats to you and your team.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The latest update removed the best feature, which was the tilt stearing