MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Help: Fake Transparency for Cloak Mode

Hi,

basically I want to create a material effect like the cloak mode in crysis. I already tried the different transparency options for the material, but none worked out like i would like them to: I can either disable shading completely, or I have to live with the fact that faces are visible, that should not be:

I want it to look like this:

(not an actual screenshot - edited with gimp)

I figured out I need the scenetexture for this, but it only works with transparent materials. What I would do is: First render the scene without the cloaked object, then render the cloaked object with a solid material but textured with the scenetexture to make it seem transparent. Dependant on the percentage of cloaking I would blend between the scenetexture and another solid texture.

The question is: Is this possible? If so, how is it possible?

greetings

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Clown 117

UT3 had a cloaking power up, so it is possible.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks, by searching for UT3 instead of UDK I have found a few pictures/videos about the Nightshade's cloak and about cave crystals that look somewhat like what I want, but no hints whatsoever on how it is done

greetings

Marrow Fiend

first try having a look at the UT3 code which is available on the udn site, if its a material then spend $10 for UT3 and have a look at how they did it
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

MSgt. Shooter Person

It is a material (VH_Nightshade.Materials.M_VH_NightShade_Skin). However there are two counter arguments: first I am not exactly sure if the material actually does what I think it does (all transparent materials from the udk or the ut3 demo do not) and second every online shop I checked so far said it wasn't available in my country so that is a bad omen I will still look it up at the local store tomorrow.

greetings

Redeemer

I think the material has to be switched in the game code to the translucent one.
    FYI, here is what I came up with regarding the cloak material.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

MSgt. Shooter Person

That looks pretty perfect
    Yea I think switching Materials is a necessity. After playing around with the settings it is possible to blend from cloak to almost solid, but not entirely.
    Still I will try to get ut3, seems to be a good idea- and sample-repository.

greetings

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Xendance, what texture are you using for the distortion?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I got it working!

The idea is quite simple actually: Change the Blend to Alpha Composite. Then for a solid appearance set the diffuse to whatever it should be for solid. To have the material appear transparent plug the DestColor into Emissive and use the Distortion. The Cloaking-Effect is done by simply multiplying the two material 'types' with a factor:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

By lowering the opacity parameter over time the cloak activates:

Not a final material, though, but I never thought I get this proof of concept done so quickly. Thanks alot to everyone!

greetings

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Is the blend triggered in code, or does it just happen in a loop during gameplay?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Right now the Cloak is not dynamic. I have created a MaterialInstanceConstant and can set the 'Opacity'-parameter to the desired value. Wether I will use this in a Script or within a Cutscene I can controll the cloak with that parameter. I am doing neither, yet, but I will go for the scripting method eventually.

greetings

MSgt. Shooter Person

Interesting thread.
    Could someone upload the material +textures in an UDK package so I can have a look? I'm not very good with the node editor yet.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Ś Hunter S. Thompson

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here you go:
    http://freetimestudio.net/Cloak.upk
    The textures are from the default content of the UDK, but you can use any diffuse or normal texture you want.
    I also included three sample instances:

greetings
    Last edited by FTC; 09-14-2013 at 03:03 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks a bunch
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Ś Hunter S. Thompson

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN: ShurikenUK

Wow thanks for the knowledge and meterials here, Predator would be proud!

@Niteshade

Which book is that quote from? I've only read F&L in Las Vegas, but it was one of the best books I've ever read, or more, "experienced". Same goes for Clockwork Orange and Trainspotting.
    Last edited by shuriken88; 07-22-2011 at 11:00 PM.
    There is no religion except that of Music. There is no god, except that of your own will to create music.
    -Ancient Texts of Truth

Hi, I know it's a old post, but i couldn't find the package and was trying to reproduce that, the problem is that even if i plug my texture into diffuse for the opaque version. With Alpha_composite i can't get anything fully opaque.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi,

it should work with BLEND_AlphaComposite, because this mode allows using no alpha at all but still have SceneTexture and depth functions available.
    Anyway, I still have the package and reuploaded it:
    http://www.freetimestudio.de/misc/pr.../udk/Cloak.upk

However a fully opaque AlphaComposite still has no shadow and a very poor shading. You should create a Solid material that looks very familiar to the opaque cloak and switch materials when the cloak is activated or deactivated via script.

greetings

Thanks FTC! Will check it out, yes i was thinking about switching anyway, but the opaque with alphaComposite was transparent, and I got no idea why. Will try it now, thank you.

Ok I found out something really odd. Your shaders is transparent on my mesh too. So i tried it on another mesh and it works. Even the shader I had before works too. My question is, what could cause a mesh to be transparent and another not while they share the same shader?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Does your mesh have any vertex colors? It might have to do something with that, however the shader does not use Vertex Colors, so it should not affect the transparency.
    Then again I am hardly a professional at shaders.

greetings

MSgt. Shooter Person

Does someone have the sample package available? I want to look at it and share it with my team for learning purpose on this

Thanks,

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Keltar3007

Look for radioactive infestation on google code...it should help/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks, I found the code & the upk.
    I need to test it and look into it but I have a starting point

MSgt. Shooter Person

In case someone is too lazy to google for the link to the sample, it is: https://code.google.com/p/radioactiv...downloads/list