• Prompt B

3 60.00%
  • Prompt C

2 40.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sgt Grub

Default (Updated-OP FULLY UPDATED) Idea: Monthly Writing Prompt.

OP REVAMP:

Alright, here's the deal. I seem to have enough supposrt to at least try this, and I hope it lasts.

The idea: A monthly Writing prompt. Basically, Cros and myself determine a prompt for the coming month. I will make a thread that will serve as the home thread for the whole idea once we've settled everything.

The basics include; A prompt will be posted up every month(in the same thread, updated). If you're interested, you have that month to post your entry in said thread. I will compile three judges who will discuss the entries amongst themselves, and tell me the winner. I will then update the thread again with the winner and his/her piece, along with the next month's prompt. Simple, right?

There will be different judges each month. If you are a judge, you can't submit an entry, to prevent any kind of bias. Judges are volunteers, so I inquire any one who's interested to tell me.

As of right now, we are still in the beta stage of this project. The above poll is to determine the prompt we will start with. Cros and I have come up with three different prompts, each labled A, B, and C. This poll will pick which one we use. Once the poll closes, we will have our prompt!

That is the gist of it.
    Last edited by Sgt. Grub k1ller; 07-06-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Sent from My Keyboard using My Fingers
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Croswynd

Monthly Assignment, I think. Write down a story prompt, get everyone to write a story based on hat prompt, maybe 3-7k words long. Then get three judges to decide which is the best for the month, and have the winner decide the next month's topic?

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zilla Junior

Elaborate, I'm a little lost as to what you mean by "Prompt"

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jay the Arbiter View Post
    Elaborate, I'm a little lost as to what you mean by "Prompt"
    A short story explanation.

Example: Setting, Jacinto slums. Two Gears are patrolling through the alleys, both have opposing views on the Stranded squatters. Write out the ensueing conversation.

That's the basis of a prompt. Though, that's an old idea I ahd a while ago, when Wiz and RaK needed a prompt. :/

@Cros, monthly for longer stories works too. I was originally thinking these could be short stories, in which two weeks would suffice. However, if you and others prefer a longer deadline, I can make it monthly.

I could decide the months prompt through many ways. I could post them, and have people vote. I could make an annon vote, where the winning prompt is posted afterward. Or, I could take suggestions and draw them out a hat.

Or, to make it interesting, I could cycle through each prompt choosing idea.

Also, I don't think there would be a "Winner". Making it a compitition would throw off newer people who are just trying to write something, you know? Plus, it would get boring when the same people win every time. No, I don't think a compitition is a good idea. Just for fun, IMO.
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Crank Fastle

I'm down with that shizzle. I really need to start writing again...

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RaKais View Post
    I'm down with that shizzle. I really need to start writing again...
    I'm going to be mean and ask, you're collab piece? Is the nearly done?

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

It is nearly done but everything I was doing is currently not moving... annoyingly.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: UKnowJack

That may be a good idea for those whom are in hiatus or have been in a deadzone of writers' block...I already have too many writing projects in the works right now, but I would like to read some shorts (and I do mean shorts, prefereably no more than 2K). If we have five or seven people contributing a short each, that's 12 to 14K right there, and that can be tedius to read all of them at once.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Competition is a much better motivator than "just a place to write". People have that already, here. They have their ideas and do little. But if people can compete against one another, there will be a drive, a fire to beat all the others.

But if people around here can't handle that...do what you will.

Legend.....wait for it....dary
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Meh PSN ID: Meh

Weekly is insane.

Monthly or otherwise it'll be too much in too little time. And Project Alpha isn't dead in the water, maybe for the rest of you, but I'm still getting people to at least click into the S&C from the three.
    I'll check in every now and again but for the most part, I won't be as active as I was previously. It really was the Gears + people that got me posting on here in the first place. Unless Epic release an awesome game or something. I'm leaving this message because I'm obviously a very, very important person.

Hope to see a lot of you on the BT Forums! - 11/02/2014 (lol)

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SKORGE View Post
    Weekly is insane.

Monthly or otherwise it'll be too much in too little time. And Project Alpha isn't dead in the water, maybe for the rest of you, but I'm still getting people to at least click into the S&C from the three.
    For a short? A short short? 1000 words short? O_O You really are a procrastinator. I mean, I'm as bad as you when it comes to that, but a week doesn't seem that bad when you're writing something short.

Idk, Cros. The idea of making it a compitition just doesn't sit right with me. Newer writers would see no point in participating when there's no way they can compete with bigshots like yourself and Jonesy. I know this wasn't originally my idea, but the way I saw the idea was as a way for people to overcome writers block, to help newer writers improve, or just people who want to write something for the sake of writing.

Do you see where I'm coming from? I'm trying to keep this like a kind of commitee, so if enough of you want it a compitition, then I can do that, but as of right now, I'd rather it not.
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Grub k1ller View Post
    For a short? A short short? 1000 words short? O_O You really are a procrastinator. I mean, I'm as bad as you when it comes to that, but a week doesn't seem that bad when you're writing something short.
    You are dead wrong, buddy-boy.

Oh it'll be fantastic for the first week or so, but get to week two and you'll have everyone burned out before you can even say "Change my Lancer".
    I'll check in every now and again but for the most part, I won't be as active as I was previously. It really was the Gears + people that got me posting on here in the first place. Unless Epic release an awesome game or something. I'm leaving this message because I'm obviously a very, very important person.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Eh, don't really like the sound of a "Competition"

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tfghost92

I'm up for this. I Excel at short stories

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

I'm up for the competition. Screw it, we should judge the pieces anyway!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rusticangelic

I'd be up for this, but not too sure about the competition side of things, and not too sure about the weekly side of things either, my working week is stressful enough without having to worry about submitting a short and yes, I know, I know I don't have to submit something every week. But I want to be proactive in this forum to keep it alive.
    "I suppose you want me to say I've always loved you. But I don't.... I REALLY REALLY don't!"

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Good luck making this work without competition. I just don't see it doing anything to help anyone. People already have their ideas in their head and they aren't doing much. Like myself, for example.

But if it were writing to try and beat everyone else, I know I'd try my hardest to win. All you people who don't want the competition are just people with low confidence. On another writing forum, there's competitions and they -work-. Even if someone is a mediocre writer going up against others who might be considered "better", they go in trying to win. And sometimes they bloody do, too. Even if you don't win, getting the judges to tell you what you did wrong, what they liked and didn't, helps you do better next time.

As of now, I've seen very few reviewers tell people what they do wrong. Mostly you guys just say what you liked, which is good for confidence, but it just won't help them improve.

But maybe I'm not talking to the right people. Biggest motivator is competition, but if you don't have confidence in yourself going up against Jonsey or RaKais or Boss, you'll never improve anyway. They aren't perfect. They won't win everytime. I've never won a writing competition on my writing forum I mentioned, ever, but I still try to win every month. And I improve.

The leaders change month to month, especially as the judges change month to month, as well. Jonesy might feel like judging, for example, leaving you to deal with only Boss or RaKais.

But, like I said, maybe I'm just talking to the wrong kind of people.
    Last edited by Croswynd; 07-03-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Croswynd View Post
    They aren't perfect.
    Well... Maybe not my writing...

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RaKais View Post
    Well... Maybe not my writing...
    Oh, you. :P

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Fine then. We'll try your idea once this gets started, though I seriously doubt it will work. The forum you speak of(AWR, right?) is filled to the top with nothing but writers. We have a handful of people. Compititions can cause infighting in such a small community, but I digress.

Now then, I have a question for you. What exactely does the winner gain from winning?

EDIT: Also, I can easily make it Bi-monthly, ergo, every two weeks. That way its not too short, but people still have more than enough time to write.
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

The winner gains respect! and ego! and ... and... nothing material!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Like I said before, the winner gains the ability to choose the next month's* topic and bragging rights until displaced next month. Why would competitions cause infighting, I ask? We're all here to have fun writing, and what's more fun than competition?

*Make it monthly. It's better that way. More people will actually enter if they can take their time.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I see nothing wrong in bragging rights and choosing topics if its a competition, this will actually be fun in that case, and plus it does encourage the individual to want to improve from their last piece.
    "I suppose you want me to say I've always loved you. But I don't.... I REALLY REALLY don't!"

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Topics can range from one word prompts like "Light", or you can go in depth like Grub's example stated earlier. The possibilities are really endless.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

In the long run, its only going to make you a better writer, with people actually critiquing your work.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Exactly! I think this could be grand!

Gamer IDs

So what is it? Every month or every week?

Also, I will beat you all because I'm the best.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Make it monthly, Grub. You can create the thread or leave it to me. Either way. It is the beginning of a new month, after all. Why not start now?

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Every month I think would be best, gives you more time to come up with a decent piece rather than rushed drivel

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quick Question: Who would be willing to judge the entries? Cros has volunteered to judge the first month's entries, and we need two more. Any volunteers, or am I gonna have to resort to throwing a dart at a board of names, and forcibly making you judge?
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Gamer IDs

You couldn't make me a judge if you had Rob's children tied to a pole suspended over a tank of sharks!

... with that said, I nominate Rob.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Sooooo, you're participating? Lol. If you submit an entry, you can't be a judge, by the way.
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Gamer IDs

What?

Participating in what, being a judge or the contest?

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

The f*cking prompt thing! Y U so slobro?
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Gamer IDs

Why wouldn't I be participating?

BUT Y U MAD THOUGH?

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

What the helll is going on?????
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Gamer IDs

You really are endangered aren't you?

You need two more judges for this here contest which is going to be monthly, I assume.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Yes, exactly. Now the stipulation is if you write an entry, you can't judge.
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

For this month, anyway. Next month, you're free to write but not judge if you judge this time. Or you can judge again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast