MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Blender - Actorx

I have made a human male with walk cycle animation.

I am using Blender 2.57.1 and now wish to export the model, rig and animation into UDK.

I have searched on the forum, from that I have gathered that actorx is not available for Blender.

I have read that you can export using FBX, I tried that and it did not work.

I tried ASE, that did not work.

Can someone point me to a video or link where I can read more detailed information on how to do this?

Thank you in advance.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you look in the "addons" section of blender > user preferences. There is an addon by the name of PSK/PSA exporter for Unreal. Check version 2.2. it will let you export your skeletal mesh for UDK.

UDK currently, doesn't support blender natively. let's hope, this changes in future.

ASE is for static meshes only. not for skeletal mesh.

You can find info on PSK/PSA Here

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the info.

Is there a video or tutorial or documentation on how to use this PSK/PSA tool?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I took a look at the documentation from the link, it talks about check boxes, but there is not any.

I watched the first video, but the sound quality was poor and could not understand it.

I will check the rest of those links out, if anyone knows of any other video links, tutorials or documentation links, I would grateful.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I tried the most simple tutorial on that page, I can not get it to work.

I get an error when exporting. But no error appears in the info box.

Any ideas?

MSgt. Shooter Person

ok, first things first.
    1)You can use only one armature for your skeletal - mesh.
    2)All bones should be copied or extruded form the first bone of the mesh (usually called root bone and used as the parent of every other bone)
    3)All support bones (IK, FK, control bone etc) should not deform the mesh (uncheck deform option)
    4)before making animation or anything else. properly skin your mesh to the bones.
    5)apply location/rotation/scale for both mesh & armature
    6) Animate
    7) export via export, one animation at a time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for all your help so far.

After watching another video that I found, I was missing another addon, it is found in the addon section. import/export for PSK. It brings up UDK tools. When you press 'T'.

It also has a console there, so I can now see error messages as to why the export fails.

I get the following error message:

Checking Armature Condtions(s):
    - One Armature Scene
    Error, Mesh Object not center. Vector <<loads of numbers here>>
    Error, Armature Object not center. Vector <<loads of numbers here>>
    Export Fail!

MSgt. Shooter Person

you need to apply step no 5 for both mesh & armature

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Aha, that fixed it.

Wow, what a saga. The tale will be told in the halls of greatness, of a Hero with Blender skills swooping down and picking up his brother in time of need.

Many thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I get the following error message if i try to export a simple mesh with armature and animation:

Exception during Armature Parse
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.58\scripts\addons\io_expor
    t_unreal_psk_psa.py", line 1900, in execute
    write_data(self.filepath, context)
    t_unreal_psk_psa.py", line 1754, in write_data
    fs_callback(path, context)
    t_unreal_psk_psa.py", line 1692, in fs_callback
    parse_armature(blender_armature, psk, psa)
    t_unreal_psk_psa.py", line 1080, in parse_armature
    raise RuntimeError("There too many Main bones. Number main bones:",mainbonec
    ount)
    RuntimeError: ('There too many Main bones. Number main bones:', 3)

Dose anyboy have an idear how to avoid this error?

MSgt. Shooter Person

It looks like you have more than one main bone. This happened to me when I was building a rig. I was building a rig for a human male. Started at the base of the spine and went up. Then came back down and began working on legs.

Remember, all copies of the armature then to be copies of the first bone that you made. This is sometimes named the 'root' bone. (Important, do this in edit mode only.)

So if you need to do this kind of thing, like above. Try clicking on the root bone, shift D, move the bone into position and then parent it to chain where needed.

MSgt. Shooter Person

2 of the bones in your mesh are not parented. they must be parented some bone or directly to the rootbone.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you. I have used e for extruding. is extruding not supported? arent extruded bones automaticly parented?

MSgt. Shooter Person

extrusion is ok, and they are parented. but the script says that 2 of the bones are not parented, search and parent them. your problem will be solved.
    Before exporting or animating. In armature edit mode, set your bone roll to x , y or z (depends on your armature), so that all of your armature bones work fine.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you the export worked with a test file. But now i have a real character file which was changed and moved in Object mode sometime during the creation process, fore sure, but I can't say how much and what was moved, scaled ore rotated. Since i have heard that one shouldn't move things in object mode, I would like to know why; and if there is a way to export things which are moved in objet mode.? Would something like the "reset x forms" command from 3ds max help? How could this feature be called in blender?

MSgt. Shooter Person

try to clear location, rotaion & scale of your armature in object mode, and try to export.

for animations, just select the scenes, where you have added the poses, select all your bones and rewrite the animations.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you again what do you mean with rewrite animation?

MSgt. Shooter Person

since your bones were previously disturbed, it is possible their location and rotation is changed in current animation. so just to make sure, select all bones and add the rotation/location again in animation (Hot key I).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok, so I used what I learn from this thread. The first file, was one from the tutorial video. Ie- 3 cubes with bones.

I applied what I learn to my Male Human character, re-rigged, re-skinned and exported with no issues from Blender.

But when I try to import the asset into UDK. UDK crashes each time.

I have the June version, any ideas?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'll upload the files for your viewing pleasure , when i reach home. 2 of them are made as explained in videos, 1 is made by me & 1 is provided by epic/or some one working for epic. (can be used with existing animations of udk).
    Also, take note that PKS/PSA script 2.2 is different then 2.3

Here is the link to files.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0buhobok7eirm4a
    Last edited by dukejib; 07-04-2011 at 09:09 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Are you saying it is an issue with 2.3 script?

MSgt. Shooter Person

nope, it just works differently with IK support.

MSgt. Shooter Person

But I did not do any IK in my model, just standard FK.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I haven't used 2.3 script much, but it is bit differently implemented then 2.2. I am not sure, what type of problem you are having, but if you upload ur file, i'll take a look.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you for the Sample Files. Could you point out how to setup the human file in udk? A HInt on how to make an animtree for this mesh would be nice.

MSgt. Shooter Person

export the human.blend , using psk/psa exporter. It will generate 2 files. Human.psa (Animation) & Human.Psk (Skeletal Mesh). import the files in udk. double click the skeletal mesh, go to anim set, select the human animation ( or whatever name you have given) , it will work.
    ==============================
    UDK User
    Blender User
    Gimp User
    ==============================

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you very much i have managed to get it working wit a mobile pawn Next i will try my own mesh. @ dukejib nice website. I hope to see more on UDK
    Last edited by R2D5; 07-17-2011 at 07:10 AM.