Thread: DM-Untamed

Default DM-Untamed

Name: DM-Untamed
    Version: Beta 2
    Compatibility: UT3
    Description: Once a shining symbol of hope and prosperity, war and poverty have taken its toll on this forgotten planet. The government started up a gladiatorial league to deal with captured rebels to placate the masses, but not all are content with the highly regulated league. In long abandoned complexes like this underground battles are waged. There are no rules, there is no mercy. Welcome to the Untamed.
    Comments: I think the map is pretty well finished but I wanted to get a few opinions on it before I call it final. Its a small deathmatch arena for between 2 and 4 players.
    Update - Redid all the lighting per the comments beneath. The screens beneath show the new look. Added note, Im pretty sure I forgot to turn down the volume on all of my water sound effects so if anyone tries to play it they may find that's a little too loud. I'll fix that for the next update or the full release.
    Screenshot:

Homepage: http://www.danielatkinson.ca
    Download: http://www.danielatkinson.ca/maps/untamedb2.rar
    Last edited by Maniacbob; 06-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Skaarj

From the screenshots, I'm really feeling an atmosphere that UT2k4 gave. Downloading shortly.

Iron Guard

Also from the screenshots, meshing looks very good but the lighting feels like you only have 1 skylight with 1.0 brightness and a white color, makes everything look bland and boring.

Iron Guard

I would remade lighting. Add more depth with it. Check how Idoma/Rankin in UT2k4 are made. Open editor and see how many lightbulb icons are there (well... part of them are flares, but they have squished icons.). Most of lightsources have 3 light actors. Two small and intense (one close to source and second close to floor under it. Radius beetwen 128-256) And one bigger with pretty large radius but not that intense. In UT3 instead placing point light on floor you can use spot lights (but it's not big difference. If spot light would have too big cone, then probably using point light is better for performance reason)

Also play with tinting some lights. Very often artist use 2 colors of opposite tint (most times it is cold and warm color, but you can also use contrast on saturation level (like desaturated green and highly saturated orange [but it can't be oversaturated. Then it look bad. Dont use colors like R:255G:200B:0 but rather R:240G:200B:100, so it is desaturated a little and rather bright.] for example)

In your case i would use one desaturated color with very little tint(because i like how lighting look on second and last screen) and one or two highly saturated (When i see 3rd screen i just want to add big orange light there myself )

And i would also add some post processing (but not too strong). When i'm playing with PP i set highlights a little under 1.0 and midtones a little above 1.0)

All feedback based on screenshots so i haven't checked how it look from inside.

If you update map using this feedback and want some more, give me info, because i probably won't get there anytime soon .

After posting it here I was looking around and sorta was coming to the same conclusion and this just cemented it. I redid all the lighting, trying to add a little more colour to all of my lighting. I think it looks a lot better now. Let me know what you think.

Iron Guard

I think it's a lot better now(i don't have old screens to compare. Have you played with post processing yet?

And one question. Is download link for current version? I'll probably download it, change some things and explain them to you. And using that ocasion i will check gameplay of it.

For reference the old screens

Yeah there is post processing in there. Its not particularly strong but it is there, you can definitely see it when comparing to the map without it. The link above is the current version.

Iron Guard

Looks much better, although the bright red light source doesn't seem to light up it's surrioundings

The screens dont show it very well but its hanging inside the tunnel so it only lights up the tunnel itself and just outside the mouth, but you are likely right that it could be a little stronger. I'll play with it.

Iron Guard

imo desaturation should be a little bit toned down, red lights should have increased brightness and those steel bars shouldn't be destructible, but allow to walk through hole inside them (i spent much time before i managed that i can destroy them. Actually i made it accidentally)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Final version incoming? Just in time for Christmas maybe?
    Last edited by lowenz; 12-21-2011 at 04:45 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Up for this baby too!

Redeemer

Question

Same with this one...........any recent links that work?

It is a small map with nice flow.
    - graphics are good etc.

- only 2 problems
    - 1 - water could be improved

- 2 - this blocking is nasty

Good Stuff

The Sacrifice

What is your skin?

Redeemer

Cool final version

I like the rundown feeling in this one with broken bricks, broken glass, exposed rebar/metal and running water in places it shouldn't. I liked the skybox, gameplay and better lighting. Even though the water looks good in some places and slightly off in others, I thought the water could be a little better. To further the flow in this one, we really should be allowed to get through the broken bars near the bottom in that screenshot above. I did like the job on weapon/item placement though.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh, the final!

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Smile Great map (final version).

Great lighting, skybox, visuals and flow. Like the waterfall and engine sounds. The water gets a little attention more than ever. The broken bars has blocked for players/bots (as the screenie mentioned above) but literally it is a physics volume, you can just fire it and the broken bars will exploded for life. Better gameplay and the bots are decent.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: KurlonT

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

His homepage is vanished, backup this map (for PC) to the two sites I uploaded:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/121794008/U...DM-Untamed.rar
    http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...DM-Untamed.rar