Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prisoner 849

Exclamation Request to Epic Games!

This is a thread that I'd hope that the right person at Epic will see and maybe get them thinking it's a plausable idea!
    I know this has been mentioned before but one can only try...

I keep seeing the great UDK work that's comming out of the UDK section on the forums here and I get rather quite jealous of the visuals for UDK compared to UT3's older version of the engine!

Therefore I'd like to ask Epic if they'd consider porting UT3 to the UDK engine for the PC!
    I don't ask for the maps to be improved/modified in any way. Just a straight port across with just a recook of all the maps so we'll get some instant benefits with lighting etc...

I'm still a huge fan of UT3, as well as many others, and I really really..really really.. enjoy mapping in UE3. I've been mapping now for a few years and have seen many superb creations come out from the community and I can only imagine what the mappers at UoF, and other mappers, could come up with if we could map for UT3 in UDK with access to all the additional benefits of UDK like the lighting system but also access to the UT3 assets to create some of the most beautiful UT3 maps to date!

It might even breath new life back into the game and get us dedicated UT3 mappers/modders moving forward into UDK which could lead some of us into some of the UDK projects out there and eventually the gaming industry having experience in the latest tools being used out there!

I'd also be happy buying a UDK version of UT3(via steam) if this was done! I'm sure others would as well if it's at the right price!

So that's my request, to Epic, on behalf of all the dedicated UT3 mappers and players out there!

Please respond to show your support and who knows...maybe the right person will see this and consider it!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

Boomshot

oh yeah...theses UDK features could be a titanic improvement to the ED
    nice & fair "request" my friend, i think u express what a majority is thinking/hoping here
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

Amen to this idea. I think UT 3 is the best in the series. Having UT 3 + the newest engine features would be awesome.

UT2004 was an improvement over UT 2003, why can't the same be done for the UT 3?

Thumbs up

+1
    Maybe they'll do some patch that will update the game engine to version 3.5. That would be much cheaper than making a new game.
    Last edited by FoXtrot777; 06-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Boomshot

Epic have stated multiple times this won't happen.

Prisoner 849

Thanx for the grim reality of it all Cr4zy!
    Maybe some more nudging from us mappers might soften some hearts over in the Epic offices!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

God King

PLEASE, EPIC! DO IT!

But then again I see a problem:
    The latest UDK build has no subtractive maps - my Vortex Rikers map for example is one of them. So we won't be able to play all those subtractive maps anymore, we'll need an older version!
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

request to epic games:

delete the hundred thousand posts requesting the same thing.
    yawn [especially the udk stuff from ut3 forum- its pointless]
    - get on UT3 even crappy PC'S nowadays are really good for pushing UT3 to its extreme [o/c etc]:

i learn new stuff at least once a week and i have had the game for like 4 years- the better my PC gets- the better UT3 looks + performs

Prisoner 849

I agree it looks better on newer hardware but the lighting is nowhere near as good as UDK's lighting, especially the shadows! Then you have the additional capabilities of UDK that us UT3 mappers could start using!

It took me 1 hour(+ cooking time) to get my Babylon map running in UDK with the UT3 assets referenced by the map. I'll admit I only had the 3 weapons that were available in UDK at the time but it was working fine, with bot support.

At a guess I'd expect that it'd take a skilled person about a month(maybe 2) to port UT3 across and it seems a shame that Epic won't consider doing this! Especially if they released it at the current price of UT3 which would probably attract players/modders, like myself, to lay down more cash on a UDK version of it.
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

how did you port to UDK:

*did you use Gildor's exporter?
    *or just import to UDK as normal and re-apply all your textures etc?

i am curious

Prisoner 849

ahh ummm I'll PM ya as I might get into trouble posting it in a public forum!
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

God King

Yep, the update from UT2003 to UT2004 worth every penny I paid for.

There is no reason it can't be done from UT3 to UDK. The only thing missing in UDK are the stock assets & few minors things.

I guess Epic isn't interested to put time on their best ingame editor to date because they put all their time in GOW3. Shame because UT3 is dying, they don't realize that without the PC community, no matter how good the game is, it doesn't live eternally.

Without a community, all game dies, that's reality & if they want this game to live & keep the interest for the next UT, we, the community need an up-to-date editor so we can build maps & such.

I'm 200% with you LPS, it is quite legitimate to ask & demonstrate that all those who put their personal time to build something for this game worth something.

Prisoner 849

GOW3 would definately be the main priority on Epics schedule atm!
    But who knows, if we show enough support and want maybe after GOW3's release n cool down maybe they can grab a coule of their staff to make this possible? I'd suggest maybe letting the community do this but I'm already aware that this is infringing on Epic's IP!

I ask anyone who reads this thread....reply and say if you would like to see UT3 ported to UDK and would you pay the current UT3 price ($20us on steam) to buy a UDK version of UT3?

I also ask that there's no more defeatist "this will never happen comments". We all already know this and that type of attitude will never get this request anywhere. Everything is possible and maybe there's a slim chance if enough support is shown to breath new life into this 'dying' game.
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

God King

I would pay!! For sure! As stevelois already stated, UT2003->2004 (with little engine changes if I recall correctly) was also worth it! Even if just a simple port to UDK's UE3 build, the community could do the rest and expand the game with their own content and bonus packs!
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Sure i will do it. I think everybody will do it. And put the stuff inside what we miss from UT2004 and the community will grow up!
    PHOENIX UT3 SERVER 1 BTA: ut3://195.245.9.170:6666
    PHOENIX HOMEPAGE: http://www.phoenix-4ever.de
    PHOENIX IN IRC: #[PHX]

MSgt. Shooter Person

That would be indeed a good thing to happen, however considering that almost 4 years passed since ut3 release, i am not very optimistic.

Higher chances are that they will release a new UT4, because Unreal series were the staples of the engine technology demonstration

MSgt. Shooter Person

TBH, I'd prefer if they let the community handle the process. Epic can no longer make money out of UT3 nor it's assets, and currently UT3 is a demo of an outdated engine.
    The community could create a better netcode, better UI and menu, fix some bugs in gameplay and animations and fix some map issues. The updated game could be released as freeware.

Afterwards, Epic could shut down their servers, which are currently just a waste of money for them, and the community would have to manage the servers themselves.

This way, Epic would have the UT community happy and a game that would serve as a rival to Quake Live and a demo to UDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by bombachu View Post
    I uninstalled ut3 and deleted steam.

The ut3 community is wonderful. I sincerely love you all. Even Endo and JD.

Just need to refocus some ideas.

Iron Guard

Well... For DM gametype we only need to transfer weapon models and scripts and pickups models and scripts.

I would try to do it, but porting UT3 on UDK is probably banned by Epic :P

@HugoMarques

Well when it comes to rivalising with QL i would prefer browser version of UT'99 with a bit updated visuals.

God King

Hey, LPS, maybe you should upload/include the pictures again? Seems like they are gone (probably due to the data loss from some weeks ago). The pictures were a good "advertisement".

Even if the chances for such a "port" are not that big, don't let this thread die!

S l y .

Prisoner 849

As requested!
    My Babylon map in UDK(gotta love the shadows):

My Fluxion map in UDK:

Took about an hours work plus cooking time!
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

Prisoner 849

Looks nice in UDK LPS but it seems all is lost.

Support has stopped.
    Intel Quad Core i7 860 2.80-3.20Ghz, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, 8GB 1333 DDR3 Zeppelin Ram, Navida GTX 460 1GB, Windows 7 64.

Deinonychus the Raptor

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Zerglings View Post
    Looks nice in UDK LPS but it seems all is lost.
    Indeed, it look way better

Support has stopped.
    Really a shame.......................

There is 3 type of peoples in this forum ;

The first type that give 1 star on almost everything without saying anything which I consider to be the cream of the cream morons you can find on a public forum.

The second type that read the posts, download all the stuff but are to lazy to take 5 secs of their precious time to post something in return. Simply lame, lazy & quite of a egoist crappy me-myself-&-I attitude.

The third type are the peoples who are devoted to this game making stuff on their free time who get nothing in return & try not to let the game die. The people who make maps, mods, characters, tutorials & so on. Still, since the first 2 above types of people represent most of the members here, why would the type 3 of people would bother continuing making free stuff of their free time ?

The thread as more than 800 reads & only 2x post, quite dull & "I don't care" attitude from a community.

For the few who had post something constructive, positive in this thread & other threads in the UT3 forum, you will recognize yourself, I say THX, all the time I spend for this game is devoted to you.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I would definitely be willing to pay for an engine update to UT3. The game is still bad ass and if we could build UT3 maps with all the UDK goodies... Oh man...

Prisoner 849

Thanx for responding M8!
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

MSgt. Shooter Person

That second screenshot of your map Babylon looks so awesome.

Porting UT3 over to the UDK and re-releasing it as an updated version would be... GODLIKE!!! I would not mind paying for an official UDK version of UT3. And I too believe that it would bring a spark of vitality back into the game and definitely bring in more modders, players, etc. The visuals are truly impressive in the UDK. Epic's complete focus would be needed only in the visual department for all the maps and other assets of the game. (A few fixes for some of the more major and gameplay-breaking bugs and exploits would only make it that much better though. )

Considering how UT4 is a LONG way away, I don't see how this would be a "waste of time". Everyone in our small yet dedicated community can only benefit from this.

God King

Not only the community would benefit from it but also Epic Games themselves.
    Sure, our playerbase is small but it will get smaller if nothing will be done. Rereleasing UT3 with some small but important fixes would bring back some players. It's like a patch, just that it updates the whole game, just like UT2003->UT2004 and people would pay for it. At least I would...

Someday, UT will be forgotten. 97% of the people I know have never heard of UT until I told them about it.
    Time to do something!
    Last edited by Sly.; 07-14-2011 at 11:43 AM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think it's better and easer to update UT2004 to UE2.5/2X.
    Omg Sly most of my classmates are playing UT since they heard about it from me.

God King

better and easer to update UT2004 to UE2.5/2X
    There is a difference between Unreal Engine 2.5 and 2.X. The 2.X engine version is what you can see in Unreal Championship 2, it's an optimized and improved Unreal Engine 2.5 (with neat effects that you can see in UT3 as well). UT2004 is already Unreal Engine 2.5, UT2003 was Unreal Engine 2. That's why I made this comparison, it would stay just like UT2003->2004 in the same engine generation and would be basically the same tactics. How many people bought UT2004 after playing UT2003 and hearing of UT2004 which was a fixed and improved UT2003? Enough to have players up to these days. UT3 on the other hand has a much smaller community after just 4 years, which makes LPS' idea come in handy imo.

Omg Sly most of my classmates are playing UT since they heard about it from me.
    Wow, you are really lucky... I could just convince one person to play it, most are on a COD-trip/"modern day war simulation shooters where you just camp in a corner and wait"-trip and prefer it over UT without even really trying...

S l y .

@ stevelois -
    epic words, you would make a good spokesperson.
    - please continue to make stuff and respond to people.

@ sly
    - have you tried just signing in to COD and destroying everyone,

- i find that the type 3 person stevelois refers to, is also characterisable by there innate ability to "read" a game.
    - to see more than others do, be it in graphics and visuals, or gameplay and tactics.

- i find it hilarious to sign in to Whack ops for the first time and in less than 2 hours i figure out the spawning and spawn points, the levels and layout and how to pwn easily.

- i also notice everyone who has been good at UT3 is also damn good at COD - i assume for the same reasons.
    && everyone who is an xbox and halo fan [good stuff]- they also seem very good at whack ops
    i also note that black ops is already a ghost town, and as speculated... it is all marketing

- i find it impossible to convince players to play UT3 when the only available servers host maps that are 10 years old

^^ it seems to be easier to get people into Deathmatch on organised LAN parties <<lol geeks and gamers getting baked
    - but as for online .....dead

- note halo for xbox seems a nice place to reside; as well as make simple maps

@LPS
    - fluxion pic looks really cool and colourful
    Last edited by TKBS; 08-25-2011 at 01:49 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

@Sly: what the version of engine used in Pariah?I meant this version.
    What they found good in COD or CS? They would answer: it's realistic. For me, "realistic game" means an another ****ing, boring and annoying world, that I can see every morning when I open my eyes. Even GoW is better, but a bit boring too.

God King

Net Lizzard, you just spoke true words.
    If I want to see modern warfare, I turn on the TV and look at all the wars shown in the news... e.g. Gaddafi vs. rebels and NATO, basically the new CoD games in a nutshell just with slightly different story.

@TKBS: I spent my money on COD1 and 2 and I enjoyed these games.
    Later my friends showed me the newer titles, I was really angry how they dumbed down the series, I wasn't even too happy about the changes in COD2 with the regeneration sh.., but it was still enjoyable and the atmosphere was great (was just a bit short compared to COD1). The new titles are just cr@p, nothing more. I won't spend my money on that, it's just not worth it. If I would know that I would enjoy these games, ok, but that's not the case. No reason to waste money just to be called a cheater only because you're better. However, I can understand your way of thinking. If people accuse others of cheating, they leave the server. Now if all UT players would play COD and would pwn the h3ll out of the COD fanboys, the game would be dead after a short while.

@stevelois: Sorry, I didn't see your post, was written quite a while ago already. Well, I can only say one thing:
    +1!
    Completely share your thoughts!

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Since we are talking about UT players being good at COD, a while ago my friends convinced me to play a little COD4 LAN. We were 4, but soon we realized that even if the 3 of them were in the same team against me alone, I would still pwn their @sses off. It's ridiculous how the standards of good COD players are so low compared to UT players, thanks to their chronic camping disease.

I somehow like the cinematic experience of the single-player campaigns of those games, but the multi-player is utter cr@p.

EDIT: Since Epic is working on 5 smaller titles with PC as primary platform, imagine if one of those was UT3.5. It doesn't take that big a team to convert a game to the newest engine build and fix all bugs, and still make some extra maps. One can wonder...
    Last edited by HugoMarques; 08-26-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bombachu View Post
    I uninstalled ut3 and deleted steam.

The ut3 community is wonderful. I sincerely love you all. Even Endo and JD.

Just need to refocus some ideas.

God King

Yeah, and they should definitely fix the floating objects in Downtown! lol
    Never noticed that before, but in Downtown, busstations have no supports that hold them (floating roofs), lights float in midair in buildings and various other things - with all details turned on!

And I would sooo like to see a proper Facing Worlds, an asteroid that causes motion sickness for those that are not used to it and imagine this with all the fancy effects!

While they would be at it they should totally reduce bloom. I'm not interested in having doubts if I can still see right while playing UT (e.g. in the "pseudo-Face" map, no asteroid, no Facing Worlds to me), I want to see everything as clearly as I can in real life (and the bloom and dof is definitely overdone!). Bulletstorm had it just about right, I'm sure they can do that in a UT3.5 too.

Oh well, I'm pretty demanding... Guess I should give them something to motivate them for these changes - preorder for 80 bucks?

S l y .

God King

Those who really like UT3 should post in this thread and show their support... UT3 in better quality and (probably) with more players, imagine this. It worked with UT2003->UT2004.

This thread is almost dead after just 4 sites. Where is the community that is left and still plays this game?

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm all for this idea!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I never will abandon and to playing UT series I love each game with their strongs features and flaws no one game is perfect

Long live UT !

Pd: I play bullestorm too overall games in Epic is kinda original in some way

MSgt. Shooter Person

Actually, my honest opinion is the following: There have been soo many threads like this that by now without results, I'm pretty sure Epic won't do a thing at this point. Very sad but true.

Our best bet as far as I'm concerned is the following: Try and get the talents within our community (ut,2k4 and ut3) to come together for an original, heavily unreal tournament inspired, game in UDK. It doesn't have to be some huge game release, but if the core (game movement, polish, code) is solid, the community can keep it alive forever with custom content. I'm thinking The Dark Mod.

While I have no useful talents to speak of (besides fragging your faces ;P), our UT community has some serious skill. If the interrest is really there, I don't see why this can't happen. We have all the tools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast