Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eurpapi

Default How to RESET Your Rank and How to AVOID Resetting Your Rank COMPLETE LIST (Updated)

With the prelaunch XP events long gone the road to 100 is a long grind. I know there are a lot of you eager to get your wings and don't want them reset back to 1 or you want to earn them for a second or third time (like myself). These methods are similar to what happens in Gears 3 and why people have their ranks reset so it will help in both games. Please post up any additional ways you know of to get your rank reset so other people can benefit from your knowledge, I'll repost them into the OP. Some people want to avoid it and others want to reset their rank so hopefully we can all benefit from this. Items listed in "To Avoid Getting Your Rank Reset" section do not cause a rank reset 100% of the time so you might get lucky and avoid getting your rank reset by sheer luck. Finally, if you choose to reset your rank you will still get credit for your highest rank when you go to Gears 3. So that "Member of the Old Guard" medal will still be yours even if you don't make it back to 100.

To Reset Rank:
    This is the easiest and most reliable way I know of to reset your rank. First you must delete your cache so that all updates from XBOX Live will be removed. Enter the "System Settings" menu at the Xbox 360 Dashboard, and select the "Memory" option. Highlight the hard drive, then press Y for device options. Select "Clear System Cache" and continue to play Gears 2. When the notification pops up to receive an update, deny it and play a local game of horde. After playing a round quit the game and return to main menu. Restart gears 2 and accept the update and you should be reset to rank 1.

To Avoid Getting your Rank Reset:
    1) If you take your profile with you on a memory card DO NOT play on an XBOX that does not have any updates. (My first rank reset experience)
    2) DO NOT sign into or out of your account when "UPDATING Network Settings are Being Updated" is displayed in the lower right corner. This happens when you first load up the game, enter a lobby, or finish a match.
    3) Make sure to accept and complete all updates when they pop up, if they get interrupted then go back to the dashboard so that you can restart the entire process. If you're not sure if the update went through DO NOT go to the multiplayer lobby to check, instead hit the guide button to check if you are connected to XBOX Live. If you're not connected then the update didn't go through, if you are connected then the update installed without a problem.
    4) If there are glitchers on your team do not participate in it or assist them because if you get recorded and reported you may have your rank reset and/or banned from Gears 2 and/or XBOX Live.
    5) If you happen to be in a glitched match where people get millions of points for a kill, do not kill anyone and just try to avoid getting killed yourself if you do not like to quit matches because of the penalties. (My friend got reset for playing in matches like this, went from about 35 to 100 in 2 days without XP event or the standard 2x, I joined a few of these matches but didn't get any kills in them so I avoided it. I don't think they still occur but they could pop back up.)
    6) General rule, if things look fishy and you suspect some sort of tampering going on then simply quit the game before you get associated with it.
    7) Do not Dashboard or turn off your XBOX between rounds of ranked, public, social, or even horde matches.
    8) Take the extra second to be safe and sign in at the appropriate times, finish all your matches, and return to the main menu when you are finished playing.

To Recover Your Rank: (Updated)
    If you happen to get your rank reset and didn't want it to be reset your best shot at recovering your rank is to delete your profile and then recover your gamertag. If your XBOX does not autosign you in, then the best thing for you to do is to turn off your XBOX and then delete your profile without signing into it when you turn on your XBOX. If your XBOX autosigns you in then you may want to remove that setting and turn off that setting. If you played a match with your new rank you will not be able to recover your old rank. It's a terrible feeling to see that level 1 but you can cross your fingers this works for you. Good luck earning back your rank before the release of Gears 3! If you don't make it make sure and come back on holidays such as Halloween.
    Last edited by Eurpapi; 10-16-2011 at 09:35 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: finRatman X3

Will this reset the achievement progresses?
    My english sucks...

Bring Back Clock Tower

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: weeeeitsme

Have been wanting to reset my rank for a while now, but have been putting it off because im worried about my war journal being reset, with everything being in there, im not really wanting to lose all of that, does the way in this just reset the rank and leave the war journal intact?
    Gnasher #69
    Hammerburst
    Boltok
    Smoke

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by finRatman View Post
    No it will not reset your achievement progress. But some achievements have multiple parameters for example, like reach a certain level and complete horde waves 1-30. You need to have the appropriate level to unlock the achievement, but as far as kills you should be fine unless you actually got banned or reset by Epic.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by weeeeitsme View Post
    Have been wanting to reset my rank for a while now, but have been putting it off because im worried about my war journal being reset, with everything being in there, im not really wanting to lose all of that, does the way in this just reset the rank and leave the war journal intact?
    The war journal may get messed up in terms of achievements already completed but those in progress will not be messed with. I reset my rank and am still working on my seriously 2.0 achievement without any problems or having to restart from 0 kills.

So this is what happened when I went to play the beta. I guess because there was a late start at getting all the week 2 people in the game on time, we were told to reset our cache on our consoles. When I did this I was able to get into the beta no problem. Be that as it may, I went on vacation for 3 weeks and when I came back my Gears rank was set to 1. Because I had to reset my cache BEFORE playing the beta, does this mean my wings will no longer be recognized in the new game?

As soon as I read the whole reset your cache from the OP, I KNEW that was what happened. I honestly didn't want my rank reset, but unfortunately had to just to get into the beta. Is there any way to reverse this?

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 40packin View Post
    So this is what happened when I went to play the beta. I guess because there was a late start at getting all the week 2 people in the game on time, we were told to reset our cache on our consoles. When I did this I was able to get into the beta no problem. Be that as it may, I went on vacation for 3 weeks and when I came back my Gears rank was set to 1. Because I had to reset my cache BEFORE playing the beta, does this mean my wings will no longer be recognized in the new game?

As soon as I read the whole reset your cache from the OP, I KNEW that was what happened. I honestly didn't want my rank reset, but unfortunately had to just to get into the beta. Is there any way to reverse this?
    Unfortunately there is no 100% for sure way to get your rank back, some people say to turn off and on your XBOX or recover your gamertag on another console so that it will hopefully pull up your old stats. What happens to most people is that once you play a match as a level 1 you will be stuck with that rank. As far as Gears 3 goes, you will stall have your recognition since it comes from your achievements and not necessarily from your stats. I tried contacting both Epic and Microsoft when I first got my rank reset and nobody wanted to fix the problem or give me my old rank back, they kinda just said tough luck and try to earn it back with an XP event.

edit: considering that this was an issue caused by Epic telling people to delete their cache, they may be more understanding and give you a new rank by estimating what your rank might have been based on time played and matches played.
    Last edited by Eurpapi; 05-30-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurpapi View Post
    Unfortunately there is no 100% for sure way to get your rank back, some people say to turn off and on your XBOX or recover your gamertag on another console so that it will hopefully pull up your old stats. What happens to most people is that once you play a match as a level 1 you will be stuck with that rank. As far as Gears 3 goes, you will stall have your recognition since it comes from your achievements and not necessarily from your stats. I tried contacting both Epic and Microsoft when I first got my rank reset and nobody wanted to fix the problem or give me my old rank back, they kinda just said tough luck and try to earn it back with an XP event.

edit: considering that this was an issue caused by Epic telling people to delete their cache, they may be more understanding and estimate what your rank might have been based on time played and matches played.
    Thanks for your reply man, it is appreciated. That's a damn shame. I got my wings playing primarily execution all the time, and it took a hell of a long time. Oh well Gears 3 is going to be released in a few months, and truth be told, after playing 3, 2 just sucks ass to me at this point. We're still getting glitchy matches, garbage connections and everything else that people hate about it. I can wait until September I guess before shooting people in the face with shotguns again.
    No man is so foolish that he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 40packin View Post
    Thanks for your reply man, it is appreciated. That's a damn shame. I got my wings playing primarily execution all the time, and it took a hell of a long time. Oh well Gears 3 is going to be released in a few months, and truth be told, after playing 3, 2 just sucks ass to me at this point. We're still getting glitchy matches, garbage connections and everything else that people hate about it. I can wait until September I guess before shooting people in the face with shotguns again.
    I do have to agree that 2 just doesn't measure up to the beta but it will have to do for now. XP events and horde mods keep things interesting, just try to find some friends to play with and the game becomes a lot more fun.
    Last edited by Eurpapi; 05-31-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: haloFAN 365

yes it will.
    all horde players unite in supporting this thread...

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...s.-635-Support!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by halofan365 View Post
    yes it will.
    Only your progress towards level based achievements
    Last edited by Eurpapi; 05-31-2011 at 05:16 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PuLsE ReLoAdEd

edit: considering that this was an issue caused by Epic telling people to delete their cache, they may be more understanding and give you a new rank by estimating what your rank might have been based on time played and matches played.
    Seeing as you have how to reset your rank, and how to avoid getting reset, maybe you should update the OP and title to add this possible way to restore your rank? maybe add the fact if it does get reset DO NOT PLAY A SINGLE GAME. Remove your GT, recover it, accept any update if it pops up then cross your fingers.
    Im lucky iv never lost or reset my rank by following these steps, good post for new plays to have a read. I might reset it for the 30xp and thanks to your post i now know how.
    "Reap the whirlwind" Billy the Kid

New provider:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/777715789.png

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bilbob85 View Post
    Seeing as you have how to reset your rank, and how to avoid getting reset, maybe you should update the OP and title to add this possible way to restore your rank? maybe add the fact if it does get reset DO NOT PLAY A SINGLE GAME. Remove your GT, recover it, accept any update if it pops up then cross your fingers.
    Im lucky iv never lost or reset my rank by following these steps, good post for new plays to have a read. I might reset it for the 30xp and thanks to your post i now know how.
    I was updating the OP when you posted this and I think I'll add a little more to the end on how to hopefully restore your rank. Thanks for the feedback

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PuLsE ReLoAdEd

Thanks for posting a useful thread, seems to be alot of people getting there rank reset again these days, hopefully this will help.
    "Reap the whirlwind" Billy the Kid

New provider:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/777715789.png

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LAWPAGE17

yes this happened to me due to signing a second profile in and was reset from 47 to 1, AAAAAAAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. oh well a week and I have gotten 2 rank 30 and just want to get to 50. Nice post just wished I would have read it before.
    Youtube.com/lawpage007

Resetting your rank is a great way to try and get to level 100 again because you can see your progress. It is also fun to be a level 100 disguised as a level 3, because the opposing team is usually like, "Look at that level 3 noob. He probably stinks he's gonna get owned". And then I go + 2.0 for the match and of course I'm getting blamed for being host so I casually dashboard it to prove I'm not host.

It's funny to see people say things like, "You're only good because your host!" and then that "host" quits out but the match keeps going on.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lawpage17 View Post
    yes this happened to me due to signing a second profile in and was reset from 47 to 1, AAAAAAAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. oh well a week and I have gotten 2 rank 30 and just want to get to 50. Nice post just wished I would have read it before.
    I've heard of people getting their rank set for playing with a second person and split screening with them but I'm not entirely sure how this would cause a rank reset. Can you or anyone else explain what happened? Did you sign in while the stats were updating, or is it something else for having a splitscreen?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: malasiah

I take it, it also means that if you play games in system link with a machine that does not have all its updates both in terms of xboxlive updates and game updates then this is the reason why my rank got reset to lvl 1 on the weekend. The other machine my brother in laws had all its game updates but not the latest Xboxlive update as they do not have internet where they are.

Or was it due to when my son signed in part way through one of our systemlink matches so that we could play splitscreen that caused this to happen.

Funny though that mine out of the profiles that were running at the time on the two machines was the only one affected.

Also I found all my acheivement progress has been reset as well so that was a real bummer. Does anyone know if EPIC are looking at some kind of workaround for this to not happen in GOW 3.
    Last edited by malasiah; 06-01-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lambent Veteran

Yes, usually, reseting your system cache will reset your War Journal if you play a match of Horde and do whatever he said up there. Hence your achievement progress is based off of your War Journal.
    Founder/Director for PWE
    QA for BM Team
    Betrayl | Pendulum Wars Elite

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by malasiah View Post
    I take it, it also means that if you play games in system link with a machine that does not have all its updates both in terms of xboxlive updates and game updates then this is the reason why my rank got reset to lvl 1 on the weekend. The other machine my brother in laws had all its game updates but not the latest Xboxlive update as they do not have internet where they are.

Or was it due to when my son signed in part way through one of our systemlink matches so that we could play splitscreen that caused this to happen.

Funny though that mine out of the profiles that were running at the time on the two machines was the only one affected.

Also I found all my acheivement progress has been reset as well so that was a real bummer. Does anyone know if EPIC are looking at some kind of workaround for this to not happen in GOW 3.
    It's usually the profile that experiences the biggest change when playing, if someone doesn't have XBOX Live then they wont experience any change because they were never part of the server stats. So the person that goes from all the updates to none or missing updates will be affected.

I'm not sure if much of a workaround has been made, the beta still updated when you joined a lobby and finished a game so the potential reset is still there. I don't remember hearing anyone saying that they had their rank reset but the beta was only up for 4 weeks.
    Hopefully a workaround won't be necessary since they will have a numbered ranking system right at launch so there won't be an update to implement the ranking system like we had in Gears 2.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: v SubZeRo z

Hey everyone, this is a method on how to reset your rank to level 1, resetting your rank will not affect your war journal seeing as I have done this many times before. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6NSlGtO7k. Don't forget to comment, like and subscribe

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: malasiah

It's usually the profile that experiences the biggest change when playing, if someone doesn't have XBOX Live then they wont experience any change because they were never part of the server stats. So the person that goes from all the updates to none or missing updates will be affected.

I'm not sure if much of a workaround has been made, the beta still updated when you joined a lobby and finished a game so the potential reset is still there. I don't remember hearing anyone saying that they had their rank reset but the beta was only up for 4 weeks.
    Hopefully a workaround won't be necessary since they will have a numbered ranking system right at launch so there won't be an update to implement the ranking system like we had in Gears 2.
    Thanks for the reply Eurpapi. Its a shame I never saw your post before I went and played a game straight after it reset to lvl 1. It bit hard to as I had just got to Lvl 25 (yeah sorry Gears Vets only got the bug to play online after the GOW3 beta before that had only occassionally played Horde as could never seem to get into a game anyway) Was loving the experience and for a moment thought my son had done something when I had ducked out for a quick smoke, which everyone present at the time had advised that he had done nothing but play. So was mystified as to what had caused my rank to reset. I had hoped that once I hooked back up to Xboxlive that my rank and progression stats would revert back to normal. Unfortunately that was never to be so I have had to start all over again not that it has been all bad have already managed to get at least to lvl 10 after 3 hours online gaming.

Yeah I know I'm not the greatest player but warzone is definitely become one of my favorite modes to play and I think I am getting better well at least I hope so.
    Last edited by malasiah; 06-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BadKitty x33

Thank you. I'm gonna reset my rank right now!

EDIT: Thank you! It worked. I followed directions exactly.
    Last edited by BadKitty x33; 06-02-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ms Kazehana

Thanks for the explanation on how to reset my rank. It was unfortunate enough that I accidentally glitched my rank from 87 to 100. I'm just glad I can start over.

I do have 1 question though, since I glitched to 100 and unlocked the Veteran Gear achievment early, it doesn't have a time stamp on it. Is it possible to time stamp it when I do reach 100 legitimately? I just want to know if the "Member of the Old Guard" medal in Gears 3 is a lost cause at this point.

"Tief in meinem Herz Bist du Verbor" R.I.P. Rory BumGod I think about you every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteNub
    it's about your preference, teammate pops a spot after you smoked, run through the mist predator style
    I'm Sekirei #3, Kazehana. There are only 2 people that are allowed to talk down to me. And YOU are neither of them.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by malasiah View Post
    Thanks for the reply Eurpapi. Its a shame I never saw your post before I went and played a game straight after it reset to lvl 1. It bit hard to as I had just got to Lvl 25 (yeah sorry Gears Vets only got the bug to play online after the GOW3 beta before that had only occassionally played Horde as could never seem to get into a game anyway) Was loving the experience and for a moment thought my son had done something when I had ducked out for a quick smoke, which everyone present at the time had advised that he had done nothing but play. So was mystified as to what had caused my rank to reset. I had hoped that once I hooked back up to Xboxlive that my rank and progression stats would revert back to normal. Unfortunately that was never to be so I have had to start all over again not that it has been all bad have already managed to get at least to lvl 10 after 3 hours online gaming.

Yeah I know I'm not the greatest player but warzone is definitely become one of my favorite modes to play and I think I am getting better well at least I hope so.
    You'll get there though don't worry, especially since the XP event will be significantly noticeable on Horde as long as you have a few people and power through it quickly and don't have to look for matches.
    Last edited by Eurpapi; 06-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_PIP_M View Post
    Thanks for the explanation on how to reset my rank. It was unfortunate enough that I accidentally glitched my rank from 87 to 100. I'm just glad I can start over.

I do have 1 question though, since I glitched to 100 and unlocked the Veteran Gear achievment early, it doesn't have a time stamp on it. Is it possible to time stamp it when I do reach 100 legitimately? I just want to know if the "Member of the Old Guard" medal in Gears 3 is a lost cause at this point.
    Unfortunately no you can't do anything about it legitimately even if you earned that rank on local horde and wasn't signed into XBOX Live when you did. I didn't have a timestamp for my rookie gear achievement but when I reset my rank and earned that rank again it didn't make a difference, I still didn't have the chrome hammerburst in the beta. I did earn my veteran gear achievement online though so I won't have a problem with the "Member of the Old Guard" medal.
    I had started a thread a while back and the only real solution people had for this was to open your account in Horizon and simply add a timestamp for whenever you want. Seeing that hackers and modders can easily do something like this it makes no sense to even bother checking for a timestamp. Regardless, I don't want to be labeled a modder so I chose not to give myself the timestamp, I'll live without the chrome hammerburst.

You might be able to contact Microsoft and ask them to erase your achievements for Gears 2 but it will erase all of your achievements for the game. If you do this you can try and earn back your veteran gear achievement with the XP week.
    Last edited by Eurpapi; 06-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I wanted to revive this thread since a lot of people have been earning high ranks and losing it would be a lot worse now. I also added a new step in how to recover rank, it's to turn off your XBOX immediately if you see the level 1 rank only if your XBOX doesn't autosign you in.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CGOWAddict

Hold on, I know 2 people when they got their rank reset (They didn't reset them themselves) and the Seriously 2.0 achievement got reset also.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CGOWAddict

Quote Originally Posted by oxBobbyPxo View Post
    Hey everyone, this is a method on how to reset your rank to level 1, resetting your rank will not affect your war journal seeing as I have done this many times before. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6NSlGtO7k. Don't forget to comment, like and subscribe
    BTW your video (at least as of this post) does nothing but play a song and showing nothing on the how to.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CGOWAddict View Post
    Hold on, I know 2 people when they got their rank reset (They didn't reset them themselves) and the Seriously 2.0 achievement got reset also.
    I can't say that having your rank reset won't affect your achievement progress ever, but when it happened to me it made no effect towards my achievement progress. Every time I reset my rank, with the described method, my Seriously 2.0 progress stayed there. I can't confirm for any other achievements because that is the only achievement I am missing. Keep in mind that level based achievements MUST be earned a second time 100% of the time. So if your level exceeds 50 when you reset but you haven't completed waves 1-50 on Nowhere, you must earn level 50 again before unlocking your achievement.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RVV AsnJin0475

Thanks for this guide, now I can prevent reset
    Thanks III LYCAN III for Commando Dom

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: vV Schmiedy Vv

My achievements IN the war journal are all gone, but my gamerscore and achievements in the dashboard are still there...WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just got my rank reset 10 ranks away from getting my wings. I feel like kicking the !$#% out of my TV.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LegendaryOldSon

Very informative old son, splendid thread.
    "Horde me up old son"
    Bring Beast/Horde mode to Gears 4

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fonou

Thanks for this awesome post. I'm having a glitch with my horde "blood on the sand" achievement. It stays stucked at lvl 34 so if one day I have all the other achievements, I'll reset it. Thanks a lot.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TiNY x AssAssin

If i try to get my rank 100 back, will my downloads all go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    My fellow Gears...IT'S TIME TO BOOGEY!!!
    Everton Football Club

Hi,i had my rank reset twice.First time was after clearing the cache,second time was after removing title update.
    Rank reset can happen if you play offline,not straight away but it will happen.
    After contacting xbox live via phone the past three days it seems the supervisor,Marsen,will be taking up the issue with EPIC games for us.
    I did a process of elimination to finally find the problem is with the TU6.
    What i have done is copy my pro with my rank and put it aside until a patch is available.
    I then recovered gamertag and am using it for now,there is a way to meld the two pro`s that i discovered whilst doing this elimination test.
    Lets hope EPIC fix this "glitch" fast else Gears 3 may be an EPIC disaster of EPIC proportions.
    I do not play gears online until there is a patch.
    Good luck.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarblue View Post
    Hi,i had my rank reset twice.First time was after clearing the cache,second time was after removing title update.
    Rank reset can happen if you play offline,not straight away but it will happen.
    After contacting xbox live via phone the past three days it seems the supervisor,Marsen,will be taking up the issue with EPIC games for us.
    I did a process of elimination to finally find the problem is with the TU6.
    What i have done is copy my pro with my rank and put it aside until a patch is available.
    I then recovered gamertag and am using it for now,there is a way to meld the two pro`s that i discovered whilst doing this elimination test.
    Lets hope EPIC fix this "glitch" fast else Gears 3 may be an EPIC disaster of EPIC proportions.
    I do not play gears online until there is a patch.
    Good luck.
    Hopefully you got this resolved, I did the same thing the first time and got bounced back and forth from Epic and Microsoft when they both came to the conclusion there was nothing they could do.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lTK 420l

just hit 93, got reset before at 84, hopefully all goes smooth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast