Boomshot

Map Pack (PC/PS3) COMP - Competitive Map Pack PC&PS3

COMP - COmpetitive Map Pack - For Unreal Tournament 3
    This pack contains 7 new maps for Duel, DM and TDM

COMP was created to provide new maps designed for competitive players, in Duel and TDM. The gameplay in each map has been built to provide you with the best flow and balance. With help from multiple players and mappers in the community they have been tweaked to give you a quality gameplay experience. Expect loads of trick jumps and a ton of fun.

Title: Competitive Map Pack
    Game: Unreal Tournament 3
    Compatiblity: Patch 2.1 and Titan pack
    Platform: PC & PS3
    Version: 1.0
    Release Date: May 28, 2011
    Author: COMP Team

Leader: Noob_Zaibot
    Co-leader + Web & Video: Cr4zy
    Level Designers:
    Cr4zy
    DeathoX8 aka XYZ8000
    IzziTheLizard
    Shoot_You_Down aka Satans_Father
    Zaibot

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

YouTube video

PC DOWNLOAD
    FILEPLAY
    GAMEFRONT

PS3 DOWNLOAD
    FILEPLAY
    GAMEFRONT

Mirrors most welcome!
    Last edited by Cr4zy; 05-27-2011 at 11:59 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

w00t! =)

WolfyBrandon

Boomshot

nice job guys
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

MSgt. Shooter Person

looks good, Edge is the only one I've played but that one is pretty fun.
    UT3 Game Admin @ www.FraggedNation.com Come join the fragfest!

*Edit*

Denounced has been fixed. Definitely worth playing get the updated version here. I've put most of the maps back up on my server with the updated denounced. I just made sure they are only vote-able via utcomp so Edge shouldn't get in the way of casual players who don't know any better.

-----

Edge takes the server 2 min to load. I swear I thought the server actually crashed. Was going to try dueling on Balance but it actually did crash the server. Denounced feels like a beta. The teleporter feels terrible online plus the weapon layout isn't as good at it was supposed to be. Didn't bother testing the rest. Removed from the servers.
    Last edited by Random54; 06-03-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Add random54 on xfire, x54 on steam, or rand54 on raptr for UT3 tips, tricks, tweaks, and troubleshooting.
    Get WREX anti cheat client to join WREX protected servers.
    Member of Galaxy Pugs.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Random54 View Post
    Edge takes the server 2 min to load. I swear I thought the server actually crashed.
    Edge has always taken a long time to load, as one of the many testers surely you knew that.. That's the downside of a rather large amount of custom content unfortunately. First load will always be the worst while the game has to create shaders, second time round it shouldn't be as bad.

Denounced feels like a beta. The teleporter feels terrible online plus the weapon layout isn't as good at it was supposed to be.
    Each to their own I guess, perfection is impossble when it comes to deigning for everyone.

Was going to try dueling on Balance but it actually did crash the server.
    Not crashed servers I have tested it on.

Didn't bother testing the rest. Removed from the servers.
    So because you dislike the way 3 run, you ignore the other 4, 3 of which you had input on?

Bloodline, isn't something to be missed. And as you're a dueler why remove facemash and ninja? :/ Elements may be too big for duel, but trying it won't kill you.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Downloaded. Will try them out tonight. Lolz at Denounced's description.

Iron Guard

Random, it's just the first load off a server restart. A large custom cache has to be compiled. Once it is, it will load fast until the next first time off a server restart.

I have 3 maps that I have to load each time I restart the server. Cipe, Glacial, and Achilles. I do this so people wont think something is wrong and leave.

I'm going to put all of them on beer drinkers and let the regulars decide. They all look nice from the screens.

Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Loved every map. true that it takes ages to load...all of them :/
    Found a glitch on Balanced and the map which has a corner outside the map with a space between the platforms (cant remember the name )

both those glitches allow you to get off the map, only by using the impact hammer on MPUK BTA that is.

MSgt. Shooter Person

f*ckable mappack dudes, thanks for the gift

MSgt. Shooter Person

In response to Random bringing up Denounced feeling like a beta, it technically is (he and I have already went over it). Due to us not having a night to put all of the maps on a server and test them, which I had expected to happen, it was released with some changes left out.

So as a result, I am fixing it and will release it as a standalone. I'll post a thread with the updated version as well as update this one with the link.

I have played 2 rounds on all the maps and like each of them for what they offer. The game play is solid to great and I like how each has it's own theme/style and use custom content.

My 3 favorites are...

Balance for it's game play and nice simple/clean textures.

Bloodline for it's theme, game play and atmosphere.

Edge for it's game play, theme and cool details (lights in the lift, glass boxes, and those new "plug in power up bases".

Thanks to all the mappers who took the time to build these maps and your work is appreciated, even by some one who only plays against bots.

Iron Guard

Great map pack overall, everyone was enjoying trying them out. Lots of positive comments.

Thanks to all the developers for the cool new maps.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot_You_Down View Post
    In response to Random bringing up Denounced feeling like a beta, it technically is (he and I have already went over it). Due to us not having a night to put all of the maps on a server and test them, which I had expected to happen, it was released with some changes left out.

So as a result, I am fixing it and will release it as a standalone. I'll post a thread with the updated version as well as update this one with the link.
    Sorry about the negative comment, I usually don't say anything unless I have something positive to say, I was just a little miffed over the comment you made about one of my favorite new maps DM-Ith, and I was having a hard time figuring the flow out so I was getting frustrated.

While most players seem to like it, it just seems unfinished like you say. Take your time and get it how you want it let me know and I'll put it on. Meanwhile, I'll leave the beta on the server unless you want it removed.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Alien8ed_Phreak

Downloading now.

Thanks for the PS3 cooks and link. 2 maps are not working/ packed correctly though, Ninjaparadise and Balance. Can you fix those?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Denounced has been fixed. Please use this version:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...1#post28439601

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by NewBe4hire View Post
    Thanks for the PS3 cooks and link. 2 maps are not working/ packed correctly though, Ninjaparadise and Balance. Can you fix those?
    These were both cooked the same as the other maps, I've not heard about anyone else having problems with these on PS3.

Thanks everyone else.

@SYD I added a link to your fix on the webpage.

Prisoner 849

Still getting through playing these maps (been busy recently) but so far I'm very impressed! Layouts are solid and backed up by nice clean visuals and the gameplay is top notch!
    Big thanx to all mappers involved!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

The Sacrifice
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GeNovaZ

Great map pack, especially for duels. I played all of these maps last weekend and had a blast dueling on them. Even though I've played Ninja Paradise and Facemash before, they are still fun maps.

Denounced, Edge, and Facemash are my 3 favorites.
    Steam - novazgen Xfire - genesisx2usa

Founder of GalaxyPugs, the competitive North American community for UT3. The GalaxyPugs Steam Group.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey,
    I've been looking at these maps in instant action on the Ps3 version (and they look great), but I noticed that, after installing, DM-NinjaParadise shows up in my mod browser, yet not in the map list after choosing a mode? So I haven't managed to actually start that map yet..
    Also, after reading this thread I'm wondering what kind of changes the new version of DM-Denounced had? As there's only a new PC version it seems. I'm especially wondering since it looked to be my favourite of the bunch :P

Also, as a sidenote, stock maps like Sentinel on the Ps3 version tend to use forced crouch volumes for areas where you.. Have to crouch :P
    Only kb/m players (the minority) can crouch or honk a vehicle's horn

EDIT: heh, NinjaParadise does work when you pick it a dedicated server's map list :P
    Last edited by Drokun; 06-20-2011 at 03:25 PM.

The Sacrifice

I'm in map heaven. No, seriously, those maps are cr4zy good. Edge is wonderful, instant favorite, but also Bloodline, Facemash and Ninjaparadise are awesome. The others are great, too. I just love the low poly style, not only because they have this retro classic feeling to them, which really takes me back to the good old times, but it also ensures max framerate on my notebook.

Keep up the good work, guys! You're really keeping my favorite shooter alive, without all your work over the years UT3 wouldn't be half as good.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi! Am I the only one to notice the jumppad bug in DM-Elements? or who has played it? (no one comment on it)
    You touch the sky blocking volume and bounce on closed jumpad and rebounce on blocking volume again... until you come out of the radius.

This doesnt prevent me to having fun playing on your cool map.

MSgt. Shooter Person

PS3 issue: When I try to import any map other than Bloodline(haven't tried them all), it imports just fine, but I didn't import the map "Facemesh," yet it says that, and when I try to run the map, the session start noise plays, but the match doesn't start loading. All help is appreciated!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cr4zy you are the best, thanks for this ª
    LoRD. - Site Owner
    www.MasterPlayer.com.ar
    UT3 Community

Redeemer

Been playing through these maps finally. Great stuff guys!

Iron Guard

Thought I'd post server play counts at the almost three month mark:

DM-Balance "PlayCount",Value="36"
    DM-BloodLine "PlayCount",Value="62"
    DM-Denounced_fix "PlayCount",Value="189"
    DM-Edge "PlayCount",Value="131"
    DM-Elements "PlayCount",Value="104"
    DM-Facemash "PlayCount",Value="41"
    DM-NinjaParadise "PlayCount",Value="50"

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Thought I'd post server play counts at the almost three month mark:

DM-Balance "PlayCount",Value="36"
    DM-BloodLine "PlayCount",Value="62"
    DM-Denounced_fix "PlayCount",Value="189"
    DM-Edge "PlayCount",Value="131"
    DM-Elements "PlayCount",Value="104"
    DM-Facemash "PlayCount",Value="41"
    DM-NinjaParadise "PlayCount",Value="50"
    Interesting stats!

Just tried all of these maps, and I just have to say this...

They are the best maps I've ever played. More so than the stock maps, and more so than even the HOLP packs ! These maps rank up there with the all-time classics in all of video games, (which encompasses a few of the Quake 3 maps). It is very obvious that these maps were made by hardcore UT players with the mapping skills to back it up.

Seriously, when I compare these maps to popular maps from "modern" games like Halo or Call of Duty, it's like comparing Michelangelo to a child's crayon depictions of a baboon's backside.

Here are my thoughts on each of the maps. I played each on offline mode with bots.

Balance- This map focuses a lot on choke points scattered around the map. Each spawn is obviously carefully thought out, and you can usually spawn in and immediately grab the exact weapon you need for the situation at hand. Personally, I felt that this map was perfect for shombo domination. I had tons of fun lining up great shock combo routes to maximize my kills.

Bloodline- This map reminds me a lot of DM-Cipe (one of my favorites) and a few Quake 3 maps. I liked the mix of claustrophobic passageways and sudden open areas, with plenty of interesting Z-axis gameplay going on. The Bio Rifle is especially exhilarating to use on this map. Also, the bots fared extremely well on this map in the AI department. Their pathing were unpredictable and fluid, and did not display any common niggles that I usually see in most UT3 maps. The overall theme was also excellent, and it's "Quake"-ish style and dark lighting made this one stand out over the other maps in this pack.

Denounced- Wow... even by Unreal Tournament standards, this map is insane. It's very claustrophobic, and yet there are so many damned routes and passageways that you are constantly surrounded backwards, forwards, up, down, around, and inside-out. Unlike Balance, I don't feel in control of my environment... instead I feel like I'm just fighting to stay alive! It's been a long time since I've played such a technically proficient map in terms of layout.

Edge- This one can easily be defined as a "trick map". I found so many cool little shortcuts and routes that I can safely say that they aren't there by accident. Obviously the mapper here knows how to make a perfect arena for fiercely competitive players. Personally, I liked this map's visual style the best... especially the wicked sweet jump pads!

Elements- this is a great "jack of all trades" map that supports almost every deathmatch styles out there. Flak monkeys, rocket whores, hammer heads, shombo kings, asshat snipers... whatever your fetish is, it can be indulged here. Despite the support for each of these play styles, it isn't handed to you for free. When you spawn, you usually have to actively hunt down the weapons you need, which is a nice change from most maps nowadays. Health pickup placement is rare and strict, and I often sought out those precious green orbs. Sometimes I even had to avoid picking up health altogether because of the dangerous situations that can arise around the health pickups. Overall, these elements bring out a pretty good dynamic for this map. Also, the Egyptian visual style is very reminiscent of some UT2004 maps, and I particularly liked the area near the bio pool.

Facemash- Exactly as it sounds, it is an in-your face flak/rox fest. The Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher are among my favorite weapons in this game, so it is no surprise that I especially enjoyed the gameplay of this map. This map allows for lots of cool air roxx and carefully calculated flak bounces. Other weapons fare well, too (especially the Shock Rifle, as always), but personally I felt that the Flak and Rocket Launcher finally had more of the show for themselves. Juggling people around on this map will never get old, and there are plenty of blind spots for natural killing sprees.

NinjaParadise- This map reminded me the most of some of the best UT2004 maps. As its name suggests, this map can work in favor of those who like to purposefully flank and attack people from blind spots. There is a good amount of Z-axis gameplay, and it's fun to get the drop on the poor souls near the bottom with a primed and ready Flak Cannon. The color scheme on the walls in conjunction with the stone floors were soothing/relaxing, and helped me focus on the enemies and make quick tactical decisions on the fly. For real. Certain combinations of color can either help or hinder me, and this map did it right!

The Sacrifice

oh em gee I have been waiting to see edge for a long time. Are there any popular active servers with these maps?
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminion View Post
    XxPicanteSaucexX raging on me was one of the reasons why I stopped playing this game.

http://profile.xfire.com/geronaho

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: KurlonT

COMP Pack up at www.ut3mod.com

P.S. This is a new cook that adds missing preview pics.

Redeemer

Thumbs up excellent map pack!

DM-Balance - Lots of shades of gray in here with a little dabble of color and solid textures; I like the fans/jumppads and old skool style. Definitely a frantic match with good weapon and spawn point placement, excellent balance and flow as most of these maps have.

DM-Bloodline - Another tight one with lots of ramps, z-axis and a little bigger than Balance with more atmosphere. Bots can be a nuisance in this one and has a definite Q3-like atmosphere with good music.

DM-Denounced-fix - Another solid map in terms of gameplay and atmosphere, but not sure what was wrong with the original and this one seems fine. It has an industrial-look with pastel color thrown in as some others in this pack do; I like the textures and the music fits. Even with the crazy pathways, the bots are slightly easier than in Bloodline.

DM-Edge - I like the trim and colors in here as well as the cool jumppads and "Muse-like" music. The bots give a tough match and many pathways is fun.

DM-Elements - A more wide-open layout with also many pathways, nice trim and an almost mix-themed map but I see mostly Egyptian in here. Another fun map and at one point I found myself bounced around like a pinball (possibly from the pad at an angle up high).

DM-FaceMash - fragfest extraordinaire this one is and reminds me of a couple others in this pack, but this one has softer color, softer music, glass and other things that set it apart. Bots are easy in here but don't be a slouch as frags can rack up quickly.

DM-NinjaParadise - plenty of z-axis opportunities and an obvious Japanese atmosphere, except music is not. Good texture and color combinations and a nice touch with the foliage and high archway. Bots are somewhat easy, but not pushovers.

These maps must have been fun online, but I guess I missed the window.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Memphis81 PSN ID: Memphis81

good work! would like to see a 1v1 or 2v2 cup from multiplay about this mappack! ;D

Boomshot

nice............

MSgt. Shooter Person

added the maps to my server (including fixed Denounced); the maps played great. very consistent feel across levels.
    thx for great mappack!

MSgt. Shooter Person

THX to you man, we are glad you like the map pack