Thread: DM-Asbestos

MSgt. Shooter Person

Map - Deathmatch (PC) DM-Asbestos

Name:DM-Asbestos.
    Version:Beta 2.
    Compatibility:PC.
    Description:Conversion of the DM-Asbestos from UT2004.
    Screenshots:

Credits:Cliff Blezinski.
    Homepage:http://www.moddb.com/members/na47021...-asbestosfixed
    Download:http://www.map-factory.org/ut3/death...-asbestos-3146
    Last edited by Net Lizzard; 08-27-2011 at 02:38 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't know the original so I can't comment on the honesty of the conversion but I did notice a few things you may want to be aware of.

First, I find it strange that you can walk through a fence to get to the redeemer. If you want to block it off but still be able to walk through... how about force field or a door?

That black texture in that moat is strange. Looks like it's just a glitched out material. Who knows, maybe it is.

It is impossible to walk up the ramps by sniper. You need to smooth that out somehow.

All-in-all, even if I think the map is scaled big for ut3, it looks like it will still play pretty well. Especially the keg room.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by IzziTheLizard View Post
    First, I find it strange that you can walk through a fence to get to the redeemer. If you want to block it off but still be able to walk through... how about force field or a door?
    Just like in the original. UT maps had more creativity and unreality to them back then, also what concerns hidden places. Another example of an odd way of hiding things would be Stalwart and Stalwart's XL version from UT99:
    To get access to ammo and health vials you shot a wall and the wall opened, without knowing that place on the wall you had to shoot you couldn't really tell that there was a hidden room. It looked normally.

Nice conversion! I bet with the color tweaking it will look like in UT2004 again.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

MMM I had 2 crash playing this map but no in another maps o.O

The filesize is huge mate! I imagine this is still beta, overall this maps is well scaled. Please dont forget improving the lightning is too bright

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hate to burst your bubble but this map has been made years ago for UT3!

Thread (Beta Section) from 07-24-2009 HERE!

....being this late to the party you should ALWAYS search to make sure your map name has not been done yet! ...ESPECIALLY if it's an OLD CLASSIC!

This was a peeve I had when this game first came out....EVERYONE had to be the FIRST to re-create an old classic and bring back OTHER mappers maps from previous versions to still the glory!

....anyway, I would recommend renaming that map with your initials or something to diferentiate your map so no problems occur down the line!

pic's look good so far though!
    Lm's [HP] House f Pain! :-[=
    "Get Ready To Feel The Pain"

Iron Guard

@up

Well... it is direct remake so it has more rights in using original name. Additionally it would help if someone want to find map which look like original.

Anyway i'm looking forward to it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Fartuess View Post
    @up

Well... it is direct remake so it has more rights in using original name.
    ...well, no surprise coming from a kid doing the same thing!

Still don't make it right imo!

...just think about it...put the shoe on the other foot and pretend it was your map....would that upset you?

again, I was only making a suggestion to the OP.
    Lm's [HP] House f Pain! :-[=
    "Get Ready To Feel The Pain"

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Snorkelbottom

just name it DM-AsbestosClassic, simples.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelbottom View Post
    just name it DM-AsbestosClassic, simples.
    Yeah this would work. I have a lot of pairs of remake maps, one mapname and one mapnameClassic. I like them both

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Smile It's not that bad.

Needs player load and preview shot (never mind about it for what TKBS said and this map is a BETA release). Nice exact textures and meshes from the UT2004 one (maybe I should call a conversion), at least this one is a bit scaled but the lighting needs improved more and others are plain good. There are few paths that are stucked including the stairs in the sniper room, but fine gameplay and the bots are decent. Except for the fact that the two-sided alpha/masked floor textures are only affected to humans not a weapon projectile, you frag them inside the alpha textures as soon as possible in a bit attention. Note that this map is barely uncooked (or not) due to its bigger file size.

A comparison would be nice;this one ^^
    & this one:...
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ht=DM-Asbestos

- and if your verdict is "could be improved " [for both Versions], then i might consider this a remake i woul dlike to do myself.
    [long time from now - but maybe eventually]

@ Tux: again thanks for the continued reviews; i did not even know about this map

Redeemer

Smile

OK, I'm in the middle of downloading both of the betas and I'll try and compare them soon. Has anyone else done this?

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by TKBS View Post
    A comparison would be nice;this one ^^
    & this one:...
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ht=DM-Asbestos

- and if your verdict is "could be improved " [for both Versions], then i might consider this a remake i woul dlike to do myself.
    [long time from now - but maybe eventually]

@ Tux: again thanks for the continued reviews; i did not even know about this map
    You're welcome.

Stated that this map is a conversion from UT2004 (calling it Asbestos_Classic); and the other one is the custom contents for UT3 (eventually that is originally in UT2003). Both of these two are good remakes, great pairs, and similar, but beta releases and postponing for the final release however.
    Last edited by Private Tux; 05-24-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
    OK, I'm in the middle of downloading both of the betas and I'll try and compare them soon. Has anyone else done this?
    Don't know, the author(s) knows that. Just do it.

Redeemer

Thumbs up comparison

DM-Asbestos (by Akybron) > needs preview shot, no music and needs more sounds; more dilapidated than UT2004/UT2003 original and like the different look, bots are decent and have tough time xlocing near FC pickup to get powerup.

DM-Asbestos (by NetLizzard) this one > needs preview shot, map is similar to original and seems to have slight haze, very good textures/meshes, music is different than original, bots are very good and I prefer this version. As far as naming goes, both never made it to final so any naming controversy is moot point, besides both maps appear in map list at same time with different names.
    http://www.map-factory.org/ut3/death...-asbestos-3146

Both, of course, need a recommended player load.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 06-03-2012 at 12:55 AM.