Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boomshot

Big Grin [TUTORIAL] INI color tweak [PIC]

Please do not use this thread to express your anger because you don't agree with players changing this, create your own thread or use one of the many already existent.

If you want to have your look in the first post:
    1. Compress the .upk and your Engine.ini
    2. Upload them to an uploading website
    3. Post the download link and 2 screenshot (one of the default look and one for the new look)
    4. Tell us a name for your configuration
    5. You're done, I'll then post it here under 'More Downloads'

If you want more info on how to change the game's looking, here are some links for useful stuff:
    Custom Processing - Instructions and comparisons by Xyx

Hi, in this tutorial I'll teach you how to change the look of the game, such has the color amount, remove desaturation and so on.
    You won't use any mutator or mod, and you'll be able to play online with this changes (I personally tested in official Epic servers and unofficial servers too).

Here you have the files generated with this tutorial, note that you'll only be able to make it look like what you want if you read the tutorial.

More downloads:
    Cr4zy's Colour Edit
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    (Default/New)

So let’s start:
    1. Start the Unreal Editor. To do this, you can go to 'Start>Programs>Unreal Tournament 3> Unreal Tournament 3 Editor'.
    If this does not exist, go to this page and follow its instructions.

After opening the Editor wait while it opens (this can take a while).

2. When the Editor has finished loading, a window called Generic should open automatically:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

if it does not open, click on the 'Open the Generic Browser Window' button:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

3. In the 'Generic Browser Window' and in the tab 'Generic' go to 'File>New...’ A window called 'New' will open.

4. In this window the fields will be:
    Packages: ColorPackage
    Group: (Leave this empty)
    Name: ColorProcess
    Factory: PostProcessEffect
    After you fill the fields press the 'OK' button.

5. Now in the packages box, look for the package that has the name that you gave in step 4, in this case the name is 'ColorPackage'. After you find it click on it.

6. Double click the file that you can find inside and that has the name you gave, in this case 'ColorProcess'. A window called 'Unreal Post Process Editor: <file-name>' will open, if you want, maximize it, like I did. This is where we will change how the game looks.

Now, let’s talk about what you can do here.
    Lets right click on the gray area, a menu will open with the following choices:
    DOFAndBloomEffect
    MaterialEffect
    MotionBlurEffect
    UberPostProcessEffect

Add in a MaterialEffect and connect the 'Out' of the 'SceneRenderTarget' node to the 'In' of the 'MaterialEffect'.
    Click the 'MaterialEffect' and under its properties in the 'MaterialEffect' tab change the field Material from 'None' to
    Code:
    Material'FX_HitEffects.Materials.M_FX_HitEffect'
    After that, in the PostProcessEffect tab change EffectName from none to
    Code:
    HitEffect
    This MaterialEffect will take care of the take damage direction that you get on the screen when you take damage, that is why the EffectName is HitEffect.
    If you don't want this indicator to show up when you're in game, just remove it.

Let’s now Add in a MotionBlurEffect. Wait!! Don't pass this one, we are going to change it and you'll be able to turn it off in the video properties (with the latest patch).
    After adding in a MotionBlurEffect connect the 'Out' of the MaterialEffect to the 'In' of the MotionBlurEffect node.
    Select the MotionBlurEffect node and under its properties in the tab PostProcessEffect set EffectName to
    Code:
    MotionBlur
    This is what will allow you to turn it off and on in the game's video settings, if you leave it blank it will ignore what you have in the settings.
    Now in the tab MotionBlurEffect set MotionBlurAmount to
    Code:
    This will control the amount of blur that will be created, a smaller value equals less blur.

Now add an UberPostProcessEffect. This node has everything in it, but since we want to be able to turn off MotionBlur without turning off the rest the motion blur effect has another node.
    Connect the 'Out' of the MotionBlurEffect to the 'In' of the UberPostProcessEffect node.
    Click on the UberPostProcessEffect and under its properties in the tab UberPostProcessEffect set SceneDesaturation to
    Code:
    This will remove the desaturation, setting it to 1 will make the game black and white.
    In SceneShadows you have X, Y and Z. X is the red channel, Y is the green channel and Z is the blue channel. Changing the values will change the shadows' color; higher values will give the shadows more of that color.
    Let’s leave it at the default.
    In SceneHighLights you also have X, Y and Z. The letters are for the same colors as in SceneShadows since this is how the Engine has it set up. Changing the values will change how bright the colors are, a higher value will make the colors darker, while a smaller value will make then brighter. Let’s just make them all 0.3:
    Code:
    X=0.3
    Y=0.3
    Z=0.3
    In SceneMidTones we also have the 3 letters. The letters mean the same as in the other 2 fields. Changing the values of this field will change how the colors look. It will change if they can have lots of tones (for example, dark red and lighter red) or if they are more flat. A smaller value makes the colors more flat, while a higher value will make it more "dynamic". Don't put this value to high thought, or it may look a bit crappy.
    Lets just make them all 1.5:
    Code:
    X=1.500000
    Y=1.500000
    Z=1.500000
    How did I find these values?
    Well, in this post, it was added +100 Vibrance and +50 Saturation to a screenshot. After analysing even more what the effects of the properties in UT3 were, I realised that the SceneHighlights property was like the Vibrance and that the SceneMidTones was like Saturation. Knowing this, I made a 'Rule of Three'.
    So, the normal value of Vibrance in a PC is 50, and we assume that 1 is the value of UT3 that corresponds to those 50. It was added 100 vibrance, so the end result would be 100+50=150. So here is what I got:

Since 1/3 is an infinite number, it will slow the game if I use it, so I used 0.3 instead.
    Now, the normal value for the Saturation on the PC is 100. The default value for SceneMidTones is 1. To the edited image it was added a value of 50, so the new value is 150 for the PC. Here is what I got:

Now back to the Editor.
    In the tab DOFAndBloomEffect set BloomScale to 0.30.
    Now in the tab DOFEffect just set MaxNearBlurAmount, MaxFarBlurAmount, FocusInnerRadius and FocusDistance to 0:
    Code:
    MaxNearBlurAmount=0
    MaxFarBlurAmount=0
    FocusInnerRadius=0
    FocusDistance=0
    This will remove the DOF effect (Depth of Field effect).

This is how it looks like when finished:

Save your package by going into 'File>Save...' in the generic browser while you have your package selected. Save it in the folder ".\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\" and save it has the name you gave it, should already be typed in by default, otherwise save it has ColorPackage.upk.

9. Close the Editor and go to the folder "..\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\". Open the file UTEngine.ini with Notpad. Then go to 'Edit>Replace...'. In the first field paste:
    Code:
    DefaultPostProcessName=FX_HitEffects.UTPostProcess
    and in the second field paste:
    Code:
    DefaultPostProcessName=ColorPackage.ColorProcess
    Note that the second field may be different if you gave another name to the package, it should be:
    Code:
    DefaultPostProcessName=PackageName.PostProcessName
    After filling the two fields click on 'Replace All'. Close the 'Replace' dialog box and go to 'File>Save'. Close Notepad.

You're done. Go play the game with more colour and no DOF.
    Sorry for the long post, but now you know what to change to get what you want.

Please reply!

Images uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by 100GPing100; 02-12-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Fixed Post Formating.

God King

I'm going to PM Flak about that. This deserves to be a sticky thread!

Thanks GPing!
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

The Sacrifice

Well i would tend to say, very good job, though, i'm afraid it's quite complicated for the average Joe, and well some ppl may don't want to bother with all of this .
    Dunno if u can create a file that contains those modif that ppl can paste, and just modify RGB value, well just sayin'.
    But nice discover man, gj again .

Boomshot

Yes, I can upload the 2 files needed to have it without needing to do nothing, just note that the file that will come from this tutorial's values will have an agressive look in game.

File'll be uploaded in 2 min.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have saved my own utengine.ini for a look !... (and I ll modify properly mine) but for waiting.... I have tried yours and... Wow !! that's FABULOUS and refreshing the game !!! AWESOME !!!! Double Rainbow WAOOOOO !!!!! XD
    THANK YOU SO MUCH !

Thanks also for the tuto, you are really amazing !!!

Boomshot

I tried to mix up my own postprocess material. It didn't work. So either you can only edit default settings (a good thing) or I did it wrong.

As it stands it only allows colour tweaking, which is no problem when it comes to havign to worry about people abusing this to gain a major advantage.

Boomshot

awesome settings!sad colors are gone
    thx for sharing
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

The Sacrifice

i am new. what does this do? is this for map creations or lego look?
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminion View Post
    XxPicanteSaucexX raging on me was one of the reasons why I stopped playing this game.

http://profile.xfire.com/geronaho

Iron Guard

That looks really great, thanks
    My wonderful Youtube videos of this nonsense
    Awesome music

Boomshot

This is to change how to game looks by adding more color to it. Also, this will interact with PostProcess in the video settings, so see which one fits you the best

I may make a video Tutorial too, and a in-game video

100GPing100

I love you. <3
    PC specs: 64KB ram, 1.023 MHz cpu, MOS Technology VIC-II 6567/8562 graphics, 6581/8580 SID sound.

God King

I'm going to translate this and to post this at UTzone with a link to this thread once I get my PC working again. Right now my PC has the highest priority...
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

I've done something seriously awesome with this, adding even more colour to UT3. Tweaking it atm, but it's looking awesome.

The Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    This is to change how to game looks by adding more color to it. Also, this will interact with PostProcess in the video settings, so see which one fits you the best

I may make a video Tutorial too, and a in-game video

Thanks. I comprehend now. Just have to get the nerve to try it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr4zy View Post
    I've done something seriously awesome with this, adding even more colour to UT3. Tweaking it atm, but it's looking awesome.
    Pics or it didn't happen Now I enable bright skins. Next more cowbell!
    XxPicanteSaucexX raging on me was one of the reasons why I stopped playing this game.

Boomshot

cant stop playing! this add a serious "+" to quite all the maps i ve tryed so far....
    top notch job !probably the best thing that happened to UT3 since the titan pack
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W

God King

Epic, how about an official patch with this ini tweak? Please The "patch" is already done, just "make it official" and we get more players and the game will be revived and those sceptics may return to the game and be like "wow, so many colors, I'll keep playing it this time"

S l y .

Boomshot

lol, thanks or your support all. It would look much better with HDR (High Dynamic Range).

Tip:
    Don't set the midtones to 1.75 then play one of Cr4zy's map (ie cipe) You will go blind with the saturation and contrast XD
    example
    PC specs: 64KB ram, 1.023 MHz cpu, MOS Technology VIC-II 6567/8562 graphics, 6581/8580 SID sound.

God King

This looks... UNREAL!!
    This look exactly like the first Unreal in that screenshot!

I'd so like to play it right now but I'm still messing aroung with my PC..

S l y .

Boomshot

Ok. So here is 'Cr4zy's Colour Edit'

This is major saturation and colour boosting, as such it won't have the desired effect on some maps that are actually already colourful. But it certainly makes Epic's maps look less brown.

There is however, three contrasts avaliable, so some might work better then others.

http://cr4zyb4st4rd.co.uk/Files/Cr4zys_Colour_Edit.rar

Just for the hell of it.
    Default UT3

Modified UT3
    Last edited by Cr4zy; 05-23-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Fixed image links

The Sacrifice

^ wow it really brightens it up. Have you tried this on sandstorm? It looks like there is less fog.

MSgt. Shooter Person

That looks significantly better! More colorful/alive rather than all grey.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Nice tutorial man
    Gonna blow the dust off of my ut3 copy and test this out <3 !!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Hi, in this tutorial I'll teach you how to...
    Nice 100GPing. Thanks for posting this.
    It makes it much more colourful when playing. Shame Epic didn't include some sort of slider for the look of the game, esp when making it so desaturated and grey.

I imagine I will play more, now it looks nice
    Thanks again.
    Kind Regards

Boomshot

I'm glad you all like it.

I had some plans to make some sort of patch for the game. It included a fix for the bugs found in the bugs list and this.

Thanks Cr4zy, I'll add that to the first post

Boomshot

Cr4zy, you're the one who made DM-Saturation? That is my favourite map, I almost only play that map even when testing my stuff

Boomshot

Just noticed something Cr4zy, you write colour, and I am used to write color lol

I guess I am going to start wiriting colour since UK inglish is the best

Boomshot

Sorry for another post...

I advise everyone to do not use infinit numbers, such has 1/3 (1.333333...), doing so will make the game slower because of the math calculations that it has to do. If you used infinit numbers, please change them.

Boomshot

The problem of the costum maps...I am going to try to fix it by making a custom node.

Boomshot

Cr4zy, you're the one who made DM-Saturation? That is my favourite map, I almost only play that map even when testing my stuff
    Yes I did

Just noticed something Cr4zy, you write colour, and I am used to write color lol

I guess I am going to start wiriting colour since UK inglish is the best
    Aye, real English! None of this slack American English :P

A custom node sounds good, I noticed there was a check box to use work values, it doesn't seem to read these values from maps though, I was going to read postprocess values from maps and then hopefully just my colour material node would have boosted the colour, but it increases contrast too and that didn't work too well. makes the lava in DM-Cipe pink :B

Boomshot

I was able to had something VERY similar to HDR (High Dynamic Range).
    I did it with a material, like the hit effect. Now I only need to change it a bit so it isn't too dark xD

Boomshot

My colour edit is the only using HDR (a fake one). It is currently on beta 1:

There is some stuff nedding to be fixed. The most noticable is it being too dark.

Boomshot

Did it, finally found the right values for it to look good, almost like UDK

(default/Cr4zy's Colour Edit/100GPing100's Colour Edit)

I'll upload this version when I think it is at is best

Just noticed, this thread is 4 stars

Boomshot

I'll upload it when I get to final, which will be after I talk with a coder that worked on the game. I asked Flak for a contact.

Boomshot

wow...wow...looks really improved

MSgt. Shooter Person

This sounds quite promising! Going to try it right now. Thank you Yellow for the head's up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast