Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    God King

MAP-CTF CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts[RC1]

Name: file name: CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts; title: Sly.'s Block Forts
    Version: RC 1
    Compatibility: regular UT2004, no bonus content should be needed, should also work with UT2003
    Construction time: about 3 hours (incl. recreation of the original textures) + some hours of testing and spectating bots.
    Description: "Do you recognize this arena? Probably yes. Once you could see go-karts driving on these forts, bananas lying on the ground and ?-boxes. Today you see Tournament combatants fighting, goo sticking to the ground and weapon and ammo pick-ups. Are you ready for a fight on Sly's Block Forts?"
    (small note: forgot the dot in my name, will be changed in the final )
    Credits: Epic Games for the Unreal series, the engine, the UEd3 and UT2003/4, myself for recreating the map (), Nintendo for the original "arena" and Nemephosis, who requested this remake
    Screenshots:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment: This map is almost a 1 -1 remake. I tried to recreate it as accurately as possible and I think I did it.
    I recreated this map for Nemephosis, since he couldn't find what he was searching for (and since I needed something new to work on that doesn't take ages to finish). He wanted the blue and green forts to be swapped so I did this, I added all necessary pickups and tried to balance the map as good as I could. I hope you all will like it, I had pretty much fun with it while testing and I'm very surprised how good it turned out

ENJOY!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
    The Release Candidate 1 is out. The download link has been updated.

Changes from the beta:
    • Reduced player count to 2-8
    • Added location volumes for the ground level and both levels of each forts
    • Added a small sun (seriously, it seemed a bit strange that there was sunlight but no sun in this map)
    • Corrected Shock Rifle ammo issue
    • slightly improved paths (corrected some issues, I don't see a need for AI scripts in this map though, the bots act fine without them)
    • Reduced the number of adrenaline pills on the map to a half
    • Fixed the skybox issue (the blue bottom is now grey/white)
    • Added a map description

Still known issues:
    • Still no music (in search for a good remix of the original Block Fort music, if I don't find one for the final I'll use a calm UT2004 song, probably one of the Level tracks)
    • There is still no screenshot. The screenshot will be added when the map reaches its final state.

And now...
    ...DOWNLOAD ME!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
    Latest version can be found here.
    Last edited by Sly.; 10-19-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Final version is out
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

OMFG, YES. You're incredible. I'm definitely playing this right now. Will let you know how it is

edit: Played a quick match. I don't think it's too bright at all, that's what the Mario world is. Bright with cheery colours. And of course, Block Fort IS a Mario-series map... There MAY be just a touch too much adrenaline on the top though, maybe put 5 pills on each runway up there. lol. Might have overdone that a bit.

8 players is definitely fast paced enough.

Music: Hmm. We need some music, but can we use Mario kart battle mode music? Or would this fall under copyrights and stuff... I dunno, I have other Mario style maps that use Mario music... personally, I don't see the problem, of course no one makes money off their maps and as long as all credit goes to Nintendo (and more specifically, whoever composed it if we can find that out) there shouldn't be a problem.

On one hand, I sort of kind of like the Unreal Demolition blockfort as a base for this... but then having played CTF on that (I found some converter thing that uses DM maps and puts CTF flags in them so you can play CTF on them) that seems way too big. WAY too big. I put 32 players in there and STILL had a hard time finding targets.

Only thing we need now is a CTF4 version :P Hey, we're halfway there already

Overall? I like, a lot Thanks so much for making it.
    Last edited by Nemephosis; 04-18-2011 at 12:08 AM.

God King

No problem I just needed a break of all the other maps I'm currently working on (and that's basically every single map I have made since none of them is final yet, lol) and since I'm addicted to the UEd I have to take a break by making other maps! And what's better than making such a simple map like this?

Well, the music is (as you already said) copyrighted, that's the problem. AfaIk Koji Kondo made the music in this one as well (such as the music of many other Nintendo games, especially the Zelda series) I'm not 100% sure though.

Yeah, what concerns the adrenaline you seem to be right. I've overdone it a bit (although it adds a lot to the fast-paced gameplay, as you requested I'll reduce it to half the adrenaline count though).

So, the weapon placement seems to be all fine, right?
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

I'd put a different weapon on the middle tiers where the link/lightning guns are now. Blue can get the Shock Rifle, Red the Rocket Launcher, Green the Minigun, and Gold the Flak Cannon. This would add a dynamic to the map if you made a CTF4 version too. I remember playing a CTF4 map for UT that did something like that, where each base got a different weapon, which made attacking and defending them all different strategies.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Haha, talk about incidents.
    Made this in January: http://bigbattleservers.com/forum/vi...hp?f=30&t=3028

(Just BTW, you might hear more about VCTF4 in the future )

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ReiDevJord

oops double post
    Last edited by jefe; 04-18-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I don't think Nintendo has ever taken action on music posted from their games. I think Kondo himself once said it was flattering that so many people like his music. (Kenta Nagata actually composed the music in MarioKart64 though.) If they ever did take any action, you'd get a cease and desist, and if they were in that sort of mood, they could issue one for your level as well.

One option I suppose is to use remixed music. There aren't any remixes of the battle music on OC, but both of these are quite nice, but probably too laid back. One problem with remixes though is most of the time they don't loop well.
    http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02032/
    http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02165/

I uploaded some appropriate music (Mario and Luigi Circuit from Brawl) to my filefront account if you want to use it, and if you haven't found any music by your next build, type in a file name in the audio properties at least. The file name I used was used in another BlockFort remake, so might as well leave it the same.
    Last edited by jefe; 04-18-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fixed link

I can always just email Nintendo and ask. It can't hurt, the worst that happens is they say no.

Quote Originally Posted by PaD View Post

Looks good, but for CTF continuity, either red/gold should be swapped, or blue/green, so that Blue and Red are across from each other, and Green and Gold are. I'll be looking into that more later for sure...

God King

[UPDATE]

Release Candidate 1 is out. The first post has been updated.

Enjoy!

S l y .

You added a sun, eh? You need to use ANGRY SUN from SMB3 in that case

http://www.d3dgames.com/images/Classic2/smb21.jpg

edit: Also, I'd really prefer no music over UT music. Mario music is not "calm".

This is the music they used on Block Fort, but personally I don't like it, I would use something from the SNES game maybe. I'll look around, see what I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YqyjNQaFNQ

But I always liked this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_yUrcfdwbk

Also, if you don't mind, I would really like to do a writeup for the map description
    Last edited by Nemephosis; 04-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.

God King

Haha. Nice one but it doesn't fit to the comic/cartoony like look of MK64, this game was more "realistic" in that case so I used a more realistic sun (if you look at other MK64 tracks you'll see that the suns don't have a smile either ).

S l y .

It doesn't have to be realistic. If we're going for nostalgia, we might as well go all the way with it.

God King

So what do you think of the map description? Is it all fine, does it have any orthography or grammar mistakes? I'm not a native English speaker after all

S l y .

Just minor stuff.

"Do you recognize this arena? Probably yes. Once you could see go-karts driving on these forts, bananas lying on the ground and ?-boxes. Today you see Tournament combatants fighting, goo sticking to the ground and weapon and ammo pick-ups. Are you ready for a fight on Sly's Block Forts?"

This is what it would be, corrected.

"Do you recognize this arena? Probably, (comma) yes. Once, (comma) you could see go-karts driving on these forts, bananas lying on the ground, (comma) and ?-boxes. Today, (comma) you see Tournament combatants fighting, goo sticking to the ground, (comma) and weapon and ammo pick-ups. Are you ready for a fight on Sly's Block Forts?"

So basically, just a few commas. Other than that, yeah, it's done very well.

Edit: Wait, you're not a native English speaker, and yet you used the word "orthography"? Hell, I had to look that up LOL.

God King

These darn commas, they're my weak spot!
    Thanks, I'm going to fix this for the final

Well, many people say that my English isn't that bad (I'm not very selfconfident so I never believe what people say about my English and my maps anyway - even if it might be true ).

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: "none"

You know what would be even more awesome?

Tiny Huge island from Mario 64. XD

But I love this arena, always loved Mario Kart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Well, many people say that my English isn't that bad (I'm not very selfconfident so I never believe what people say about my English and my maps anyway - even if it might be true ).
    Let's put it this way. You used the word "orthography" and you're not a native English speaker.

I had to look that up, and I ONLY speak English.

You clearly do not have any problem with the language.

If you wouldn't mind though, I'd like to do the writeup for the map. I want to contribute at least a small something, and I can't very well map or anything.

God King

Sure, you can do that if you like

S l y .

Deathless

For me orthography is a normal word, even if english is not my native language

Also, will there be a CTF4 version?

God King

When the final is done (soundtrack is all I need, didn't find any bugs) then yes. Then there will be 2 CTF4 versions:
    One with this weapon layout of the current bases (red, blue) and one with different weapons for each base depending on color, like Link Gun and Bio Rifle for the green base, Flak Cannon and Lightning Gun for the yellow base, etc.

S l y .

Quote Originally Posted by 100GPing100 View Post
    For me orthography is a normal word, even if inglish is not my native language
    You know, you guys really aren't making me feel any better here.
    Last edited by Nemephosis; 04-20-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Redeemer

Sometimes, learners have an even broader vocabulary than native speakers, that's just normal. (If this helps you: It's because we study too much )

To topic:
    Different weapons in the bases? I can imagine that would be funny, but wouldn't it be unfair aswell? What could the Bio-rifle guys do to stop the lightning gun guys stop spawnkilling them?
    Last edited by Baryonyx; 04-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

God King

Walk on the ground level
    Jk
    Hm.. yeah, this could be an issue. But they'd also have the Link Gun in their base. It's also green just like the Lightning Gunners (yellow) would have a Flak Cannon in their base. The blue guys would have a (that's what my current problem is, no other "blue" weapon...) and a Shock Rifle, the red guys would have the Rocket Launcher and a Sniper Rifle.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by PaD View Post

Where did can i get VCTF4 gametype?I google it and i just find maps, can someone help please?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
    Convert the time in your friend and not your enemy there is not any limit time for doing maps.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Isn't it part of the ctf4 mod? And there's a music track of the N64 battle music with that map, just set this map to the same file name, problem solved.

MSgt. Shooter Person

No, i have all the CTF4 mod, and it does not have support for VCTF4, does not have skins, the gametype, i just found OLTeams PowerCore(maybe they started to do it for onslaught and dont finished), and does not have even skins for vehicles , i want vctf4, im already a fan of CTF4, i can think how cool would be the V-CTF4 one
    Convert the time in your friend and not your enemy there is not any limit time for doing maps.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Isn't it part of the ctf4 mod? And there's a music track of the N64 battle music with that map, just set this map to the same file name, problem solved.
    Thanks Jefe! Good idea, first I'll ask the author though.

S l y .

You'll have to contact Nintendo.

nintendo@noa.nintendo.com

Just tell them what you're doing, what you want it for, specify you aren't making money from it (and in fact, are legally not allowed to, since you can't sell mods) and that you want to use their music because it fits. They should probably not have a problem with it.

edit: Okay Sly, you got the same PM I did. Looks like we'll just have to go ahead and do it, lest the whole thing be killed. That would suck.
    Last edited by Nemephosis; 04-21-2011 at 01:07 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I don't think Nintendo has ever taken action on music posted from their games. I think Kondo himself once said it was flattering that so many people like his music.
    It's flattery of the highest order, and gives the composer more recognition. Now, if Kondo were selling the music itself commercially for profit, well something might come of it.

Jesus, I'll just email them.

edit: There, I did it.
    Last edited by Nemephosis; 04-21-2011 at 02:20 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by LIPRampage View Post
    Where did can i get VCTF4 gametype?I google it and i just find maps, can someone help please?
    http://bigbattleservers.com/forum/vi...hp?f=30&t=3012

will lead you to:

http://bigbattleservers.com/download...2011-01-08.rar

not a final version as pd_/PaD said.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
    Thanks!!!

Got a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo

Hi (my name),

I appreciate your interest in Nintendo and all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

We are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use the music Mario Kart for you game; however, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions. I realize this isn’t what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.

Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances. You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible—Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

Sincerely,

Bruce Mann
    Nintendo of America Inc.
    Basically what they're saying is they're not saying no because they don't want us to use it, they're saying no because it's the default answer as opposed to sifting through thousands of requests and they don't have the manpower, and that I should basically pay a lawyer so he can tell me "You're not making money, so no big deal".

Just do it. They don't seem to care much, they're just saying "we say no as a default answer so people won't inundate us with questions".

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
    Atention who download this:

Requirements:

UT2004 patch 3369(my 3339 version not runned, needed to install 3369 on it to it run)
    UT2004 ECE Bonus pack
    CTF4 mod.

Just to who wants to download it, have it files and you can download it with no problem!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I hate any Nintendo content, but this map is really awesome!

Looks fun. Reminds me of CTF-Suess in an old, warm familiar way.

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Cool Very fun!

This map is very fun and needs the preview shot for the game (don't mind about it because this map is version RC1). 8-bit textures are likeable to me (including chess board floor, stripes and bricks) and the bots are quite good at. In fact, the music background played well on Mario Kart music themes, the Austin Powers theme song (music included on my Austin Powers Voice Pack for UT2004), or anything by pressing F11 for the music player.

PS: I'm using one of the internet radio stations I've been currently listening to while playing this map with no music in the game.

God King

Thank you, this was a very easy faithful remake as it's very low poly. I was even lucky to get the scaling right with the first try (one dodgejump to jump from one fort to the other when not using the lower bridge). I placed the flags on the edges so you can also do a nice impactjump/shieldjump with the flag when coming from the bottom. The health packs are there to allow the player to make an impactjump without killing himself. I hope people are making use of this.
    I still have no idea what music (preferably default music) to use for this one after all these months, so if anybody has a suggestion, post it here so I can finally get this done. lol
    Last edited by Sly.; 05-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Great Map! used DMEverywhere mod to play this map as a deathmatch instead of CTF and it was great! I simply pressed F11 as TuxAndroid mentioned and loaded up the music from Mario64_bo-omb battlefield. Lots of found memories from Mario Kart 64. I remember one time i played so long with my little cousins that afterwards, everytime i closed my eyes i saw karts and shells. true story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast