MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Creating a welcome screen?

Hi all,

I am running a homemade mutator on my server, which changes the behaviour of many of the weapons quite a bit, and because of this, I would like to inform players joining about these changes.

I am currently running the ServerAdverts mutator, but, I don't want to spam people, and that potentially makes new players wait for up to 5 minutes before they get a mid-screen message.

There are tutorials that show how to extend/create the HUD part of the display, but, I am not sure where to "hook in" and show the welcomescreen. (It should display on every map-load)

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

There are some mutators which are using sort of a welcom screen.

Take a look at BiaVote
    http://code.google.com/p/ut3-sniper-game/wiki/BiaVote

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have taken a peek at BiaVote, but couldn't really make heads or tails about the timing of the Welcome screen.

I guess i'll just have to try harder

The author of BIAVote has done this quite complex. The easiest solution i could find is done by FakeTruth in his mutator RBTTNews. It's really easy. You should ask him for the sourcecode.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated, I think i'll just use the mutator directly, no need to reinvent the wheel when someone else has done a great job already (and, it looks very functional)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well, i've been working hard on this, and have been able to get something to work (heavily inspired by RBTTNews, BUT, I have run into a problem.

RBTTnews does not work on dedicated servers, only listen, which is what i'm running. (Edit: This is me making a mistake, I think)

So, my problem now is, how do I get a players viewcontroller from a mutator, when running a dedicated server? (This might not be the correct question to ask, I can post some code, if someone asks)
    Last edited by FlyveHest; 03-28-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Mistake by me

MSgt. Shooter Person

It seems like my replicationinfo is never replicated to the client .. I have inserted a `log in the ReplicatedEvent function, and its never called.

Since I spawn my welcomescreen from this function, could this be the reason for this?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm going bonkers here, in my frustration I exported the scripts from RBTTNews and tried to recompile them, this works.

I've then more or less copy/pasted his code into my mutator, and I still can't get my version to work on a dedicated server (it works on a listen server)

I tried adding some `log entries to RBTTNews ReplicatedEvent call, and I can see that the function is called, but when I add the exact same `log calls to my own ReplicatedEvent function, nothing happens.

I'm beginning to think that this might not have anything to do with the UnrealScript part, but that I need to set some bit somewhere, maybe in the UIScene in the editor, or somewhere else.

Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated, i'm pulling my hairs out here

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok, I got a little further, it seems like its related to the size of the variables I want to replicate.

I have a string about 1k in lenght, but if I change this to a much shorter string (I haven't yet experimented with sizes), it actually works.

I haven't been able to find anything about size restrictions on variables that are replicated, does anyone know anything about this?