Before viewing our FAQ, be sure to read the Beta details and Unlockables information below. You can also visit the official website for information on Gears of War 3. We will continue to update the FAQ as new questions come in.
Please Note: If you would like to participate in the Gears of War 3 Beta discussion you will need to have your Xbox Live gamertag entered in your profile before you can post. You can enter that information at http://forums.epicgames.com/profile.php?do=editprofile
NOTE: Anyone found cheating and or hacking in the Gears of War 3 Beta may incur penalties such as:
- Getting banned from the Gears of War 3 Beta
- Getting banned from Gears 3
- Getting Banned from your Xbox Live account
Gears of War 3 Beta Details
Get into the Beta by preordering Gears of War 3 through select retailers. The Beta begins April 25 and ends May 15.
For those of you who purchased the Bulletstorm Epic Edition (on Xbox 360 only), you get early access to the Beta, beginning April 18.
Three new multiplayer modes and four exclusive maps will be rolled out during the Beta period -- all running on dedicated servers. This is your chance to help shape the most anticipated game of 2011.
In the Beta you can play Team Deathmatch mode on the four new maps (Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town); Capture the Leader and King of the Hill gameplay modes will be added later in the Beta period. Also, be sure to look out for a surprise event weekend that you won't want to miss.
Not only will you get an early taste of the final chapter in this blockbuster trilogy, but you'll also have access to exclusive content that you can permanently unlock and carry over to your Gears of War 3 gamer profile when the retail game launches on September 20.
Exclusive Beta Unlockables
- Flaming Hammerburst Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.
- Flaming Lancer Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.
- Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.
- Flaming Gnasher Shotgun Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.
- Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear. Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.
- Thrashball Cole -- Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style. Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.
- Gold-Plated Retro Lancer -- Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade. Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.
Q: Is this a free-for-all public Beta? What are the different ways to gain entry?
A: The Beta is exclusive to fans that have pre-ordered any of the three versions of Gears of War 3 from participating retailers or purchased the Epic Edition of Bulletstorm. If a participating retailer isn’t in your area, purchasing the Epic Edition of Bulletstorm is the best way to gain access to the Beta.
Q: Will I need an Xbox LIVE Gold account to participate in the Gears of War 3 Beta?
A: Yes. Both an Xbox LIVE gold Gold account and an Internet connection are required in order to participate.
Q: Does Beta XP carry over to the full version of Gears of War 3?
A: Beta XP does not carry over but the Beta medal and title, as well as Flaming weapons, Thrashball Cole, and the Gold-Plated Retro lancer do carry over if you unlock them during the Beta period. Click here for information on each of the Beta unlockables.
Q: What time will Beta access go live on the 18th and 25th?
A: We’re currently targeting 9:00 a.m. Eastern time on April 18th for Bulletstorm Epic Edition users and 9:00 a.m. Eastern on April 25th for Gears of War per-order users. Times are subject to change, so be sure to Like Gears of War 3 on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for updated information.
Q: Will the Gears of War 3 Beta support split screen play?
A: The Beta will not support split screen, but the final Gears of War 3 game releasing September 20th, 2011 will support two player horizontal split screen.
Q: What characters will I be able to play as during the Gears of War 3 Beta?
A: The following characters will be playable…
6. Thrashball Cole (Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period. To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.)
7. Prescott (CTL only)
1. Standard Drone
2. Savage Grenadier
3. Flame Grenadier
5. Savage Theron
6. Myrrah (CTL only)
Q: I have two gamertags set up on the same console. Will I be able to play the Gears of War 3 Beta using both gamertags with one code or will I need a code for each gamertag?
A: Only one Beta code is needed for multiple gamertags on a console. Once the Beta has been downloaded, any gamertag that has access to the HD will be able to play.
Q: Where are the dedicated servers?
A: If we make any changes people need to quit and restart the beta to be sure they have the same playlists as the dedcated servers. Please remember this is a beta, not a demo and we're always going to be adjust settings in the background to make it a better experience. There could be brief outages while we are making these adjustments. We are also experiencing heavy server load since the 25th and are ramping up accordingly.
Q: What is "Unknown NAT"?
A:"Unknown NAT" is just a user interface issue that has been fixed in the final game. It doesn't really mean anything.
Q: I see some people using silver skins on their weapons, how do I get those?
A: If you see someone using those skins, it means they work for Epic. Say hello! Epic Careers: http://www.epicgames.com/careers/
Bulletstorm Epic Edition Access
Q: If I got into the Beta by purchasing Bulletstorm Epic Edition, will I get to play in full Beta or just one week?
A: Bulletstorm players get a one week head start beginning April 18th and can play through the remaining three weeks as well for a total of four weeks of Beta play.
Q: If I’m accessing the Beta via Bulletstorm Epic Edition, will I need my Bulletstorm disc to participate?
A: Yes, you will need your Bulletstorm disc the full four weeks in order to have sustained Beta access.
Gears of War 3 Pre-order Access
Q: What are the details of the three different versions of Gears of War 3 now available for pre-order?
A: We haven’t announced details of each edition just yet. Like Gears of War 3 on Facebook or follow on Twitter for the latest information available.
Q: I pre-ordered Gears of War 3 before I realized there would be multiple editions. Can I upgrade my pre-order?
A: Absolutely! Be sure to contact the retailer with which you placed a pre-order in order to upgrade.
Q: If I already pre-ordered Gears of War 3 from Gamestop before the Beta announcement, am I still eligible for the Beta?
A: Yes, Gamestop will hand out codes to all fans who have pre-ordered the game.
Q: Where can I find a list of retailers who offer access to the Gears of War 3 Beta via pre-order?
A: Click here to see the full list of retailers, as well as exclusive Beta unlockables.
Q: How do I redeem my Gears of War 3 beta code?
A:There are two ways to redeem your beta code:
- Login to www.Xbox.com. Once logged in choose the “Redeem Code” option on the “My Xbox” menu and enter your code.
- The second way is on the Xbox 360 Console. Turn on the console then press the Xbox button on the controller to bring up the Xbox Guide. Select the “Marketplace” tab and choose “Redeem Code” to enter your code.
Region Specific Issues
There are three things that need to be in sync in order for you to redeem your code.
- Your profile has to be from the region you are trying to register. For example, a UK user can’t redeem a code for a Gamertag that was created in the US.
- Your PC or console has to be set to the region you’re in when you try to redeem. For example, if you are in Italy and your console or PC is set to US as the region, your code will fail to register.
- Your IP address must originate from a valid LIVE region and you must be geographically located in that region. For example, you can have a US profile and have your console and PC set to US, however if you are in Italy, your code will fail to redeem.
Microsoft provides the support for all Gears of War titles.
You can contact Microsoft Xbox Support by visiting the xbox.com web site at www.xbox.com/support or by phone at 1-800-4MYXBOX.
For other regions:
- Go to www.Xbox.com
- Select your language (this can be changed if needed by clicking “International” in upper left of the window)
- Choose “Contact Support” from the “Support” menu item in the menu bar
You will see the number for your regional Xbox support center.
Q. I live in Japan or Germany, own Bulletstorm Epic Edition and see a message that says “Gears MP Beta Coming Soon” in the UI. Will I have access to the Gears 3 beta?
A. Consumers in Japan and Germany are restricted from participating in the Gears of War 3 beta due to games rating issues in each country. This notice applies only to regions participating in the beta.
Q: I've entered the online pass for Bulletstorm but now it appears the content is gone.
A: Please go to your download history and download the content again. For instructions how to re-download content, please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962228
Q: Will the "Old Guard" Medal unlock in the beta?
A: It was not implemented in the beta but will in the final version.
Q: How do I perform executions and use the Tac/Com?
A: Please check the Gears of War 3 Beta Gameplay and Controls thread.
April 18th – April 24th: TDM on Thrashball and Checkout.
April 25th – May 1st: TDM and KOTH on Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches and Old Town.
May 2nd – May 8th: TDM, KOTH, and CTL on Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town.
May 9th – May 15th: TDM, KOTH, and CTL on Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town.
This post will be updated as necessary. Updated 4-27-2011