Default Configuring UDK as standalone for Architecture

I'm using the UDK to create an Architectural flythrough but I'm struggling to find knowledge/documentation to compile the whole thing together so that when someone DBL clicks, it goes straight into the map.
    I have made a build throug the frontend which works, but it goes through game menu, there is still a gun on screen, console access is still possible.

I need it so that..

A) When loaded it goes staight to the map.
    B) No Gun On Screen.
    C) No console on screem.
    D) NO Crosshair or hud.

I'm guessing its just editing config files but without knowing what xyz does I don't want to start, so I'm looking for something pretty fundamental with this one.

Too bad Epic did not put this as some kind of GUI/WIZARD option.
    Last edited by Jamerio; 02-18-2011 at 05:14 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok I made some small progress, mostly by Brute Force

I'll list it here in case someone else needs it. I'm not saying what I'm doing is the best way (I know it isn't), simply that its working for me. Not the way I like to work but time is tight and info is not that easy to find so just doing what I can to achieve my goal, though I still need some more info if anyone can help.

Bypass front end and go straight into your map.

\UDKGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

MapExt=udk
    Map=XXXXXXXXXX.udk
    LocalMap=XXXXXXXXXX.udk
    TransitionMap=EnvyEntry.udk
    EXEName=UTGame.exe
    DebugEXEName=DEBUG-UTGame.exe

Replace XXXX map name here located at \UDKGame\CookedPC\Maps (default = UDKFrontEndMap)

For quicker results (inside the same file)

+StartupMovies=UDKFrontEnd.udk_loading
    +LoadMapMovies=UDKFrontEnd.udk_loading

Changing the + to - will bypass the startup movie.

To custumise the initial picture on loading...

\UDKGame\Splash\PC

Inside there is a .bmp file called Splash.bmp, add your own image in and save it as the same file extention.
    I kept my image the same dimensions and file format.

Current things I'm still looking into or having problems with.

1) When I press escape the quit game it simply respawns the character.

2) The gun, hud and console are still there but I'm sure that's just a matter of time before they go.

So my main problem at the moment is quitting the game without having to CTRL+ALT+DEL. No doubt brought on by my crude way of doing things

I'll update when I can, but if someone can offer the following info as I have would be grateful.
    Last edited by Jamerio; 02-19-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerio View Post
    When I press escape the quit game it simply respawns the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamerio View Post
    So my main problem at the moment is quitting the game without having to CTRL+ALT+DEL. No doubt brought on by my crude way of doing things
    That is due to the way you have made it run your map instead of UDKFrontEndMap, the frontend is the Main Menu.

The in-game exit doesn't actually quit the game, but returns you to the main menu. So the exit just restarts the same level, since the level and the main menu is the same thing.

What you would have to do is setup your own menu with the console command "exit".

Quote Originally Posted by Graylord View Post
    That is due to the way you have made it run your map instead of UDKFrontEndMap, the frontend is the Main Menu.

The in-game exit doesn't actually quit the game, but returns you to the main menu. So the exit just restarts the same level, since the level and the main menu is the same thing.

What you would have to do is setup your own menu with the console command "exit".
    For those that care....

Remove Guns

Go to world properties
    world info
    no default inventory for the player (uncheck this)

Remove Hud
    I found a nice tutorial on youtube which works well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kk8RP579Cc

If you do everything I have you will now have the following.

run game (There is plenty of info on Front End/Baking your game etc)
    Replace startup image with yours (check for copyright)
    Bypass movie (check for copyright)
    Remove Guns/Hud
    Go straight into your map.

It basically does everything I wanted, but Due to my quick fix ways I cannot exit the game, a bit of research has told me is could be something to do with the classes, kind gent above tells me its exit/console command something, but at the moment I'm not sure how to do this.

If you have the time i would recommend you learn to do things properly, but I have only been looking into this for a few hours and I'm nearly there. So if it works, it works. Its only meant for people to run around on.

I have been given some help on the way so I'm at least going to write it all down as I'm sure someone else will need something along these lines.
    Last edited by Jamerio; 02-19-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graylord View Post

Thanks Graylord, looking at the less than elegant way I have gone about doing what I set out to do, if its easy to explain would you be able to give me a direct asnwer on how to do this please as I could really do with wrapping this up by sunday/Monday.

I'm nearly there, I just need the game to exit when I actually exit and I'm home free. If i had learned to do things "properly" I bet it would have taken ages to do what I have essentially done in a few hours.

My uses for UDK are for the time being very modest, so I'm really keen to get the config stuff out of the way and focus more on creating content.

Thanks for any further help, would be a big help if you could elaborate on the console/exit.
    I know the game will exit by bring up console and typing this in but this is not good.

Am I gonna have to use kismet for this or is there something else I can do quickly?
    Last edited by Jamerio; 02-19-2011 at 01:03 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I had it working in kismet in one of my older projects, there are nodes in kismet which can bind keys to console commands, look around for tutorials on it. you would have to find an OnKeyPress or similar kismet action and modify it to accept the escape key and configure it to call the exit command.

Quote Originally Posted by IllpIll View Post
    I had it working in kismet in one of my older projects, there are nodes in kismet which can bind keys to console commands, look around for tutorials on it. you would have to find an OnKeyPress or similar kismet action and modify it to accept the escape key and configure it to call the exit command.
    I just found another shortcut, I simply edited the UDKInput.ini and added or replaced x with...

Bindings=(Name="Escape",Command="Exit") and the game just quits out upon pressing ESC, which I can live with.

its not pretty how I have done things and not how i like to work, but I'm now happy with what I have.

Hope this info has been of help to others. Its not the optimum way of doing things but it works for what I need.

Many thanks to all those that gave me some pointers, inc blade on other thread.

This thread was extremely helpful!!

After having gone through many of this myself, there are a couple of things that have helped me:
    In World Properties, you can check the setting "No Default Inventory..." and this will remove the weapons.
    Also, for the enter and pause menus, there are some tutorials available on line that have been very helpful. Initially I looked here but I have since wandered off into my own thing. That one really helped me to learn a lot for HUD and menu-making.

Just a quick update, all the above still works, except you need to change the default game types to UTGAME.

Would love to see some presets into the frontend for such things.