Default UT3 will not start

ok so i recently did a clean install of W7, re installed steam and reinstalled UT3
    all of my drivers are up to date, i have verified all of the UT3 files and all is ok,

but when i try to start the game UT3.exe pops up in task manager for a few seconds then closes again, i get no splash screen no error messages no sounds whatsoever and after much MUCH searching these forums and the web i cannot find a solution anywhere appart from 1 who reinstalled W7 again.....which id rather not do....

can anyone help me?

MSgt. Shooter Person

tried to launch ut3.exe from install folder, instead of from the desktop shortcut?
    or set administrator rights for ut3.exe, or set compatibility mode to win xp service pack 2?
    i had this also some months ago, but i cant remember exactly how i fixed it...
    you could also try delete the ini files.

tried all that still does the same
    where are the ini files?

MSgt. Shooter Person

usually here

Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

just delete all the ini files, the game should then make new ones... if its not located there try look in programfiles/steam/steamapps/username/ i think here unrealtournament 3/ not sure though because i dont use ut3 with steam....but for css its steam/steamapps/username/cstrike or smth like that, and ill guess it will be similar for ut3, otherwise google are more than ready to help you locate where the ini files are

well i now have it up and running, i got so frustrated i resorted to a clean install.
    ill now go through and install all my programs and try it after each one to see if anything breaks it....

the problem lies with Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, after installing that UT3.EXE no longer loads.
    i didnt have this problem with KIS 2010.

Edit:

after more delving and info searching ive found that the issue im having lies with version 11.0.2.556 of KIS.
    apparently if i download version 11.0.1.400 the problem will be solved but i cant get hold of it,

ive mailed Kaspersky support so we will see what happens
    Last edited by pickledorange; 02-06-2011 at 03:43 PM.

to anyone else having the same problem, until they fix version 556,

go to this link

http://www.kasperskylab.co.uk/kavfil...1.400en_gb.exe

enter these details

user name: kavuser
    Password: Dfpt43

and dwnload the file, you wil need to uninstall the latest version, reboot then install the file you get from there,

when it detects a later version say no and 400 will install

failing that mail kaspersky tech support, tell them the problem and ask for verson 400

hey guys...

I have the same Problem and tried to fix it by quitting Kaspersky... It did'nt work :/ . So do I really have to downgrade it or do I only have the same problem but Kaspersky is not the reason for mine? =)

Edit:

I don't have UT3 bought from Steam. I got this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unreal-Tourn...7728120&sr=8-1

Banned

...ok so i recently did a clean install of W7, re installed steam and reinstalled UT3
    all of my drivers are up to date...
    and
    ...the problem lies with Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, after installing that UT3.EXE no longer loads...
    1. Instead of clean install make a backup. Install system, drivers and all you need (not to much...) then with Nero make bootable backup your system partitin. After that, when is sommething wrong, you can easly restore system - that take 10 min. No more needs to configure whole system - all personal setting is untouched - it's like restart...

2. Kaspersky Internet Security..? Use 'Microsoft Security Essentials' - is faster with better security and service. No issue with other programs (Win7-64).
    Last edited by VendorX; 02-15-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Also have the same problem and I quite kaspersky but still the game wont start, plz advise

from my experience quitting does not work you have to fully uninstall then reinstall the previous version

Quote Originally Posted by VendorX View Post
    1. Instead of clean install make a backup. Install system, drivers and all you need (not to much...) then with Nero make bootable backup your system partitin. After that, when is sommething wrong, you can easly restore system - that take 10 min. No more needs to configure whole system - all personal setting is untouched - it's like restart...

2. Kaspersky Internet Security..? Use 'Microsoft Security Essentials' - is faster with better security and service. No issue with other programs (Win7-64).
    1. thanks but sometimes i prefer to do a complete reinstall tough i do do this more often.

2. i find kaspersky very secure, moreso than MSE so i use it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VendorX View Post
    yup thats the basic idea, it should work fine on all versions bar the latest one, i used this forum to get my information

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=191690

and i have posted information in this thread of how to get the pevious version (11.0.1.400) i have done this, im running KIS 2011 version 11.0.1.400 and it works fine. the problm lies with KIS 2011 version 11.0.2.556

another plan ive not tried myself is to uninstall KIS completely and reinstall, whn the popup says a new version has been found say NO and install the version on the cd....

would be greatful if someone could try this and confirm or deny

edit: for refrence the version on my disk is 11.0.0.232
    Last edited by pickledorange; 02-16-2011 at 06:31 PM.

have you tried compatibility mode?
    - i tried windows 7 and it failed on me: The game crashed and i could not get UT Editor to work on a any 64BIT OS [stock items in my generic browser were always blurry]
    -i never tried compat mode
    i just use old OS xp 32 bit, you lose some RAM but UT is not that demanding on today's pc's anyway.
    is there a special reason you want it on WIN7?

Obviously Kaspersky and UT3 does not get along with each other. More info info on this is right here:
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=191690.

Maybe you should give Eset Nod32 a try. I have it on my Windows 7 along with UT3 and everything runs fine.
    Unreal4eva

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal4Eva View Post
    Obviously Kaspersky and UT3 does not get along with each other. More info info on this is right here:
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=191690.

Maybe you should give Eset Nod32 a try. I have it on my Windows 7 along with UT3 and everything runs fine.
    its all well and good saying that but when someone has paid for one they dont usually want to pay for another, specially wn it can be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by MDK4Ever View Post
    Also have the same problem and I quite kaspersky but still the game wont start, plz advise
    I had the same, it does not start if you quit... Seems as you will have to uninstall it or downgrade. Just read the posts :-)

Quote Originally Posted by d4s1r View Post
    I had the same, it does not start if you quit... Seems as you will have to uninstall it or downgrade. Just read the posts :-)
    what did you do in the end?

It does not work... I don't want to downgrade it, I will never buy a Kaspersky product again, that's what I will do in the end ;-)

revert to kis 11.0.1.400 solved my problem
    thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by d4s1r View Post
    It does not work... I don't want to downgrade it, I will never buy a Kaspersky product again, that's what I will do in the end ;-)
    why not? there is no difference i can see....and other than this one hiccup (which can be fixed) kaspersky is a DAMN good AV program....

Quote Originally Posted by MDK4Ever View Post
    revert to kis 11.0.1.400 solved my problem
    thanks alot
    glad to be of service

Quote Originally Posted by pickledorange View Post
    why not? there is no difference i can see....and other than this one hiccup (which can be fixed) kaspersky is a DAMN good AV program....
    It is blocking something which it should not block... Why should I use an older version? I don't know what is missing in the old version...

I'm having the same problem with a fresh install of windows 7 however I am not using Kaspersky, microsoft security essentials for anti virus instead. So I don't think downgrading kaspersky will work for me. The game I am trying to play runs on unreal engine 3 (Super MNC is the game). When I try to boot up the game from the steam menu nothing happens. Also I don't have a "My Games" folder anymore with the new windows 7 install whereas before I did, and on other windows 7 machines I do have such a folder. Any tips would be appreciated.