Version 1.00
    Last update 18/12/10
    Cooked with UT3 2.1

Filename: DM-Syndrome
    Author: DeathoX 8 (a.k.a. XYZ 8000)

================================
    Description

Pretty simple industrial Duel map created for the leveldesign.nl 20 brush contest.
    This map has 16 brushes, 4 InterpActors and the sky dome Static Mesh.

The layout isn't very complex, due to the brush limitations I had to avoid using too many slanted surfaces for ramps and floors, but it's still quite fun and has plenty of Z-Axis.

Don't expect next-gen graphics and effects in this map, but despite the brush limit I tried to make it look as pretty as possible. Some textures (I used Hourences' HourKraden set) have been upscaled a bit too much, but I didn't have time to search for suitable replacements.
    I had to rush a bit to meet the deadline, so there are some little bits that I would have liked to refine a bit more, but overall the map is pretty complete.

Enjoy

ScreenShots

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Download

http://www.DeathoX8.com/Maps/DM-Syndrome.html#Download
    Last edited by XYZ8000; 03-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.

God King

Looks great but Static Meshes aren't allowed afaIk. The only exceptions are weapon bases and interpolation actors (back then movers). You'd need to replace the dome with something else.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Looks very cool - can't wait to try it.

I've also added this to Mapraider's three mirrors:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5432

MSgt. Shooter Person

Top work. I like the layout and the visuals are quite good too. I'm amazed what can be achieved with just 20 brushes. Good luck in the contest.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you all for the comments.
    I have added the PS3 version for download.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Looks great but Static Meshes aren't allowed afaIk. The only exceptions are weapon bases and interpolation actors (back then movers). You'd need to replace the dome with something else.
    A simple skybox consisting solely of a Skydome mesh was clearly allowed in the rules:
    5. Respective to each version of Unreal, the creation of a basic skybox will not add to the 20 brush limit.

- For UT1 and UT2004, a simple cube brush may be used to set up a skybox. Complex skyboxes that contain more than a simple cube setup for these games is not allowed.
    - For UT3, a basic skydome mesh may be used to set up a skybox. Complex skyboxes that contain more than a simple skydome mesh setup is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinMeany View Post
    Looks very cool - can't wait to try it.

I've also added this to Mapraider's three mirrors:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5432
    Thank you very much, I'm gonna add those mirrors to my site right now.
    Filefront has been pretty unreliable lately, most of my files get deleted regularly (I think that they delete files that don't get downloaded for a week). That's why from now on I'll post a link to my website and then add the mirrors there, it's much easier than editing all my old the forum posts over and over.
    Has anyone here had any experience with MediaFire? I was thinking of trying that instead of FileFront, does it have the file deletion problem too?

Redeemer

Wink

Looks like me have some catching up to do after holidays........may try some before Christmas......why me talking like caveman?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the comments

I noticed that you commented on most of my old maps SkaarjMaster, thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback and sorry for not replying to it, I haven't been active online for quite some time.

Yeah it's been a while since I last released a map, I've been slacking off way too much . I do have quite a bunch of unfinished maps sitting on my HD (mostly Duel maps), I'll see about finishing up at least some of them.
    Last edited by XYZ8000; 12-20-2010 at 09:18 AM.

God King

Oh, seems like I was wrong with my comment about the skydome static mesh.

Btw, there is a solution for the "MORTAL* filefront files issue": You can make your files "IMMORTAL* FILES" by "registering" them on filefront. If you upload them they are just temporally on filefront and will be deleted when there have been no downloads for a certain time or something like that.

*reference to immortal dog

PS: It's a great map! It's a lot of fun and the design reminds me of a few UT99 maps
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

a very good brush work here, congratz !

my only complaint is the choice of the textures set, give a repetitive & how say that, too "heavy" or "charged" look.

Anyway good layout

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Btw, there is a solution for the "MORTAL filefront files issue": You can make your files "IMMORTALFILES" by "registering" them on filefront. If you upload them they are just temporally on filefront and will be deleted when there have been no downloads for a certain time or something like that.
    Or you could just submit to Mapraider and we'll put it on our "immortal" FileFront mirror for you plus our two other mirrors (one of which is our own free, ad-free, high-speed, direct-download mirror).

... And, you can also add all the other download/other links to the map page as well.

... Then when you have a new version of your map, all the old Mapraider links will still work and automatically redirect people looking for your map to the latest-and-greatest version. (In other words, no !@#$%ing dead links like on the forums here).

... Not to mention that your fans will automatically get notified when you release new updates or new maps.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

/me ducks and runs
    Last edited by FreakinMeany; 12-20-2010 at 06:33 PM.

God King

No need to run
    Will think about it when I'll finally release the final versions of my maps (someday when I have enough sparetime and no other projects running again).

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you for the feedback

I never knew about that "submit file" thing on Filefront, I'll take a look at it

I'll have to reupload all my old UT 3 maps (I doubt that anyone still care about them, but I'll take the benefit of the doubt :P), I've already started to gather all the old .zip files. I'm probably going to upload them all also on UnrealPlayground (which I thought shut down file uploads some years ago, but apparently still accepts them) and MapRaider (which I'll have to register to ). I'll also try MediaFire for a change. Hopefully all this uploading will allow me to not have dead links for at least a couple of months :P

MSgt. Shooter Person

Xyz I luv all your maps mate sure we are some players for ut3 not many but I love play maps like you had done. Thanks for this new map from you XD

Prisoner 849

Map looks pretty good for the limitations m8.

Good luck.
    Intel Quad Core i7 860 2.80-3.20Ghz, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, 8GB 1333 DDR3 Zeppelin Ram, Navida GTX 460 1GB, Windows 7 64.

Deinonychus the Raptor

Prisoner 849
    MPF Games : Founder
    zunnie.nl : My personal website

Intel Core2Duo 3GHz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ8000 View Post
    I'm probably going to upload them all also on UnrealPlayground (which I thought shut down file uploads some years ago, but apparently still accepts them) and MapRaider (which I'll have to register to ). I'll also try MediaFire for a change. Hopefully all this uploading will allow me to not have dead links for at least a couple of months :P
    I love Unreal Playground (I'm a donating member). Great place to upload. Just wish they'd fix the hundreds, if not thousands, of bad download links all over the site from the last site update If only I could have mirrored all those maps before they vanished...

Just so you know, MediaFire deletes files after inactivity. I've been going through hell trying to get all the maps from the forums here that were only uploaded to MediaFire and have been deleted. From their site:
    "For free accounts, there is currently no time limit on how long uploaded files will be stored as long as you access your account (i.e. login to your account) and your files are being accessed (i.e. downloaded) on a regular basis."
    Mapraider already has a lot of good reasons to register and submit maps to. And with v2 just around the corner, there's soon to be many more -- especially for map authors Let me know if/when you sign up. I'll assign all your great maps that are already there to your account so you can manage them and see stats/tracking.
    Last edited by FreakinMeany; 12-23-2010 at 05:07 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by zunnie View Post
    Thank you for uploading them to your site. Sorry, but I'd prefer to not have this map included in any mappack.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinMeany
    Mapraider already has a lot of good reasons to register and submit maps to. And with v2 just around the corner, there's soon to be many more -- especially for map authors Let me know if/when you sign up. I'll assign all your great maps that are already there to your account so you can manage them and see stats/tracking.
    Thank you, I'll send you a PM when I'm registered

Redeemer

lol xyz8000 if you think no one cares about your maps go look at the ut3 youtube demo thread (sticky in general chat). Its bonescraper demo after bonecraper demo lol

Congrats on 2nd place in the contest too. I must get round to trying out this map (already downloaded)
    This signature would self destruct but your anti-virus has already defused it.. :/
    Proudly part of Team Domination. UT3DOM v5.0 is out now! (Code Improvements + 4 missing maps return.)
    DM-Pentecost - DM-Beesting_SE - DM-Carnage Cathedral SE
    Join AussieUT3 clan today.

MSgt. Shooter Person

a bit over scaled for my style of gameplay, the simple layout is very fun in little DM maybe with 4 players, and a like the theme but not the textures. anyways great work.

PD: im your fan number 1 my two fav maps on all ut3 are remorse and bones

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by FragTastic View Post
    lol xyz8000 if you think no one cares about your maps go look at the ut3 youtube demo thread (sticky in general chat). Its bonescraper demo after bonecraper demo lol

Congrats on 2nd place in the contest too. I must get round to trying out this map (already downloaded)
    Thank you for the comment, the contest was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to partecipate again if they do run another one.
    I know that Bonescraper is still popular among duelers (and I'm glad of that ), I was mainly referring to the other maps

Quote Originally Posted by Nb_Zaibot View Post
    a bit over scaled for my style of gameplay, the simple layout is very fun in little DM maybe with 4 players, and a like the theme but not the textures. anyways great work.

PD: im your fan number 1 my two fav maps on all ut3 are remorse and bones
    Thank you very much, It always makes me happy to know that my maps are appreciated and that there's still someone playing them
    HourKraden is a kind of weird texture set, it's very saturated and almost all the textures are either some kind of trim or trimmed to the bone. I agree that it doesn't suit this map very well, but I had to rush the map so I hadn't time to find a better alternative.

Redeemer

well your dm's all get get a flogging here occasionally, as do a lot of dm maps. I know where your coming from though, its so much work for a map, you kind of think after a while, why bother when the community seems indifferent?

I guess we all download more than we chat lol. If Epic banned people off the forums for not commenting on less than 10% of the maps they downloaded, Id have been banned eaons ago lol

The content flow has kind of slowed down to a trickle of late though, im hoping to see more maps soon, even if i have to post more PMSL
    This signature would self destruct but your anti-virus has already defused it.. :/
    Proudly part of Team Domination. UT3DOM v5.0 is out now! (Code Improvements + 4 missing maps return.)
    DM-Pentecost - DM-Beesting_SE - DM-Carnage Cathedral SE
    Join AussieUT3 clan today.

Redeemer

Thumbs up fun and frantic map!

Interesting with the water and fire and...wooho......the sky is WAY up there. A small map with tight layout and plenty of z-axis. With the yellow floors you shouldn't get lost in this one; although, the repetitive textures in this small map makes you think more about where you are and makes it more challenging (except for Blackjack....I hate that b*tch). I like the frag sounds and lift jumps, but I would replace the biorifle and sniper rifle in here just as a personal choice.

The Sacrifice

We have a keeper here. While it might not have as great visuals as Cr4zy's contest winner DM-Saturation, the gameplay is great and addicting. Love it. I love HOLP maps in general and this quickly became one of my favorites.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the comments
    I'm glad that people like it despite its simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
    I like the frag sounds and lift jumps, but I would replace the biorifle and sniper rifle in here just as a personal choice.
    This swap would make the Sniper Rifle area more useful, however I feel that the area below the Thigh pads isn't as "desiderable" to go to as the rest of the map so a powerful weapon is necessary to keep the balance. The Sniper Rifle is a little more useful in this map than in my usual Duel maps since this one has a little more open spaces, but it still isn't very powerful.

Bots do not like to go to the sniper area much, but in an human match that area will probably see a little more activity since you can easily dodge on the 50A from there (and, despite the overdose of liftjumps, staying on such an elevated area still has its advantages)

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Cool Almost like this one.

Interesting fire textures for portals, the lifts are okay, very nice atmosphere, an instant z-axis play and the bots are very tough. At the most of it, the blinky yellow-themed textures are possibly the best choice for making this map fluently. This map is just like a funbox and totally great venture; the gameplay is finally made a competition and the frame rate is more likely as much as it stays up for less than 30 FPS. Seems like I'm gonna find the good location here.