MSgt. Shooter Person

Default UDK Mobile documentation!

Are you ready to make amazing mobile games with the UDK?!? Well, we're ready to help you!!

Let's start off with some UDN documentation:

Getting started with Unreal Engine 3 for Mobile may seem intimidating at first, but there is a lot of info out there (and lots of friendly, helpful people around here) if you have questions. Here are some links to pages that you will find useful:

UDN Mobile Home is a good place to get started; there are many links to different facets of developing for mobile devices.

Creating Mobile Content

• Creating Materials for Mobile Platforms is a must-read for making sure the awesome materials you make can be viewed properly both in the editor and when you get it to your device.

Deploying UDK Content to Your Device

• You can view your content on your mobile device using the iPhonePackager to handle signing and provisioning. Note: You must be a registered iOS developer in order to complete the signing and provisioning process.

And there's so much more where that came from- when in doubt, check Unreal Engine 3 for Mobile or UDN Mobile Home.

Now go make something Unreal!

Iron Guard
    Last edited by Sir. Polaris; 12-17-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Default Designing for Mobile

In your doc designing for Mobile, there are a few points that I do not understand. Could someone elaborate?

"In the following screenshot some tricks are used when textures are render out from max such as Z facing: "

Does the above mean that you do a "render to texture" a tangent space normal map and combine the result into the Diffuse?

"Some of the tricks used in Epic's products are to shift hues or applied a gradient map of colors to it and set it to soft light. "

Please explain what the above means.

Thanks!
    Last edited by whooosh; 12-16-2010 at 08:05 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is there documentation on exporting a scene from standard UDK to UDK Mobile? I can't seem to find any, and Switch Platform->Mobile Isn't working
    Thanks in advance ,
    Eldraco
    My current project:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=752462
    Code:
    BOOL isPwned;
    var killedplayer;
    var killer;
    VictorySequence{
    if(isPwned==TRUE)
    {
    killer.teabag(killedplayer)
    }
    }

MSgt. Shooter Person

"Switch Platform" simply restarts the editor, switching to either UDKGame or MobileGame game settings and content. You could also just load either editor using the Start Menu shortcuts created by the UDK installer.

The UDKGame and MobileGame editors are binary-compatible. That is, you can copy/rename packages and maps between the two content directories, and for the most part things will just work.

However, fully porting an existing game to mobile may require many additional steps. For example, you'll need to update your materials with mobile-specific settings, add support for touch-based input, etc. Don't forget to copy over your script code as well!

Veteran

With clever tweaking of the INI files, you can make MobileGame use your UDKGame folder .. though it's not clear to me yet if it will cause any significant problems. It doesn't -seem- to, but the mobile previewer doesn't work right for me even without any tweaks, and I don't have an iThing to truly test things on.

Is there a document that details specifically what primary differences are between the Mobile and regular engine? Like I could've swore I've read all the docs, and I didn't know about the Mobile materials settings until I read it somewhere here .. I may be missing things, though, my brain isnt working right lately.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you for the help, I will do that. It is just an environment I have been working on, so there is no code. Is there a specific process needed for touch input if it is just an environment?
    Thanks in advance ,
    Eldraco
    My current project:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=752462
    Code:
    BOOL isPwned;
    var killedplayer;
    var killer;
    VictorySequence{
    if(isPwned==TRUE)
    {
    killer.teabag(killedplayer)
    }
    }

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KONSUMIDIOT

needing a MAC to distribute? WTF? who really owns a mac around here?

Veteran

I'm going to guess the people over in the "is UDK coming to OSX" threads.

I'll be obtaining a used one shortly after I obtain my first iThing, I think.

Not much Epic can do about the requirement, if the software to submit to the app store only works on it.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by eldraco View Post
    Is there documentation on exporting a scene from standard UDK to UDK Mobile? I can't seem to find any, and Switch Platform->Mobile Isn't working
    Same problem, it ask me if i want to switch, i press yes but nothing happen, no restart.

That link to UDN Mobile Home doesn't go anywhere?

Also when you fire up UDK Editor, on that Welcome splash menu the button for "Video Tutorials" also does not work? Neither does "Cooking and Packaging" link... is that just me or is it broken?

B

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ffejnosliw

Quote Originally Posted by bsabiston View Post
    That link to UDN Mobile Home doesn't go anywhere?

Also when you fire up UDK Editor, on that Welcome splash menu the button for "Video Tutorials" also does not work? Neither does "Cooking and Packaging" link... is that just me or is it broken?

B
    This should be fixed now. If not, please let me know.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mordt

Quote Originally Posted by gegebel View Post
    needing a MAC to distribute? WTF? who really owns a mac around here?
    I'm a PC guy (just love my gaming too much) but I do own an Mac Pro which I bought for final cut studio (i much prefer this to adobe premiere) and also I run Mudbox and Maya on the Mac.

Not sure why we need a mac to distribute though unless it all has to be done from within xcode but havent looked into it.

I'm definately interested in this platform.

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mordt View Post
    Not sure why we need a mac to distribute though unless it all has to be done from within xcode but havent looked into it.
    The program (Application Loader) used to upload packaged apps to the App Store is only available for Mac.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ffejnosliw View Post
    The program (Application Loader) used to upload packaged apps to the App Store is only available for Mac.
    Can this be done:
    Develop the game on PC.
    Get a mac from friend and just install the upload app. And use it to upload the game only.

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWave View Post
    Can this be done:
    Develop the game on PC.
    Get a mac from friend and just install the upload app. And use it to upload the game only.
    Yes, that should work as far as I know.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is there a process that must be followed in order to transfer the files from the PC version of my UDK iOS game to the Mac in order for it to upload properly to the app store? Or can I just cook the game and save it to a disk and then open on the Mac and submit it to the app store? I am just trying to understand the proper pipeline for this type of endeavor since I don't own a Mac yet but I am working on a game and it should be completed in a the next few weeks.
    “A man with outward courage dares to die.

A man with inward courage dares to live.”
    Lao Tzu

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWave View Post
    Can this be done:
    Develop the game on PC.
    IIRC you'll also need a Mac to generate the signing keys necessary to provision your application for distribution. Unless it's possible to generate these keys via a PC application or Web interface, if anyone knows?

-Jer

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyStieglitz View Post
    IIRC you'll also need a Mac to generate the signing keys necessary to provision your application for distribution. Unless it's possible to generate these keys via a PC application or Web interface, if anyone knows?

-Jer
    Everything can be generated through the UDK's iOS tools and then signed on the Apple's provisioning portal.

Super Moderator

GameHatcher,
    You can generate an IPA on PC using your distribution cert (check out http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Distr...nAppleiOS.html for more information). That IPA still needs to be uploaded from a Mac however, but yeah, you can transfer it via USB key or network or whatever.

Jeremy, as Curious said, certificate requests can be done on PC and submitted to the provisioning portal to get certificates (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Apple...visioning.html). These can be used to code sign on a PC as well, only the final submission to the app store requires a Mac.

Cheers,
    Michael Noland

MSgt. Shooter Person

Big Grin @ Joat

Quote Originally Posted by joat View Post
    GameHatcher,
    You can generate an IPA on PC using your distribution cert (check out http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Distr...nAppleiOS.html for more information). That IPA still needs to be uploaded from a Mac however, but yeah, you can transfer it via USB key or network or whatever.

Jeremy, as Curious said, certificate requests can be done on PC and submitted to the provisioning portal to get certificates (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Apple...visioning.html). These can be used to code sign on a PC as well, only the final submission to the app store requires a Mac.

Cheers,
    Michael Noland
    I was scrambling to gather funds to purchase an iMac 2010, but will now hold off and finish my project using my PC first and get the iMac once we are fully finished.

Thanks a million!

Cheers

Lao Tzu

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NothAU

Quote Originally Posted by GameHatcher View Post
    I was scrambling to gather funds to purchase an iMac 2010, but will now hold off and finish my project using my PC first and get the iMac once we are fully finished.

Thanks a million!

Cheers
    Personally, I'd say if you're only going to submit to the app store, it's not worth getting a new one.
    I managed to get a decent iMac for $200. Not a gaming rig, but the specs are actually quite decent
    Gears of War 2: \\★//
    Gears of War 3: 17 (Console + EE)
    My Twitter
    _____
    Avoidance: A Knightly Duty - RELEASING NOVEMBER 3RD - Vote for the price on http://www.4amcode.com/
    TeamBPS Website | Twitter | IndieDB

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default @ eTrust

Quote Originally Posted by eTrust View Post
    Personally, I'd say if you're only going to submit to the app store, it's not worth getting a new one.
    I managed to get a decent iMac for $200. Not a gaming rig, but the specs are actually quite decent
    REALLY!? Can you share where you got it and the specs on it that are working for you? I just figured the best route was to get the newest one on the market, but I am inclined to use an older version if it will definitely do the job.

Lao Tzu

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NothAU

Quote Originally Posted by GameHatcher View Post
    REALLY!? Can you share where you got it and the specs on it that are working for you? I just figured the best route was to get the newest one on the market, but I am inclined to use an older version if it will definitely do the job.
    Picked it up on eBay (Hasn't arrived yet though)

Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 1gig ram, 160gb hdd, 17" screen.
    Not sure on any of the other specs, but for that price, it'll do the job it needs to
    Gears of War 2: \\★//
    Gears of War 3: 17 (Console + EE)
    My Twitter
    _____
    Avoidance: A Knightly Duty - RELEASING NOVEMBER 3RD - Vote for the price on http://www.4amcode.com/
    TeamBPS Website | Twitter | IndieDB

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up @ eTrust

Quote Originally Posted by eTrust View Post
    Picked it up on eBay (Hasn't arrived yet though)

Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 1gig ram, 160gb hdd, 17" screen.
    Not sure on any of the other specs, but for that price, it'll do the job it needs to
    Great! Thanks. I wish you luck. I called a friend that has told me they may have something around the same price range with similar specs. This is great news. Thanks for the advice. Take care.

Lao Tzu

A step by step tutorial about the creation of main menu like the up menu in epic citadel will be awsome, if you know somewhere find it, i apreciate very much.

Sorry for my english.

I'm solo-developing my first iOS game and am new to UDK. The game Im developing is a first person atmospheric horror game untitled at the moment. I was wondering if anyone can offer advice since Im running into a bit of a brick wall for adding a "Use" button to the standard "Epic Citadel" interface.

I've read the Mobile Zone documentation and tried utilizing Kismet-->Level Loaded-->Add Input Zone and have gotten as far as displaying the "Use" button exactly where I want it (below the right thumb stick.... but it fails to work as a use button to Toggle triggers, etc. I've also added the Mobile Button Access function to call the Add Input Zone and it still does nothing. Bascially, I want the Mobile onscreen Use button to work as the PC "E" Use key does and though I've looked to see how to do this, the logic is escaping me right now.

I'm guessing I'm going to need to get into the INI files to create the script but if anyone could provide either a sample script or even a direction on where to look for this one function, it's greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of my progress and hopefully contribute to anyone else I can

Where is "UDKMobileLift.exe"? In the online doc, it says it is in Binaries, but in the October 2011 release recently, my Windows searches stop at the May update.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by tdempsey2008 View Post
    Where is "UDKMobileLift.exe"? In the online doc, it says it is in Binaries, but in the October 2011 release recently, my Windows searches stop at the May update.

Thanks for any help.
    I think starting with June or July releases, everything (regular UDK and Mobile) is using one editor, the "UDKLift.exe", there is no more "UDKMobileLift.exe". I create a shortcut on my desktop and add " editor" to the end of it.

For example, in properties of shortcut:

Target: "C:\UDK\UDK-2011-10\Binaries\UDKLift.exe editor"

If you don't add the " editor" part at the end, you just load the game module or something.

What kind of physics can i use? Can I use Apex, PhysicAssets. Softbodys, Fractured for mobile or only Kactors?

Where is the online documentation for twitter integration (latest release Nov 29th)?

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by golden_gate View Post
    Where is the online documentation for twitter integration (latest release Nov 29th)?
    It will be available tomorrow.

You can see an example of using it in the CloudGame/CloudPC example.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SinDonor PSN ID: SinDonor

Is there any documentation for UE (Mobile) concerning HID (Android) or iOS7 controller input?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MobileInputSystem.html - This displays virtual sticks, but nothing related to connected hardware controllers.

I've searched and searched and searched and cannot find anything about implementing a controller into the Unreal engine - Mobile.