Default SlotNode does not need child node connected in order to play

Hi there everybody,

I've been working on a project to continue a mod for an older game into UDK allowing us a bigger distribution base. However I have been having a problem with all animtrees. Any slotnode only allows me to hook up to the source, not the channel meaning all upper body animations cant be linked up. It gives me this "SlotNode does not need child node connected in order to play" error message when I try and connect anything to the channel.

I did a search on these forums finding only one reference to this error message and no solution on how to fix it was given, instead a work around due to the fact he wanted to create a matinee sequence.

I am using the October beta as we didnt want to update in case of any changes that might break any coding we have already done when we are quite close to first release. If this is a bug fixed in the November beta then I would appreciate that information and sorry for wasting your time. If it is something I am doing wrong then please do tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I apologise for being one of those newbies who immediately begins asking for stuff rather than contributing however I can see no other way forward.

It's normal, don't worry. It'll work without.

No link is created and the animations are not played when called; that is not really working.

Sorry to double post and bump however I really do need an answer as to how SlotNodes work then. Anything linked with it gives the error message in the title and doesnt link, including in the November Beta. Am I using it wrong (as suggested by the this is normal post) and if so how? Otherwise is there some other way of setting up top half only anims in the animtree editor?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have the same problem... It just won't work...

Skaarj

Slot Node internally add animations to the childrens. You just pass the animation to the source and based on the blending settings and child count it play the anim in the proper child

MSgt. Shooter Person

And how do you pass the animation to the source? Just link it to some unused physics input or ... ?

Skaarj

Yes, you just link to the source, not to child

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok thanks, I'll try it out

edit: thanks kedlar, it's working
    Last edited by collix; 01-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

And what if the animation works in the animtree but in game wont and in the log throws "Animation not found" ?????
    do you want to learn UDK and you are a newbie?
    - first learn some basics about level edition
    - then do make Hourences Basic Game Tut. to work (dont go further till you make it work)
    - and only then learn the Mougli's lessons
    - official UDK info

MSgt. Shooter Person

How did you make it work?
    I have a function Fight (in my PlayerPawn class) and have added it to UDkInput ini file, I want my X to be Fight animation, and in the class for PlayerPawn I've added FindAnimNodeSlot(blablabla name of my AnimSlot), since I couldn't connect the animNodeSequence (Fight) to the channel of the TopBodySlot, I've connected it to my AnimNodeBlendByPhysics to the Flying input.

I've also added a testSlot function and when I type inGame "testSlot" I can see the particle effect but not the animation.

But it still doesn't work, anybody have a suggestion?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by collix View Post
    Ok thanks, I'll try it out

edit: thanks kedlar, it's working

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Kedlar View Post
    Yes, you just link to the source, not to child
    Could you be a little more specific? I don't know what 'link to the source' means. I am using The udkc tutorial "crash course on animtrees (video 8)" and the way he shows us to achieve it, simply doesnt work, producing the error described above. I can see your solution is obviously the one that works, but I guess I lack the all round knowledge to comprehend what you mean in terms of the actual method. I don't need a click for click walkthrough or anything, but could you tell me what you mean by this? I can code UnrealScript and I dont really use kismet, so I imagine I could understand it readily or if anyone else knows what they mean by this.. please enlighten me. Thanks

UPDATE
    Ok, I think I figured it out, got it working for my custom Pawn Class (Derived from UDKPawn not UTPawn).
    Here is how I did it:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    First you probably notice I put my blendby Slot Active after my STANDING posture blend, once I get standing working I will
    add for all the other postures the same way.
    So when its first loaded up, its playing thru the fullbody slot -> Idle/Walking/Running(depending
    on speed) and what we want is once we give my Pistol weapon to the pawn,
    he will blend the fullbody's idling,walking,or running with RPistol_Idle through the TopBodySlot....

Basically raising his right arm and gradually moving it about.
    You'll notice the animation RPistol_Idle has no AnimNodeSequences in the tree, BUT it is in the AnimSet already.
    Soooo how do we 'link it to the animation' hehehe.. I think I know now...
    In my pawns (PKPawn fyi) PostInitAnimTree..

Code:
    simulated event PostInitAnimTree(SkeletalMeshComponent SkelComp)
    {
    	if (SkelComp == Mesh)
    	{
    		AimNode = AnimNodeAimOffset( mesh.FindAnimNode('AimNode') );
    		FullBodyAnimSlot = AnimNodeSlot(Mesh.FindAnimNode('FullBodySlot'));
    		TopHalfAnimSlot = AnimNodeSlot(Mesh.FindAnimNode('TopHalfSlot'));
    TopHalfAnimSlot.PlayCustomAnim('RPistol_IDLE',0.15,0.1,0.1,true,true,,);
    		AimNode.SetActiveProfileByIndex(1); // 0 No weapon.. 1 RPistol
    	}

}
    Here you can see I've defined the slots and my aimnode that controls the bending when pawn looks around.
    Normally, once I Give the weapon to the pawn I would call the PlayCustomAnim on the TopHalf, Im doing it here to test it right now though
    I also set the AimNode Profile to the second one I made (index= 1) which includes movement for the clavicle, this would also be called after giving the weapon to the player, but again, im testing it here.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    IT worked! The pawn knew which animation I wanted to play and how to blend it with the lower half. I dont feel so silly now. I hope this helps the others who were having the same problem.

Happy Coding!
    Last edited by neurosys; 06-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    My blog for UDK stuff: http://udkoder.geekprojex.com