Hybrid View

Exclamation Epic Citadel has missing shaders on iPad.

After immediately and enthusiastically trying out Epic Citadel on my freshly bought iPad 16GB Wifi only (Firmware 3.2.2.) I ran into a rather major issue, it seems that one or more shaders are missing. After comparing it with Epic Citadel on my iPhone 3GS 16GB (4.1.), the differences were rather clear.

Here are the comparisons:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    iPad - iPhone
    The most notable difference of the three, the statue seen on the iPad has no shininess at all.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    iPad - iPhone
    Here you can see the specular shader on the iPad is missing.

iPad - iPhone
    It might be hard to see here, but when looking closely, you may notice the tiles on the iPhone have much more depth to them. Bump off-set mapping isn't working on the iPad.

Now I don't know if this is just simply because the iPad is still on iOS 3 at the time this is written, it might be, but I figured I'd let the developers know if they get the time to visit the forums, I do hope so. It would be a shame if at the final release, iPad users would have to miss out on these great finishing touches.
    Last edited by Hionimi; 11-25-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Updated title.

Bump 'n update: Bugs are still showing in iOS 2.4.1.

Which makes me wonder if these missing shaders were intended. Is it possible that, even though the iPad has the A4 processor, that this was done because of the bigger screen and 256MB ram intead of 512MB ram?

If not, then why are these shaders missing? Or is it just me? :|

MSgt. Shooter Person

Does this help? (time index 1:20 and 1:37)

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/epic...h-demo?size=hd

BTW for images you can use [shot] and [img] tags.

Ah thanks, that confirms it isn't just my iPad that is having problems, but still, would like to hear why this is happening though, but don't know if any of the developers has some time to answer here.

And thanks for the image tip, going to edit the post.

Edit: There we go, screenies inside the post, seems it indeed wasn't [IMG] but [SHOT], not used to that.
    Last edited by Hionimi; 11-24-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Aaaand it seems the same problems occur in Infinity Blade, also the characters have no bump maps. Come on Epic Games, what's the deal with this, isn't the iPad strong enough? :/