Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sonic B0000M

Default Dedicated Servers And Beta Coming To Gears 3 (Includes 2 MP Videos Info & Pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by therealcliffyb

SHABAM Dedicated servers ARE coming to Gears 3! Beta also? Sure, you got it!,
    Love, Cliff and Epic.

Host Migration? Yeah, we added that too.

Click Me For Original Info

In This Month's OXM: Dedicated Servers Coming to Gears 3

Subscribers to Official Xbox Magazine are due for a nice surprise in their mailboxes very soon. In one hell of a cover story, the mag details its findings from a recent trip to Epic HQ in Cary, NC, for an in-depth preview of Gears 3 multiplayer. Among the litany of revelations: In addition to a swath of online code improvements, we’re bringing dedicated servers to Gears of War 3 to drive a balanced, optimized, and thrilling online experience for Gearheads everywhere. For the full scoop on Gears 3’s dedicated servers, new match types, and more, check out the latest issue of OXM, arriving in mailboxes now and due on newsstands soon!
    Gears 3 Multiplayer Beta Inbound!
    You read that right—a multiplayer beta is in the works for Gears 3, giving you and scores of other Gearheads an opportunity to test-drive 2011’s biggest game before release. “What modes will the beta include?” you bellow, shaking your fist at the sky. “What new weapons will I employ in my tyrannical march toward competitive online domination?” Easy, friends! All will be revealed in due time. Sit back, speculate with your fellow fans on the official Gears forums, and keep your eyes on gearsofwar.com for more details.
    Info
    Gears 3 will include true host migration, meaning that if the person who started the game decides to quit (probably because you're beating them too badly), the game is designed to seamlessly choose another player to control the game without skipping a beat.

Peer-to-peer voice chat will also be handled by the servers,

Heading off what Epic anticipates could be some bandwidth limitations in the newest version of Xbox Live. Social matches like the ones introduced in Title Update 6 will be back in Gears 3 and will use the same method of filling in blank spots in the roster with AI bots

Persistent parties will now be a part of the Gears online experience, allowing you and your friends to move between games and modes without having to disband and re-gather after your matches end

And Epic will even be storing your Gears of War 3 profile information on its own servers to prevent some of the file corruption that has occurred in Gears of War 2

Although there's no precise date set for the beta just yet, Fergusson says it's scheduled for early 2011.

Despite the obvious advantages of dedicated servers and public betas, neither will necessarily make it easier for inexperienced players or series newcomers to get sucked into Gears online. So Epic has gone back to the drawing board and streamlined the multiplayer modes

Game types
    Guardian and Submission have been merged into a single mode called Capture the Leader. At the beginning of each round in this mode, each team is assigned a leader, and your mission is to grab the enemy's leader and hold him or her for 30 seconds. There are no capture points, just you and your captive as the clock ticks down. As an added twist, the captive has the opportunity to struggle every few seconds by tapping the B button. Time it right and you could throw off your captor's aim at a critical moment, or, if he's already wounded, do just enough damage to break free. In Capture the Leader, leaders also have enhanced tactical/communications capabilities that allow them to see enemy positions by holding down the left bumper

The new King of the Hill is a hybrid of Gears' current King of the Hill mode mixed with Annex. This one's based on capturing and holding ringed areas that rotate around the map at timed intervals. Enter the ring, and hold it as long as you can in order to milk points out of it. The spawn locations move as well, to prevent players from camping

The modes that have always typified that hold-the-front philosophy in Gears of War's competitive multiplayer are Warzone and Execution, each a slight variant on the typical deathmatch scenario. Both are back in Gears of War 3, but they're not in the spotlight. The marquee mode is now simply called Team Deathmatch, described as typical team-vs-team multiplayer combat with a Gears twist.

Each team begins with 20 lives, and they gradually dwindle to zero as team members are killed and re-spawn. The last team standing gets a point, and the first team to score two points wins. There are no locked spawn points, so it's impossible to camp in an open area with your back to one, unless you want a bayonet in your back.
    Weapons
    No new Gears game would be complete without an arsenal of ridiculous weapons. The Pendulum-era Lancer is a particularly brutal beast. Essentially a machine gun with a nasty looking bayonet clamped to the barrel, it's not as accurate as the modern Lancer, but it has a bit more stopping power. Hold down the B button for long enough while moving with the retro Lancer equipped, and your character will break into a deadly roadie run. Whoever gets in the way will find himself dangling from the end of your weapon, impaled on a foot of steel.

Rather than simply choosing between the Hammerburst and Lancer rifles as your preferred starting weapons, Gears of War 3 throws the Pendulum Lancer in the mix, too. And now you can also choose between two default shotguns, the returning Gnasher and the punishing new Sawed-off.

Destined to be both one of the most loved and hated weapons in Gears 3, the Sawed-off is slow, clunky, impractical and altogether awesome. Once you learn how to use it correctly (get in 50% closer than you think you need to), you'll be absolutely hooked on its amazing splattery goodness.

The only other new weapon that comes close to its ridiculousness is the Oneshot, the angry, menopausal mother of all sniper rifles. It weighs a ton, only has one zoom level and makes a godawful whining noise when engaged. It leaves you totally exposed, it's hard to aim, and it broadcasts your intention to fire with a yellow-to-red laser sight similar to the Torque Bow. But, like the Sawed-off, it's a joy to kill with.

In addition to introducing these the new weapons, Epic has gone back into the sandbox to play with some of the existing favorites. The Hammerburst now has an iron-sights zoom that makes it even deadlier at range. The Gorgon burst pistol has been re-named the Gorgon SMG and fires as an automatic now, suddenly making it the go-to gun for meatshield wielders. Grenades can still be tagged to surfaces, but the Ink grenade and the new Incendiary grenade no longer give off warning beeps when thrown. By the time you see one, it's probably already too late.

Those grenade descriptions may have made your mind start spinning with all the applications for Horde battles, but so far Epic is still staying fairly silent on what's in store for Horde. It'll be back in Gears of War 3, with some "fundamental changes," says Fergusson. But beyond that, nothing new has been announced.

XP & Ribbons
    New leveling system, which is leaps and bounds above what was patched into the second game last year. Everything you do, from reviving teammates to holding capture points, will gain you XP, which raises your level. But now, instead of being a meaningless number, your level will lead you to in-game rewards.

In addition to the overarching XP system, there are also new hooks built into Gears of War 3's leveling. Ribbons can be earned for doing things in matches like getting 5-kill streaks, drawing first blood, killing your nemesis and reviving a set number of teammates. Medals are mini-achievements that carry over from match to match and include things like getting a certain number of headshots or becoming an expert with a particular weapon. That, in turn, ties into Titles, which you earn for becoming specialized in certain areas. So if you're a slick enough sniper to earn a title for being an expert with the Longshot, you can actually append a special title related to that onto your in-game character.

Even better, your progress with all these little incentives is constantly being compared to that of your friends. So as you rank up with the shotty, you'll see little pop-ups telling you how you compare to your buddy. And that's not the only reward for getting good with guns.

Joystiq Review

Kotaku Review

IGN Review

Gears of War 3 Multiplayer Interview

G4TV Talkabouts: Gears of War 3 Multiplayer

MP Video 1

MP Video 2

A Look at the Multiplayer Maps of Gears of War 3

Screens & Pictures

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

OverHead Map Views

Weapon Colours

Thrashball Cole

Weapons

Last edited by Sonic B0000M; 10-09-2010 at 05:21 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jron310

Just read.. Made my morning!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ForgivenSorrow

How do we get IT!

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I3arbaria7V PSN ID: Oo_Celsius_Oo

Yes just seen it on twitter....my head immediately asploded along with the beta.....this is too much for my brain LOL

And you guys say Epic doesn't listen....bah...
    The I3arbaria7V Lives
    Favorite Chars - Clayton Carmine/Classic Baird
    Current Lvl - 84
    The loudest one...is always the weakest..

Redeemer

I almost cried when I saw beta, and everything read was so amazing!
    Emergence Day... Last Stand... The End. The Judgment Begins
    __,....--!--..----...,,,
    ||'
    --'''_;=-o|IIIIII|||}===
    ```/ /-';|==}|,:,:,:,:,:,:'

Support Environmental Executions!!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CottonMouth II

I just had a gamegasm : ]
    Bernie l Savage Kantus
    CottonMouth II #StupidSwag
    Top 150 CTL/Guardian 2.4 kd
    Onyx Count 42/65
    http://youtube.com/user/llcottonmouthll

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sheldon Cooper

I'm going to celebrate MY bottle of tequila here i come
    I suppose you want me to say I love you... but I don't I really really don't.
    "My Right is brilliant its like 1080P my left eye is horrible its like 240.." Bushido
    "I say we take off a nuke the booster threads from orbit... Its the only way to be sure." Ripley

Get Curried.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HaWgWilD09

Quote Originally Posted by Camoking48 View Post
    How do we get IT!
    We dont know yet...but im assuming you will have to buy Bulletstorm
    Quote Originally Posted by HaWgWilD09
    Rome wasnt built in a day...and neither is Gears 3

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sonic B0000M

I want to remember who kept flaming me when i said a beta is coming and all they said it's NEVER Going to happen hhhmmm lol

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: boltokPwnage

Incredible news, thank you EPIC. They work too hard on this game to let a poor online setup tarnish everything. Great news.

May host advantage rest in peace.
    alpha

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SpaceAce1976

Wow...

Dedicated servers will be used, but if they fill up or go down, players will be pushed back to the old way of connecting until they can migrate to the servers.

Read more: http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/1...#ixzz11gAbd716
    Amazing, just amazing...

Cannot wait for this! Epic & Cliff just shut this s*** down!

Boomshot

Did anyone notice cole in his thrashball uniform?
    I lold so hard.
    When does a man die? When you cut his throat? When you crush his head with your bullet? When you burn him to ashes?
    No.
    He dies when you forget about him.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Look at all those those scrubs playing gears it breaks my heart i'd kill to be those guys..
    "My Right is brilliant its like 1080P my left eye is horrible its like 240.." Bushido
    "I say we take off a nuke the booster threads from orbit... Its the only way to be sure." Ripley

Get Curried.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gackt x360a

Dedicated servers!!! Woooooooooooooooooooohooooooo!!!
    You fight like Nali!

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrimsonOmenGear

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic B0000M View Post
    I want to remember who kept flaming me when i said a beta is coming and all they said it's NEVER Going to happen hhhmmm lol
    I said the same thing but no one believed me!!

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kornfield

time to go play gears 2 and have a constant loop of the gears 3 mp videos on
    Give Guillermo del Toro the Gears of War movie Directors Chair! And all creative direction!

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jonesoobala View Post
    time to go play gears 2 and have a constant loop of the gears 3 mp videos on
    This
    10 char

Get Curried.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: King Mark XNIRX

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic B0000M View Post
    I got flamed yesterday for pumping up servers and saying how good they are.
    KING OF KINGS
    ▬▬ι══════════════ﺤ

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

I still maintain dedicated servers won't solve every problem..

We have a large selection of multiplayer characters that you can unlock, including Dom in his thrashball uniform
    Ehh what? lol
    Last edited by Drudgie; 10-07-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Get Curried.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambent Drudge View Post
    I still maintain dedicated servers won't solve every problem..
    From the videos I am not encouraged, unless they expand Horde mode to where you play over a campaign map I will probably wait until it's sub $30.

No use of cover, I still don't get why you spend so much time working on a cover system and yet everyone is just running around with very little reason to use the cover system.

Boomshot

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I EV0L 0NE I

Awesome thread Looks good..

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mr z0gs

wow thank you so much EPIC this will be HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!
    level 100

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kappa Face

THANKSS, question is when will we be likely to get this beta.
    *add my gamertag if you wanna play some Gears! - Kappa Face

Iron Guard

AMAZING, i love epic games
    signature removed by admin- over allowed size

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Is that the Queen with Cole hostage if so hell yeah

Get Curried.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Anarchopie92

Quote Originally Posted by Lambent Drudge View Post

Is that the Queen with Cole hostage if so hell yeah
    That's the Queen with Prescott hostage, I think.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jron310

I bet the Wings xp events they been doing is for keys to the BETA

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MMGears View Post
    From the videos I am not encouraged, unless they expand Horde mode to where you play over a campaign map I will probably wait until it's sub $30.

No use of cover, I still don't get why you spend so much time working on a cover system and yet everyone is just running around with very little reason to use the cover system.

The videos feature a lot of noob style of gameplay. Trust me on this you run around i will kill you

Get Curried.

MSgt. Shooter Person

mintttttttttttttttt

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CavemanzZ

Nice thread. keep updating it with all new information over the next few days.

Banned

anyone notice the huds ability to show you enemy players behind walls and such? Not sure how I feel about that. It's in the kotaku video, the first scene. looked like it was some new game mode where you have to capture the leader so maybe it was just the leader that shows, not sure.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kornfield

Quote Originally Posted by dnyce78 View Post
    anyone notice the huds ability to show you enemy players behind walls and such? Not sure how I feel about that. It's in the kotaku video, the first scene. looked like it was some new game mode where you have to capture the leader so maybe it was just the leader that shows, not sure.
    That's for the leader in Capture the Leader
    Give Guillermo del Toro the Gears of War movie Directors Chair! And all creative direction!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't even know what to say right now... I just read the IGN article and I'm speechless.

I was not expecting any of this. For months I had been complaining about how awful Gears 2 is and how EPIC never listens... but this seriously makes me doubt myself.

Gears 3 looks absolutely incredible. I may not sleep for a few months just thinking about this.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DAN8 KFM

I'm so excited! The BETA is awesome news to hear! The footage and pics look amazing like always. I can't wait to be cole! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by HaWgWilD09 View Post
    We dont know yet...but im assuming you will have to buy Bulletstorm
    I hope not
    - Mordin Solus

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YourDevastator

Quote Originally Posted by iGoDz II DraGon View Post
    I hope not
    i already was gonna get it, so i'd be nice.
    I coined the term "CMS".
    CMS has been increase to G1 levels!
    Follow me on twitter: @yourdevastator
    EGFC member 313
    U.S. Army

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cocoa Pistolero

It seems they considered a lot of our opinions on various aspects of the game. Here I am thinking a public beta and dedicated servers were both out of the question.
    Gearsbook | Recruitment Centre | Gearsbook on Twitter
    until I update Gearsbook :sadface:
    Chaps confirmed by Epic to be too cool for multiplayer

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BananasWithGuns

Quote Originally Posted by A Farewell To Arms View Post
    I just hope they don't pick 20/30 people it has to have a huge audience.
    They're going to have to stress test the servers. It's going to be a good amount of people, don't worry about that.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x Mordin Solus

Quote Originally Posted by Your Devastator View Post
    i already was gonna get it, so i'd be nice.
    I was bein sarcastic

I'm gonna get Bulletstorm no matter what.
    - Mordin Solus

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast