Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MSgt. Shooter Person

And some more screenshots regarding this new environment!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I like snowy forests!

MSgt. Shooter Person

UNBELIEVABLE, HE'S BACK!

Yeah, sorry, it has been a looong while since I last posted here :P I have received a scholarship in the meantime, so I had to spend a lot of time moving, getting used to the new environment and getting into the whole schoolvibe again. Anyways, it is about time for a new update!

As for some screens;

Hopefully the next update won't take as long
    Last edited by cridia; 12-12-2011 at 11:34 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I love the style you guys are rocking!
    http://www.heavenvariant.com/
    Indie Sci-Fi Side Scrolling Shooter Built in UDK

Development Thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/796543

MSgt. Shooter Person

And again it has been a major while. BUT I AM BACK, AND THIS TIME HOPEFULLY FOR KEEPS!

I finally got time to edit my game again, so let's hope I will continue to be able to. Expect a new game soon as well; a school assignment.

Anyway, this time around I decided to return back to my code testing environment and I will probably stay there for a while longer as well. This time I concentrated on getting the water mechanics finished. They are not entirely finished yet (since in this game, you gain the ability to walk underwater as part of a skill. Before you receive that skill, you will drown instead. That drowning part has yet to be implemented). What I am also showing off is the ice skill and, more specifically, the "evolution" of it (with whom you can walk on water). Anyways, currently reworking the interface as well and some ingame commands. Hopefully I will get close to a first playable soon.

@Zanrai; sorry, doing this all alone But thanks!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Aaaand a new ingame menu video! I have been working to finally be able to rid myself of the abomination I have been using so far. Not only was it ugly, but it was buggy as hell.

Anyway, the new ingame menu now is rotated through code, giving smoother animation (and no rotation of the icons itself). The 3 rings all have a basic implementation now. The only downside right now is that the Unrealscript <-> Actionscript interaction is currently pretty much gone due to the major changes, so right now you cannot actually select anything or even exit the menu. That is next on the todo list.

MSgt. Shooter Person

And a new implementation of something I have, for some reason, been putting off until now.

That is the dialogue system. I have chosen to go for a more old fashioned system, namely a speech balloon based one. There are still some major hickups and lack of features in the current implementation, but the basis is there. The bugs from the ingame menu have mostly been gotten rid off.

Anyways, the video;

As for the features I still want to implement;
    -game needs to be paused when a conversation between player and something else is opened. Or at the very least, the player should not perform other actions while talking with someone/thing.
    -dialogue window is going to be redesigned; right now it is too big and some graphical features are missing.
    -want to add various types of dialogue windows, like exclamation marks to indicate surprise or thinking balloons.
    -still need to figure out a way to have a conversation back and forth between multiple characters. The control is there, but I have yet to find a way to fire off a new dialogue window when the previous one got closed. Ah well.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wow, The menu looks perfect, I can't wait to play it
    I don't always program,
    But when i do, i choose UnrealScript.
    stay programming my friends.

MSgt. Shooter Person

And finally a new video! Took a while

Alternate link: http://piratesadventure.deviantart.c...flip-337163953

In the video above I have updated the dialogue system, which now contains more up to date graphics. It furthermore now sticks to the character location (not like the previous one, which seemed to move past the character) and has also got functionality for when the player "leaves" the conversation for when it is finished (a bug turned feature!). There are still some issues with resolution (when the resolution changes, the location of the text bubbles get screwed up) and I still need to implement question funtionality. I also need to get the character to stop attacking everytime you want to advance the conversation.

An other feature I implemented are the screentransitions, which are now handled through a "page flip", since I want the game to be an adventure book come alive. Still some hickups with the animation though. Next up I am going to rework a large part of the interface, since that is rather messy right now.

very impressive
    where/how are you doing the level transition page flip?
    if(levelloading){ playFlashVideo();} ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

No, the pageflip is a rather "advanced" affair (if you can call it that at my level). What is happening is that I have a flash interface element with two external textures in it, which are both getting filled with scriptedtexture instances (modified by a post effect). That is sent into flash, where I animated in such a way that it seems like a pageflip. When the page starts flipping, the first scriptedtexture recording is stopped, the playerlocation is switched and since the second scriptedtexture keeps on recording, it makes it seem like the jump to the new location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12