MSgt. Shooter Person

Lightbulb YoungBloodStudios:ProjectCulverin (classic FPS) { Coders+Modelers in high priority}

ANY QUESTIONS? SHOOT US AN EMAIL AT projectculverin@yahoo.com

Contents:
    News
    Positions
    Concept and story
    Planned Features
    Current Roster
    Misc. Updates
    TL;DR version

__________________________________________________ ________________

UPDATE:
    >>THE FIRST ALPHA VIDEO HAS BEEN RELEASED! THE SECOND IS ON IT'S WAY!
    >>THE TEASER IS ON IT'S WAY!<<
    >>TWO NEW TRACKS OF THE SCORE HAVE BEEN RELEASED ON OUR YOUTUBE<<
    A bit of the soundtrack has been released! It is viewable on Youtube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhYsh7VCOfw
    Our youtube page is:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectCulverin

And so we come to it finally: The positions. Rather than go through all the positions that are open, I will simply state what positions are closed. If you are not any of these, you have a fair chance of being accepted/hired. We accept all age ranges proven they show enough skill and maturity.

CLOSED Positions:
    Storywriter- While we may need one for the next project, the story is complete for the current project.
    Level Designers- This is not completely closed. What I mean is that if you can prove you are good enough, I'll let you in, even though I will be handling the primary level design.
    Matinee Artists- I will handle Matinee.
    Composer - Position filled By c.Bledsoe

Again, if you are not any of these, you have a fair shot of acceptance.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I'll briefly run through the kind of project we'll be working on.
    The project is called Project Culverin.
    It is an open world first person shooter set in 2045 and follows an ex-cop from 2022 as he tries to make a living in a radically changed world where machines have replaced the middle class, creating a rebellion to set the world back in control by the people, and not by the rich. Upon waking from his frozen state after being shot on duty in 2022, the protagonists life turns even more upside down when a high-value briefcase to the government (and by extension the rebels) ends up in his possession.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

In terms of features in the game, We plan to have the following:
    A campaign of at least 8 hours.
    Online play will consist of Drop in Drop out Co-Op that allows players to spawn as an ally or an enemy.
    Character customization
    Fully acted and voiced cutscenes. No silent-movies with subtitles (i.e Goldeneye)
    Desctruction. This is a mix between Fractured Static Meshes and Apex.
    Dynamic, context sensitive music- even in multiplayer. The music will always change to your actions, the ones you are aware of and the ones you aren't. The score will swoop up and down and tense up all at the right time.
    Dueling: Is there one pesky bugger constantly killing you? Simply yell "On Gaurd!" While looking at him, and face off mano y mano, melee y melee.
    Climb, roll, jump. No more boring fixated player movements. Go where you want, how you want.
    A balance of conventional and nonconventional weaponry. Tired of a games arsenal only consisting of weapons that are pretty much the same, but with slightly different fire rates? *cough*MW2*cough* This game will host guns that actually mean something to carry them, say a a knife that charges up and does more damage the farther you throw it. This applies to vehicles as well, for instance having a vehicle that can essentially "sidestep"
    Side Missions

Note that these are things I would LIKE TO HAVE, however proof-of-concepts have been done for most of these, and others are clearly proven possible. They are not guarantees that these will be final game features.

Who's On Board?
    Right now, these people are FOR SURE part of the project:

Tanner Woodward- Idea man. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but this guy has lots of great ideas that we could use.

Truman [prefers last name to be kept private]- Voice actor. I have no doubts about this kid's talent, I mean it quite literally when I say good acting is in his blood...

SomeoneElse42- Weapon Modeler. Currently working.

Cleveland Bledsoe Jr. - Composer.

Be sure to post if you have any questions and/or are interested in becoming part of the team.

Planning to join the team? Step inside.
    Members of the project will be split up into groups based on their job. Groups are as follows:
    Members of each group will stay in close contact with one another. If you do not wish to work in a group, you will work with me directly. YOU are responsible for getting the contact information of the other members of the group, as many members prefer not to have their contact info out in the open.

GRAPHICS DESIGN AND CREATION:
    SE42
    ^Seth has provided some awesome assets that will be used in game as weapons.

These are: Throwing Knife, KBAR, Machete, Fire Axe, Magnum MKII Revolver.

Pictures to come soon.

PROGRAMMING:
    Currently empty.

DESIGN AND CONCEPTS:
    Ray Jones 312 (aka Jon Sayer)
    Tanner Woodward (NOT A MEMBER OF THE FORUM)
    Sean Hopkins (Not a forum member)
    Joey Caizza (Not a Forum member)

VOICES:
    Truman (NOT A FORUM MEMBER)
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Update:
    Where did the "Revenue goes to charity" go? I have decided that this game will be freeware, as in no one will have to pay for it. This was decided due to the fact that legally it is difficult to protect a commercial project, and if I make it commercial, Epic gets a large portion of the money. I like Epic, but this takes away the "purity" of donating. Rather I would just you the players donate out of your own goodwill. After all, it's not really a good deed if you're being rewarded for it.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

WHERE ARE THE TECHNICAL DETAILS?
    I don't want to bore you. I want to get you interested in the project. Upon joining you will be informed about the technical details regarding to project.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

For the TL;DRers:
    Remember the good old days where shooters weren't just about stats? Step inside.
    Last edited by Ray Jones 312; 03-14-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Typo and adding content.

Skaarj

Hey, I'm a fairly experienced 3d modeler, and I'd like to join your project.
    I'm pretty good at making props and weapons, and although I'm currently untested at making characters, I don't see why I couldn't model them too. I have almost 2 years of experience in blender3d, and I've found that if I have a good piece of concept art, or a good reference image, I can make it. I don't know much about UV mapping and texturing, but I'm working on it. Anything else that I don't know, I'm willing to learn.

Some of my work can be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5412798...690855/detail/
    Last edited by SomeoneElse42; 09-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Hello, my portfolio link is www.eugeneivanov.carbonmade.com and demo reel is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHiD7DvVtw. I am a 3D artist and I am able to do characters, vehicles, and props.

Eugene Ivanov
    aleuus@live.com

MSgt. Shooter Person

A reply to both of you, all I can say is I felt a great rush of excitement while viewing your portfolios.

SE42, You could be a promising weapon modeler. Stick around, I may certainly have work for you!

Eugene, Your portfolio is simply awesome. It appears you can also do animation, is this true? Anyhow, you seem to have the right kind of style for this universe. Stick around!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Alright, Here's a rundown: Eugene is not willing to work for free, at least at the moment, so he is probably out.
    Se42, you are still promising.
    I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO NOTE TWO THINGS:
    1. IT IS NOT LONGER QUITE AS CRITICAL THAT YOU ARE A YOUNG DEVELOPER, SHOW PROMISE AND I WILL MAKE AN EXCEPTION.
    2. THE PRIMARY JOBS WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR IS AS FOLLOWS:
    -MODELERS
    -ANIMATORS
    -USCRIPT PROGRAMMERS
    -MUSIC COMPOSERS
    We will look for other jobs also, please remember that you always have a chance of being hired as long as your skill is at least nominally useful.

MSgt. Shooter Person

For the Music, I will try and get the Symphony of Specters on board. No guarantees.
    www.symphonyofspecters.com

Hi, this looks like an interesting project. Are positions still open? I'm still learning the unreal engine but I'm already quite good at maps and props. I'm afraid I don't have a portfolio but I could upload some stuff within the next few weeks (I'm 15 by the way).

Oh yeah, and you mentioned fully acted and voiced cutscenes. Well, I'm quite a good voice actor too.

MSgt. Shooter Person

AnonJim,
    Yes, positions are currently open. By good at props do you mean you model props?
    Be sure to upload as much of your work as possible!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Still looking for people.
    More content is to come in the near future.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very excited to see this post. Im 15 and want to make my own game. However after realizing that it would be hard to do on my own i decided that i should join a team and get a little extra experience in the mean time. Im a modeler and can also help with level design if you need any.(quite creative) I do not have my work organized or documented currently so ill gather some samples and get back at you about that. Id be happy to help put a game together with you guys. Get back to me when you can.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by michaelog74 View Post
    Very excited to see this post. Im 15 and want to make my own game. However after realizing that it would be hard to do on my own i decided that i should join a team and get a little extra experience in the mean time. Im a modeler and can also help with level design if you need any.(quite creative) I do not have my work organized or documented currently so ill gather some samples and get back at you about that. Id be happy to help put a game together with you guys. Get back to me when you can.
    Happy to see interest! Show me what you can and I'll get you started.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Jones 312 View Post
    Happy to see interest! Show me what you can and I'll get you started.
    http://circlepad.com/ThePortfolio/Homepage <- Got some of my work together on my website. Tell me what you think and if it works for you tell me how to get started with YBS.Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

That's a good portfolio, Micheal.
    I'm thinking we could use you as a music artist, "Without a Clue" was really good. Throw some Orchestral Instruments in the mix with whatever program you use and show me what you come up with.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to view your other music, maybe you should just put them on the Newgrounds Audio Portal and link me to the songs there.

MSgt. Shooter Person

What kind of game is blackout? An rpg/fps like what? Fallout, More futuristic like mass effect, or like oblivion but in the future. I dont really know what to base the music around.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It's an FPS that follows a linear campaign however the music dynamically follows the players actions. At the moment just make music loops that would fit the universe. The kind of music I want primarily is driven by Orchestral Instruments, Has Choirs every now and then, strong percussion, and some dubstep elements.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Jones 312 View Post
    It's an FPS that follows a linear campaign however the music dynamically follows the players actions. At the moment just make music loops that would fit the universe. The kind of music I want primarily is driven by Orchestral Instruments, Has Choirs every now and then, strong percussion, and some dubstep elements.
    You would have to show me a level or something for me to make the music. I really dont get the theme of the game. Do you mean each level has its own music? Anyhow this link here is to my music site. Its got some samples i drew up as an example. If they dont work you, you have to give me a theme for the game.
    Heres my music and my game music so far:
    -> http://circlepad.com/1035music/Homepage The samples are in game dev.
    Last edited by michaelog74; 11-07-2010 at 05:03 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Micheal, try to make something similar to the song Black Out from your portfolio, but make the main riff played by a piano rather than a bass guitar. For the secondary bass line have the same thing you have currently, only make the instrument a pizzicato violin.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you're still unclear, I'm giving you a link to a song that fits the styling of this universe.
    http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/244593

MSgt. Shooter Person

First post has been updated, for those interested.

I'm really interested as well, this prospect is much more put together than most that I have seen. I'm brand new to UDK so I don't know if I could be much use to the project, but perhaps you could use me for voice acting, or something.

Anyway, good luck with your project!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thread has been updated. News about a very probable composer coming soon.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thread has been updated. Composer position now closed.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thread Updated. Culverin now has a Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectCulverin

I'd like to give a shout out to our composer Cleveland, he created an awesome track for the game which you can hear on Culverin's youtube.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Two more audio tracks have been uploaded to our youtube. Check them out and tell us what you think! On a related note, a development progress video will be coming out this weekend. Past this weekend, we will make these videos on a weekly basis. Stay tuned!

i send PM.

Hey! is there a modeling position still open? if so i would love to join! i know 3ds max and Zbrush fairly well. here is a sample creature im working on in Zbrush http://youtu.be/f0zXlkDe2do mainly it was for a video project. but i can see it being used very well for UDK. PM me if interested!

MSgt. Shooter Person

First Post Updated.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Still looking for people. Composer position has temporarily reopened.

The Sacrifice

Default Level Design

Hello, I would like to offer my services to you in the development of this indie game. My name is George, I am 17 years old and I live in the UK.

I have been around the (now nearly non-existent) Unreal Tournament scene since forever, and have been developing maps for over 5 years. The various pseudonyms I have gone by include; "LtCliff", "CupMcCakers" and most recently "Cuplaccakes". I have never collaborated with anyone on a project and to me this seems the perfect opportunity to patch that gaping hole in my experience. I know you are not explicitly looking for any level designers as that is the role you wish to fill yourself, but populating an open world is a momentous task, let alone then turning that open world into a coherent game. It is for these reasons, alongside the fact that I am serious about breaking myself into the industry that I thought I suited this project perfectly, and that this project suited me.

As it stands my repertoire of skills includes:
    -Advanced understanding of Level Design Theory (Including but not limited to Pacing and Flow, particularly for First Person Shooters)
    -Advanced understanding of Visual composition ( " " Placement of Visual Assets, Lighting, Effects)
    -Advanced Knowledge of the Level Editor
    -Intermediate knowledge of Kismet and the material editor
    -The ability to create High Quality textures using Photoshop or other similar programs
    -The ability to create realistic, large and detailed landscapes, from height-maps or otherwise. (Using LD3T, and other similar programs)

The skills I am planning on learning are:
    -Modelling using Blender and 3DS Max
    -Cascade Particle editor

Obviously I will send you examples of my work if you are at all interested. The only reason I held back on pictures and the such, was due to the fact I know I am not exactly what you are searching for.

As a little side note, I have a lot of experience in acting, as well script writing if those are two skills you are at all interested in.

PM if at all interested, I really should throw together a resume at some point anyway.

The Sacrifice

This is a really cool game!
    Fortis Rex Rise Of The King, A Medieval Army-Commanding RPG: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...7#post29971877

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by LordNelson7 View Post
    This is a really cool game!
    Thanks! I'm honestly kind of surprised this got dug up from the caverns of the forum, but I'll take it.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I really want from this project. Big updates on this will come as soon I'm honestly able to bring them out.