Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Smile Unreal Tournament 4

is there gonna be another unreal tournament!?

God King

Welcome to the Epic Games Forums

We (UT fans) hope there will be another one (at least most of us). And it is possible that it will come out with the new Unreal Engine (UE4) which will probably come out 2012 or even later. A statement by Epic was that it will take 5-7 years until the next UE will come out and this statement was from 2008 I think. Afaik they already started with the development of the new UE. I just read that somewhere (can't remember where) and I don't want to rumor so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks.

But personally I would rather want to play a new Unreal or a faithful remake of Unreal 1.
    I need to take a break from arena shooters and games with a good story are rare these days that's why I think we need a new Unreal (maybe also with a UT-like multiplayer and co-op mode like Unreal 1 had).
    And if they are going to make a new UT they shouldn't rush and should optimize it for PC and not for a console. You can actually see what happened to UT3. The player count is now pretty small (especially because this game is opn 3 platforms: PC, PS3 and Xbox). UT was always a PC game and should remain one.
    I hope Epic won't make the same mistake again.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by arizvega View Post
    is there gonna be another unreal tournament!?
    The official word is no. They say UE4 will be not "next gen", but a generation after that. I don't think we can expect a new UT until they do a new engine.
    Last edited by Skred; 09-14-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

I've been following Unreal Tournament for almost a decade now and I'm under the impression that Epic would like to wash its hands of the UT series and PC gaming. I wouldn't count on seeing a UT4 and if we do, it will probably be heavily consolized and intended for consoles and might not even be released for the PC. From what I can tell, Epic doesn't understand why UT3 failed and/or is no longer sincerely interested in PC gaming. I don't think it's a hatred for PC gaming or maliciousness; it's just a business decision to focus on console kiddies.
    Last edited by Sourpuss; 09-14-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Boomshot

I think we'll get it eventually. It's just a "no" for now. It's like any classic series. They need to retire it in order for a triumphant return.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

I can't still believe that Epic MegaGames is doing this to us. I really do not understand why Tim Sweeney took this decision.
    I had a lot of respect for his work in Unreal Tournament and Unreal Engine but all is gone and him too.

+ I'm wondering if they care/read about what we are writing in their official forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly.
    But personally I would rather want to play a new Unreal or a faithful remake of Unreal 1.
    I need to take a break from arena shooters and games with a good story are rare these days that's why I think we need a new Unreal.
    +1000 (and 1) to that.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Whatever game on the UE4, EPIC needs to make a showcase game with that engine.

GOW? would rather see Unreal 3, if there is anything like an SP game with MP dual create and make UT4 combined.
    Home page on hold, stay tuned
    -megaboarder-

Iron Guard

Well... I think that UE4 is pretty close (to be announced, not relased ). It was stated that it will be relased when level of hundreds of cores will be acheived. GeForce GTX 460 for example seems to have 336 cores (well cores using CUDA, but i think that CUDA uses all of them). People just think that CPU's should have hundreds of cores. They forget that GPU's are multicored and multithreading processors

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    You can actually see what happened to UT3. The player count is now pretty small (especially because this game is opn 3 platforms: PC, PS3 and Xbox). UT was always a PC game and should remain one.
    I hope Epic won't make the same mistake again.
    I tend to disagree. The reason for the low player pop was the many early problems the game had. Not to mention for awhile it seemed Unreal was being Call of Duty with releasing a new game both PC and console exclusives almost every year 1/2 since 2003. They broke up the community and didn't really put any incentive for older communities to make the merge.

Most of Unreal's fanbase is now in their mid twenties to early forties and lives get in the way, that can also account for low player counts. The next unreal title is going to have to lure in new blood. Though you can tell the game Epic is heavily invested in now is Gears.
    It’s like “Hee haw” with lasers

Default Prob not UT4

Though I would love to see what UT4 would be like, I don't hold out much hope. I am someone who plays UT3 at least 10 hours per week and I see the same two dozen or so players all the time on 2 or 3 servers (at least in the US).

While a few "noobs" come in from time to time, I think they get frustrated because the couple dozen people that have been playing for 10+ years just cream the hell out of them and they want to run and hide in their closets. Not that I blame them. I remember the first time I got REALLY REALLY whooped when I was a semi-noob but thought I was getting pretty good. The guy who beat me, really beat the living crap out of me. At the time though, it was the best shooter out there. There was no Halo, etc. so I stuck with it and have been like a crack addict for since 1999. Unfortunately, the community (at least with UT3 - can't speak about 2k4 or 2k7 cuz they sucked and I didn't play them very long) is a small dedicated group but Epic can't survive spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a game in hopes that 30 people will buy it for $50.

What would be cool though is maybe a new marketing scheme for the game. Release the engine, teach people how to mod for free and let the community build itself. If it works, then a UT5 might be an investment worth making. Until then, I am afraid that UT is dying.

God King

(at least with UT3 - can't speak about 2k4 or 2k7 cuz they sucked and I didn't play them very long)
    UT2007 was never released. Parts of its content have been removed and it became UT3, an incomplete version of UT2007. I guess you meant UT2003.

About UT2004: Personal preference. You've to think about it this way: Without UT2004 no UT3 so obviously UT2004 was successful and it's still played a lot compared to UT3 (imo).

I still think a new Unreal and not a new UT is the way to go. If the new Unreal is successful there should be a new UT for the arena fans of the series. That's how I think. There's so much that has not been told in Unreal's universe like where the Skaarj actually came from and what happened to Prisoner 849 after his second escape from Na Pali...
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Boomshot

I never understood the whole "UT2003 is great, but not UT2004." I know they have some very small differences, but they are basically the same games.
    wut?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: indecipherable

Default UT4?

I personally love every installment in the series and I feel, saddened.
    I noticed that users online for UT3 on Xbox 360 was higher than PC and
    for the first time I took the leap to the console to play with the community

At this time we could hit the directional pad left and leave chat on. We loved it, but an update removed this feature. I wrote Steve Polge and he had said that it was "Due to host bandwidth issues." What I protested was that on Console, it's not about high end hardware - The current players enjoyed talking while fragging but a reverse update didn't happen and by the next week the player count had dropped 90% on the Xbox 360 console.

We also didn't see downloadable content for the Xbox 360. The dashboard didn't promote Unreal Tournament 3, I believe to this day the only downloadable content is a gamer picture and a video. At the same time, GOW2 flooded the marketplace with advertisement. In that context It's easy to see why GOW is now still a $25.00 game and UT3 is in bins marked .99.

I feel Epic chose to kill UT3.

Another note; Unreal, UT'99,Unreal the awakening; UT2K3,UT2K4,UT3..
    Where is Unreal 3? Why haven't we seen a third installment of the Unreal series? DigitalExtremes would do an excellent job pounding out a third installment and I doubt that they would decline the work. I think any third party studio with expertise in the Unreal engine would be willing to create the games at a low cost. Hell, If Sweeney sent me an e-mail I'd get my modification team cracking at it right now.

But Alas, Still a decline in the Unreal advertisement and while cornering the console market we've still yet to see Unreal, Unreal the awakening and other Epic classics to become available on Xbox live or the playstation network. You really can't help but think that it is a dropped subject and no longer a concern of theirs while the GOW series continues to prosper as it has.

I feel as though their will not be a fifth installment to the Unreal Tournament series. It saddens me to come to this conclusion as this is the only sport I'm good at.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    UT2007 was never released. Parts of its content have been removed and it became UT3, an incomplete version of UT2007. I guess you meant UT2003.

About UT2004: Personal preference. You've to think about it this way: Without UT2004 no UT3 so obviously UT2004 was successful and it's still played a lot compared to UT3 (imo).

I still think a new Unreal and not a new UT is the way to go. If the new Unreal is successful there should be a new UT for the arena fans of the series. That's how I think. There's so much that has not been told in Unreal's universe like where the Skaarj actually came from and what happened to Prisoner 849 after his second escape from Na Pali...
    Skaarj are specias as themselves, they came from other planets area, and that's it!
    Where you expect they came from? From the gound of the moon?

By the way, there is a custom map by Unreal Old Friend 2, called UOF2-Naipali...
    I like to travel it alone, and think about destroy evil on Earth... so spirtual, listening to music or to the wind sounds in map, and think who is out there (not in the game, in real life using the game)... it's so good thing.... I feel like I can fly from my chair and....

Anyway (yeah, laugh on me ), I love UT3, as it is, with the classical maps, weaps and that's on, right now, I'm waiting for a CSS community servers to back, and I'm boring, I'm downloading WAR-Synaps to take some props and put them on WAR-Rivalen, I like to rebuild custom maps, and make them to DM add power ups etc....
    Alone, myslef, on UT3, awesome! UT4 can lick you know what, I don't care if the'll be another game, maybe in Cry Engine will be AWESOME!
    Oh well, just enjoy the game, stop worry so much....
    Nice to meet you all!

Unreal Tournament 3 Details:
    I've played one year every day on this awesome game and after that I've played every some days, nowadays I play it only when I want to or if I download something.
    I'm also a map builder and I'm a pioneer of the game (I played 3 years since it came out).

P.S: Yes, I've Steam.

Need help, suggestions or anything else, contact me.

God King

I don't care if the'll be another game, maybe in Cry Engine will be AWESOME!
    Unreal Engine 3 is much better than Cry Engine.

It's available for the normal gamers with normal PCs, looks awesome and I bet in one - three years we'll have games with these graphics:
    Samaritan Techdemo
    This is Unreal Engine 3 at its best.
    Crysis 2? Pah, ridiculous graphics compared to this!

People should stop thinking the Cry Engine is awesome. Actually it needs powerful PCs to run and gives graphics that are a bit better than Unreal Engine 3 graphics.
    Then again, U(T) with Cry Engine? The chances to see this are 0% (and I'm happy about that). I love the Unreal Engine way too much and wouldn't like to see it being replaced with something else in the U-games

I guess we can't expect the fourth generation of the engine for the next years... However, I think we will have games that look like this with Unreal Engine 3 then.

Apart from that, I don't care about graphics that much. It's just a bonus. And honestly, I play so many old games (because in 90% of the cases they're just better) that when I played Bulletstorm I thought I play an interactive movie lol

Oh and Bulletstorm comes close to an Unreal 3. The style of the natural environment is similar, it has a strong atmosphere and even jokes (like the "you have 15 seconds to find out how to clear the way and you get a wish fullfilled") you crashed on an old planet and you go through a "scary" underground and spaceship passages

Of course it's not Unreal 3, but it's a good "placeholder" that has a nice replayability (in my opinion) until we get Unreal 3 or UT4
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh no, you really think that this is the graphics you'll see in the game while playing?
    Answer is NO, you won't, this is a trailer, what you expect? See the trailer for any game, and you'll see that the graphics are better then the game, 'cause they did this trailer with video editor etc, as we do movies of science fiction....

Cry Engine is 100% better then Unreal Engine, done, stop be silly all of you who think other.
    In other hand, if I would get a chance, to choose between Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3, I would take Unreal, less graphics, but, good game.
    That's why Crysis and Unreal are like in a war between....
    I prefer Unreal, Crysis is good for show you've a good PC (What I've)

UT3 is awesome, I like it, hope you also

P.s: Hope one day, CryEngine and UnrealEngine reconciled...
    Nice to meet you all!

I've played one year every day on this awesome game and after that I've played every some days, nowadays I play it only when I want to or if I download something.
    I'm also a map builder and I'm a pioneer of the game (I played 3 years since it came out).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Valujira View Post
    Oh no, you really think that this is the graphics you'll see in the game while playing?
    Answer is NO, you won't, this is a trailer, what you expect?
    Stop, just STOP. Stop talking, stop writing, stop responding. You're idiotic. And yes, if Samaritan were a game that is what it would look like while playing it because that so called 'trailer' is recorded in REAL TIME. As great as 'Samaritan' looks, Cliff said it still isn't good enough and they want to work more on Unreal technology to make Unreal Engine 3 look even better than the 'Samaritan' demo.

See the trailer for any game, and you'll see that the graphics are better then the game, 'cause they did this trailer with video editor etc, as we do movies of science fiction....
    Derp.

Cry Engine is 100% better then Unreal Engine, done, stop be silly all of you who think other.
    Oh my gods. CryEngine 3 is NOT 100% better than UE3. The 'Samaritan' demo looks better than any CryEngine 3 trailer ever released and looks vastly superior to Crysis 2, which CryTek claims is the best looking game ever created.

In other hand, if I would get a chance, to choose between Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3, I would take Unreal, less graphics, but, good game.
    LOL. I would choose UT3 too, anyday of the week.

That's why Crysis and Unreal are like in a war between....
    I prefer Unreal, Crysis is good for show you've a good PC (What I've)
    And if Epic weren't total dicks about PC gaming, Samaritan would be even better to show off your PC.

UT3 is awesome, I like it, hope you also

P.s: Hope one day, CryEngine and UnrealEngine reconciled....
    CryTek and Epic Games joining forces? No thank you.

Crytek has claimed that Crysis 2 contains the best graphics in the history of video games. Nathan Camarillo said that Crysis 2 has the 'best graphics you've ever seen'. The studio also reckons Crysis 2 offers a "complete gaming experience like no other". Crytek announced that they "are working to get the best out of DX11."
    This is all garbage in comparison to 'Samaritan'. The best we have seen come out of DX 11 technology is Samaritan and currently it represents the best DX11 has to offer and the best taking advantage of such technology.
    Last edited by Dark Apollo; 06-25-2011 at 10:29 AM.

God King

Ironically Bulletstorm has looks better than the "awesome Cry Engine". (I've seen both on highest settings)

However, seems like I started a war x Engine vs UE/x game vs U(T). That's not what I intended and the forum rules prohibit it anyways. Better to stop now

S l y .

Player Experience Specialist
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fl4k

Yes stop the comparisons please, this is a good thread I don't want to close.

Hi Sly!
    Player Experience Specialist
    Stacey Conley
    Epic Games, Inc.

God King

I don't want this thread to be closed either.

Hi Flak!

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know the Engines are almost same, but I talked about UT3 and Crysis
    The Engines almost same, but the easiest to work with, my opinion is CryEngine....

Graphics of UT3 are less then Crysis, I don't understand why you say others....
    Nice, Samaritan is going to be nice game, release date?

And yes, about the trailers.... maybe you're right, but I did not say that for fun, I saw trailers of games, that the graphics and game shown on the video, are not as in game as on them best...
    Means, video was edited....

Why not joining forces? They can do amazing things with them, silly humans....

Hey Sly

Flak? Who is he? You know him? Oh well, hope he's nice as YOU Sly, and does not use his admin force to do evil and blasphemously stuff....
    Nice to meet you all!

God King

Flak is the best admin ever! She is the complete opposite of the "evil admin"
    Of course if you're an evil, evil, evil forum member she will use her golden ban-hammer against you

Talking about UT3 you shouldn't forget that it's almost 4 years old and uses an older version of the Unreal Engine. Samaritan uses the actual version so I'm pretty sure that if UT4 or Unreal 3 will be in the making we can expect such graphics (although I'm not sure if I would want that).

Realistic graphics are nice. However, I would be very happy if the next U-game could have a style like this concept art. A bit comic-like (not pure comic-style), not necessarily "super realistic". UT3 has a similar style, but it's not exactly what I have been waiting for. It lost this Unreal flaire (talking about the design). If this Unreal feeling would return and the graphics would look similar to this concept art I would be very happy.
    This style would suit the new Unreal (Tournament) pretty well I think. Especially this Unreal feeling should make it back into the series, after all it's called the Unreal series.

PS: I like spotting spammers :>
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-26-2011 at 09:57 AM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Spotting spammers... hmm....
    Anyway, nice to meet you again Flak, enjoy your stay...
    I trust Sly, if he says you're a good admin, enjoy, nice to see a female human that take care of our small ( We're around 1000 people who still active on UT3, oh well, I'll be the 1 from 999 who will stay, with my lovely game....) community....

Release date of Samarithan?
    And why they chose THIS name of the game, names over? Damm, we need to find more realistic name...
    Oh well.... life are good.... unformatuly not too much...

CryE with UnrealE shall reconcile, we'll do awesome games.... no wars.... please...
    Nice to meet you all!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Samaritan is NOT the name of the game. Samaritan is the name of the police robot who appears at the end of the demo. The demo is not a game, it's called the Samaritan demo in honor of the giant robot at the end of the demo, because Cliff thinks giant robots are awesome or some crap like that.

God King

lol wut?

I thought it's called Samaritan because it was inspired by the story of the good Samaritan who found and helped the poor person who was robbed and beat on a path..? Something the others (who passed the wounded person) didn't. They just ignored the victim.

I mean, the similarities are very obvious: That poor, weak person is the person who was robbed, but in this case it was victim of some "bored" policemen. The "nameless Samaritan" jumped down from the building to help the person, without thinking of himself.

Yes, religion seems to be inspiring the storywriters. lol

Anyways, back to topic, this thread is about UT4(/U3?) and not Samaritan

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

No it's not called Samaritan because of the parable of the Good Samaritan. Samaritan isn't even a reference to the guy in the trailer, it's a reference to the robot. Anyway, about Unreal Tournament 4, it's not in development and it's many, many years away. Tim Sweeney confirmed this, saying
    Unreal Tournament is certainly a major long-term priority but we're planning not to release a major retail game in the series for several years
    (source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Unr...way-18815.html

God King

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that a spin-off series of Unreal is more popular than the actual game series in itself?
    Actually UT just started to exist because Unreal had a "poor" multiplayer mode with some variants of DM and coop. UT started as a mod, became a standalone game and after its release it suddenly became more popular than the original title!

But, let's say Epic would "repeat" what they did with Unreal, even if it was not intended in the past.
    It would have to be done when real futuristic shooters are more popular. Doing it now in the era of the "military shooters" would make the following idea as successful as Unreal II: The Awakening, Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict or UT3 were (all three are great games but they were never as popular as they should have been.. UC2 was a victim of being released at the wrong time, just to name an example. UT3 probably too, released at a time when oldschool/arena shooters are played by a "minority").

Here the idea I have since some years:
    Release Unreal 3 with storyline, coop and a "poor multiplayer mode", spark interest into the series (at first concentrate on the single player gamers and satisfy those who were disappointed with UT3's "story" and include a "UT-like multiplayer" with less gametypes, e.g. just the core gametypes CTF, (T)DM, (and maybe (D)DOM/AS for the ONS/WAR/(D)DOM/AS fans) for the UT fans so that their waiting time won't feel that long and so that they won't lose interest into the series that fast), directly after the release start with the development of UT but don't say a word and finally release a Unreal 3-based UT, promote it properly and you have a winner (I hope).

Of course this idea is not fully fleshed out.
    There has to be something that would spark interest into the series. I think people are done with UT, they want something different. This could be U3, not 100% UT, but similar gameplay with a real story.

lol I'm repeating myself (again)

However, I know the chances are small that someone from the dev. team that did the Unreal games will read it, but if someone does, this person should at least think about it.
    It might be worth a try.
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Eh?
    Sly talks too much, I a sorry in his name :P
    UC2 is nice game, but not popular, I think the most known game of the series is 2004...
    I see many people still remind him here and there....
    So, to our LUCK, the next game shall release, in, years.... perfect...
    So now, we need to think, how to make our game (Yes, it is our game, no one is here, only a SMALL VILLAGE OF BEST FANS.... our UT3 family), not boring.... I mean, I know all of the maps in my mind already, I know how to build maps easily, I don't know how to enjoy the game, in the start on 2007, I so enjoyed it, I played with bots for hours on many many maps and mods.... I did anything...
    I am sad not beacause the game is boring to me, just I want to enjoy it again...
    So, if I had a time machine, I would return my brain status to 2007, so I'll enjoy the game from start....
    I don't know how to enjoy from UT3 anymore....
    And I don't want to live him too, so I play some...times... but I know one day I'll say "That's it, for Christ sake, I can't! It's boring, I am sorry, I love you UT3 (lol so funny to read this as letters) but... you're boring and old... I made a small tomb for your birthday...."
    Or something like that....
    Any ideas how to enjoy it...

Ah! I think I know how...
    Sly, how much time you're on UT3, more then me? No but still what you're doing now on UT3? Or, you just play other games like I do?

P.S: Why the MP does not working? No servers with people!
    Last edited by Valujira; 06-27-2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: My reasons, have a problem mate?
    Nice to meet you all!

God King

UT3 is still a new game for me... lol
    Seems like I'm getting old.

Valujira, use GPing's colour ini tweak that gives UT3 as many colours as Unreal, UT GOTY and UT2003/4 had, go online and you'll love UT3 more than before
    Or, if you want a community that's "alive", the most popular UT game (in online player count) is UT99. I'm always finding a good server to play on (there are even "clean" Assault servers with default maps! ). UT2004 had its best days already, too bad imo. It's also becoming worse. Last year it was much better than now.

I loved to play on the Turbo Face mp.co.uk server, it's not that popular anymore though. I think people played too much Face over the years, haha!

I hope UT4 will have a classic and faithful Face remake, not like in UT2004, but like in UT3 just in space again with Nali and gothic towers. For UT2004 I had to make my own faithful remake since I wasn't happy with FaceClassic. :/
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-27-2011 at 04:26 AM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Multi player?
    There is no multi player that working on UT3....
    Oh well, you play now on UT99 right?
    Nice, I may buy/download it....
    Nice to meet you all!

God King

I still play all UT games, I prefer playing UT GOTY and UT3 online though. UT2004 is more my "mapping, modding and offline play UT" since I can't find a server that can give me what I want:
    Oldschool maps and map remakes and CTF!

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

So... you just build and build maps and mods?
    You think I'll enjoy this?
    Nah, I don't like build mutators all day....
    If the MP will work, I may play with you or something like that....

Why MP of UT3 does NOT working?
    But, I from time to time I play UT3, of course, the're times that I play 'cause I want to, sometimes just because I download something and I am boring :P

I guess I'll go back to CSS, and, if I need help, I'll back again, as before, as always (Dramatic aliens sentence after help humans and go back to space for years... )
    If, you'll help me to find a thing I can still enjoy in UT3.... I may stay a while....
    Nice to meet you all!

God King

How about the first level of Unreal 1 in UT3. There will be two versions, one by me and one by Lord PorkSword

Mine is still alpha state, more of a construction zone than a full map.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

lol
    Nice, continue in the work.
    So, again, I may go now, I may back in some months or whenever I'll need help...
    Cya Sly, open Steam... :P, we're good friends... I guess
    Nice to meet you all!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Snorkelbottom

UT could make a comeback if Epic give us plenty of content and variety, i mean just compare the number of maps, characters, game types and weapons in UT2004 to those in UT3.
    But most importantly the core gameplay needs to be improved, for example the GOW games allow players many methods for fragging players compared to UT3. And its not just GOW, many other games out there allow the player to do more, which just makes UT3 feel a little outdated. Dont get me wrong the gameplay is damn good, but it could be so much more.

PS - hey Sly old buddy

God King

Hey snorkelbottom!

More ways to kill enemies? You mean like traps in maps? It's something the new UT games lack, the classic UT and Unreal's botmatch maps had some perfect examples of "creative killing"
    What I think the new UT games also lack are easter eggs in maps. Take the official DM-Mojo remake in UT99 as an example, it has the U-logo hidden at the dead end. In the map DM-Codex (of Wisdom) you had an easter egg where you just had to shoot four lamps and a wall opened showing a portrait of Cliff with a text that changed when shooting him, however, if you stood there for too long the wall closed and the room became like the pressure chamber in DM-Pressure. And then again, Pressure had the pressure chamber, that was a hell lot of fun! DM-Fractal had the reactor core, the warpzones and the trap that made you fall through the bottom and appear at the ceiling falling in the core (but I managed to miss it several times so I just fell through that trap and getting killed by it due to the speed that made it unable for you to steer your character lol). DM-Fith (Fire In The Hole, Unreal 1) hadthe rector core and the numbers that, when you did everything right, revealed a underground way with a damage amp (if I recall correctly). I could continue and fill whole sites just with those nice easter eggs and traps in former UT and Unreal botmatch maps.
    PS: Don't forget the official Cybrosis remake for UT99 and the original from Unreal 1's botmatch mode with its lasers and laser trap.
    Last edited by Sly.; 07-19-2011 at 08:49 AM.

S l y .

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Snorkelbottom

traps in maps are good, but i meant within the actual core gameplay such as reloading, melee attacks or something new that we havent seen before. I'll elaborate...

In GOW there is nothing more satisfying than sneaking up behind a player and chainsawing them in half.

In FEAR it is damn fun engaging the slo-mo and jumpkicking the enemy into a wall, hearing them scream their profanity in slo-mo.

In Halo it is funny and strangely theraputic to weapon butt the little guys while they sleep.

Bulletstorm, with all of its creative kills.

...The list goes on and on, yet in UT3 all you can really do is shoot, which is good and all but some choice, variety and creativity in how you can frag players and bots would bring the franchise up to date with its competition. Although of course it would have to suit UT's style and atmosphere.

I would love to see a UT4 and a U3 but the thing I would really want to be added is a "leveling" system. I'm not talking about a CoD type leveling but something with progression. I really felt like that was missing from UT3 (or all of them for that matter). I remember Cliff B. talking about how important unlocks are for games these days and I think that would really be cool for UT. I loved the old maps and if they were to make a new UT I would want to see them back. Especially the one in outerspace which I'm pretty sure has been in all of the UTs. But with that said I want to see more modern maps, it seems games happen on ships a lot which I think would make a good DM map (with physics moving the ship back and forth). One thing I liked was the secondary attacks but I think in order to be secsesful those would need to go. I also wouldn't mind waiting for UE4 so we could have Samaritan type graphics in UT. Oh and Apex to but thats aside the point.

Iron Guard

@sLY et all - I think making the next Unreal* game in the way you describe would be a major mistep. Single player games and multiplayer games really need separation to be quality releases. UT has always been the bread and butter of the Unreal series and the way of re-capturing the heart and souls of hardcore fans is to release a UT finally done right in every way possible (seems like beating a dead horse but it still stands true), and live up to the original without outstanding bugs, lack of thorough alpha/beta testing, and a GUI / built-in options to envy other games (2k4 was nearly golden in this respect), among many other things which the veteran competetive community found lacking or broken with UT3, atleast in gameplay respect, as I think it did need improvements. If Epic would embrace the old-schoolers who have been around and listen to our input, I believe they can make a highly successful UT4. I would be more than willing to give tons of dedication to helping make that game what I know it should be based on my experience/connection with the competetive community for almost 9 years and thousands of game hours. But it seems the only opportunity we were given in U3T was a Beta demo just short of the official release. When I look at other games I've alpha/beta tested, or am testing (like Tribes Ascend, QL), I see lots of direct interaction with the developers, and or feedback responses based on community discussions that I really wish Epic would do in the same way.

@ aaronfeld- leveling system - wouldn't work for what UT is. There's never been anything wrong with the stock and barrel way that UT has done it for over a decade that would benefit from leveling up. UT has always been about raw combat skills and tactics and that would really break the game especially in a duel aspect (because UT really is a duel game, not just team). If you turn the game into an unlock system for multi you're going to angry an awefully lot of people, I can gaurantee you that.

@aaronfeld - Removing secondary fire - not a good idea. This is what makes UT stand apart from other games and quite frankly, amazing. You would ruin the whole idea of a shock combo if you did that as well, and it is one of the most unique combat innovations that Epic has a solid take on that no other game does, which should remain.

As much as I love a good single player game, I think only half doing it with a 'poor' multiplayer is a bad business decision in this day and age. If there is to be a multiplayer, it deserves to be done right and should take priority for the next Unreal release of any kind.

If I could just spend even 15 minutes with someone who has design direction with UT just letting them hear out my suggestions, that would be worth every second.
    Last edited by xi0s; 07-29-2011 at 01:13 AM.
    irc.globalgamers.org #2k4ctf | UT2004 Grail - goo.gl/y1yNSp

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast