Administrator

Default Epic Citadel Released!

Epic Games Brings Unreal Engine 3 to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

‘Epic Citadel,’ world’s First UE3-Powered iOS App, Now Available on App Store

CARY, N.C. – September 1, 2010 – Epic Games, Inc. today announced its “Epic Citadel” App is now available from the App Store. The app showcases the technical capabilities of Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine 3 on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. In “Epic Citadel,” players navigate a fictional castle realm using simple controls and the innovative Multi-Touch user interface. “Epic Citadel” also features stunning visuals and special effects, with an environment inspired by “Project Sword,” Epic’s newest game.

“Project Sword” is the codename of the all-new action role-playing adventure game exclusively for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch developed by Epic’s critically acclaimed studio, Chair Entertainment, creators of the Xbox LIVE Arcade games of the year “Undertow” and “Shadow Complex.” Scheduled for release later this year, “Project Sword” will bring unrivaled visual fidelity and a highly accessible gameplay experience to the iOS platform.

“This is a testament to the sheer power of iOS devices as up until now, Unreal Engine 3 has typically been used to create high-end gaming experiences on game consoles and computers,” said Epic Games President Dr. Michael Capps. “And we’re not just keeping it to ourselves. We're putting Unreal Engine 3 technology into the hands of game developers all over the world, and we can't wait to see the apps they make next.”

A small team of Epic’s programmers, artists and testers created “Epic Citadel” in just eight weeks of development time. Unreal Engine 3 is scalable yet packed with the same tools hundreds of thousands of users work with to create games, simulations and animated content. Features include:

∙ Amazing visuals. “Epic Citadel” pushes the envelope for stunning visuals on iOS devices. Through the latest advances in Unreal Engine 3 technology, the application delivers unrivaled graphics and special effects that immerse players in the kingdom’s grounds.
    ∙ Bump offset mapping. Also known as parallax mapping or relief mapping, bump offset mapping enhances the visual appearance of stone walls and rocks providing intricate textures.
    ∙ Normal mapped architecture. Brings stunning detail to bricks and ground surfaces within the environment.
    ∙ Texture blending with painted weight maps. Refines nuances on roads and terrain, making them rich and lifelike.
    ∙ Global illumination. Unreal Engine 3’s built-in global illumination system, Unreal Lightmass, provides realistic lighting and shadows with minimal development resources.
    ∙ Dynamic specular lighting with texture masks. Helps create authentic cobblestone roads and vivid reflective marble surfaces, while lens flares and light coronas add dramatic emphasis when panning across light sources.
    ∙ Real-time reflections and animation. Environment mapping enables real-time reflections on objects such as the statue inside the cathedral. Dynamic movements of trees and banners are made possible through the use of vertex deformation and skeletal animation.
    ∙ Free tools. Epic’s Unreal Development Kit (UDK), available for free download at www.udk.com/download, ships with the same tools and technologies used to create Epic Citadel.

“Epic Citadel” is available for free from the App Store on iPad, Phone and iPod touch or from http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-citadel/id388888815.

For more information about “Epic Citadel,” visit www.epic-citadel.com.

About Unreal Engine 3
    The award-winning Unreal Engine is known for its cutting-edge graphics and best-of-breed toolset. Unreal Engine 3 maintains those features in addition to multi-core processor support, Xbox 360« and PlayStation«3 optimizations, massive world support and a highly mature tool pipeline. Unreal Engine 3's consistently evolving toolset is designed to accelerate developers' productivity for PC and console games, mobile games and applications, training simulations, visualizations and real-time 3D animation. Additional information on Unreal Engine 3 can be obtained through the Unreal Technology website at www.unrealtechnology.com.

About Chair Entertainment
    Founded in 2005, Chair Entertainment Group is a video game production company committed to creating blockbuster entertainment franchises through development of its original intellectual properties. In 2006, Chair launched its first original property, “Empire,” as a bestselling novel written by Orson Scott Card. In 2007, Chair launched “Undertow,” an award-winning underwater action shooter for Xbox LIVE Arcade. Set in the universe of “Empire,” Chair’s 2009 release for Xbox LIVE Arcade, “Shadow Complex,” was awarded Best Downloadable Game of the Year by multiple media outlets. Additional information about Chair can be obtained through the Chair Entertainment website at www.chairentertainment.com.

About Epic Games
    Epic Games, Inc., based in Cary, NC and established in 1991, develops cutting-edge games and cross-platform game engine technology. The company has created multiple million-selling, award-winning titles in its “Unreal” series, including “Unreal Tournament 3” for PC, PlayStation«3 and Xbox 360«. Epic’s "Gears of War" franchise has sold more than 12 million copies worldwide and won more than 30 Game of the Year awards. Epic's Unreal Engine 3 is the four-time winner of and Hall of Fame inductee for Game Developer magazine’s Best Engine Front Line Award. Unreal Engine 3 has also been recognized as the number one game engine by Develop magazine. Additional information about Epic can be obtained through the Epic Games website at www.epicgames.com.

Epic, Epic Games, Gears of War, Unreal, Unreal Development Kit, Unreal Editor, Unreal Engine, Unreal Lightmass and Unreal Tournament are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. Chair, Shadow Complex and Undertow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Chair Entertainment LLC in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

###
    Last edited by Flak; 09-01-2010 at 02:01 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Trying it now on Touch 3G, and so far it really looks great.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any reason this is free? I guess Epic could've made atleast $5 million dollars even if it was priced at 99c.

Any plans to port the game/engine to Windows Phone 7?

Default iPad?

Downloaded and played with the demo. This is outstanding!!

I canĺt wait to buy it and play. How soon will it be released?

Any reason this is free? I guess Epic could've made atleast $5 million dollars even if it was priced at 99c.
    It's a technological demo, there's no game in it..

Any plans to port the game/engine to Windows Phone 7?
    I think you gonna see this engine on iOS/WM7/Android..
    Maybe not ^_^
    But there no reason..
    Except that WM7 is DirectX "mobile" based I think, and iOS OpenGL based OS, like Android.

Prisoner 849

Checked it out earlier on my iTouch 3rd Gen. Very nice!!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
    Unreal Old Friends
    Legacy

Absolutely incredible guys! Well done!

Now please release a game with it soon and don't leave us waiting for a year.

Default A peaceful adventure game?

I hope this will lead in a peaceful adventure game. What are your plans?

WOW! Absolutely beautiful! This reminds me of the first time I walked out of the crashed spacecraft and into the field with that magnificent waterfall early in the first episode of Unreal. I'm eagerly awaiting the first iPad game that uses this engine!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bacon Tornadoe

im kind of suprised they didnt make anything for windows phone 7. microsoft will be angry.....
    Marcus' pickup line: ITS A GIANT WORM!!!!!!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AutoPsychotic

Default Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Reactor View Post
    WOW! Absolutely beautiful! This reminds me of the first time I walked out of the crashed spacecraft and into the field with that magnificent waterfall early in the first episode of Unreal. I'm eagerly awaiting the first iPad game that uses this engine!
    The magic of that moment when I first stepped out of the Vortex Rikers onto Na Pali has as yet been unsurpassed in any other experience I've had with an Epic game to date. Could this be the new title to bring back that surreal (or Unreal?) experience? If so, we need to have a version of this new game on a Microsoft platform as well. Too many Epic Games fans don't have an "i"-device for them to be neglected. Especially since the vast majority of the market for a new game like this is on the X-Box 360 and PC.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I was completely blown away, seriously did not think my iphone was capable of such graphical fidelity.

For the first time I find that I can walk somewhere in a game and take in the surroundings without strafing and constantly thinking about my location. Put simply the effect was two fold considering the amount of polish and detail that went into this tech demo.

Just a friendly suggestion on the tap navigation. In the future game have a popout semi-translucent overlay map on which you can set a waypoint and integrate a pathfinding algorithm to navigate. With this a player could truly observe his/her surroundings. Its brilliant already, but with a few tweaks the control design will influence future games on the iphone.

Take it one step further and you could draw a line of attack on the enemy at the onset of engagement. Overhead popout in the style of the map of course. That would leave the player to concentrate on the previously mentioned swipe attacks while still bringing a dynamic sense of control.

I agree with Aeroflux. The graphics are truly incredible and the whole level is completely atmospheric and immersive. The controls right now are terrible, although I'm sure that's an understandable afterthought of the tech demo.

It would be a huge shame to get that wrong with such an incredible game though.

I can imagine that level (Citadel) with non-playing characters walking around bringing the place to life. It would be awesome if they could be having conversations as you walk past although I'm sure that would dramatically add to the file size but might be okay if used sparingly.

I would be more than happy for this game to take a gig or two on my iPhone - it's more than worth it.

Good luck guys!

i have a ? I have a Ipod touch 32gb 3rd Gen. I ran the Demo it does run Great but there is noticable frame drops. im wondering they said its being designed around the A4 CPU how is that going to effect us older ipoder's with the 600mhz where the new Ipods are 1ghz. I really cant drop any more cash into getting a new Pod but I do want to play the game bad.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DepressedWhales

Sounds really good... I want an iphone4 now

Is there a video of gameplay?
    Want your seriously %? --- My youtube --- Thanks everyone
    Knock, Knock - Who's there? - Dr - Dr who? - Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Mead
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

MSgt. Shooter Person

What about a droid version?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AutoPsychotic

Yes, please! I'd kill for an Android version of Infinity Blade, or even just Epic Citadel... and don't try to tell me Unreal Engine 3 can't run on 'droid, because that's already been disproved.

Why they Never think about windows phone 7
    Find out how to dowload Subway Surfers ON Pc and how to play this game and other triks about this game
    JUST VISITe http://www.subwaysurferforpc.com
    Find out how to dowload WHATSAPP FOR PC and how to run this app and other triks about this app http://whatsappforpcr.blogspot.com/