MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Will UDK end up Cross-Platform?

As a developer surrounded by developers I would like to discuss the exiting prospect of cross-platforming my game with the XBOX and PS3.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the UDK will be eventually be able to do this.

The trouble is, when is "eventually" and is it true?
    BA (Hons) Games Design.
    C# .NET Programmer, C++ Programmer, 3D Design Artist.

Project: CQB on IndieDB

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GeorgeCucu

The licences for the console SDKs are expensive. So I don't think Epic would deliver UDK for free with those expensive licences(I heard they're over $10k, I heard). Unreal Engine supports consoles.

Better, make a succesful game, ambitious at least , not flash type puzzles meant to be selled on PSN at 2$ or at XBL at 10Points. Buy a commercial licence, then make a name for yourself, is like launching a brand, becuase when people know about you, or at least about your game, they would not see the second game as a low budget idiot game. Then, maybe you could take a Unreal Engine licence and port your game to PS and Xbox.
    Last edited by grgcucu; 07-20-2010 at 04:06 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I was trying to keep costs down in the business, the official license is very expensive indeed. Okay we will see how the company's first project shapes up in the market.
    BA (Hons) Games Design.
    C# .NET Programmer, C++ Programmer, 3D Design Artist.

Project: CQB on IndieDB

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't think that the UDK will end up as a fully cross-platform engine for free. The only thing that i see is a upcoming iPhone or iPad support.

Anyway all you need to do, is getting a publisher who is able to buy a license.
    *Sarcasm ON* Yes you're right, its really that easy ;D

MSgt. Shooter Person

Epic can't deliver that, since you need a license by the console holders.
    (XNA license, PS3 devkit license etc.. those are Signed contracts between licensor and licensee)
    The only thing they could do, is make the frontend-tool console ready, meaning compile for those platforms.
    But that doesn't grant you the right to actually use it for publication.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Rather than go for a closed device such as Apples' products, it would be better if they went for something open that supports various Operating Systems of user choice, while still allowing for the same hardware as Apple uses.

With this in mind, wouldn't it be great for the 0.00001% who have heard of the BeagleBoard (and variants) to get to run unreal engine 3 on the various ARM linux distributions and, most importantly RiscOS Open.

Okay so I can dream can't I, just like we did with ut3 and linux

Iron Guard

I think it's safe to say if things continue as they are, there will be some 'flagship' gaming engine for introductory learning. This flagship will be backed by major players and with crafty dealings and subsidies will provide the best and most powerful experience where all the major players can 'gain from'.

Right now I see the UDK as a cog in the now 'We need more intelligent developers in the industry' alarm. One resounded many of times with Microsoft's XNA. I see free game engines as somthing akin to F1 cars where as much as it's costly and tedious to maintain the promotional awe and lessons learned from a massive beta testing experience makes up for the cost. Car producers take lessons learned and bragging rights and I feel the same occurs with game engine producers. I do recall some of Epics previous advertisements to hammer home their success

I think there is going to be a time where it is advantageous for console houses to make their consoles open. Right now people are willing to fork over the funds, and the high entry bar helps keep the market clean and the console producers nicely funded.

Epic as a multi platform engine (PC + Powerful Consoles ) is in the market to be as accessible as possible and to be the best engine for the most people. I think somthing in EPIC's long term goals will be 'attempting to break the barriers between console producers and small time developers'.

All in all, I think Iphones will be first to be supported - from there perhaps the console specificities will be released in another major move. I don't think EPIC is ready to take a running loss with the UDK at the benefit of our well being "Buy a commercial licence and port it" I think is the route we are current made to take. Perhaps in time EPIC can wear down Microsoft and Sony to provide what they get so many to pay for, to be free for UDK users (as least in some limited manner) (one can dream)
    Last edited by Sir. Polaris; 07-26-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling error and formatting

Redeemer

Actually, I think that if Epic is going to support mobile platforms with UDK that Android would be one of the first, unless of course Epic can iron out the legal kinks with Apple concerning their stance on non-C/C++/ObjC/Apple-JS applications.
    Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks
    Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure community
    the Unreal Admin page - Unreal server administration
    UnrealWiki - UnrealScript and UnrealEd wiki.
    UnCodeX - powerful UnrealScript tool for programmers

That's of course assuming that Google will lay down the hammer and say that for Android version (X.XX - <insert favourite snack food>) requires a GPU (SoC or otherwise) of minimum Y power.

As it stands right now, GPUs are not even in the spec... only a handful of Android phones have them.

+1 for Linux gaming. If you want gaming as an art form, you need for your art to be around in 10, 20, 50, 100 years. You really can only guarantee that compatibility will be kept on an Open Source operating system. What if Microsoft goes away or drops compatibility? Poof. Bye bye culture (unless you emulate... which often is legal but occasionally is not {Sony}... and is definitely made as hard as possible.)

When was the last time you've seen a university class discuss a work of art from the last 3-4 years? And people wonder why games are treated as consumable... their dependent platforms are. Ever notice that a lot more "artsy" games appear on the PC? Valve's still selling Half Life.

The industry itself is settling on consumable entertainment -- sell big for 2 weeks, have a couple years of tail, recycle. That's a bigger problem than anything else we're worried about right now.
    Last edited by Phopojijo; 07-23-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Core i7 920, Foxconn Renaissance, 6GB OCZ DDR3, GeForce GTX460 + GTX 260
    X-Fi Platinum, Bose QC15 Headphones, Windows 7 x86-64
    Rosewill RK-9000 (PS/2 Adapt. NKRO), Adesso Cybertablet 12000, LG Wide 20" LCD + Samsung 23" 1080p LED + LG Wide 22" Glossy LCD

Redeemer

Pretty much all Android phones (except the 2 or 3 extreme budget phones) have 3D graphics "acceleration" (it's weird to still call that acceleration, it's not 1997 anymore).

Even the GPU in the first Android is quite capable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFwYNZmyT4o

And the newer phones of course have even more awesome hardware.
    But that's all irrelevant. Afaik Epic is working on Android support for UE3, and considering that there are no legal/license restrictions to creating an UDK for Android it would be not much more than building an UDK version and putting it out there.

It doesn't really matter if UE3 doesn't run well on 50% of the Android phones out there. That's a matter for the developer using UE3. Just like UE3 doesn't run well on 75% of the PCs out there.

ps, Android isn't just for phones. Companies are also working on slates and netbooks running on Android.

pps, Android isn't really GNU/Linux, it's just a Linux kernel with a bunch of other stuff around it.
    Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks
    Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure community
    the Unreal Admin page - Unreal server administration
    UnrealWiki - UnrealScript and UnrealEd wiki.
    UnCodeX - powerful UnrealScript tool for programmers

Veteran

Tegra 2 is some pretty decent 3d hardware for mobile devices too
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

Administrator

Hi folks,

Quote Originally Posted by saymoo View Post
    Epic can't deliver that, since you need a license by the console holders.
    (XNA license, PS3 devkit license etc.. those are Signed contracts between licensor and licensee)
    This is correct.

However if you have created something great with UDK and are able to get concept approval from Sony or Microsoft for an Xbox 360 / XBLA or PlayStation3 / PSN game, along with a proper development license for one of those platforms, then we'd be more than happy to discuss an affordable source-code based Unreal Engine 3 license with you.

BTW, to get to this stage with the platform holders you have probably incorporated your company, set up a web site for it and you're not using gmail or hotmail for your email addresses anymore. You also likely have an office by now with most, or all, of your development team working in the same place. So you're well invested in your product and your team even if they're both really small.

When UDK developers reach this level we can easily deal with them on an individual basis. There are some UDK teams that have risen up to this level and it is really encouraging to see. We're doing what we can to help them.

Iron Guard

Good to hear your putting people - first-ish

Shame you rag on the 1337 Hotmail addresses

Veteran

You -can- get google to provide email for your company, without it being @gmail.com .. :P

so if you can do that, why wouldn't you?

What if you create something mediocre with UDK, and get approval from the other guys? haha (just kidding)

I think that one would find that the proper email addresses, proper office space, proper web site, etc are actually requirements that the console makers have too.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks