Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hunter

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default The Hunter

Hello all. The Hunter is my new character. I used 3DMax for modeling, rig and render. Mudbox for modeling and Texture and Photoshop for color correction.

This character is for a project I am doing, with this image I tried to show the power and soul of this dragon called Hunter.

I used a displacement map and Mental Ray to render.

Hope you like. Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very nice, but why did you tag this as a tutorial?

Iron Guard

I like just about everything about your dragon except the texture, which basically looks like just a noisy brown and doesn't conform really at all to any of the details you've sculpted into the normal map and displacement. I really think you need to go in and spend as much time on the texture as you have on everything else because right now it looks too much like a sand, mud or stone sculpture rather than a living creature. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty awesome dragon, but there is a lot of lost potential in the coloring of it.

The only other thing I would critique is the eye placement as I simply don't like it. It's in the back of the head and most living beings have the eyes near the center of the side profile, giving them balance. Dragons tend to have the corners of the mouth sit behind the eyes. Dont' get me wrong, this is your creation and I'm just giving an opinion but to me the eye placement makes him look less intelligent of a creature.

Otherwise a pretty impressive design.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Impressive... but let's see you get that into UDK.

woah, thats great

MSgt. Shooter Person

Get it into the UDK and into a nice scene will be impressive.

Whats the poly count?

Overall good design.

Why is this tagged as [TUTORIAL]?
    BA (Hons) Games Design.
    C# .NET Programmer, C++ Programmer, 3D Design Artist.

Project: CQB on IndieDB

MSgt. Shooter Person

RhinoMatte Hi, thanks, because I will put here some production files, I want to make a lot tests with this Dragon.

Hitpawz: Thanks for your comment. I must agree with you, I'm posting some new images so you can see more the texture details. Hope you like the color and eye position this time.

Hyper_Shado: Thanks, hope some day to make that like a real enemy..man game development is awsome.

richard_c: Thanks man

paulv2k4: Sorry for that tutorial button, maybe I did something wrong. In any case I will post a lot stuff about this project here, I'm making animation, new renders and a lot more. The character have 12k

Here are some new images, hope you like:

MSgt. Shooter Person

How did you make a 12k creature look so detailed? I still have no idea how people make this stuff...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very Impressive

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper_Shado View Post
    How did you make a 12k creature look so detailed? I still have no idea how people make this stuff...
    That's what you have normal maps, high resolution textures and materials (shaders) for.
    Technical Artist / Animator - InAction @ Forums.BeyondUnreal

Demoreel: Website
    TUTORIAL: Character - Maya to UDK Livestream
    CHARACTER: UDK Character / First Person Animation Rig
    SCRIPTS: Axtended Animation Manager (FBX Animation Batch Exporter) | T3D Exporter

MSgt. Shooter Person

That is mind-blowingly amazing! I'd love to see a wireframe if possible?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hyper_Shado: Hi, let me tell you. First I have 4096 px for normal or displacement texture. In this case you see the displacement, not normal. But normal map is also really good. It's all about optimization and quality, not only in the texture but in the way you plan the textures mapping. Of course the materials, render type and light properties are also very important.

thejaguarmma: Thanks

Denny: You are right man.

Kyle_Katarn: Sure Kyle, I prepared this right now:

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wow, that is damn impressive. Great job.

Iron Guard

I really wanna be able to model like that and/ or create great textures to make my models look as good as that!

Are there any tutorials on it?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know two artists using zbrush and a Wacom Bamboo (a graphic tablet with a pen).
    It's like sculpting clay. Amazing to watch.

ahaha!! great Banza!!!
    Nice model and great Textures!!!
    Fala ai banza...to começando a mexer com a unreal...
    gora to na area aqui também..rs...
    mexi um pouco com a Cry, mas a unreal parece Ser bem mais fácil....
    E ja to com uma Dúvida c puder me ajudar..rs.. HELP
    Great Work!!
    Last edited by arthurduque; 07-23-2010 at 07:00 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Working on my game or working paying the bills.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cyguard1

Nice work, but why mark it as a tutorial? Did I miss a link to it or is there not a tutorial in regards to it and just posted as such for the helluvit?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice to see to many comments, thanks.

Kyle_Katarn: Thanks man.

Snufkin: Thanks, I'm preparing a lesson material, tet's see what I can do.

eurosat7: Very nice eurosat7, in this case I just used mouse

arthurduque: Nice to see you here my friend. Ja responderam sua pergunta hehe.

KenD: Thanks, sorry KenD, I will make a lot stuff with this character, maybe I did a mistake in the foruns area. But I will make a test with this character in UDK. UDK is really fun to work.

People, thanks for the comment, all that is very important to me. And here is a new image with this character, the name of this image is "Hunters Battle".

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by banzato View Post

Snufkin: Thanks, I'm preparing a lesson material, tet's see what I can do.
    Oh yes please a tutorial would be great !

MSgt. Shooter Person

Holy crap that scene looks awesome. This'd be great to see up and running in UDK.

Skaarj

While your monster clearly shows that you are capable of handling the technical site of creating creatures (sculpting, low-res modeling, doing a uv layout, projecting the high details etc.) your scene though is missing a composition that helps to lead the eye. Currently it is just too noisy and lacks some depth.
    Some things I spotted:
    1) The background sky image is too dark - I cannot judge the time of day. From what I see I'd expect a scene in bright day light, probably only darkened by a cloud occluding the sun. But that's not what the current sky tells me.
    2) The last statement goes for the color pallette as well. Night shot? Tint the lights blue. Overcast shot? Tint them greyish and wash out the hard shadows.
    3) Overall brightness does not vary enough. Decide which dragon the eye should focus on first. Give that one the brightest spotlight. Lead the eye away from that dragon to the one you wish the viewer to spot next by giving that one the second most important light. And so on... but don't jump across the image too much - the eye enjoys traveling in lines or curves. At some place it is totally legit though to lose that focus and leave the rest to the audience.

Hope that helps. Again, I like what you presented here so far. But you can improve some stuff
    Last edited by Suzume; 07-25-2010 at 06:30 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Snufkin: Let's see man, I need to make some aniamtions and special FX

Kyle_Katarn: Thx man. I love UDK but I am just one person lol.

Suzume: Hi Suzume, thanks for your comment but I tried all that, maybe not enought to make more impresive. In fact The sky of background was killing my characters contrast. So The background more dark gave to them more shape. There are some paints that you saw the sky very dark and the sun iluminate only the focus objects. I tried 3d deph of field but I did not like. I tried to make that leg, arm, wings and ground curved to let the eye flow. I am not so expert in this field but I would love to see someone changing my work to a more strong level. Sometimes I can not talk with this peoples and they are hard to find. But everytime I am learning something new. References are also very important to me, so in one way or another, I am sure in one year or less I will look to this job complete diferent.

Now I did a new color for the first image, in your opinion what is the best color? Thanks.

Marrow Fiend

fantastic model, i'd love to see it in UDK, but that will be a lot of work for you
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Why is this thread still here? It's three pages in and fails to produce any sort of tutorial content and doesn't even use UDK.

Perhaps a forum moderator could rename it to ``WIP'' so it can die a quiet death.

Skaarj

That's really impressive all he needs now is a helmet like the bloodmounts and corpsers and some armour

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Megadeth81

Great model! Can you post your hi-res wire frame and maybe your texture maps?

MSgt. Shooter Person

geodav: Nice to see you here man. Thanks.

carlb: Good point man, but I can not change to WIP, and about tutorials if you read I will see the right moment to put something like that, because I want to put something really cool, and trust me, you will see this character in UDK. Maybe just for a test.

Grub Killer 42: Thanks. I thought to make something like that, but I am not sure how will be this design. Maybe in some future I can think in something like this. Thanks.

MegaDeth81: Hi, thanks. I already post a hi-rez wireframe here, about the textures, it's fine. Here are the textures, in this case, with normal maps, but for the renders I'm using the displacement texture:

Great work, I really like it!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by carlb View Post
    Why is this thread still here?
    Uh, because when 90% of the topics are nothing more than "how does I do this??? help plz" it's nice to see an artist show off his impressive creation?

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper_Shado View Post
    Uh, because when 90% of the topics are nothing more than "how does I do this??? help plz"
    At least those threads are usually about the UDK, this thread isn't ( yet )

MSgt. Shooter Person

He is showing off an impressive model, if you made this.. you would too.

Iron Guard

Why is this thread still here? It's three pages in and fails to produce any sort of tutorial content and doesn't even use UDK.

Perhaps a forum moderator could rename it to ``WIP'' so it can die a quiet death.
    He is already thinking of preparing a tutorial for us, he said on page 2. SO PIPE DOWN NOOB!

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    He is showing off an impressive model, if you made this.. you would too.
    No, actually, I wouldn't. For some, we just don't feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by snufikin
    He is already thinking of preparing a tutorial for us, he said on page 2. SO PIPE DOWN NOOB!
    And he has started though all he has done is post some images. Not much of a tutorial but definitely a step in the right direction. I'd like to think my message helped inspire him to do that.

And noob? ``You are not your post count.'' Remember that.

To the original poster: Keep going. What sort of tips and tricks could you contribute to this thread which relates to your model and its use in the UDK?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks everyone for the suport and people let's just be calm. lol
    I'm here to inspire some of you, because some other artists inspired me. I'm here to tell you what tools I use, my pipeline and to change knowledge with other users. In the right moment I can prepare a tutorial, but currently I am in the production. That's the point.

Here is an example of animation I am doing with this character. I am using CAT, a plugin for 3DMax that is actually part of the last 3DMax version. So here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFFly6Oero

Thanks all.

Iron Guard

No, actually, I wouldn't. For some, we just don't feel the need.

And he has started though all he has done is post some images. Not much of a tutorial but definitely a step in the right direction. I'd like to think my message helped inspire him to do that.

And noob? ``You are not your post count.'' Remember that.

To the original poster: Keep going. What sort of tips and tricks could you contribute to this thread which relates to your model and its use in the UDK?
    Your post was a piss take. Now get with the program rook!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi, one more test but this time I am using the program Realflow to simulate the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJT-NV5IY_U

I am doing some new renders and soon I put the results

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by banzato View Post
    Hi, one more test but this time I am using the program Realflow to simulate the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJT-NV5IY_U

I am doing some new renders and soon I put the results
    Honestly I am more interested in animation rather then the modeling and such.

Is there anyways you can make a video tutorial on how you animated it?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi Intermission, I am saving the production including the animation. Let's see later what I can do.

Now I did a test for facial animation in this character, hope you like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOJZtPpzf_Y

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hello guys, I finished the production and I have all in video, soon I will make a vote to see what part people want to see about the production. Maybe 10 - 15 min of video for you. The main problem is that I have all this in Portuguese language, but don´t worry, I am thinking to make an English version of this video.

To see the final animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R_Yt...layer_embedded

And here are some imagens of this production that includes effects of realflow, fumeFX, Matchmover and UDK. I hope you enjoy the final result, if you want to see a preview (in portuguese) of the course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z4HxZD-4QA

His head……look very lovely.
    His arm,like person's arm,very strong arm.
    why don't you like make him a standard Western Dragon?
    I think the tip of his tail can add something,as a weapon.

These words are translated with Google,if rude, please forgive.(include this……)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast