View Poll Results: Community: Do you want UNREAL 1 completly remade (by Epic)?

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want an official UNREAL 1 remake!

181 79.74%
  • No, I don't want UNREAL 1 to be remade.

46 20.26%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "Unreal 1 HD"

God King

It's a common clishÚ name/trend for remakes of games and it also shows that the remake is basically the same game just with better graphics, style, layout of maps, etc remains and not an inspired remake like what Cliff Bleszinski was talking about in the backstage interview. Remakes like Serious Sam HD, it's the same game with updated graphics (simply more polys, bump mapping, etc).
    That's just like today every game (or remake) that has 3D screen support has a 3D in its name (like The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D, although I am majorly confused by this trend of naming games "3D" as I'm used to 3D graphics in the means of the engine and not 3D screens via glasses or such stuff, see Duke Nukem 3D :/).
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    ...3D graphics in the means of the engine and not 3D screens via glasses or such stuff, see Duke Nukem 3D :/).
    ...And Wolfenstein 3D - It was actually a remake of a 1981 top-down RPG game called Castle Wolfenstein.
    It's a common clishÚ name/trend for remakes of games and it also shows that the remake is basically the same game just with better graphics, style, layout of maps, etc remains and not an inspired remake like what Cliff Bleszinski was talking about in the backstage interview. Remakes like Serious Sam HD, it's the same game with updated graphics (simply more polys, bump mapping, etc)..
    Actually, I think that Unreal 1 HD should be kinda like the Source Engine mod in development - "Black Mesa" (It was originally called "Black Mesa: Source"). It merely adds a few models and a bit of other content, like a new soundtrack and sound effects. Most of the content is only slightly improved content from Half-Life 2, and the maps are almost identical in layout to their counterparts in Half-Life 1 - Only a few have been trimmed free of some areas, mainly those which appeared to just be there, without any reason. In other words, it keeps itself almost completely true to the original game, just some differences, and also better graphically- and gameplay-wise, taking advantage of the features of the Source engine, like Bump-Mapping, HDR, Bloom, etc. for better graphics, and physics for interactivity and some puzzles.
    Last edited by iLikeTheUDK; 03-06-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Why doesn't Epic develop a remake of the original Unreal? It'll be cool to see what the first Unreal game looks like with 8Th gen graphics.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sly, is there any progress?
    Why doesn't Epic develop a remake of the original Unreal? It'll be cool to see what the first Unreal game looks like with 8Th gen graphics.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hyzoran

Progress, is there any sly?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think the question just answers itself.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I think the answer just questions itself.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Are you just trolling me or WHAT?!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
    Are you just trolling me or WHAT?!
    I pick choice 2: I am whating you.

MSgt. Shooter Person

In case you don't notice it already you're going well off topic. stop doing this.

MSgt. Shooter Person

So how's the project going? (and this time I want Sly to answer me, not Hyzoran to start trolling me again...).

God King

It was on hold for the last weeks as I was gone and I'm still taking a break, however, next week I'll be back on track and show some more progress.
    There are a few lighting issues on the wall plate static meshes in the ventilation room or whatever it is, I mean the room before the end of the level. I'll have to do the lighting with projectors there.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is there any progress so far?

Redeemer

I'm currently replaying UG, I still find amazing how the game still pulls me in like back then.

I hope your still working on this would love to see it rolling.
    BIGBADABOOM!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tanx100 PSN ID: HawkX4

PM sent, I would love to help on this project.
    Franklin Iheanacho - Unrealscript Programmer/3D Environmental Artist

Renegade X - http://www.renegade-x.com/
    Army Men III - http://armymen3.com/
    Neotl Empire - http://www.lordihean.net

MSgt. Shooter Person

The game is still just as great today, its when you look at it technically, the models need a detail upgrade. You don't want to change the "look" but many flat textured details can today be made full models. The other part of the game is its "mystery", so much is unexplained/unexplainable and you can't communicate with the locals.
    Home page on hold, stay tuned
    -megaboarder-

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Gmax5 View Post
    PM sent, I would love to help on this project.
    PM sent too.
    Is there any progress so far?
    Yup, now there is again, now that I have spare-time I can get back to that annoying lighting error in the ventilator-/air-conditioning-/cargo-/whateverthatroomissupposedtobe-room. I'm more than just close to removing the bug!

As I've mentioned in the thread at UOF, I wanted to show some screenshots some time ago, but life got me all busy. That was the reason I could not fix the bug and why no screenshots of the room were posted. Other than that, there are not many changes on the other rooms, mostly some minor things like better lightmaps, a few little warning stripes here and there and such stuff. Still need to achieve this destroyed look, right now everything is all-fine, as if there was no crash at all - except for the corpses that is.
    Last edited by Sly.; 07-10-2012 at 07:34 AM.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Cool! I can't wait to try out your mod when it is done sly. Hopefully Epic decides to make a remake of Unreal and Na Pali based on your mod. I don't see why they wouldn't. I don't know if Epic are making any new games at the moment but it shouldn't take them that long to redo Unreal 1 and Na Pali in UE3 graphics. Really I'd rather them remake Unreal 1 and Na Pali in UE3 graphics and leave yet to come UE4 for a new Unreal game (hopefully Unreal 4).

Good luck. I'd like to see how you are going to do the skaarj and krall and mercenary's in Unreal 1. Wish I could help but I have a few of my own projects I want to do UT3 which includes 5 new weapons, some maps and an Unreal Invasion gametype mod like that of in UT2004. I will contribute to the poll and give my signature soon once I make one.

This is an old old old wish, that we wanted before 2k3 and 2k4 for UT1 and Unreal.
    The argument is that many fans would like it redone, the problem is if it were redone it is a 're-hash'.
    Epic fears that no one would buy it and the old fans are getting older and wouldn't have time to play it anyway. A lot of content would have to be re-created that most assuredly would be changed some how, because they just don't like re-inventing the wheel.
    Remember too that these are the people who put the horse behind the cart: "From the Award Winning Studio who brought you Gears of War"
    So, unless a miracle happens, I don't think Epic cares to go back and make some residual cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    No.

I'm all for moving forward, not backward.
    I don┤t think that moving forward is necessarily a step in the right direction. Let me explain.

a) Multiplayer (Deathmatch, CTF, ..., NOT Coop)
    In the beginning a shooter had poor/pure graphics and about six weapons. Each good for its own purpose. And that was enough.
    I really enjoyed Unreal and Quake I, II and III for years. Especially with great mods such as RealCTF or Rocket Arena I really had a blast.

But then we had to move "forward". With each iteration we had to deal with more weapons, more detailed graphics, more features and more gimmicks. Suddenly we had to deal with the "one UT Flak gun for all purposes" and many other weapons which didn┤t have a distinct role.

A good shooter doesn┤t need any other weapons than these:
    1. Deadly Melee
    2. Unaccurate short range
    3. Finishing pie shooter
    4. Effective mid range beam
    5. Ballistic weapon, grenades or so
    6. Rocket launcher with a slow travel speed and good splash damage
    7. Sniper rifle
    8. The ASMD ^^

None of these weapons should kill with one hit. Except the ASMD combo or a loaded 8-ball of course.

A good shooter shouldn┤t have too detailed graphics. It just plain sucks if everything in the valley in front of you moves and one of those pixels is an enemy and all other shaking pixels are just leafs in the wind. In Unreal it was fine - if it moves and it is red => it is an enemy. Shoot it.

A good shooter shouldn┤t have any vehicles or planes. A shooter should be fast paced action where everyone should have the chance to get to an equal level in about 30s after death.

Unreal had all this. It was the perfect FPS. I even liked the true netcode. With a ping of 150 you had to aim in front of your opponent. Once you had a feel for lag, it was simple to kill something. The predicting netcode of UT was a little bit weird sometimes. Especially close quarter combat was pure luck, because the netcode was so unaccurate.

Unreal and QIIIA were the best Shooters I┤ve ever played, because they awarded skill. When I faced a not so good player in Unreal, it was a sure thing to beat him 20:0. In UT with all those one-shotting weapons it usually went 20:6 against equally skilled opponents. Just because of lucky shots - how silly.

The maps! I loved the maps in Unreal. Elevator jumping in Deck 16 - GREAT! Every map in old Unreal had a great flow - until Cliff Bleszinski got them in his hands and remade them as swiss cheese.
    The maps in Unreal had the perfect scale. Who needs maps like the redone Deck 16, which are so large and dull with bad item placement that you only use a small part of that map?

While Unreal and QIIIA have a great flow, the UT-series has some real flow killers. It starts with the method to doublejump which kills my keybord and my nerves and goes on with the way how to use adrenaline. Weird. Not comparable to strafejumping in QIIIA. Just bad design of a useless feature.

b) Single player and Coop
    I never - not before and not afterwards - played a game with such a dense athmosphere and great storyline. There are so many scenes burnt in my brain. For example the walk to the sunspire. Wow!

Conclusion: We need a new Unreal 1. Hurry! :-)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by dinwitty View Post
    The other part of the game is its "mystery", so much is unexplained/unexplainable and you can't communicate with the locals.
    Which also gives A LOT of potential for a true sequel - In there the mystery could be unveiled. So much people who played Unreal 1 would want it. And a new Unreal game could attract new players in other certain ways - Like the recently announced reboot to "Rise of The Triad".

now UE4 is upcomming and theoretical remake gotta be still better. how'd you think millions of particles could improve The Classic Unreal?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by TiMonZa View Post
    now UE4 is upcomming and theoretical remake gotta be still better. how'd you think millions of particles could improve The Classic Unreal?
    Believe me, if I would list ALL of my ideas about that, the list could probably take at least 5 posts to finish.

The Dispersion Pistol's shot wouldn't need separate emitters for the actual projectile, the muzzle flash, and the projectile hitting the wall - And it'll look awesome. All the fire, smoke, water and every other liquid, some very small flying debris from an explosion, the actual explosion, every part of the ASMD's Shock Beam, Shock Ball and the muzzle flashes, surface contact, the ASMD Combo explosion and the steam coming out of the ASMD, all the Tarydium sludge from a GES BioRifle, every bullet bounce, all the environental effects, etc.

So, bottom line: You sure hell CAN improve Unreal 1 with turbulence. Even better - It'll fit with a great deal of Unreal's original premise: Stunning the player with how amazingly realistic the graphics are, and ultimately taking advantage of that among other stuff to strongly immerse the player in it.

The Dispersion Pistol's shot wouldn't need separate emitters for the actual projectile, the muzzle flash, and the projectile hitting the wall - And it'll look awesome. All the fire, smoke, water and every other liquid, some very small flying debris from an explosion, the actual explosion, every part of the ASMD's Shock Beam, Shock Ball and the muzzle flashes, surface contact, the ASMD Combo explosion and the steam coming out of the ASMD, all the Tarydium sludge from a GES BioRifle, every bullet bounce, all the environental effects, etc.
    U gotta be kiddin' me? guess one gonna need somewhat graphpics workstation to run this beauty smooth. imagine an action scene with several kralls and skaarj shooting simultaneously: all those lighting effects, physics and particles. won't FPS rate dorp till a slideshow?
    Last edited by TiMonZa; 08-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jo.7

Sly I'm still waiting!

MSgt. Shooter Person

UT99 remake please!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: iTzJohnNY018

Even tho I don't play Unreal/Unreal Tournament as much as I used to, it would be cool if EPIC remade Unreal 1
    A Special Thanks to iDucks13 for Jungle Tai
    A Special Thanks to Xinef for Brisk Skin
    A Special Thanks to GhostofDelta2 for Reaper Onyx Medal
    A HUGE Thanks to T-A-Z for Anya
    A HUGE Thanks to Gears_Of_Law for Team Metal

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've noticed that many people in our community want to see Unreal 1 remade with all the classic music, same environments and weapons but with updated graphics/in UE3 graphics.
    I thought that it might be possible that if we show that the whole community wants an Unreal 1 remake maybe Epic will make one. Who knows?

That's my aim: Unreal 1 with new graphics that shall give you a (when you've ever played the original Unreal) nostalgic feel but shall scare you even more (like it did back then).
    Imagine you're walking in the ISV-Kran in todays graphics and you hear the scary sounds of Skaarj Pupae in the vents.

I collect signatures to show how many people want this game.

You can vote on the public poll for it or against it (whatever you want).

I hope this will convince Epic to make Unreal HD (but then please don't change gameplay, physics, environments, layout, weapon design or behavior or riddles. Just a simple remake where everything is like in U1 but with new graphics, and please don't change the classic "Unreal"-lettering then, it's probably the coolest logo ever. )

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

PS:
    Just a small explanation what Unreal was (aimed at those who only know UT99):
    Unreal was released in 1998 by Epic Megagames and was Epic's "breakthrough" title and their first 3D game. Based on Unreal's botmatch multiplayer mode, Epic started developing an expansion pack for Unreal to improve the botmatch/multiplayer mode, which was a bit flawed at that time, and this expansion pack turned into a standalone game when Epic Games realized that the huge amount of content in this expansion pack is a whole (new) game in itself. UT is basically an official spin-off of Unreal. Unreal is primary a single player game with very similar/same weapons as those you know from UT. It had a multiplayer mode which UT was based on and it had the same fast-paced gameplay and a great single player with much exploration and surprising events, a mysterious and scary atmosphere and a great presentation (with almost no cutscenes). You should give it a try if you didn't yet. By the way, it has coop, so get some friends to buy it and enjoy a "UT with story" which consists of about 40 huge levels (by huge I mean huge, games nowadays are short), without the expansion pack Return to Na Pali (=RTNP). RTNP has about 20 more!!

Read more about Unreal and UT on Liandri Archives:
    Unreal (1998)
    Unreal Tournament (1999)

Update:
    I'm working on a remake of the first level of Unreal, the Vortex Rikers, for UT3, primary to get a better knowledge of Unreal Engine 3, but also to try to show Epic that it is indeed possible to remake the game with the same style and get people to relive the past.
    It will most likely be a remake of the first five (or four if you merge the Rrajigar Mines) levels, maybe I'll even remake the whole game, if I will have enough motivation and enough support. At the moment I only intend to work until the level "Sacred Passage" and see if I will continue with it or pass it on to a trusted person who will work on it or just let the community do the rest. It mostly depends on my motivation.

If you want to see pictures of my remake and follow its progress, visit this thread at UOF or this thread at Old Unreal.
    Good job man! I hope Epic will listen to it's customers. Unreal 1 was the first pc game I bought and I love it, more than 10yrs later why haven't they make a remake?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Are you going to use the krall skins from UT3?

To be clear, I think this is a great project/cool idea, HOWEVER...

Are you saying you'd rather play an UNREAL 1 HD over a Unreal Tournament 4 ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ever/ast View Post
    To be clear, I think this is a great project/cool idea, HOWEVER...

Are you saying you'd rather play an UNREAL 1 HD over a Unreal Tournament 4 ?
    Well Unreal 1 was more of exploration, action/adventure and long SP, I think UT4 can wait.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678