Thread: RTS Tutorial

Iron Guard

Default RTS Tutorial

Hey I I see some videos and and Im hearing about some RTS test and games in UDk anyone know of any tutorials on this?
    Last edited by Hboybowen; 06-07-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

It's unlikely. There are quite a few numerous ways to set one up, but ultimately the best way is setting one up from scratch from core engine classes anyway.

Redeemer

They've been around forever. I've seen a page that talked a little bit about how to do it, I'll see if I Can find it when I get back from work.
    Fear and despair come the cry of havoc. For loose are the Dawgs for War.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    They've been around forever. I've seen a page that talked a little bit about how to do it, I'll see if I Can find it when I get back from work.
    thnx what was the titile Ill help?

MSgt. Shooter Person

The problem with rts conversions are that there is no single thread or tutorial which will teach you to make an rts from start to finish (it's just too much), perhaps you will find a topic addressing how to tackle starting one, or how to set up the camera but largely you will have to make it through trial and error.

Basic things you'll need:
    - camera
    - being able to select units and give orders
    - spawn units from buildings
    - resources

Iron Guard

I tried PMing Sacren but Im getting the cold shoulder,I believe the one he did is being used in Angels Falls First the RTS I saw on moddb but Ill see what I can do
    Last edited by Hboybowen; 06-07-2010 at 09:29 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Hboybowen View Post
    I tried PMing Sacren but Im getting the cold shoulder,I believe the one he did is being used in Angels Falls First the RTS I saw on moddb but Ill see what I can do
    FYI, the Angels Fall First game on UDK\UT3 is planetstorm, and it is no RTS.
    Any angels fall first RTS'es are not made by me.

I did make a RTS prototype on the UDK at some point, but i dont feel like sharing it, and especially not with you, all you do is beg for code. Maybe you should start using your brain and think up stuff yourself.

You might consider me greedy\unhelpfull but i've answered plenty of peoples questions both on the forums and on the unreal script irc, but not questions that go like "I want to make a RTS, give me code".

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcen View Post
    FYI, the Angels Fall First game on UDK\UT3 is planetstorm, and it is no RTS.
    Any angels fall first RTS'es are not made by me.

I did make a RTS prototype on the UDK at some point, but i dont feel like sharing it, and especially not with you, all you do is beg for code. Maybe you should start using your brain and think up stuff yourself.

You might consider me greedy\unhelpfull but i've answered plenty of peoples questions both on the forums and on the unreal script irc, but not questions that go like "I want to make a RTS, give me code".
    wow man I just made a statement I didn't bash you or anything and I get this because I ask you for help learning how to code even though I'm a artist,please dont start with me it wont end well. Second I just saw that on moddb this http://www.moddb.com/games/angels-fa...obbing-problem after I did a search about RTS on UDK and saw him ask about Homeworldhttp://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ight=homeworld and then I see a Homeworld game by treeform so I assumed you were still envolved as when I first saw that prototype I read you were I believe if not sorry for assuming you were. so don't attempt to bash me for curiosity and trying to learn coding which is something I am totally bad and nonexistent at because I'm a artist not one once of code in me so sry for trying to learn something new but I will try to be nice for once here and walk away without making to much of a noise.
    Last edited by Hboybowen; 06-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Iron Guard

I think I found the thing your talking about walnut:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=716847
    Hope this helps any coming prospects for RTS games

I see a lot of UIScene talk so if your wanting Scaleform like me your gonna have to figure it out like I am it seems incomplete but its something to look at
    Last edited by Hboybowen; 06-07-2010 at 10:46 PM.