Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator

MaxQualityMode can be enabled either by setting bUseMaxQualityMode=true in your engine.ini file, or by appending -MAXQUALITYMODE when starting udk from the command line.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zipstacrack

So I downloaded this new version. Installed. Installation is fine. Although, on startup, after it loads A_weapon_shockrifle.upk. It crashes. Re-installed, restarted, have latest drivers, 64bit machine. Any ideas? Thanks.
    (I have .net Framework 4 as I use Visual Studio 2010 if that helps?)

EDIT: Here is the problem details if your interested.
    Code:
    Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	UDK.exe
      Application Version:	1.0.6699.0
      Application Timestamp:	4bf542ea
      Fault Module Name:	mscorwks.dll
      Fault Module Version:	2.0.50727.4927
      Fault Module Timestamp:	4a27466f
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	00000000001a9652
      OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	1033
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Zipstacrack; 05-28-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Programming. Level Design. Cooking. Food is a good thing. Especially bacon.

Redeemer

I've had some problems with the Play in Editor where it would freeze and I have to kill and restart the editor. I've pinned it down to actually when I "save" the level, so because PIE will save before it runs, it froze there. So, sometimes when I hit save, the editor would basically freeze up. I've left it for 10min to see if anything happens but, nothing happens. It doesn't happen that often on my small test level but it happens almost every time on my big proper level. When it has saved once, it's ok and will work the rest of the time but to get it to save that one time I have to try over and over. I couldn't pin down "why" it happened though, like if something in the level caused it or what I have to do to get past it.

I did realize though that the level now takes insanely long to save. It does some shader kinds of stuff on every first save. So, any time I've restarted the editor and the first save after that would be really long. I can only think that because of this is where the freeze happens since that is new to this release. The freeze is instant though, I mean, the normal little info window don't even pop up to show progress and what not before it freezes. It would freeze as soon as I hit the save button.

Found one way to cause a sure crash, force delete a static mesh while it's opened in mesh editor . Kind of my fault, but i didn't realize it was open.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mafiadude1

even thought the udk now supports 64-bit binaries..where are the 32-bit binaries i cant seem to find them and my pc runs slowly on the 64-bit ones.
    All your pixels are belong to us!
    Portfolio

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi, I'm also experiencing poor performance when running the editor. I'm running an Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.83GHz, Windows 7 64bit, GeForce8600GT, NVidia driver version 197.45.. The editor viewport is laggy, and the Play-In-Editor ( ExampleMap ) runs at 7fps... Not sure why this is the case, the April version's smooth as silk.

*Edit: Turning off PostProcess ( Show PostProcess in console ) improves the framerate ALOT, I'm up to 50fps in Play-In-Editor when I deactivate PostProcess. Editor's a lot smoother after I uncheck the PostProcess flag too. Is this the actual cost or is it incompatible with my graphic drivers or something?
    Last edited by Jaggedge; 05-30-2010 at 01:41 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggedge View Post
    Hi, I'm also experiencing poor performance when running the editor. I'm running an Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.83GHz, Windows 7 64bit, GeForce8600GT, NVidia driver version 197.45.. The editor viewport is laggy, and the Play-In-Editor ( ExampleMap ) runs at 7fps... Not sure why this is the case, the April version's smooth as silk.

*Edit: Turning off PostProcess ( Show PostProcess in console ) improves the framerate ALOT, I'm up to 50fps in Play-In-Editor when I deactivate PostProcess. Editor's a lot smoother after I uncheck the PostProcess flag too. Is this the actual cost or is it incompatible with my graphic drivers or something?
    There appears to be some sort of error in the UDK in this release.

Im on a intel 3.5 ghz (oc) quadcore, nvidia 8800gtx (my 295gtx went boom!), 8 gig ram, and i lag like Ą#!" right now, in the april and earlier it runs smooth fps.

So, it has to be a bug somewhere (someone said it renders outside of FOV / occlusion culling may be broken/off) well, i dont know, but its surely a release error.
    Theia Online (Under Construction) http://www.theia-online.com
    Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I tried it on another computer, Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz, Vista 64bit, Geforce 9800GTX, Nvidia driver version 190.62 and it's working fine, 60fps play-in-editor... there's definitely a bug somewhere.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is steam required now? What if I dont want to have Steam enabled? And can these new Steam support work without having a Steamworks license?

Redeemer

Steamworks is 100% optional.

By default steam integration is enabled, but you can disable it by setting some bSteamEnabled=false property in one of the configuration files.
    Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks
    Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure community
    the Unreal Admin page - Unreal server administration
    UnrealWiki - UnrealScript and UnrealEd wiki.
    UnCodeX - powerful UnrealScript tool for programmers

MSgt. Shooter Person

Houston, we've had a problem.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Getting this everywhere now, can't seem to turn it off using anything in WorldProperties. Shows up in the in-editor game as well.

:/
    "The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year."
    -Mark Twain

yeah same here you can change this with the console command colorgrading 0

MSgt. Shooter Person

...any way to change this in the editor, or a config file?
    "The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year."
    -Mark Twain

MSgt. Shooter Person

...hello??

Still haven't fixed this. The console command gets rid of the effect for the duration of the session but I need a permanent solution.
    -Mark Twain

i think someone posted this earlier you gotta disable the tone mapping in the base postprocesschain

MSgt. Shooter Person

I used to compile my scripts by just executing the editor with the log option. Now in May's release, the result of the compiling doen't show. I need to look for it in the launch.log file. Is there an option to enable it somewhere?

Veteran

For me, all releases have only ever shown results when running "udk make", and not when running from the "Scripts are out of date" prompt. I've seen only one other person who said that they had the results show up when they ran from the prompt .. i have noticed that errors/warnings sometimes show up when run from the Scripts prompt, whereas they didn't before .. at least for me.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by MVGS View Post
    I used to compile my scripts by just executing the editor with the log option. Now in May's release, the result of the compiling doen't show. I need to look for it in the launch.log file. Is there an option to enable it somewhere?
    It works for me, even without the -log switch. You could try running the editor from a batch file instead of a shortcut.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black Fang666

i dont know if this has been reported or if anyone else has this, but blend by physics node in the anim tree editor crashes every time i attempt to use the slider

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

crap, the new features are too heavy for my laptop
    it used to run at decent, playable speeds but this isn't good...

How do I change the default OnlineSubsystem to my own? No matter what I've tried (e.g. setting bEnableSteam=false, DefaultOnlineSubsystemName= ...) it's still steamworks. Is there a way for non-licensees to use a custom onlinesubsystem so the people without valve's blessing can do something on their own?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    How do I change the default OnlineSubsystem to my own? No matter what I've tried (e.g. setting bEnableSteam=false, DefaultOnlineSubsystemName= ...) it's still steamworks. Is there a way for non-licensees to use a custom onlinesubsystem so the people without valve's blessing can do something on their own?
    Yes, by writing your own, without using the Unreal OnlineSubsystem at all. It's not very difficult to write a basic server list system using just TcpLink, and using the "open" command to setup servers or connect to them.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

So, actually it's a "no". I already have the server list stuff done and useable, that's not the problem. It's extremely inelegant because the script already calls and uses the interfaces all over the place, like calling OnlineGameInterface functions like CreateOnlineGame, RegisterPlayer or FindOnlineGame and so on and the delegates. So you end up kind of mirroring or rather adding code to call your functions because you can't have your custom onlinesub. This becomes really weird when you want to use steam or something else later on. It's exactly what the interfaces are made for, to be able to swap out different implementations without screwing with the rest too much. If there really is no way to have a custom onlinesub, I hope they add it sometime.

The Sacrifice

Why ask in a thread that has been dead for 2 years?

didn't notice it was may 2010, I thought it was for the latest udk release, sorry about that

Redeemer

Who bumped this thread anyway ? lol

still me as it appears, I used the forum search and didn't look at the date since it was among recent threads and the title led me to believe it was about the current release

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NekoDemon117

This is one old zombie thread.

Redeemer

@Fused, lol well it happens, don't worry about it anyway

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ffejnosliw

I say we let this thread die in peace. Feel free to post anything relevant to the current version in the thread stickied in this forum. Closing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123