MSgt. Shooter Person

Default My first base mesh (help)

I am beginner in Zbrush i made this base mesh for UDK
    please tell me if somthing wrong with it

(ignore the details it's not important he going to be dressed any way )

Prisoner 849

Looks good but if he's going to be dressed, why all the details? And not sure what you wanted help on since it's just a mesh. Did you want opinions on his appearance? Typically, to have correct proportion, you want 1:8 head to body ratio. Head should be 1/8th of overall height. And using bellybutton as divider, upper body to lower body ratio should be 1:1.62. Bellybutton to top of head should be 1 and bellybutton to the bottom of the feet should be 1.62. Right now it seems his legs are a bit short.

MSgt. Shooter Person

taz thx for ur help , i meant help with opinions and if some part of body is taller shorter etc..

so only the legs have problem ?

sry for bad english

MSgt. Shooter Person

Were you going for a muscular look? Because this guy just looks way too beefcake and chiseled... if he's going to have clothes, does he really need the hyper-detailed back muscle? Speaking of which, the muscles look very bizarre. Why does he have tendons sticking out of his ass? And why is there a giant line connecting his right forearm to his shoulder? Does he have veins of steel?

I say, the guy is going to have clothes anyway so get rid of all that "muscle". Proportion-wise, it looks fine. Two problems though:

1) The codpiece. Unless the guy has a hard-on I don't see why there's a giant bulge in-between the legs.
    2) It looks like the top of the hip is wrapping up around the stomach and bulging out of his body. Fix it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper_Shado View Post
    Were you going for a muscular look? Because this guy just looks way too beefcake and chiseled... if he's going to have clothes, does he really need the hyper-detailed back muscle? Speaking of which, the muscles look very bizarre. Why does he have tendons sticking out of his ass? And why is there a giant line connecting his right forearm to his shoulder? Does he have veins of steel?

I say, the guy is going to have clothes anyway so get rid of all that "muscle". Proportion-wise, it looks fine. Two problems though:

1) The codpiece. Unless the guy has a hard-on I don't see why there's a giant bulge in-between the legs.
    2) It looks like the top of the hip is wrapping up around the stomach and bulging out of his body. Fix it.
    you make me laugh ,
    i am really beginner that is why :

thanks for advice

MSgt. Shooter Person

if your planning on using epics default skeleton it might be worth checking the mesh preporsions against the skeleton

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Megadeth81

It looks to me like his pectoral muscles may be a little low. Look at this reference photo.
    Notice how the pec muscles are only a little bit below the arm pits?

Maybe more like this, maybe?

He kind of has sagging boobs, lol.

Keep it up!

Yeah the chest needs to be higher. Also the upper arm seems short compared to the lower arm, can be seen by the elbow location on the back view.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by DannRees View Post
    Yeah the chest needs to be higher. Also the upper arm seems short compared to the lower arm, can be seen by the elbow location on the back view.
    thanks but the problem is if i increase it's size it wont fit on UDK skeleton

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDeth81 View Post
    It looks to me like his pectoral muscles may be a little low. Look at this reference photo.
    Notice how the pec muscles are only a little bit below the arm pits?

Maybe more like this, maybe?

He kind of has sagging boobs, lol.

Keep it up!
    Thank you

i updated them i hope it's in correct shape now

i imported this shape as triangles my BAD so i am suffering some problems so that is why i detail it because i have to subdivide alot for fixing some areas

MSgt. Shooter Person

For a first try @ zBrush, I must say I'm pretty impressed.

Chest position now looks way better but the shaping is now really strange Unless he has some implants, haha. I would say, try to round up the chest area more.

Keep it up. You'll get somewhere.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
    For a first try @ zBrush, I must say I'm pretty impressed.

Chest position now looks way better but the shaping is now really strange Unless he has some implants, haha. I would say, try to round up the chest area more.

Keep it up. You'll get somewhere.
    do you mean this way ??

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

I agree with Deezy on both accounts. You're definitely looking better and some rounding could help.

What are you using for source material? The problem some people have when drawing or modeling the human figure from memory is that they have an idea of what the human body looks like. And most of the time it's a skewed reality. You should get in the habit of modeling from source materials, such as pictures, to hone your craft. And eventually, over time, you'll be able to do it on the fly.

But great first effort, keep up the good work!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I agree with Deezy on both accounts. You're definitely looking better and some rounding could help.

What are you using for source material? The problem some people have when drawing or modeling the human figure from memory is that they have an idea of what the human body looks like. And most of the time it's a skewed reality. You should get in the habit of modeling from source materials, such as pictures, to hone your craft. And eventually, over time, you'll be able to do it on the fly.

But great first effort, keep up the good work!
    thank you , too bad i didnt use a source material because i just wanted to make a simple mesh that i can build my clothes on

btw is it better now , or still need to be rounding ?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

It's definitely better than what you started with. If all you're going to do is model clothes on him then yeah it's probably good enough to start that. Are you planning on doing a cloth simulation over this model or are you going use z-brush to morph clothes over this body? What's your "endgame"?

The topology of the mesh should also be a consideration as it will not deform properly when animated. What's the low poly wire look like?

MSgt. Shooter Person

It's definitely better than what you started with. If all you're going to do is model clothes on him then yeah it's probably good enough to start that. Are you planning on doing a cloth simulation over this model or are you going use z-brush to morph clothes over this body? What's your "endgame"?
    i dont know the z-brush morph clothes yet i am beginner maybe i'll search for it
    but i use simple mesh from 3ds max and cover the base mesh

The topology of the mesh should also be a consideration as it will not deform properly when animated. What's the low poly wire look like?
    do you mean the base mesh or clothes
    i'll make a pic of it on 3ds max

thanks all for ur efforts and helping

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

There's no command for morph clothes. I meant are you going to use z-brush to model clothes from this mesh.

MSgt. Shooter Person

There's no command for morph clothes. I meant are you going to use z-brush to model clothes from this mesh.
    ah yes here is the pics with what i made now

and this is low poly wireframe

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Your base mesh looks high on polys. Check out this tutorial, you'll be able to see how he laid out his polys compared to your model. You're both in the 6000 range but he was able to apply more to the face and I think that his poly count includes the weapon.

http://www.paultosca.com/makingofvarga.html

For game characters you want to try to achieve your detail in texturing and normal maps, so all the extra polygons you have throughout your low-poly mesh could be cleaned up a lot. Also, on your low-poly mesh you want to focus on the silhouette and do your detail in the high-poly mesh.

Does that make sense?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Here's another example of a simple poly mesh layout. Just to give you an idea on how you can clean up your mesh. It's the default man from Mudbox.

This mesh is only 2068 polygons, btw.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here's another example of a simple poly mesh layout. Just to give you an idea on how you can clean up your mesh. It's the default man from Mudbox.

This mesh is only 2068 polygons, btw.
    nice really , btw mine is not at lowest subdivision level it's level 3 (the low poly wire)

i know it's not good because when i imported the obj i didnt know it was set to triangles not polygons , so it screw it up
    now i am more carefull
    ty

I really don't want to dishearten you but you will probablly find you will need to recreate the mesh. Poly count aside the problem youre going to have is with animation. The mesh will not deform as expected if you don't have loops in the right areas.
    Check out the last character I made, it's by no means the perfect way of doing things and it's more medium poly as it's for a cutscene but you get the idea.

http://acidtsunami.deviantart.com/ar...lete-151869266

Even that has changed since I uploaded that image, more loops were added to the elbow joint and a couple of other areas. You need to think "Is this bit gonna bend?" if so you need loops there. Generally you need at least 3 loops in an area for it to bend properly.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I really don't want to dishearten you but you will probablly find you will need to recreate the mesh. Poly count aside the problem youre going to have is with animation. The mesh will not deform as expected if you don't have loops in the right areas.
    Check out the last character I made, it's by no means the perfect way of doing things and it's more medium poly as it's for a cutscene but you get the idea.

http://acidtsunami.deviantart.com/ar...lete-151869266

Even that has changed since I uploaded that image, more loops were added to the elbow joint and a couple of other areas. You need to think "Is this bit gonna bend?" if so you need loops there. Generally you need at least 3 loops in an area for it to bend properly.
    thank you for all ur help and efforts with me dann , btw ur character is really awesome you are very talented .

about recreating the mesh i dont know really maybe i will remake with max the areas that will be showen from the mesh and take the normal maps & spect from the high poly one (which is only the hands atm)

thanks for everything everyone
    i may post the char after i finish it
    Last edited by SaMeH; 05-01-2010 at 04:58 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

just wanted to ask is best way to import from max to zbrush quads or Polygons ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Qauds are Polygons

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by JohNLA View Post
    Qauds are Polygons
    in 3ds max when i import to .obj it says you want to to be triangles or polygons or quads

there is 3 options and now i am using quads they really perform very well

just that is what i am asking.

thanks john

MSgt. Shooter Person

Huh, never noticed that option but qauds is always a good idea.
    I understand comparing quads and triangles but I thought polygon was a generic term for either.

Marrow Fiend

a polygon can have more than 4 sides, so stick to quads as they work alot better when you sub-divide the mesh
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons