Thread: UDK vs SDK

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool UDK vs SDK

I'm thinking of switching from Source SDK to UDK because source is old and I want to start making stand alone games.

What are the major similarities/differences between source and UDK?
    And what are its limitations as far as a stand alone title go?
    Does the player need UT 2004 or something to play?
    What features require a liscense other than profiting from the game?

Thanks in advance.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Similarities:
    Both engines which were used for several game titles.
    Differences:
    UE3 is younger, stronger and more evolved. Next-Gen Engine
    Does the player need UT 2004 or something to play?
    It doesn't even need UT3 to play your games!
    What features require a liscense other than profiting from the game?
    I don't get the question. If you use UDK it's free. You get all features of UDK... which I think are nearly all features which UE3 itself has. Without getting into the code and some other profesionell stuff.

If you wanna try some of the games which were made with UDK you may want to look into: www.udk.com and download some of the stated games. These are all made with UDK. I think the games are the best example for what you can achieve with the engine... but where are many more possible ways.
    Lately I've seen a guy making a written adventure with udk. just hilarious.
    Or another one is making something like a hardcore tron-style topdown arena shooter game with massive action in it.

but the main thing is. With UDK you don't make mods anymore but you make full-fledged games with tools that are used in the creating of AAA Games like Mass Effect1/2 with the engine which was used for it.
    PEW PEW!! Laser beam in your face!

MSgt. Shooter Person

thank you

would it be difficult to create a game similar to mario party in the essence that a bunch of mini games will be linked to a main "gameboard"?

would i have any problem with changing camera views and goals/keeping score
    my programming if fairly weak but kismet looks great

Redeemer

You don't need a license unless you're selling it, I don't think. I've never used the Source SDK, so I have no idea what it's like. But in terms of limitations, you can't modify the source obviously, which means you can't add in third party tools if they aren't included. Epic is doing a really good job adding more in though, like Scaleform recently, Speedtree and FaceFX. You also probably won't be able to do much to modify the online play system, since you would need to write a new server code and client which wouldn't be very easy without the source.

It does have DLLBind though, which is pretty helpful, but it doesn't have access to some things like the rendering pipeline. But you can try and add things in like VOIP, which isn't natively included.

would it be difficult to create a game similar to mario party in the essence that a bunch of mini games will be linked to a main "gameboard"?

You can change the camera pretty easily with Kismet, basically you would just override the default placement, there are tutorials on youtube for it but most of them suck, you'll need to work a bit harder to get it to work great. You COULD, probably, make a map system like that. I haven't played Mario Party before, but I've played the map in Warcraft III a few times. I don't know how well it would work online, but assuming that each one isn't a massive area, which minigames I don't think usually are, then you could probably put them all into one gameworld and just jump the player between them.
    Last edited by UnspoiledWalnut; 04-27-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Palace Guard

Easy answer.

UDK costs you very little or is free.
    Source is going to cost you.

MSgt. Shooter Person

source SDK is free with any source game
    even if i didnt have it already counter strike source is $19

but yeah im going with UDK

Palace Guard

source SDK is free with any source game
    even if i didnt have it already counter strike source is $19
    I want to start making stand alone games.
    I don't believe you can make a stand alone game using the SDK that comes with the Source games themselves. i.e, people would have to own the game first then apply your mod on top; which of course isn't standalone any more.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Good choice
    UDK is the BEST free to use Game Developing software and UE3 is the BEST engine nowadays.
    Although there could be some rivality between UE3 and SeriousEngine 3.
    Did some1 played Serious Sam HD? It's engine is amazing.
    It can process 1 million monsters onscreen.
    Loading?You can forget it,3 seconds and it's done.And it's almost photorealistic textures...It's pretty unbelievable,but I stick to UE3.
    EPIC FTW so I won't let them down,if I buyed all their games,why should I? xD
    So...deffinatly UDK

Palace Guard

Don't forget that Serious Engine can do eleventy billion krundles per second.

Redeemer

UDK is the BEST free to use Game Developing software and UE3 is the BEST engine nowadays.
    That isn't really true at all. It does what it was DESIGNED to do pretty well, but outside of that range it's pretty ****ty.

Redeemer

This is clearly a comparison thread, so expect it to be closed any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SethPDA View Post
    Did some1 played Serious Sam HD? It's engine is amazing.
    It can process 1 million monsters onscreen.
    Loading?You can forget it,3 seconds and it's done.And it's almost photorealistic textures...It's pretty unbelievable,but I stick to UE3.
    EPIC FTW so I won't let them down,if I buyed all their games,why should I? xD
    So...deffinatly UDK
    Loading times in Serious Sam HD are low because the still use low detail stuff. For example, CroTeam only updated textures and various models. But all the levels are still the simple BSD levels from the original.
    With UDK you can also get very low loading times if you keep things simple and don't use a lot of meshed and textures and small levels.

UDK gives you the power to create simple games that run on a lot of low end systems. Or very heavy and complex games.
    Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks
    Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure community
    the Unreal Admin page - Unreal server administration
    UnrealWiki - UnrealScript and UnrealEd wiki.
    UnCodeX - powerful UnrealScript tool for programmers

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

Quote Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post
    thank you

everything is very difficult to start with
    but stick with it and you can create almost anything

Quote Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
    UDK gives you the power to create simple games that run on a lot of low end systems.
    not true at all, you need a modern fairly decent system to run anything made with udk
    Last edited by tegleg; 04-28-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

Redeemer

not true at all, you need a modern fairly decent system to run anything made with udk
    Not true at all. You don't need much, maybe a gig of RAM, a 2.5 GHz processor, and a non-integrated video card with say 256 megs and you'll pretty much be good to run the games. I've had the engine run on something like that before, a 450 dollar system would be fine.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KioryFreeman3

That isn't really true at all. It does what it was DESIGNED to do pretty well, but outside of that range it's pretty ****ty.
    It was designed to make games, if you look at the vast range of games companies have made with it, I wouldn't say it was ****ty at all. Ok granted the majority of them are either third or first person shooters, but that doesn't mean that is all it can do.
    Last edited by TheFreeman; 04-28-2010 at 09:26 AM.

God King
    Gamer IDs

my pc is maybe 4 years old and has 2.7 processor 4g ram but only an nvidia 6something gfx card, wont run udk at all or anything made with udk.
    my ladies laptop is almost new with 2.1 processor 4g ram and onboard 256mb gfx, it will run udk stuff but at an unplayeble framerate. i have even tried turning all fx off, very low resolution (320x) and low res textures.
    my friends laptop is similar spec but a year older and runs at an unplayeble framerate and makes it overheat and crash.
    so you do need a half decent and newish comp, udk has xbox quality graphics so if your comp wont run games like that, it wont run udk.
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    will code for money

Redeemer

It was designed to make games, if you look at the vast range of games companies have made with it, I wouldn't say it was ****ty at all. Ok granted the majority of them are either third or first person shooters, but that doesn't mean that is all it can do.
    That's the Unreal Engine, not the UDK. There's a difference, I can't modify the source to rework the terrain system to work without lagging when it gets to big or anything. Which is why we aren't using it for any of the team projects, we couldn't get it work with basic preliminary stuff like making the level big enough.

my pc is maybe 4 years old and has 2.7 processor 4g ram but only an nvidia 6something gfx card, wont run udk at all or anything made with udk.
    2.8 GHz Pentium D, 1 gig RAM, I forget the video card I have in that computer, 256 meg low level card that I bought for ten dollars from my IT teacher from high school, ran the majority of the UDK just fine. Never had an issue really unless I built lightmaps or something. Don't know what the hell is wrong with yours, but this computer didn't even cost me 500 dollars when I bought it several years ago. I've added in half a gig of RAM, what is that like fifty dollars? And yeah integrated video cards are always worthless.

God King
    Gamer IDs

no i dont know whats wrong with my pc, it says something about an unsupported version of shader 2 (didnt know there were different versions of shader 2). tried updating the drivers but makes no difference. payed 60 euros for the gfx at the time as well. well gutted
    but my laptop runs everything fine. pb ipower gx.
    Code:
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    will code for money

Redeemer

You need SM3. You can technically emulate it I think, never had to try though. And an 80 dollar card isn't that much, the one I have on my other computer was like 300 something, but it's rendering right now. This one I intend on using as a server if I ever get a Tesla so we can test server coding whenever they finish with that, since BigWorld decided we weren't professional enough for their engine or something.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

That's the Unreal Engine, not the UDK. There's a difference, I can't modify the source to rework the terrain system to work without lagging when it gets to big or anything. Which is why we aren't using it for any of the team projects, we couldn't get it work with basic preliminary stuff like making the level big enough.
    Well I guess it comes down to what you need at the end of the day. In my opinion though, I really think the UDK is all people need to make any sort of game.

Redeemer

It's a game engine; they're just like all the modelling packages. At the end of the day, you can get the same thing done in pretty much any of them, well kinda since obviously without the source code you'll be restricted to what's included. There are ways around it, but some engines just aren't suited for certain types of games, and in our case this wasn't it. There were aways around the issues, the major one being that once we made a level space the size we needed to it lagged really bad even when we had nothing in it, which could have been resolved a number of ways. But then other games will have the issue of the gravity only pulling on the Z axis, which for us wasn't a problem but instead of spending a ton of time trying to override the standard gravitation system and create some probably glitchy system that would work for planets it would be much easier to switch to an engine that has a plausible solution to do that. I mean I'm still using the UDK for personal things, but for the MMO it wasn't ever an option since we need to write a really specialized server and client code, and for Empire City, well it actually can't really do some of the things we need it to because we need third party programs to have direct access to the rendering and animation pipeline and have no source to get them to work and don't have 30 grand to buy a full license. For most indie games yeah it's good, since most don't have a huge budget and Epic is working on getting lots of things into it to use for free, but it's just not realistic for some larger projects.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you don't have $30k then you're not a "large" project. Nor do you have a prayer of getting an MMO up and running. Sorry. Also if you're talking about a UE3 license then you should probably add a 0 to the end of that figure.

I do agree though that the UDK is not suited for all projects. I mean you could technically make a GalCiv style 4x game in it but the results would be poorer than if you used something more suited to that type of gameplay. You'll find that with any engine though. You'll also find certain design goals, like ridiculously massive seamless worlds that support 1000+ players (which a lot of people seem to want/demand), that no engine supports unless they were written specifically for that purpose. And then they tend to compromise other aspects in order to achieve their primary purpose.

Iron Guard

To me it seems people try to find reasons why they couldn't use UDK. One can replace the word UDK with the name of any other system.

The reason they fish for unsupported features that they think are just mandatory for their project is: they need an reason to not deliver anything in the end.

If anyone can show me an engine free and featurewise on even parity as UDK right now and today, I myself will send a bottle of wine to this person. lol

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Well put eAlex79

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
    You need SM3.
    And this is only a requirement for development. The final games run with SM2, if you set things up correctly.
    Nightblade, a stealth based total conversion for UT3

God King
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    And this is only a requirement for development. The final games run with SM2, if you set things up correctly.
    set things up correctly?
    please tell me more
    i would love to have it working on my pc for multiplayer tests
    Code:
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    will code for money

Veteran

You don't actually even need sm3 for development, although things do look hella nicer on SM3 cards. (i've also noticed in UE2, which didn't even do SM3, that some things look better with SM3 cards too) (wow i just used "hella" as an adjective)

My ATI x850 speed wise outperforms several much newer graphics cards that are in some of the other hardware in my house, but doesnt do SM3 .. which makes me sad sometimes .. but then I load my games on the supposedly "superior" sm3 cards, and the performance is terrible except on the highest end laptop in the place.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

Redeemer

If you don't have $30k then you're not a "large" project. Nor do you have a prayer of getting an MMO up and running. Sorry. Also if you're talking about a UE3 license then you should probably add a 0 to the end of that figure.
    I would consider 15 people a 'large' project personally, but hey I'm sure that's up to you so we should all just listen to you.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

That's the Unreal Engine, not the UDK. There's a difference, I can't modify the source to rework the terrain system
    Funny you should say that, because that's exactly what my team is already doing. You can achieve much more than you might think if you're willing to explore your options and have some cunning. In our case, we're writing a new terrain system to handle what we need.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Don't forget that Serious Engine can do eleventy billion krundles per second.
    Are you Serious?!?

Not true at all. You don't need much, maybe a gig of RAM, a 2.5 GHz processor, and a non-integrated video card with say 256 megs and you'll pretty much be good to run the games. I've had the engine run on something like that before, a 450 dollar system would be fine.
    I have a 1.4Ghz with 1gig ram, ATI 9550 or 9600 (sm2), that can run UDK games at a reasonably acceptable frame rate (at 640x480, with postprocessing off). I just realised I have a GF6200 somewhere that I can put in that that will actually give me SM3 .. i might have to do that, if I can get it working with my TV properly...
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    My ATI x850 speed wise outperforms several much newer graphics cards that are in some of the other hardware in my house, but doesnt do SM3 .. which makes me sad sometimes .. but then I load my games on the supposedly "superior" sm3 cards, and the performance is terrible except on the highest end laptop in the place.
    Sounds more as a backwards compatibility issue than anything else.....

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    Funny you should say that, because that's exactly what my team is already doing. You can achieve much more than you might think if you're willing to explore your options and have some cunning. In our case, we're writing a new terrain system to handle what we need.
    You should consider selling the new terrain system when you're done. The terrain in Unreal right now feels incredibly outdated in how it works and performs, I bet there would be a lot of interested people.
    Technical Artist / Animator - InAction @ Forums.BeyondUnreal

Demoreel: Website
    TUTORIAL: Character - Maya to UDK Livestream
    CHARACTER: UDK Character / First Person Animation Rig
    SCRIPTS: Axtended Animation Manager (FBX Animation Batch Exporter) | T3D Exporter

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NothAU

Just as a note on this, BPS approached Valve a while ago asking about licensing their Source Engine for our use. Their response was that they're gonna be tight lipped about things until we signed a NDA, but that they could say it was a "moderate" 6 figure sum.

UDK, SO much better for our purposes anyway. We're /THIS/ close to release
    Gears of War 2: \\★//
    Gears of War 3: 17 (Console + EE)
    My Twitter
    _____
    Avoidance: A Knightly Duty - RELEASING NOVEMBER 3RD - Vote for the price on http://www.4amcode.com/
    TeamBPS Website | Twitter | IndieDB

MSgt. Shooter Person

Did You get my message eTrust?
    Only adults are allowed to play children's card games.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: houghtob1234

Serious engine 3 is pretty good, graphics wise. I saw some screenshots on their site and I thought that the levels and models were just photographs.