Thread: Unreal engine 4

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Unreal engine 4

Hello, will we get Udk based on unreal engine 4? I have read in wiki that it UE4 has been in development several years now? is it true? also i have heard that Duke nukem forever will use UE4. :0))
    Last edited by ellement; 02-19-2010 at 07:28 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

IMHO, not for a while, if at all. Probably quite a bit of time after the first UE4 based game is released and lot's of problems have been fixed. That being said, Epic might not even release it at all, if they don't want to. I'm not sure if they've talked about how long they want to keep the UDK program updated/upgraded and such.
    "Much like life, its funny when you're alive, sad when you're dead".
    Portfolio
    [Tutorial] Laying the groundwork for a call of duty style health feedback system

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by dvaessen View Post
    IMHO, not for a while, if at all. Probably quite a bit of time after the first UE4 based game is released and lot's of problems have been fixed. That being said, Epic might not even release it at all, if they don't want to. I'm not sure if they've talked about how long they want to keep the UDK program updated/upgraded and such.
    Probably as long as they will update UE3.
    UE4 is mean for next gen hardware, whatever it will show up.

UE4 will be aimed mainly at the next generation of consoles. It's pointless to request anything for it before the target hardware is even announced.
    Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives

<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
    Note that your questions via PMs will be ignored if they actually belong in the forum.

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is entirely my opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if the UDK turned out extremely successful that Epic would make a UDK based on the UE4 when that comes out as well. Maybe wishful thinking on my part XD
    www.evilmrfrank.com
    -----------------------

If anything to me, the UDK would be opening Unreal Engine 3 up to the Public, just before releasing UE4.

Somehow though, I don't feel confident we'll see it any time soon.
    Currently Experimenting in UDK mapmaking features - Fun!

MSgt. Shooter Person

UE4 is still a long ways away. Hell UE3 is still pretty new. I wouldnt expect to see it within the next 2-3 years. Maybe 2013

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: prophet64 PSN ID: Piranhi

Quote Originally Posted by ellement View Post
    also i have heard that Duke Nukem forever will use UE4. :0))
    Duke Nukem 4 would have probably used UE4, it's the only game to have used all of the other unreal engines. But, it's been cancelled, and probably for the best. No game could withstand 12 years of waiting.
    Level Designer on UE4 Title - Fable: Legends.
    http://www.lionhead.com/

Twitter
    Portfolio

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhi View Post
    Duke Nukem 4 would have probably used UE4, it's the only game to have used all of the other unreal engines. But, it's been cancelled, and probably for the best. No game could withstand 12 years of waiting.
    That's not true damnit, the king lives!
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ther_duke_game
    http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6354.html
    Last edited by dvaessen; 02-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Portfolio
    [Tutorial] Laying the groundwork for a call of duty style health feedback system

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by dvaessen View Post
    That's not true damnit, the king lives!
    He's a duke, not a king. Also, his battered, comatose body may still be strapped into life support - but can that really be called living? If a full dev team couldn't resuscitate him over a 10 year period, how can the skeleton crew remaining hope to succeed.
    Nightblade, a stealth based total conversion for UT3

Palace Guard

how can the skeleton crew remaining hope to succeed
    Because, damn, they really want to. Also they'll be adopting SCRUM, AGILE and DICTATORSHIP in a BANANA REPUBLIC development team. This will only ensure success!

Quote Originally Posted by evilmrfrank View Post
    This is entirely my opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if the UDK turned out extremely successful that Epic would make a UDK based on the UE4 when that comes out as well. Maybe wishful thinking on my part XD
    Well then we better make some damn good games for UDK, then, Eh?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    He's a duke, not a king. Also, his battered, comatose body may still be strapped into life support - but can that really be called living? If a full dev team couldn't resuscitate him over a 10 year period, how can the skeleton crew remaining hope to succeed.
    No.
    Hail to the king baby
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Du-RGAwD_A

Duke is merely his first name, he's a king!
    Portfolio

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm very optimistic in this
    I would really like to see any kind of game using UE4 next year in 2011.
    Maybe UE3's UDK project will be closed when it is released but anyway,it will be awesome
    Even if it will feature nextgen consoles,I don't think that they won't even try to use the engine for PC games at least at the end of 2012 or at Q1 2013.
    I almost can't wait UE4,I hope it will have photorealistic graphics XD