MSgt. Shooter Person

Default [request] full fps tutorial

Hello there, I'm newbie in UDK scripting.

I tried to search for the FPS tutorial on the UDK. There is no full tutorial on the first person game (for example The Ball). Everything is about third person, for example, Dungeon Defense or Whizzle.

There are 3 things that I want to know:

1. Simple walking (not just fly-through).
    2. Walking with the sound of the footsteps.
    3. UI scene before the game start.

That's all that I want to know. Hopefully some of the Admin or Member can help me solving this problem. Thank you.
    Last edited by riowahab; 02-18-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Khaos Keith

well i would assume you dont see many tutorials on a first person shooter game because..... the engine starts off in FPS mode by default? haha. I'm confused on what you are looking for help on. Other then the UI menu at the beginning of the game, but there are tutorials on that.

(and i like how you said there were "4" things you wanted to know, but only listed 3. it sure kept me on my toes haha.)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Khaos Keith View Post
    well i would assume you dont see many tutorials on a first person shooter game because..... the engine starts off in FPS mode by default? haha. I'm confused on what you are looking for help on. Other then the UI menu at the beginning of the game, but there are tutorials on that.
    I know the default of the Engine is FPS. But the tutorial like

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=716237
    or
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=717260

just end with the fly-through not simple walking.

I know it is very easy to make simple walking with modification of the UTGame. But in the end after you compile, you still have the UI Scene and sound from UT Game.

What I want to know is how to make my own FPS game. Thank you.

(and i like how you said there were "4" things you wanted to know, but only listed 3. it sure kept me on my toes haha.)
    Sorry for the wrong typing, in here is 7.34AM and I have not sleep since yesterday.

Veteran

The same way you make all the other games, except you don't really need to write any code to get the camera where you want it.

Make your own UIScenes, make your own Entry map that starts them, and you're good to go.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    The same way you make all the other games, except you don't really need to write any code to get the camera where you want it.

Make your own UIScenes, make your own Entry map that starts them, and you're good to go.
    what you you mean?
    I can get rid of the gun and health bar, but if I compile there is a UI scene from Unreal Tournament. I do not want that.

That is why I want to know how to make FPS from the beginning,

1. Simple walking (not just fly-through).
    2. Walking with the sound of the footsteps.

Last edited by riowahab; 02-18-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Khaos Keith

oh you are talking about coding an entire FPS from scratch and not using UDKs setup? why do that if the setup is right there for you and all you have to do is make some modifications? seems like that would be a way quicker way to go about it. but ya if you want that kinda help, check out the programming section. cause thats gonna be a lot of code you will need to write from scratch. good luck

And you are able to turn off the UI and even the gun and stuff if you want, so when you play the game that stuff doesn't show up.

Veteran

If you don't want to extend from the UT stuff, then you'll need to code your own footsteps.

You're going to have to learn the code, if you want to change it. Or you'll have to learn TO code, if you want to start from scratch.

Here's how I'd make a FPS:

Make a UIScene called MyMainMenu that has a push button labelled "Start Game" that loads MyMap1.
    Make a MyEntryMap that has a kismet function that loads MyMainMenu.
    Make a new gametype, extending GameInfo, or it's equivalent in the UDKGame folder if there is one (I haven't even looked at the new UDKGame folder), that sets a custom HUD and all the other variables in the GameInfo to custom values.
    Set the DefaultGame in the INI files to my custom game type.

Start coding the stuff I want.

But, in reality, since the UT demo is already a fully functional FPS, I'd just start with it, instead, and learn it's code.

MSgt. Shooter Person

oh you are talking about coding an entire FPS from scratch and not using UDKs setup? why do that if the setup is right there for you and all you have to do is make some modifications?
    ya, because if you just modify the UDK, you will still have all the UI after you compile it.

seems like that would be a way quicker way to go about it. but ya if you want that kinda help, check out the programming section. cause thats gonna be a lot of code you will need to write from scratch. good luck
    nope, I did not find it. That is why I'm writing new thread here, and hopefully someone can help.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you don't want to extend from the UT stuff, then you'll need to code your own footsteps.

You're going to have to learn the code, if you want to change it. Or you'll have to learn TO code, if you want to start from scratch.

Here's how I'd make a FPS:

Make a UIScene called MyMainMenu that has a push button labelled "Start Game" that loads MyMap1.
    Make a MyEntryMap that has a kismet function that loads MyMainMenu.
    Make a new gametype, extending GameInfo, or it's equivalent in the UDKGame folder if there is one (I haven't even looked at the new UDKGame folder), that sets a custom HUD and all the other variables in the GameInfo to custom values.
    Set the DefaultGame in the INI files to my custom game type.

Start coding the stuff I want.

But, in reality, since the UT demo is already a fully functional FPS, I'd just start with it, instead, and learn it's code.
    I did not understand this one.
    I tried to learn the script using the UT demo. But I could not understand it. I do not know what is the script for walking only.

Because I'm a designer not a programmer. Hopefully some programmer that know how to do it will help me about this simple walking with a footsteps sound

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey riowahab,

walking is already coded into the engine which should make things very easy to modify. The groundspeed of the pawn is what sets the speed the player walks at. Because Unreal Tournament is a fast paced game they have the ground speed set at some extremely fast amount. If you create your own pawn class and extend from Pawn or GamePawn go down into the defaultproperties and set the Groundspeed to a lower number. For instance I find about 200 seems like a walking pace. Now say you want to make him run by pressing a button. In this case you create a playerinput and inside of playercontroller you set the groundspeed to a faster amount while a button is being pressed. Don't get too overwhelmed because honestly it is a lot easier than people realize. I suggest checking out my channel for tutorials that are offered.

http://www.youtube.com/ContagionTutorials

As for sound I am at work so I cannot give a clear description but you will need a sound of someone walking. It is always a good idea if you have a quick step sound to find a second or even third step sound so that they change off and it sounds more real. Adding sound to walking is really not all that difficult. If you look at UTPawn you should see examples there.

Finally a main menu like you mentioned involves UIScene. This honestly will be a little more advanced then what you are currently dealing with. I would suggest learning some of the easier things first than worry about the main menu. To bypass the main menu just create a exe that links to your mod. That is shown in the basic game setup with one of my tutorials at my Youtube Channel.

Hope this helps

MSgt. Shooter Person

is there anyone that would help to give a full tutorial?

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you create your own pawn class and extend from Pawn or GamePawn go down into the defaultproperties and set the Groundspeed to a lower number. For instance I find about 200 seems like a walking pace. Now say you want to make him run by pressing a button. In this case you create a playerinput and inside of playercontroller you set the groundspeed to a faster amount while a button is being pressed.
    Though you'll notice that Groundspeed is never actually checked anywhere to limit Pawn Velocity, it just happens magically. The whole Pawn Accleration -> Velocity functionality and the limit Groundspeed puts on it is hidden away somewhere in native code.

MSgt. Shooter Person

is there anyone that would help to give a full tutorial?
    No not very likely since it wouldn't do much good. You'd just then need a full tutorial for whatever the next feature you want to implement is.

Basically a simple way to do this (not necessarily the best) -
    Add a (or an array of several) walking SoundCue and a walking AudioComponent to your Pawn
    Add the sounds to your package
    Setup the corresponding defaultproperties
    Add a call in the playerwalking state ProcessMove in your PlayerController to call a footstep function
    In that function if already playing the footstep sound (check the IsPlaying property on the AudioComponent), do nothing, else play a random footstep sound

If that's all too complicated then you need to look through some simple tutorials and learn unrealscript and how the UDK works. There are lots of free tutorials on YouTube and around the forums that can help you understand the basics which will in turn allow you to do things that are complicated or not explicitly covered in tutorials.

Iron Guard

I thinking of doing one but tutorial take time valuable one take more time. An fps tutorial isn't that easy you better off working on unity there is a lot of tutorials.

Most of people will prefer spend time on their game rather than doing a tutorial for others.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sueds View Post
    I thinking of doing one but tutorial take time valuable one take more time. An fps tutorial isn't that easy you better off working on unity there is a lot of tutorials.

Most of people will prefer spend time on their game rather than doing a tutorial for others.
    It starts out AS a FPS. You don't need to DO anything to make it a FPS..
    Last edited by Blade[UG]; 02-23-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Redeemer

Like other people said, there's no need of a tutorial for something that is already there.

Now, if you want to change the sounds or hud you can simply tweak the existed code instead of writting a new one from scratch...
    It would be like buying a new car just because its tires are old and need to be replaced.

Even if you 're obsessed with the idea of making it from scratch, all you have to do is to copy the DM code partially and just re-write the audio and hud part. Can't be any simpler really.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know, but how to get rid the UIScene of UTGame? That basically I want to ask. After I compile the game, there will be UIScene of UTGame.

Basically what is the important .uc that I should create to make FPS?
    Can I just copy the code from UTGame?

For example for my pawn, can I copy from UTPawn?
    Last edited by riowahab; 02-23-2010 at 03:53 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

There is no "important .uc" they all do something and a game is made up of the combination of them. Chopping the UT out of the UT classes while still retaining the parts of its functionality that I wanted was a long and arduous process that has taken me weeks, and I'm still finding bugs that I introduced from it.

And as people have been pointing out repeatedly it's already an FPS.

There is no UIScene of UTGame. The main menu is launched as part of the default map which is controlled by the .ini files.

You can ignore, copy from, or inherit from UTPawn, all depends on what you're trying to do. Copying parts from will give you more freedom, but I will warn you be prepared to do the same to Weapon, PlayerController, InventoryManager, HUD, WeaponAttachment, and a whole host of other classes. As soon as you replace one you've almost got to replace them all as they all cast to each other.

You do understand inheritance right? If not then please put down the UDK and go learn some basic object oriented programming before bothering, you're only going to get frustrated and not accomplish anything unless you know the basics.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
    You do understand inheritance right? If not then please put down the UDK and go learn some basic object oriented programming before bothering, you're only going to get frustrated and not accomplish anything unless you know the basics.
    I know what it means. But I'm not a programmer, that is why I'm asking the tutorial on it.

Most of you were saying,
    "no need a tutorial on it, because it is a FPS game,,"

If you know how to do that, please share it. Because a designer like me do not know how to do it.

This is forum is for, right?

Please help me.

Iron Guard

yeah right but making a mod and creating a game is whole different thing. Hacking some code is probably the way you want to go if you want fast result but you'll end up on a forum asking how to do that and that. Knowing the process just by copying isn't the always the way to go.

I see your point but udk isn't just unreal mod. At least I hope to see game a little bit different than unreal.

Back to topic as people mention you don't have to do anything to make an fps so maybe I should add than you should read through the code. There is a lot of information in it.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by riowahab View Post
    I know, but how to get rid the UIScene of UTGame? That basically I want to ask. After I compile the game, there will be UIScene of UTGame.

Basically what is the important .uc that I should create to make FPS?
    Can I just copy the code from UTGame?

For example for my pawn, can I copy from UTPawn?
    exactly which "uiscene" part is it that you want to remove?

MSgt. Shooter Person

exactly which "uiscene" part is it that you want to remove?
    all of it. I want to make a new UIScene for my game.

Veteran

so, make a new UIScene, and then open it in your start map

MSgt. Shooter Person

so, make a new UIScene, and then open it in your start map
    your answer is the BEST, and it SOLVED all my problem.

thank you

MSgt. Shooter Person

is there anyway to make a new button?

I tried to make new button with new style on the UI editor, but why the style is gone when I closed the game? do I need to save it? Because I already save the packaged.